copying a ODS file and setting some cells to value in old file

Fred James-2 Fred James-2

copying a ODS file and setting some cells to value in old file

(Please forgive me if this is a duplicate ... thank you)

I do this every year, but this year I am experiencing problems

OS Mageia 7, Plasma
LibreOffice 6.2.8.2

The original file is an 18 sheet ODS file used for budget purposes

I can successfully copy the original file (in original location) to the
new file (in new location), either by ...
     open the old file and save-as (File -> Save As)
         or
     open Dolphin file manager, copy the old file, paste the file into a
new location, and rename it to the new file
         or
     open a terminal and perform the copy operation there (cp
oldlocation/oldfilename newlocation/newfilename

Then in the new file, I delete unwanted sheets and data to start the
year fresh.  Next I set the values of some cells in the new file, to the
values of some cells in the old file. (Example:
='file:///home/fredjame/mystuff/budget/2019/budget_2019.ods'#$'TD
December 2019'.F114)

This has always worked well in the past, but this year, I am getting an
error in the destination cell ... at first that was ErrL514, and now it
is Err:540.

Can you advise, please?
Thank you
Regards
Fred James

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: copying a ODS file and setting some cells to value in old file

https://help.libreoffice.org/6.3/ar/text/scalc/05/02140000.html?DbPAR=CALC

Fred James-2 Fred James-2

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Den ons 11 dec. 2019 kl 19:55 skrev Fred James <[hidden email]>:
>
>> (Please forgive me if this is a duplicate ... thank you)
>>
>> I do this every year, but this year I am experiencing problems
>>
>> OS Mageia 7, Plasma
>> LibreOffice 6.2.8.2
>>
>> The original file is an 18 sheet ODS file used for budget purposes
>>
>> I can successfully copy the original file (in original location) to the
>> new file (in new location), either by ...
>>       open the old file and save-as (File -> Save As)
>>           or
>>       open Dolphin file manager, copy the old file, paste the file into a
>> new location, and rename it to the new file
>>           or
>>       open a terminal and perform the copy operation there (cp
>> oldlocation/oldfilename newlocation/newfilename
>>
>> Then in the new file, I delete unwanted sheets and data to start the
>> year fresh.  Next I set the values of some cells in the new file, to the
>> values of some cells in the old file. (Example:
>> ='file:///home/fredjame/mystuff/budget/2019/budget_2019.ods'#$'TD
>> December 2019'.F114)
>>
>> This has always worked well in the past, but this year, I am getting an
>> error in the destination cell ... at first that was ErrL514, and now it
>> is Err:540.
>>
>> Can you advise, please?
>>
> https://help.libreoffice.org/6.3/ar/text/scalc/05/02140000.html?DbPAR=CALC

Thank you for the URL.  I found the definition of Err:540 ... "External
content disabled".  From there I looked at LibreOffice help and found
the instructions for inserting the reference/link to the cell in the
other ODS file "To Reference a Cell in Another Document", which I
followed right up to "Confirm the formula by clicking the green check
mark.", but I don't have a green check mark to click.

Then I tried looking for where the external content might be
disabled/enabled ... no luck so far.

Answers to the question(s) at Google seem to be written for other
versions of Libreoffice, because they don't match too well to anything
in this version (6.2.8.2)

Can you advise, please?
Thanks again
Regards