copy & paste into Thunderbird

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

copy & paste into Thunderbird

Good afternoon
I recently upgraded to LO 4.2.xx
As far as I can recall, I have NEVER had any problems selecting text
portions (or all of it) in LO and then copy that portion into a TB mail.
However, no matter what I try now, this does NOT work.
NOTHING happens.

But the same procedure works, using Openoffice Write, MS Word, text
editors (naturally), even copying from PDF files works ...

So, what is this all about?
How is this supposed to be "fixed"?

Thank you.
Thomas

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Using LO 4.2.1.1 under Windows 7 the same thing happens when I try to
"Paste" into a Thunderbird email, but when I do "Paste without formatting"
the copied text appears.  Also "Paste as citation" does not work.

I have tried copying and pasting from LO into Word and the same thing
happens.  It is only possible to paste as unformatted text.

The problem seems to be with LO.

Graham

Dave Barton Dave Barton

Thomas wrote:

> Good afternoon
> I recently upgraded to LO 4.2.xx
> As far as I can recall, I have NEVER had any problems selecting text
> portions (or all of it) in LO and then copy that portion into a TB mail.
> However, no matter what I try now, this does NOT work.
> NOTHING happens.
>
> But the same procedure works, using Openoffice Write, MS Word, text
> editors (naturally), even copying from PDF files works ...
>
> So, what is this all about?
> How is this supposed to be "fixed"?
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas

Works for me in 4.2.2.1 on Win 7 x64 no matter which paste option I use
in Thunderbird.

Dave

(2014/03/12 18:36), Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Perhaps time to post a bug-report?  Thomas and Graham, have you tried
> an earlier version of LibreOffice and found no problem there?  Have
> you tried pasting into a text-editor as an intermediary before posting
> into the final app?  Are you all also on Win7 x64?
>
> When you copy do you use the mouse right-click to do the copy bit or
> keyboard short-cut or the edit menu?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

If I were to try an earlier version, I would have to uninstall 4.2 first
... and I am too lazy for that now.
Yes, I tried copying the text portion into an editor and THEN into TH.
Works fine.
I am old and still on XP, 32 bit. But I have also a Win 7 note PC (also
32 bit) and can try it there.

> On 12 March 2014 07:51, Dave Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thomas wrote:
>>> Good afternoon
>>> I recently upgraded to LO 4.2.xx
>>> As far as I can recall, I have NEVER had any problems selecting text
>>> portions (or all of it) in LO and then copy that portion into a TB mail.
>>> However, no matter what I try now, this does NOT work.
>>> NOTHING happens.
>>>
>>> But the same procedure works, using Openoffice Write, MS Word, text
>>> editors (naturally), even copying from PDF files works ...
>>>
>>> So, what is this all about?
>>> How is this supposed to be "fixed"?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> Thomas
>> Works for me in 4.2.2.1 on Win 7 x64 no matter which paste option I use
>> in Thunderbird.
>>
>> Dave

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Thomas Blasejewicz wrote (12-03-14 10:44)
> (2014/03/12 18:36), Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> Perhaps time to post a bug-report?  Thomas and Graham, have you tried

Already reported a zillion times and fixes for next versions ;)

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

TomD TomD

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Hi :
Ok, so no need to try on the Win7 machine.  the fix is released but
you have to upgrade LO to get it.

On 12 March 2014 10:36, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Blasejewicz wrote (12-03-14 10:44)
>> (2014/03/12 18:36), Tom Davies wrote:
>>> Hi :)
>>> Perhaps time to post a bug-report?  Thomas and Graham, have you tried
>
> Already reported a zillion times and fixes for next versions ;)
>
> --
> Cor Nouws
> GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28  A038 E49D 7365 B134 80A6
> - vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
> - volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org
> - The Document Foundation Membership Committee Member

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

What version of Thunderbird, LO, and Windows[ if that is your OS] do you
have installed?  That might help.

On
      Thunderbird 24.3.0
      LO 4.1.5.3
OS is
      Linux Mint  16 with MATE

Works fine with "paste".
The formatted text was kept.

One post states that this has been "reported a zillion times".  So it
seems to me that it might be "system specific", if one system works
while others do not.

I deal with that myself.  My laptops upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 just fine,
but the desktop kept giving me too many errors.  Did that the last time
I upgraded the Os on the desktop.  It should have worked like the
laptops but it did not.  That is another case of "system specific" of a
issue with one system while 2 others running the same OS and having the
same packages installed would not work.

So, to be honest, "system specific" issues and "bugs" are hard to find
the cause and correct the issue.  It could be something with the install
of Thunderbird and/or LO.  I know the last version of TB I had issues
that the save version on a different OS does not have.  I know that some
packages run well with Win7 Pro while I have issues with Win7 Home [both
laptops].

I hope it gets fixed for your system.

TomD TomD

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Hi :)
I guess you missed that Thomas is on;

Xp 32bit, not sure what Service Pack but probably 3 or at least 2.
LO 4.2.? since it's 'recent' it could be the 4.2.1

Just not sure what version of Thunderbird.

Cor works a lot on the dev side of things so if he says it's fixed
then there is an extremely high chance it has been.  Unfortunately
that could mean the pre-release 4.3.x or some other pre-release
version.

Is this really an urgent problem for you or are you happy to wait
until after release in a few weeks time?  If you really want to
install multiple versions or have OpenOffice alongside then these
instruction might help
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel#Windows

On 12 March 2014 13:23, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What version of Thunderbird, LO, and Windows[ if that is your OS] do you
> have installed?  That might help.
>
> On
>      Thunderbird 24.3.0
>      LO 4.1.5.3
> OS is
>      Linux Mint  16 with MATE
>
> Works fine with "paste".
> The formatted text was kept.
>
> One post states that this has been "reported a zillion times".  So it seems
> to me that it might be "system specific", if one system works while others
> do not.
>
> I deal with that myself.  My laptops upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 just fine, but
> the desktop kept giving me too many errors.  Did that the last time I
> upgraded the Os on the desktop.  It should have worked like the laptops but
> it did not.  That is another case of "system specific" of a issue with one
> system while 2 others running the same OS and having the same packages
> installed would not work.
>
> So, to be honest, "system specific" issues and "bugs" are hard to find the
> cause and correct the issue.  It could be something with the install of
> Thunderbird and/or LO.  I know the last version of TB I had issues that the
> save version on a different OS does not have.  I know that some packages run
> well with Win7 Pro while I have issues with Win7 Home [both laptops].
>
> I hope it gets fixed for your system.
>

> On 03/12/2014 05:44 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>> (2014/03/12 18:36), Tom Davies wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi :)
>>> Perhaps time to post a bug-report?  Thomas and Graham, have you tried
>>> an earlier version of LibreOffice and found no problem there? Have
>>> you tried pasting into a text-editor as an intermediary before posting
>>> into the final app?  Are you all also on Win7 x64?
>>>
>>> When you copy do you use the mouse right-click to do the copy bit or
>>> keyboard short-cut or the edit menu?
>>> Regards from
>>> Tom :)
>>>
>> If I were to try an earlier version, I would have to uninstall 4.2 first
>> ... and I am too lazy for that now.
>> Yes, I tried copying the text portion into an editor and THEN into TH.
>> Works fine.
>> I am old and still on XP, 32 bit. But I have also a Win 7 note PC (also 32
>> bit) and can try it there.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Yes - any reason why you "need" 4.2.0, .1, or .2 pre-release?
I stick with the previous like till the new one gets at least to .3 or .4.
Works better for me that way.

XP 32-bit?  well it tested fine on the XP system I just tried it on.  I
have one on my "work bench" that I am waiting for a better DVD drive
[over the included CD only one].  XP-SP3.  A DELL actually.  The TB
version is the latest one from the Mozilla site.

On 03/12/2014 09:45 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> I guess you missed that Thomas is on;
>
> Xp 32bit, not sure what Service Pack but probably 3 or at least 2.
> LO 4.2.? since it's 'recent' it could be the 4.2.1
>
> Just not sure what version of Thunderbird.
>
> Cor works a lot on the dev side of things so if he says it's fixed
> then there is an extremely high chance it has been.  Unfortunately
> that could mean the pre-release 4.3.x or some other pre-release
> version.
>

> Is this really an urgent problem for you or are you happy to wait
> until after release in a few weeks time?  If you really want to
> install multiple versions or have OpenOffice alongside then these
> instruction might help
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel#Windows
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 12 March 2014 13:23, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What version of Thunderbird, LO, and Windows[ if that is your OS] do you
>> have installed?  That might help.
>>
>> On
>>       Thunderbird 24.3.0
>>       LO 4.1.5.3
>> OS is
>>       Linux Mint  16 with MATE
>>
>> Works fine with "paste".
>> The formatted text was kept.
>>
>> One post states that this has been "reported a zillion times".  So it seems
>> to me that it might be "system specific", if one system works while others
>> do not.
>>
>> I deal with that myself.  My laptops upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 just fine, but
>> the desktop kept giving me too many errors.  Did that the last time I
>> upgraded the Os on the desktop.  It should have worked like the laptops but
>> it did not.  That is another case of "system specific" of a issue with one
>> system while 2 others running the same OS and having the same packages
>> installed would not work.
>>
>> So, to be honest, "system specific" issues and "bugs" are hard to find the
>> cause and correct the issue.  It could be something with the install of
>> Thunderbird and/or LO.  I know the last version of TB I had issues that the
>> save version on a different OS does not have.  I know that some packages run
>> well with Win7 Pro while I have issues with Win7 Home [both laptops].
>>
>> I hope it gets fixed for your system.

>>> If I were to try an earlier version, I would have to uninstall 4.2 first
>>> ... and I am too lazy for that now.
>>> Yes, I tried copying the text portion into an editor and THEN into TH.
>>> Works fine.
>>> I am old and still on XP, 32 bit. But I have also a Win 7 note PC (also 32
>>> bit) and can try it there.

>> deleted

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

After sending my mail this morning I updated to LO 4.2.2.1 under Windows 7
and copy/paste works fine (as someone else has already reported).  So the
problem seems to be solely with 4.2.1.1.

Graham

TomD TomD

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Hi :)
Thanks Graham :)  Glad to hear it's working for you now.

Thomas, do you know what the 3rd digit is?  That is the crucial one.
The first 2 digits tell us which branch you are using.  The 3rd one is
roughly equivalent to the "Service Pack" numbers used in MS products.

MS only do 3 but LO does about 6.  Each service pack adds increasing
stability and smooths things out more and more.  Many of us don't use
any branch until we can use the x.x.4.  In the same way many people
don't use any MS product until it reaches at least Service Pack 1 but
often nowadays not until Service Pack 2.  Xp itself had some fairly
serious problems and it's Service Pack 1 added some more.  Sp2 fixed
almost all that and Xp became really good as a result.  So, with MS
stuff a lot of people don't use it until it reaches Sp2, some use
things as early as Sp1.

On my own machine i try to use LO as soon as possible but for me
that's around x.x.1.  I'd like to be in at the beginning with x.x.0
but never quite make it.  On colleagues machines i tend to only
upgrade when i can give them x.x.4 to avoid them having any unexpected
surprises.  They miss out on all the new stuff but they seem to prefer
it that way.

(2014/03/13 2:46), Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Thanks Graham :)  Glad to hear it's working for you now.
>
> Thomas, do you know what the 3rd digit is?  That is the crucial one.
> The first 2 digits tell us which branch you are using.  The 3rd one is
> roughly equivalent to the "Service Pack" numbers used in MS products.
>

> On 12 March 2014 15:59, Graham Luffrum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After sending my mail this morning I updated to LO 4.2.2.1 under Windows 7
>> and copy/paste works fine (as someone else has already reported).  So the
>> problem seems to be solely with 4.2.1.1.

My current version is 4.2.1.1
Two days ago I downloaded the "newest" version, but that too is 4.2.1.1
Yet, since this is not a "real problem" I can also wait until a fixed
version appears.

Denis Navas Vega Denis Navas Vega

El 2014-03-12 01:51 a.m., Dave Barton escribió:

> Thomas wrote:
>> Good afternoon
>> I recently upgraded to LO 4.2.xx
>> As far as I can recall, I have NEVER had any problems selecting text
>> portions (or all of it) in LO and then copy that portion into a TB mail.
>> However, no matter what I try now, this does NOT work.
>> NOTHING happens.
>>
>> But the same procedure works, using Openoffice Write, MS Word, text
>> editors (naturally), even copying from PDF files works ...
>>
>> So, what is this all about?
>> How is this supposed to be "fixed"?
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Thomas
>
> Works for me in 4.2.2.1 on Win 7 x64 no matter which paste option I use
> in Thunderbird.
>
> Dave

Can be copied from LO to WordPad and from there, to Thunderbird. But, as
has been informed, can not be copied to Thunderbird from LibreOffice.

I am using Windows 7 starter with service pack 1 and LibreOffice 4.2.1.1.

TomD TomD

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

Hi :)
I'm not sure which version this is fixed for.  It might be good to
post a comment in the bug-report thread that i gave a link to.  Sadly
my post got trimmed out of this thread but you can always find my post
or look through the release notes to re-find it.

On 14 March 2014 14:58, Denis Navas Vega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El 2014-03-12 01:51 a.m., Dave Barton escribió:
>>
>> Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> Good afternoon
>>> I recently upgraded to LO 4.2.xx
>>> As far as I can recall, I have NEVER had any problems selecting text
>>> portions (or all of it) in LO and then copy that portion into a TB mail.
>>> However, no matter what I try now, this does NOT work.
>>> NOTHING happens.
>>>
>>> But the same procedure works, using Openoffice Write, MS Word, text
>>> editors (naturally), even copying from PDF files works ...
>>>
>>> So, what is this all about?
>>> How is this supposed to be "fixed"?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> Thomas
>>

>> Works for me in 4.2.2.1 on Win 7 x64 no matter which paste option I use
>> in Thunderbird.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Can be copied from LO to WordPad and from there, to Thunderbird. But, as has
> been informed, can not be copied to Thunderbird from LibreOffice.
>
> I am using Windows 7 starter with service pack 1 and LibreOffice 4.2.1.1.

Tractor Tractor

Re: copy & paste into Thunderbird

I'm running LO 4.2.2.1 on Ubuntu 13.10. No problem pasting from Writer
or Calc to Thunderbird.

--

Don C. Myers