copy from Thunderbird and paste to Calc

bjlockie bjlockie

copy from Thunderbird and paste to Calc

I want to see if this works for anyone (on another than Linux platform).

1. compose a new message in Thunderbird
2. Enter
libreoffice-users Mailing List <[hidden email]>
on the to line:
3. Select all the to: and copy it to the clipboard
4. Create an empty spreadsheet
5. Past the clipboard in a cell

It should work.

Now try (quotes around the name):
"libreoffice-users Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
It only pastes what is inside the quotes.
Even past-special doesn't work.

Past into the expression bar, it works.

"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Re: copy from Thunderbird and paste to Calc

Dne 14.9.2011 19:50, James napsal(a):

> I want to see if this works for anyone (on another than Linux platform).
>
> 1. compose a new message in Thunderbird
> 2. Enter
> libreoffice-users Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> on the to line:
> 3. Select all the to: and copy it to the clipboard
> 4. Create an empty spreadsheet
> 5. Past the clipboard in a cell
>
> It should work.
>
> Now try (quotes around the name):
> "libreoffice-users Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
> It only pastes what is inside the quotes.
> Even past-special doesn't work.
>
> Past into the expression bar, it works.

On WinXP/Home
it appears as a text in the cell if pasted
into the expression bar as well as pasted into the cell being edited
(after double clicked the cell and pasted into the text cursor position.
If the cell is only selected (not being edited) the CTRL+V
pastes twoo lines into the cell and the second line includes
the link mailto:[hidden email]

Regards,
Jiri

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 14.09.2011 19:50, James wrote:

> I want to see if this works for anyone (on another than Linux platform).
>
> 1. compose a new message in Thunderbird
> 2. Enter
> libreoffice-users Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> on the to line:
> 3. Select all the to: and copy it to the clipboard
> 4. Create an empty spreadsheet
> 5. Past the clipboard in a cell
>
> It should work.
>
> Now try (quotes around the name):
> "libreoffice-users Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
> It only pastes what is inside the quotes.
> Even past-special doesn't work.
>
> Past into the expression bar, it works.

In a spreadsheet I would always prefer a list of 2 columns, one for the
mail address, another for a label and let a formula build the hyperlink.
This way I can simply edit all hyperlinks in plain text and use a
descriptive label or not.

=HYPERLINK(A1;IF(LEN(B1);B1;A1)) [show the label text B1 if any]
=HYPERLINK(IF(LEFT(A1)="mailto:";"";"mailto:")&A1;IF(LEN(B1);B1;A1))
[prepend "mailto:" if A1 does not start with "mailto:", show label B1 if
any]

bjlockie bjlockie

On 09/14/11 14:38, Hladůvka Jiří wrote:

> Dne 14.9.2011 19:50, James napsal(a):
>> I want to see if this works for anyone (on another than Linux platform).
>>
>> 1. compose a new message in Thunderbird
>> 2. Enter
>> libreoffice-users Mailing List <[hidden email]>
>> on the to line:
>> 3. Select all the to: and copy it to the clipboard
>> 4. Create an empty spreadsheet
>> 5. Paste the clipboard in a cell
>>
>> It should work.
>>
>> Now try (quotes around the name):
>> "libreoffice-users Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
>> It only pastes what is inside the quotes.
>> Even past-special doesn't work.
>>
>> Past into the expression bar, it works.
>>

> On WinXP/Home
> it appears as a text in the cell if pasted
> into the expression bar as well as pasted into the cell being edited
> (after double clicked the cell and pasted into the text cursor position.
> If the cell is only selected (not being edited) the CTRL+V
> pastes twoo lines into the cell and the second line includes
> the link mailto:[hidden email]
>
> Regards,
> Jiri

Thanks.
It adds the text "mailto:" on Windows?
It seems to paste all the text on Windows.