compose characters

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

compose characters

Good afternoon
I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar on
top of it.
Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.

I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot get
it right.
All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M.
I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect
options" using : :
Yet, I cannot make this work either.
I suppose, there is a trick for this one too.

Thank you
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: compose characters

At 17:35 14/05/2019 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar
>on top of it. Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.

Aren't vectors normally indicated by a bar *under* the letter?

>I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot
>get it right. All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or
>right from the M. I would appreciate if someone could point me in
>the right direction.

You need a "combining" character. Suggestions are Unicode U+0304
"Combining Macron" or U+0305 "Combining Overline". Enter your letter
(M) and, with the cursor immediately after it, enter the combining
character - probably using Insert | Special Character... . You will
need to use a font that includes the combining character and handles
it properly: not all fonts do.

>While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect
>options" using : : Yet, I cannot make this work either. I suppose,
>there is a trick for this one too.

I don't think AutoCorrect helps you create such characters, but it
may be useful if you need the combined character often. Instead of
inserting the special character each time you need it, you could set
up a replacement so that typing a code - perhaps "M#" or "M:" or even
"M-" - would autocorrect to what you need. An alternative is simply
to type such a code and then perform a global Find & Replace after
you have prepared your text, of course.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: compose characters

Den tis 14 maj 2019 kl 10:36 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]>:

> Good afternoon
> I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar on
> top of it.
> Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.
>
> I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot get
> it right.
> All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M.
> I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
>
> While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect
> options" using : :
> Yet, I cannot make this work either.
> I suppose, there is a trick for this one too.
>
> Thank you
> Thomas

Thomas, perform a search for «Adding Buttons to Toolbars» in LO Help and
follow the instructions. The button you want to add - and use when typing

Hope this helps !

Henri

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: compose characters

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 wrote
> All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M.
> I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

It is not you, each font sets metrics for positioning the combining
diacritics--many get it wrong.

For example type "u+004du+0305", leaving the cursor after the 5. Then enter
an <alt>+x to toggle--that will combine the glyphs, but position of the
overbar will vary by font.

Liberation Serif is just wrong. Dejavu Serif and Dejavu Sans are correct, as
is Linux Libertine G--but coverage is spotty.

Noto Sans and Noto Serif are about the most consistent.

For above marks -- U+0305, or U+035e
For below marks -- U+0332, or U+035f

=-ref-=
Wikipedia article  Combining character
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_character>

Udvarias Ur Udvarias Ur

Re: compose characters

Dear Thomas,

The easiest way to do this is to use the "System Settings" program.

This will enable you to use the compose character key with literally
everything on your system.

For instructions go to

keyboard layout - How can I enable Compose key? - Ask Ubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/70784/how-can-i-enable-compose-key

Once you've set it up, you can see all the characters that are available
to you at

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/plain/nls/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.pre

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 60.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 60.5.1 sur Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

Udvarias Ur Udvarias Ur

Re: compose characters

Dear Thomas,

OOPS! My bad. I could not find the character you want in the
"freedesktop.org" list.

However, I did find 2 versions of the character (one with a short bar
the other with a long bar) in the "Character Map" program. You'll find
them in the "STIXSizeOneSym" font.

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 60.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 60.5.1 sur Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: compose characters

Den ons 15 maj 2019 kl 00:59 skrev Udvarias Ur <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Thomas,
>
> OOPS! My bad. I could not find the character you want in the
> "freedesktop.org" list.
>
> However, I did find 2 versions of the character (one with a short bar
> the other with a long bar) in the "Character Map" program. You'll find
> them in the "STIXSizeOneSym" font.
>
> On 2019-05-14 4:35 a.m., Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> > Good afternoon
> > I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar
> > on top of it.
> > Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.
> >
> > I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot
> > get it right.
> > All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M.
> > I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
> >
> > While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect
> > options" using : :
> > Yet, I cannot make this work either.
> > I suppose, there is a trick for this one too.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Thomas
> >
> --
> Udvarias Ur
>
> This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 60.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04.6 LTS.
>
> Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 60.5.1 sur
> Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

Udvarius, as you've discovered, most fonts do not support creating an « M»
via a compose key ; generally speaking it's easier to use such a key to
place a bar over a vowel than a consonant. But there's no need for the OP
to restrict himnself to a certain font ; rather than using the compose key, *in
LibreOffice* one can use the «bar over» button to produce such characters,
as per the instructions in my first reply above to the OP. Moreover, one
can easily copy such a character and paste it into, e g, an epost message ;
that is how I am able to write «M» in this reply....

Henri

federico quadri federico quadri

Re: compose characters

Has anybody ever used the command "join tables"? (don't know exact English menu name, "unisci tabella" in Italian).
I have never succeeded in using it.
Once a table has been split in two parts, no way to re-join them in a single one.
The “join tables” command is always “greyed” (not available) independently by cursor position (inside – outside table1, table2).

Federico Quadri

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: compose characters

At 16:14 15/05/2019 +0200, Federico Quadri wrote:
>Has anybody ever used the command "join tables"?

Yes.

>(don't know exact English menu name, "unisci tabella" in Italian).

It's "Merge Tables" in English, but no matter.

>I have never succeeded in using it. Once a table
>has been split in two parts, no way to re-join
>them in a single one. The "join tables" command
>is always "greyed" (not available) independently
>by cursor position (inside ­ outside table1, table2).

If you split a table, I think you will find that
an empty paragraph is inserted between the parts.
You can see this by toggling on the display of
non-printing characters. You can only join tables
that are immediately adjacent, of course, so you
will need to delete this empty paragraph before you can do so.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker