corrupt letter

bjlockie bjlockie

corrupt letter

I use lubuntu-18.10.
Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.

This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg

I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.

Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: corrupt letter

Hi,

It almost looks like if the "Monthly car payment" string was displayed
using the date format of the A1 cell. What are the language and formats
used in the A1 and B1 cells?

Rémy.
Le mercredi 21 novembre 2018 à 20:05 -0500, James a écrit :

> I use lubuntu-18.10.
> Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.
>
> This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
> http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg
>
> I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.
>
> Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

bjlockie bjlockie

Re: corrupt letter

It is not a format problem because sometimes it works.
It seems to corrupt something in the OS after a while that shows up in
libreoffice.
The most recent problem was '2' was garbled.

On 2018-11-25 12:09 p.m., Remy Gauthier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It almost looks like if the "Monthly car payment" string was displayed
> using the date format of the A1 cell. What are the language and
> formats used in the A1 and B1 cells?
>
> Rémy.
> Le mercredi 21 novembre 2018 à 20:05 -0500, James a écrit :
>> I use lubuntu-18.10.
>> Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.
>>
>> This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
>> http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg
>>
>> I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.
>>
>> Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

mikey mikey

Re: corrupt letter

I had a problem similar to this on windows 98, after I installed a legal
copy of word perfect and all 1100 fonts it came with.  Apparently windows
98 had a limit of about 500 fonts ... and above that it would get confused
after a while.

However,  more recently I used Ubuntu studio 12, which ships with about
1200 fonts,  and ported those to wasta 14 and 16 en mass. I had no issues.
I haven't ported this many to wasta 18 yet.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 4:45 PM James <[hidden email] wrote:

> It is not a format problem because sometimes it works.
> It seems to corrupt something in the OS after a while that shows up in
> libreoffice.
> The most recent problem was '2' was garbled.
>
> On 2018-11-25 12:09 p.m., Remy Gauthier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It almost looks like if the "Monthly car payment" string was displayed
> > using the date format of the A1 cell. What are the language and
> > formats used in the A1 and B1 cells?
> >
> > Rémy.
> > Le mercredi 21 novembre 2018 à 20:05 -0500, James a écrit :
> >> I use lubuntu-18.10.
> >> Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.
> >>
> >> This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
> >> http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg
> >>
> >> I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.
> >>
> >> Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

Malcolm Jaros Malcolm Jaros

Re: corrupt letter

Just a thought. Ubuntu 18.10 is a new distro and less thoroughly tested than the LTS version 18.04.
If you do not get this problem in 18.04 perhaps you should stay with that for a while.

Regards, MalJaros

I had a problem similar to this on windows 98, after I installed a legal
copy of word perfect and all 1100 fonts it came with.  Apparently windows
98 had a limit of about 500 fonts ... and above that it would get confused
after a while.

However,  more recently I used Ubuntu studio 12, which ships with about
1200 fonts,  and ported those to wasta 14 and 16 en mass. I had no issues.
I haven't ported this many to wasta 18 yet.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 4:45 PM James <[hidden email] wrote:

> It is not a format problem because sometimes it works.
> It seems to corrupt something in the OS after a while that shows up in
> libreoffice.
> The most recent problem was '2' was garbled.
>
> On 2018-11-25 12:09 p.m., Remy Gauthier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It almost looks like if the "Monthly car payment" string was displayed
> > using the date format of the A1 cell. What are the language and
> > formats used in the A1 and B1 cells?
> >
> > Rémy.
> > Le mercredi 21 novembre 2018 à 20:05 -0500, James a écrit :
> >> I use lubuntu-18.10.
> >> Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.
> >>
> >> This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
> >> http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg
> >>
> >> I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.
> >>
> >> Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

Tom Williams Tom Williams

Re: corrupt letter

On 11/21/18 5:05 PM, James wrote:

> I use lubuntu-18.10.
> Sometimes, a letter gets corrupted but I only see it in libreoffice.
>
> This example the 'p' displays as a ',':
> http://lockie.ca/lubuntu_/libreoffice.jpg
>
> I've also seen it when '2' displays garbled.
>
> Any ideas about how to track down what software has the problem?

Does this happen only in Calc or does it happen in Writer too?  Also, do
you have any special formatting in the cells?

Peace...

"The Other" Tom