cells don’t auto-wrap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Eric Beversluis Eric Beversluis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cells don’t auto-wrap

I’ve got a spreadsheet with all cells formatted to auto-wrap, yet when I enter stuff into certain cells, it doesn’t autowrap. And sometimes the cell just shows the last bit of what I’ve entered. When I right-click and check the cell, it does show it’s set to auto-wrap.

Using LO 6.2.8.2 on Mac 10.12.6

THanks.

Eric Beversluis
Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cells don’t auto-wrap

Den tis 6 apr. 2021 kl 21:07 skrev Eric Beversluis <
[hidden email]>:

> I’ve got a spreadsheet with all cells formatted to auto-wrap, yet when I
> enter stuff into certain cells, it doesn’t autowrap. And sometimes the cell
> just shows the last bit of what I’ve entered. When I right-click and check
> the cell, it does show it’s set to auto-wrap.
>
> Using LO 6.2.8.2 on Mac 10.12.6
>
>
Strange. Mine wraps as expected. LibreOffice 7.0.4, on Manjaro Linux 20.2.1.
Maybe a bug in 6.2.8.2 that has been fixed now?


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg


> THanks.
>
> Eric Beversluis
> Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cells don’t auto-wrap

In reply to this post by Eric Beversluis
At 14:11 06/04/2021 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>I've got a spreadsheet with all cells formatted to auto-wrap, yet
>when I enter stuff into certain cells, it doesn't autowrap. And
>sometimes the cell just shows the last bit of what I've entered.
>When I right-click and check the cell, it does show it's set to auto-wrap.

I think the answer may be simple: that you have set the row height
for the relevant cells to be insufficient to allow wrapping to
happen. In this case, the last line of wrapped text is indeed what
will appear in the cell. You need to tinker with row height to enable
Calc to expand the row sufficiently to accept all your text.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-users] cells don’t auto-wrap


On 4/6/21 1:04 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 14:11 06/04/2021 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>> I've got a spreadsheet with all cells formatted to auto-wrap, yet
>> when I enter stuff into certain cells, it doesn't autowrap. And
>> sometimes the cell just shows the last bit of what I've entered. When
>> I right-click and check the cell, it does show it's set to auto-wrap.
>
> I think the answer may be simple: that you have set the row height for
> the relevant cells to be insufficient to allow wrapping to happen. In
> this case, the last line of wrapped text is indeed what will appear in
> the cell. You need to tinker with row height to enable Calc to expand
> the row sufficiently to accept all your text.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker
>
>
Double-click on the bottom line of the far left column (the row number
column, not column "A") of the row needing enlargement. If you are on
the line, the mouse pointer will change to the up-down arrow icon. Doing
so should increase the row height to accommodate the text. (It will also
decrease the row height if the text will allow it.)

Girvin



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Eric Beversluis Eric Beversluis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-users] cells don’t auto-wrap

In reply to this post by Brian Barker
It seems I want to set “Optimal Row Height” as the default. I thought that’s what I had and for some reason certain rows or certain cells weren’t following that setting. If I have the trouble again, I’ll check if the affected cell has a different row height setting for some reason. If so, it sounds like Girvin’s trick is the easy solution.

Thanks.
Eric Beversluis
Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com

On April 6, 2021 at 16:20:46, Girvin Herr ([hidden email]) wrote:

>  
> On 4/6/21 1:04 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> > At 14:11 06/04/2021 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> >> I've got a spreadsheet with all cells formatted to auto-wrap, yet
> >> when I enter stuff into certain cells, it doesn't autowrap. And
> >> sometimes the cell just shows the last bit of what I've entered. When
> >> I right-click and check the cell, it does show it's set to auto-wrap.
> >
> > I think the answer may be simple: that you have set the row height for
> > the relevant cells to be insufficient to allow wrapping to happen. In
> > this case, the last line of wrapped text is indeed what will appear in
> > the cell. You need to tinker with row height to enable Calc to expand
> > the row sufficiently to accept all your text.
> >
> > I trust this helps.
> >
> > Brian Barker
> >
> >
> Double-click on the bottom line of the far left column (the row number
> column, not column "A") of the row needing enlargement. If you are on
> the line, the mouse pointer will change to the up-down arrow icon. Doing
> so should increase the row height to accommodate the text. (It will also
> decrease the row height if the text will allow it.)
>  
> Girvin
>  
> --
It seems I want to set “Optimal Row Height” as the default. I thought that’s what I had and for some reason certain rows or certain cells weren’t following that setting. If I have the trouble again, I’ll check if the affected cell has a different row height setting for some reason. If so, it sounds like Girvin’s trick is the easy solution.

Thanks.
Eric Beversluis
Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy