copy function not working

Next » 12
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

copy function not working

Good evening
I am using Ver. 5.2.6.2 (and some other minor variations) on a Windows
10 machine and having trouble with "copying text".
I think, this problem has not yet appeared on other machines.

Problem:
Select a text portion in one application -> move to Writer -> Ctrl+V
(paste).
(copy "text only" does NOT help)

However, what shows up is a text portion selected earlier and NOT the
one selected just now.
When I do the Ctrl+V (paste) trick in a text editor, the text portion in
question shows up just fine.

This happens SOMETIMES but not always. (it is nevertheless very annoying).
Currently I have to close Writer and reopen it to "solve" this problem.

Is there something a little smarter that can be done?
Thank you.
Thomas

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: copy function not working

Hi.
Are you using Ctl-c to copy.
Do you have a clipboard other than the standard windows one (equivalent
to Klipper in KDE or Clypan on Mac).
Steve

On 2018/05/11 16:49, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Hi.
> Are you using Ctl-c to copy.
> Do you have a clipboard other than the standard windows one
> (equivalent to Klipper in KDE or Clypan on Mac).
> Steve
>
> On 10/05/18 23:04, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>> Good evening
>> I am using Ver. 5.2.6.2 (and some other minor variations) on a
>> Windows 10 machine and having trouble with "copying text".
>> I think, this problem has not yet appeared on other machines.
>>
>> Problem:
>> Select a text portion in one application -> move to Writer -> Ctrl+V
>> (paste).
>> (copy "text only" does NOT help)
>>
>> However, what shows up is a text portion selected earlier and NOT the
>> one selected just now.
>> When I do the Ctrl+V (paste) trick in a text editor, the text portion
>> in question shows up just fine.
>>
>> This happens SOMETIMES but not always. (it is nevertheless very
>> annoying).
>> Currently I have to close Writer and reopen it to "solve" this problem.
>>
>> Is there something a little smarter that can be done?
>> Thank you.
>> Thomas

Yes, MOSTLY I use Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+V.
Since that did not work, I also tried the mouse.
I DO NOT have any of the clipboard things you mentioned.
(I hope find enough time tonight to install a new version ... maybe
things will improve)

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 20:04 10/05/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>I am using Ver. 5.2.6.2 (and some other minor variations) on a
>Windows 10 machine and having trouble with "copying text". I think,
>this problem has not yet appeared on other machines.
>
>Problem: Select a text portion in one application -> move to Writer
>-> Ctrl+V (paste).

That's not a "problem" until you say what doesn't happen as you
expect! And you shouldn't expect to paste anything in LibreOffice
just because you selected it in another application: you need to
*copy* it there first.

>(copy "text only" does NOT help)

This has to be in the other, unspecified application, so no-one can
say anything about that. Or do you mean pasting unformatted text?

>However, what shows up is a text portion selected earlier and NOT
>the one selected just now.

Applying Occam's razor, the simplest interpretation is merely that
the copy process did not operate correctly. Since you will normally
get no visual or audible feedback of the success of a copy operation,
it is very easy to think you have completed one when it hasn't
happened properly. Without the copy happening properly, what will be
on the clipboard is what was previously there, of course: hence your
observed problem. Many are the times when I have selected required
material and pasted something else, having forgotten to copy the
selection or perhaps fumbled doing so. Another easy trick is to copy
material and then perform minor changes involving copying in the
target document before pasting it, forgetting that this will
overwrite the clipboard contents.

Are you performing the copy (if you are doing it at all!) using
Ctrl+C or using a menu item or toolbar button in the other
application? The first thing to suspect would be a hardware problem
making that process flaky. Is your Ctrl key reliable? Does the other
Ctrl key work better or suffer from the same problem? Is the C key
problematic? Do you need to empty your keyboard of crumbs? Does it
need new batteries? Is your left mouse click sometimes unreliable?
What happens if you try an alternative mouse?

>When I do the Ctrl+V (paste) trick in a text editor, the text
>portion in question shows up just fine.

That cannot be explained by the above - except that any such
intermittent fault will show up confusing results such as this. But
remember that the clipboard is a facility of the operating system or
other application, not either of the applications between which you
are attempting to transfer material. So you shouldn't immediately
suspect LibreOffice.

>This happens SOMETIMES but not always. (it is nevertheless very annoying).

So it is indeed an intermittent problem, either with the hardware or the user.

>Currently I have to close Writer and reopen it to "solve" this problem.

I'd strongly suggest that this is a red herring, and merely another
symptom of intermittent behaviour.

>Is there something a little smarter that can be done?

Get someone to watch you work and see exactly what is happening. Can
you reproduce the problem under such conditions?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker (who happens just today to have needed to replace the
batteries in his keyboard)

On 2018/05/12 2:11, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 20:04 10/05/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>> Problem: Select a text portion in one application -> move to Writer
>> -> Ctrl+V (paste).

Sorry, most likely my explanation was not good enough.
So, I will try it again. My home computer is now on 6.0.4 - which did
NOT improve things.
(if anything, the apparent lack of scaling capability for the interface
font makes work only harder)

Use any piece of text: let's use A = help / B = rescue
* Suppose now I have a text editor open and select "A" on the editor
screen and press Ctrl+C (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
* switch to Writer
* press Ctrl+V (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
* I get "A"
So far so good.
* Next I select a different word, like B and perform the same procedure.
* Having done this a trillion times on "countless" computers using
equally "countless" different applications ->
* I DO expect to get "B" in Writer.
* However, Writer insists on copying "A". It does not matter how many
times I repeat the procedure.
* This morning it even continued to insist in copying "A" instead of "B"
AFTER I shut Writer down and reopened it.
* When I use the "Ctrl+C" + "Ctrl+V" routine to copy either "A" or "B"
into software OTHER than Libreoffice, it works as expected.

I am definitely NOT a computer expert, but I believe I can perform a
"copy and paste" action.
In particular when I do this deliberately and with great care.
One might argue, that "A" is still on the (Windows) clipboard.
But if that were true, copying it to other applications should also give
me an "A", but I actually get the requested "B".

For that reason I cannot help but assume, that there is something
strange going on in Writer.
While working in Writer I use Calc in parallel to create a list of term
and their translations.
Copying either A or B from other applications into Cals DOES NOT give me
this grief. (at least not yet)
This is a recent event and I don't thing I have had this problem with
the computer in my little clinic.
Even though this may not be any sort of "fatal error", it is nonetheless
very annoying during work.

Is this explanation a little better?
Thomas

jomali jomali

Re: copy function not working

I just did exactly what you described, using a document in a text editor
and LO 6.0.1.1 on a Mac, and the copy-paste from the text editor to LO
worked perfectly. The second text selected was the text pasted the second
time. I can only conclude that there is something wrong with your personal
setup.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 6:44 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018/05/12 2:11, Brian Barker wrote:
>
>> At 20:04 10/05/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>

>>> Problem: Select a text portion in one application -> move to Writer ->
>>> Ctrl+V (paste).
>>>

>> Sorry, most likely my explanation was not good enough.
> So, I will try it again. My home computer is now on 6.0.4 - which did NOT
> improve things.
> (if anything, the apparent lack of scaling capability for the interface
> font makes work only harder)
>
> Use any piece of text: let's use A = help / B = rescue
> * Suppose now I have a text editor open and select "A" on the editor
> screen and press Ctrl+C (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
> * switch to Writer
> * press Ctrl+V (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
> * I get "A"
> So far so good.
> * Next I select a different word, like B and perform the same procedure.
> * Having done this a trillion times on "countless" computers using equally
> "countless" different applications ->
> * I DO expect to get "B" in Writer.
> * However, Writer insists on copying "A". It does not matter how many
> times I repeat the procedure.
> * This morning it even continued to insist in copying "A" instead of "B"
> AFTER I shut Writer down and reopened it.
> * When I use the "Ctrl+C" + "Ctrl+V" routine to copy either "A" or "B"
> into software OTHER than Libreoffice, it works as expected.
>
> I am definitely NOT a computer expert, but I believe I can perform a "copy
> and paste" action.
> In particular when I do this deliberately and with great care.
> One might argue, that "A" is still on the (Windows) clipboard.
> But if that were true, copying it to other applications should also give
> me an "A", but I actually get the requested "B".
>
> For that reason I cannot help but assume, that there is something strange
> going on in Writer.
> While working in Writer I use Calc in parallel to create a list of term
> and their translations.
> Copying either A or B from other applications into Cals DOES NOT give me
> this grief. (at least not yet)
> This is a recent event and I don't thing I have had this problem with the
> computer in my little clinic.
> Even though this may not be any sort of "fatal error", it is nonetheless
> very annoying during work.
>
> Is this explanation a little better?
> Thomas

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: copy function not working

I have had a similar problem, but it's different enough that I doubt
that they are the same.

I use a Bible program called Xiphos Bible Guide on Linux Mint 18, with
LO 6.0.3.

Like you, I typically use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V for copy and paste. I often
copy and paste Bible verses from the Bible program to LO. I once found
that, with the first copy and paste using keyboard shortcuts, everything
went fine, but with the second copy/paste attempt, I would get Bible
verse "A" rather than Bible verse "B" (using your nomenclature).

What I concluded was that the Bible program wasn't using Ctrl-C with
successive copy operations. After the first copy with Ctrl-C, and for
later text copying, I would have to right-click on the selected text and
mouse-click on "Edit" > "Copy" to get the second copied text to the
clipboard.

This behavior was consistent no matter what program I was copying to, so
I concluded that there was nothing wrong with LO.

Virgil

waterbearer54 waterbearer54

Re: copy function not working

> A las 12:44 lunes 14 de mayo de 2018 Thomas Blasejewicz escribió:
> De: "Thomas Blasejewicz" <[hidden email]>
>
> In particular when I do this deliberately and with great care.
> One might argue, that "A" is still on the (Windows) clipboard.
> But if that were true, copying it to other applications should also give
> me an "A", but I actually get the requested "B".
>
> For that reason I cannot help but assume, that there is something
> strange going on in Writer.

Since the problem does not appear on either Mac or Linux, this would seem to be specific to the Windows version of LO. I will try to test this on the Win7 side of my machine tomorrow. Perhaps some other Windows users (especially Win10) could do the same?

As I recall from the original post this is an intermittent problem? If that is the case, might other processes running be interfering somehow?

Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz

Re: copy function not working

Here's a report from LO 6.0.3.2 (x64) on Windows 10, just after a brand
new Spring Update. The copy 'n paste works fine; it even retrieved the
clipboard contents accurately in between two LO sessions. I also have
LO and Windows 10 (without the spring update, so far) on a Surface. I
have never looked for this specific problem, but I proofread several
articles a month for a magazine (and did during LO 5's tenure as well),
and I would have noticed by now if text had gotten spliced into odd
places.

I wish I could give more insight into Thomas's unusual situation. Maybe
the list would like to know if Thomas is running any background
processes/utilities that aren't standard to Windows (like Dropbox, for
example), or any other applications simultaneously with LO?

Eddie

On Mon, 14 May 2018 23:52:45 +0200
"Roy Reese" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since the problem does not appear on either Mac or Linux, this would
> seem to be specific to the Windows version of LO. I will try to test
> this on the Win7 side of my machine tomorrow. Perhaps some other
> Windows users (especially Win10) could do the same?

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: copy function not working

On 05/14/2018 06:44 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Sorry, most likely my explanation was not good enough.
> So, I will try it again. My home computer is now on 6.0.4 - which did
> NOT improve things.
> (if anything, the apparent lack of scaling capability for the
> interface font makes work only harder)
>
> Use any piece of text: let's use A = help / B = rescue
> * Suppose now I have a text editor open and select "A" on the editor
> screen and press Ctrl+C (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
> * switch to Writer
> * press Ctrl+V (or use the mouse to achieve the same thing)
> * I get "A"
> So far so good.
> * Next I select a different word, like B and perform the same procedure.
> * Having done this a trillion times on "countless" computers using
> equally "countless" different applications ->
> * I DO expect to get "B" in Writer.
> * However, Writer insists on copying "A". It does not matter how many
> times I repeat the procedure.
> * This morning it even continued to insist in copying "A" instead of
> "B" AFTER I shut Writer down and reopened it.
> * When I use the "Ctrl+C" + "Ctrl+V" routine to copy either "A" or "B"
> into software OTHER than Libreoffice, it works as expected.
>
> I am definitely NOT a computer expert, but I believe I can perform a
> "copy and paste" action.
> In particular when I do this deliberately and with great care.
> One might argue, that "A" is still on the (Windows) clipboard.
> But if that were true, copying it to other applications should also
> give me an "A", but I actually get the requested "B".
>
> For that reason I cannot help but assume, that there is something
> strange going on in Writer.
> While working in Writer I use Calc in parallel to create a list of
> term and their translations.
> Copying either A or B from other applications into Cals DOES NOT give
> me this grief. (at least not yet)
> This is a recent event and I don't thing I have had this problem with
> the computer in my little clinic.
> Even though this may not be any sort of "fatal error", it is
> nonetheless very annoying during work.
>
> Is this explanation a little better?
> Thomas

I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to those
described by Thomas. I am using LO 6.0.3.2 with Linux Mint 18.

Today, I was working in Impress. I've been copying and pasting text from
one slide to another within a single Impress presentation file. Every
now and then, the copy function <Ctrl-C> does not copy the new text, so
that when I press <Ctrl-V>, instead of getting the text I just copied, I
get a previous copy. It also happened when I tried copying text from
another program (LyX) into my LO Impress.

I must say this is an entirely new behavior for me and my copy of LO. It
not only happened when copying and pasting from another program to LO,
but also from one slide to another within LO itself.

I'll keep an eye on it and try to see any consistency in the behavior.
So far, it has been intermittent.

Virgil

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 20:50 29/05/2018 +0000, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to those
>described by Thomas. I am using LO 6.0.3.2 with Linux Mint 18.
>
>Today, I was working in Impress. I've been copying and pasting text
>from one slide to another within a single Impress presentation file.
>Every now and then, the copy function <Ctrl-C> does not copy the new
>text, so that when I press <Ctrl-V>, instead of getting the text I
>just copied, I get a previous copy. It also happened when I tried
>copying text from another program (LyX) into my LO Impress.

I have to say that the simplest explanation of this for both of you -
and consequently the one recommended by Occam - is still that your
copy operation - using Ctrl+C - failed to happen. Keyboards do fail
or become unreliable, so this would hardly be surprising. Pardon my
asking this, but when did you last remove dust, cat hair, biscuit
crumbs, paper clips, and so on from your keyboard? Gravity is
effective at adding these items. Do you use the "C" key often? Are
you perhaps a member of the Caius College Cambridge Cricket Club?

Here's a suggestion. When you use Ctrl+C you see no feedback of the
process. In other words, the behaviour is exactly the same whether
the operation has succeeded or failed, so you cannot tell. This is
different from using Edit | Copy, where the Edit menu disappears when
the click is successful, but not otherwise. Similarly, using
right-click | Copy, the context menu disappears only when your click
is successful. Just test by using either of these techniques instead.
If you can reproduce the problem with the *Copy* operation performed
in either of these ways, there may be some underlying software
problem; if not, your Ctrl+C is simply not working.

>I must say this is an entirely new behavior for me and my copy of
>LO. It not only happened when copying and pasting from another
>program to LO, but also from one slide to another within LO itself.
>I'll keep an eye on it and try to see any consistency in the
>behavior. So far, it has been intermittent.

Again, this is all consistent with a hardware problem.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

On 06/03/2018 04:09 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 20:50 29/05/2018 +0000, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to those
>> described by Thomas. I am using LO 6.0.3.2 with Linux Mint 18.
>>
>> Today, I was working in Impress. I've been copying and pasting text
>> from one slide to another within a single Impress presentation file.
>> Every now and then, the copy function <Ctrl-C> does not copy the new
>> text, so that when I press <Ctrl-V>, instead of getting the text I
>> just copied, I get a previous copy. It also happened when I tried
>> copying text from another program (LyX) into my LO Impress.
>
> I have to say that the simplest explanation of this for both of you -
> and consequently the one recommended by Occam - is still that your
> copy operation - using Ctrl+C - failed to happen. Keyboards do fail or
> become unreliable, so this would hardly be surprising. Pardon my
> asking this, but when did you last remove dust, cat hair, biscuit
> crumbs, paper clips, and so on from your keyboard? Gravity is
> effective at adding these items. Do you use the "C" key often? Are you
> perhaps a member of the Caius College Cambridge Cricket Club?
>
> Here's a suggestion. When you use Ctrl+C you see no feedback of the
> process. In other words, the behaviour is exactly the same whether the
> operation has succeeded or failed, so you cannot tell. This is
> different from using Edit | Copy, where the Edit menu disappears when
> the click is successful, but not otherwise. Similarly, using
> right-click | Copy, the context menu disappears only when your click
> is successful. Just test by using either of these techniques instead.
> If you can reproduce the problem with the *Copy* operation performed
> in either of these ways, there may be some underlying software
> problem; if not, your Ctrl+C is simply not working.

Thank you for the suggestions. As to the dirty keyboard, that doesn't
seem to be the problem. If it were a bad "C" key, I would have problems
just typing "C" which I don't. If it were a dirty Ctrl key, then I'd
have a whole host of other problems with Ctrl key combinations, which I
don't. But, to be safe, I'll clean it out real well, as it has been a while.

I had also tried your other suggestion. This was a few days ago when I
first reported the problem. What happened then, if I recall correctly,
is that I was experiencing the copy/paste problems using the keyboard. I
then tried selecting text and, using my touchpad, I clicked on the Edit
menu. At that point, the "Cut" and "Copy" options were greyed out. It's
as if the program didn't recognize that I had even selected the text. I
believe at the time, I just closed out of LO and restarted it and all
was well, and since I sent that email, I haven't had any additional
copy/paste issues.

So, I'll just keep an eye on things to see if the problem comes up
again. If/when it does, I'll take some very good notes about what I'm
doing and see if I can figure out some consistent reproducible
behaviors. As it stands, this just may have just been a one-off
occurrence that may never repeat itself. I was just excited at the time
to be able to confirm what Thomas was experiencing.

Virgil

On 2018/06/03 17:09, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 20:50 29/05/2018 +0000, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to those
>> described by Thomas. I am using LO 6.0.3.2 with Linux Mint 18.
>>
>> Today, I was working in Impress. I've been copying and pasting text
>> from one slide to another within a single Impress presentation file.
>> Every now and then, the copy function <Ctrl-C> does not copy the new
>> text, so that when I press <Ctrl-V>, instead of getting the text I
>> just copied, I get a previous copy. It also happened when I tried
>> copying text from another program (LyX) into my LO Impress.
>
> I have to say that the simplest explanation of this for both of you -
> and consequently the one recommended by Occam - is still that your
> copy operation - using Ctrl+C - failed to happen. Keyboards do fail or
> become unreliable, so this would hardly be surprising. Pardon my
> asking this, but when did you last remove dust, cat hair, biscuit
> crumbs, paper clips, and so on from your keyboard? Gravity is
> effective at adding these items. Do you use the "C" key often? Are you
> perhaps a member of the Caius College Cambridge Cricket Club?
>
> Here's a suggestion. When you use Ctrl+C you see no feedback of the
> process. In other words, the behaviour is exactly the same whether the
> operation has succeeded or failed, so you cannot tell. This is
> different from using Edit | Copy, where the Edit menu disappears when
> the click is successful, but not otherwise. Similarly, using
> right-click | Copy, the context menu disappears only when your click
> is successful. Just test by using either of these techniques instead.
> If you can reproduce the problem with the *Copy* operation performed
> in either of these ways, there may be some underlying software
> problem; if not, your Ctrl+C is simply not working.
>
>> I must say this is an entirely new behavior for me and my copy of LO.
>> It not only happened when copying and pasting from another program to
>> LO, but also from one slide to another within LO itself. I'll keep an
>> eye on it and try to see any consistency in the behavior. So far, it
>> has been intermittent.
>
> Again, this is all consistent with a hardware problem.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Good evening
I do not want to be awkward, but this behavior seems to affect ONLY
Libreoffice.
(it did not bother me for 1-2 weeks now)

Trying to copy one word selected in a text editor works just fine in ALL
softwares I tried EXCEPT Writer - which insists on inserting some
earlier selection (when it is in the mood to).
How can this be a hardware problem?

Robert M McClure Robert M McClure

Re: copy function not working

I can assure you that the reported problem, ie, Control-C not copying.
Is NOT a hardware problem. On my machine it appears to happen quite
regularly under the following circumstance. Firefox is displaying a web
page. Control-C click on the URL bar. Open a Writer window. Paste
(Control-V). This ALWAYS works. Select some text in the Firefox page.
Control-C click. Go to the Writer page. Paste. About 90% of the time the
result is the previously copied URL. However, if in the Firefox page,
you click on Edit, and then Copy, and then paste in the Writer Document,
it is correct. I have performed this experiment (and similar ones)
enough times to definitely rule out a keyboard problem on my machine.
There is something strange in the interaction between Firefox and
Writer. I have tried the same experiment with the Opera browser and do
not see this problem.

System: AMD64 processor, 16GB memory, Windows 7 64 bit (up to date),
LibreOffice Version: 6.0.3.2 (x64), Firefox 60.0.1 (64-bit).

And for the record, I have a PhD in Electrical Engineering and have been
designing digital logic, computers, and writing software since 1957.

Bob McClure

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 19:45 06/06/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>On 2018/06/03 17:09, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 20:50 29/05/2018 +0000, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>>>I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to
>>>those described by Thomas. [...]
>
>I do not want to be awkward, ...

You are not being in any way awkward!

>... but this behavior seems to affect ONLY Libreoffice. Trying to
>copy one word selected in a text editor works just fine in ALL
>softwares I tried EXCEPT Writer - which insists on inserting some
>earlier selection (when it is in the mood to). How can this be a
>hardware problem?

In that case, it is not.

(But you don't mention whether you find the same effect with Edit |
Copy and right-click | Copy as with Ctrl+C.)

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 10:25 06/06/2018 -0700, Robert M McClure wrote:
>I can assure you that the reported problem, ie, Control-C not
>copying. Is NOT a hardware problem. On my machine it appears to
>happen quite regularly under the following circumstance. Firefox is
>displaying a web page. Control-C click on the URL bar. Open a Writer
>window. Paste (Control-V). This ALWAYS works. Select some text in
>the Firefox page. Control-C click. Go to the Writer page. Paste.
>About 90% of the time the result is the previously copied URL.
>However, if in the Firefox page, you click on Edit, and then Copy,
>and then paste in the Writer Document, it is correct.

That was one of the tests I was suggesting, so you have provided new
evidence. Thank you.

>I have performed this experiment (and similar ones) enough times to
>definitely rule out a keyboard problem on my machine. There is
>something strange in the interaction between Firefox and Writer. I
>have tried the same experiment with the Opera browser and do not see
>this problem.

Again, new evidence. I don't have any clever answers.

>And for the record, I have a PhD in Electrical Engineering ...

I imagine that there are plenty of people with PhDs who are not
overly competent with computers! (I've met some.) But - for the
avoidance of doubt - I was and am in no way suspecting that of you.

Brian Barker

On 06/06/18 22:45, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> On 2018/06/03 17:09, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 20:50 29/05/2018 +0000, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>>> I am starting to experience more copy/paste issues similar to those
>>> described by Thomas. I am using LO 6.0.3.2 with Linux Mint 18.
>>>
>>> Today, I was working in Impress. I've been copying and pasting text
>>> from one slide to another within a single Impress presentation file.
>>> Every now and then, the copy function <Ctrl-C> does not copy the new
>>> text, so that when I press <Ctrl-V>, instead of getting the text I
>>> just copied, I get a previous copy. It also happened when I tried
>>> copying text from another program (LyX) into my LO Impress.
>>
>> I have to say that the simplest explanation of this for both of you -
>> and consequently the one recommended by Occam - is still that your
>> copy operation - using Ctrl+C - failed to happen. Keyboards do fail
>> or become unreliable, so this would hardly be surprising. Pardon my
>> asking this, but when did you last remove dust, cat hair, biscuit
>> crumbs, paper clips, and so on from your keyboard? Gravity is
>> effective at adding these items. Do you use the "C" key often? Are
>> you perhaps a member of the Caius College Cambridge Cricket Club?
>>
>> Here's a suggestion. When you use Ctrl+C you see no feedback of the
>> process. In other words, the behaviour is exactly the same whether
>> the operation has succeeded or failed, so you cannot tell. This is
>> different from using Edit | Copy, where the Edit menu disappears when
>> the click is successful, but not otherwise. Similarly, using
>> right-click | Copy, the context menu disappears only when your click
>> is successful. Just test by using either of these techniques instead.
>> If you can reproduce the problem with the *Copy* operation performed
>> in either of these ways, there may be some underlying software
>> problem; if not, your Ctrl+C is simply not working.
>>
>>> I must say this is an entirely new behavior for me and my copy of
>>> LO. It not only happened when copying and pasting from another
>>> program to LO, but also from one slide to another within LO itself.
>>> I'll keep an eye on it and try to see any consistency in the
>>> behavior. So far, it has been intermittent.
>>
>> Again, this is all consistent with a hardware problem.
>>
>> I trust this helps.
>>
>> Brian Barker
>>

> Good evening
> I do not want to be awkward, but this behavior seems to affect ONLY
> Libreoffice.
> (it did not bother me for 1-2 weeks now)
>
> Trying to copy one word selected in a text editor works just fine in
> ALL softwares I tried EXCEPT Writer - which insists on inserting some
> earlier selection (when it is in the mood to).
> How can this be a hardware problem?

Hi.I also have experienced the same issue and only with LO, but not
(touch wood) since the last update from the OpenSuse repository.
Because I use Klipper in KDE everything I select gets put on the
clipboard. I also use Ctl-Ins/Sft-Ins as that is easier one handed.
(mouse left hand -  number pad, copy-cut-paste right hand).
I noticed that occasionally nothing pasted after a copy, or very rarely
something I had copied previously, even from another application but it
was no issue because I just pasted the copy on Klipper.
steve

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: copy function not working

Hi.
Is this then a problem of Ctl-C not working in Firefox.
If you open notepad along with writer and Ctl-V in Firefox, Ctl-C
writer, Ctl-C notepad, does paste in notepad work while not in writer.
It seems hard to get this issue reproducible.
Steve

On 07/06/18 05:25, Robert M McClure wrote:

> [...]
>>> right-click | Copy, the context menu disappears only when your click
>>> is successful. Just test by using either of these techniques
>>> instead. If you can reproduce the problem with the *Copy* operation
>>> performed in either of these ways, there may be some underlying
>>> software problem; if not, your Ctrl+C is simply not working.

>>> Again, this is all consistent with a hardware problem.
>>>
>>> I trust this helps.
>>>
>>> Brian Barker
>>>

>> Good evening
>> I do not want to be awkward, but this behavior seems to affect ONLY
>> Libreoffice.
>> (it did not bother me for 1-2 weeks now)
>>
>> Trying to copy one word selected in a text editor works just fine in
>> ALL softwares I tried EXCEPT Writer - which insists on inserting some
>> earlier selection (when it is in the mood to).

I have tried about a dozen times (about 5 or 6 with Notepad, and a few
more with VIM) without seeing the failure. As I noted earlier, the
combination of Opera browser and Libreoffice seems to work for me. Very odd.

Bob McClure

On 6/6/2018 1:18 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
> Hi.
> Is this then a problem of Ctl-C not working in Firefox.
> If you open notepad along with writer and Ctl-V in Firefox, Ctl-C
> writer, Ctl-C notepad, does paste in notepad work while not in writer.
> It seems hard to get this issue reproducible.
> Steve

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: copy function not working

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 08:18:33 +1200
Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
> Is this then a problem of Ctl-C not working in Firefox.
> If you open notepad along with writer and Ctl-V in Firefox, Ctl-C
> writer, Ctl-C notepad, does paste in notepad work while not in writer.
> It seems hard to get this issue reproducible.
> Steve

Note that Robert is using Windows whilst you are using Linux. The copy
and paste mechanisms are different between Windows and X and whichever
desktop you are running. It's quite a complex area that's not well
understood.