compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

Ian Dalton Ian Dalton

compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

Good morning,
I'm writing this after contacting officesuite 7 support, apparently the
issue is not on their end
"The OfficeSuite Pro saves the files in native format. Please contact Libre
Office for more help."
 but it seems I can not edit a document in officesuite 7 for android, and
then continue to use it in libreoffice. the files are all in docx format
Any time I do, when I return to my PC to continue editing it, i get the
message 'general input / output error' when i try to open the file. no
other error messages happen, and nothing I can do will change the error.
I am using dropbox to synchronize between my pc and my android device. I
used to not have an issue with officesuite and microsoft word. Dropbox
fortunately saves prior copies, and I have been able to recover documents
after editing them mobile.
I have tried using ubuntu and windows 7 for libreoffice, multiple
computers, and multiple android devices running officesuite 7 pro.
Could you suggest anything I can do to try and remedy this issue?
Thank you,
Ian Dalton

Gordon Burgess-Parker Gordon Burgess-Parker

Re: compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

On 10/08/13 08:49, Ian Dalton wrote:

> Good morning,
> I'm writing this after contacting officesuite 7 support, apparently the
> issue is not on their end
> "The OfficeSuite Pro saves the files in native format. Please contact Libre
> Office for more help."
>   but it seems I can not edit a document in officesuite 7 for android, and
> then continue to use it in libreoffice. the files are all in docx format
> Any time I do, when I return to my PC to continue editing it, i get the
> message 'general input / output error' when i try to open the file. no
> other error messages happen, and nothing I can do will change the error.
> I am using dropbox to synchronize between my pc and my android device. I
> used to not have an issue with officesuite and microsoft word. Dropbox
> fortunately saves prior copies, and I have been able to recover documents
> after editing them mobile.
> I have tried using ubuntu and windows 7 for libreoffice, multiple
> computers, and multiple android devices running officesuite 7 pro.
> Could you suggest anything I can do to try and remedy this issue?
> Thank you,
> Ian Dalton

I've just created a new docx document in Oficesuite 7 Pro on my Kindle,
saved it to Skydrive, downloaded it on my Netbook running Ubuntu 13.04
with LO 4.1 and opened it with no problems.
(Mind you that was a very simple document....)

--

Registered Linux User no 240308
GBP's alternative computing:http://gbplinuxfoss.blogspot.com/

krackedpress krackedpress

On 08/10/2013 04:23 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 10/08/13 08:49, Ian Dalton wrote:
>> Good morning,
>> I'm writing this after contacting officesuite 7 support, apparently the
>> issue is not on their end
>> "The OfficeSuite Pro saves the files in native format. Please contact
>> Libre
>> Office for more help."
>>   but it seems I can not edit a document in officesuite 7 for
>> android, and
>> then continue to use it in libreoffice. the files are all in docx format
>> Any time I do, when I return to my PC to continue editing it, i get the
>> message 'general input / output error' when i try to open the file. no
>> other error messages happen, and nothing I can do will change the error.
>> I am using dropbox to synchronize between my pc and my android device. I
>> used to not have an issue with officesuite and microsoft word. Dropbox
>> fortunately saves prior copies, and I have been able to recover
>> documents
>> after editing them mobile.
>> I have tried using ubuntu and windows 7 for libreoffice, multiple
>> computers, and multiple android devices running officesuite 7 pro.
>> Could you suggest anything I can do to try and remedy this issue?
>> Thank you,
>> Ian Dalton
>>
> I've just created a new docx document in Oficesuite 7 Pro on my
> Kindle, saved it to Skydrive, downloaded it on my Netbook running
> Ubuntu 13.04 with LO 4.1 and opened it with no problems.
> (Mind you that was a very simple document....)

I was wondering on thing though - are you forced to use .docx or are you
able to use .doc as the document's format?  I see that .doc is a
supported format.Since the .docx format can be an issue even between MS
Office and LO for the more complex documents, you might rather use .doc
if available to use.

I always ask for that format when dealing with a MSO user.  I just do
not like theMSO OOXML formats, like .docx.

I have not tried to install that package on a Nook [Android] before,
since I prefer to have free software untilI know that I would use it
enough to be worth the price.  I will look into it, though, since there
is a trial version.

So try saving your document as a .doc file and see if that stops the
problem.  Since Gorden did not have problems, then I really believe it
has something to do with your document.

Have you created a document in LibreOffice 4.0.4 and saved it in a .docx
format, then opened it in your Android OfficeSuite Pro 7 package?

I still say .doc would be the better format, though.

On 10/08/13 09:58, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> I still say .doc would be the better format, though.

I agree! (I used the most incompatible format deliberately).
I'm just staggered there is STILL no Office suite for Android that will
edit and save odf documents...

Pedro Pedro

Re: compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote
I'm just staggered there is STILL no Office suite for Android that will
edit and save odf documents...
There is AndrOpenOffice (which is not by Apache) but it seems to be a direct port of the desktop version, which makes it unusable in a smartphone. Maybe in a tablet with keyboard?

The problem with ODF is that only LibreOffice and OpenOffice use it... So it's not a vendor lock in (like MS file formats) but it's a vendor lock out (because others refuse or see no point in including it)
LibreOffice also ignores other Open Source file formats like abw or gnumeric so maybe exchanging courtesies with other office suites would help...

Just my 2 cents...
Tom Tom

Re: compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

So, "The OfficeSuite Pro saves the files in native format." and refuses to allow any other format?  and it's our fault that their format is not recognised by other systems??

Of course their 'tech support' is unhelpful and refuses to accept any responsibility for using a format that only works on their own system.  If they can get you to believe that then they can sell you more copies of their own product

LibreOffice supports more formats than any other office program.  Like most programs we have a
File - "Save As ... "
although that is obviously too geeky for many people.  In  LO that goes to more formats than you could shake a stick at.

>________________________________

Tom Tom

Re: compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

Sorry, i didn't notice the actual problem hidden away in the middle there.

To work-around the problem please try saving the document locally, ie directly onto the machine you are working on, then do the edits and save locally again.  Then use whichever tool you normally upload with.

It's a known issue that seems to be cropping up a bit more often recently, perhaps with the sudden uptake of Cloud services.

>________________________________
> From: Ian Dalton <[hidden email]>
>
><snip />
>

>when I return to my PC to continue editing it, i get the
>message 'general input / output error'
>

><snip />

Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: compatibility with documents edited in officesuite 7

Hi Ian

You have already had a number of responses, Just as a test bench, have
you tried to create a document of any type in LO and then reading and
writing to it with OfficeSuite 7 Pro. If that works, it will help all of
use responding to help drill down to the issue.

I am using the Sony Ericsson Xperia (two years old now), with Android
ICS, and it has by default the OfficeSuite Pro 7.2.1318 built in, and I
have no issue with any LO documents I create or transfer to and from it,
and in .docx and .xlsx etc. formats, both in Windows 7 or Ubuntu Linux.
As has been covered in replies, there is a large choice of formats, when
choosing "Save as".

Personally I don't like Dropbox, too much bad reputation, and very poor
practised data security breeches and flaws, your data is basically too
visible to the open public space, and unsecured. Not sure if it is also
adding to the source of your problem, but not impossible. I have tried
now to upload and retrieve using the three I trust, Box, Ubuntu 1 and
YouSendIt, and no problems.

I tried three docs, two spread sheets, one in .xlsx and one .xls of 2MB,
and a .docx of 870KB. Both Windows and Linux for you, all good, I
uploaded from Linux to my mobile device, edited the files, saved then
added to online space, and downloaded them to Windows and to Linux,
re-edited them, saved and uploaded back to online storage and to device.
Device reads them fine.

Hope this help you some more to find your fault.

Andrew Brown

James Knott James Knott

Pedro wrote:
> The problem with ODF is that only LibreOffice and OpenOffice use it... So

Actually, MS Office does now too, as does KWrite.  There is also an ODF
viewer for Android.