cross references in footnotes

Erik Jan Erik Jan

cross references in footnotes

I made a document in Libreoffice 4.2.1 Mageia 3 with a few cross
references to other footnotes in the document. When I exported the
document to pdf some of these references had changed. After saving the
document and reopening it the references were still wrong. I tried to
correct them, but in vain. I made new cross references, but these also
were changed after saving and reopening the file. So I went back to
4.1.5 but the problem remained. Then I went back to 4.0.6. In this
version the wrong references were right again.

I searched the internet and bug lists, but could not find anything.

Does anybody know about this?

Greetings,

Erik.

TomD TomD

Re: cross references in footnotes

Hi :)
Apparently there is a 3rd party tool that handles this sort of thing
MUCH better than Writer or Word and works well with either or both.
Have a look around for Zotero and see if that looks like it might be
better at handling the cross-references

nabbler nabbler

On 11/03/2014, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I made a document in Libreoffice 4.2.1 Mageia 3 with a few cross
> references to other footnotes in the document. When I exported the
> document to pdf some of these references had changed. After saving the
> document and reopening it the references were still wrong. I tried to
> correct them, but in vain. I made new cross references, but these also
> were changed after saving and reopening the file. So I went back to
> 4.1.5 but the problem remained. Then I went back to 4.0.6. In this
> version the wrong references were right again.

Looks like a bug, so please submit and confirm the bug number, so
those interested can subscribe.

Making references in word-processors is a well-known deficiency.
Suggest you import the LOwriter odt file into LyX and produce your pdf
in that program.

nabbler nabbler

TomD TomD

Re: cross references in footnotes

Hi :)
This wiki might help you post the bug-report
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

On 12 March 2014 12:51, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/03/2014, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > I made a document in Libreoffice 4.2.1 Mageia 3 with a few cross
>  > references to other footnotes in the document. When I exported the
>  > document to pdf some of these references had changed. After saving the
>  > document and reopening it the references were still wrong. I tried to
>  > correct them, but in vain. I made new cross references, but these also
>  > were changed after saving and reopening the file. So I went back to
>  > 4.1.5 but the problem remained. Then I went back to 4.0.6. In this
>  > version the wrong references were right again.
>  >
>
> Looks like a bug, so please submit and confirm the bug number, so
>  those interested can subscribe.
>
>  Making references in word-processors is a well-known deficiency.
>  Suggest you import the LOwriter odt file into LyX and produce your pdf
>  in that program.

Erik Jan Erik Jan

Re: cross references in footnotes

Tom Davies had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 12-03-14 16:04:

> Hi :)
> This wiki might help you post the bug-report
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
> On 12 March 2014 12:51, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/03/2014, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>   > I made a document in Libreoffice 4.2.1 Mageia 3 with a few cross
>>   > references to other footnotes in the document. When I exported the
>>   > document to pdf some of these references had changed. After saving the
>>   > document and reopening it the references were still wrong. I tried to
>>   > correct them, but in vain. I made new cross references, but these also
>>   > were changed after saving and reopening the file. So I went back to
>>   > 4.1.5 but the problem remained. Then I went back to 4.0.6. In this
>>   > version the wrong references were right again.
>>   >
>>
>> Looks like a bug, so please submit and confirm the bug number, so
>>   those interested can subscribe.
>>
>>   Making references in word-processors is a well-known deficiency.
>>   Suggest you import the LOwriter odt file into LyX and produce your pdf
>>   in that program.

In Mageia 3 I uninstalled Libreoffice version 3 and installed from
Libreoffice.org the newest versions available. I did the same with
Openoffice before Libreoffce was made. Never had any problem. Now I went
back to Libreoffice 4.6 from Mageia itself and I noticed that in the
dependency list there were several libraries not coming from
Libreoffice. I remember something with sqlite in it. So it is possible
that some tasks in Libreoffice are taken care of by external libraries.
If so the LO rpm's are no longer complete in themselves, nor are their
dependency lists corrected for the new situation.

Does this make sense?

Greetings,

Erik.

TomD TomD

Re: cross references in footnotes

Hi :)
It makes sense but when you install rpms there is an automatic
checking procedure in most distros.  Only ones such as Slackware
expect you to sort out dependancies on your own.  Mageia is a gateway
distro and tries to make things as easy as possible for normal users.
You can usually force most (probably all) package manager to "fix
broken dependancies".  It's something worth doing occasionally but
normally it's all handled really well automatically.

On 13 March 2014 11:06, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Davies had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 12-03-14 16:04:
>>
>> Hi :)
>> This wiki might help you post the bug-report
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>
>> On 12 March 2014 12:51, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/03/2014, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>   > I made a document in Libreoffice 4.2.1 Mageia 3 with a few cross
>>>   > references to other footnotes in the document. When I exported the
>>>   > document to pdf some of these references had changed. After saving
>>> the
>>>   > document and reopening it the references were still wrong. I tried to
>>>   > correct them, but in vain. I made new cross references, but these
>>> also
>>>   > were changed after saving and reopening the file. So I went back to
>>>   > 4.1.5 but the problem remained. Then I went back to 4.0.6. In this
>>>   > version the wrong references were right again.
>>>   >
>>>
>>> Looks like a bug, so please submit and confirm the bug number, so
>>>   those interested can subscribe.
>>>
>>>   Making references in word-processors is a well-known deficiency.
>>>   Suggest you import the LOwriter odt file into LyX and produce your pdf
>>>   in that program.
>>>

> In Mageia 3 I uninstalled Libreoffice version 3 and installed from
> Libreoffice.org the newest versions available. I did the same with
> Openoffice before Libreoffce was made. Never had any problem. Now I went
> back to Libreoffice 4.6 from Mageia itself and I noticed that in the
> dependency list there were several libraries not coming from Libreoffice. I
> remember something with sqlite in it. So it is possible that some tasks in
> Libreoffice are taken care of by external libraries. If so the LO rpm's are
> no longer complete in themselves, nor are their dependency lists corrected
> for the new situation.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Erik.

Erik Jan Erik Jan

Re: cross references in footnotes

Tom Davies had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 13-03-14 16:08:

> Hi :)
> It makes sense but when you install rpms there is an automatic
> checking procedure in most distros.  Only ones such as Slackware
> expect you to sort out dependancies on your own.  Mageia is a gateway
> distro and tries to make things as easy as possible for normal users.
> You can usually force most (probably all) package manager to "fix
> broken dependancies".  It's something worth doing occasionally but
> normally it's all handled really well automatically.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

If my suggestion is right, the bug is not in Libreoffice but in the
packaging. I am unable to sort this out any further. So I shall not
register a bug.

Thank you for your speedy anwers.

Erik

TomD TomD

Re: cross references in footnotes

Hi :)
You are welcome to post a bug-report.  Hopefully our devs or QA might
be able to pass it on to the right project or give an indication which
project really needs the bug-report.

However it sounds like you might have solved the problem temporarily
by reinstalling a different version.  With a bit of luck you might
find the problem is fixed "as if by magic" already or that a
subsequent release doesn't seem to have the same problem.

So, i kinda agree that posting a bug-report is probably not needed.
If other people write in about the same problem then it might be worth
taking more notice though!
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

On 13 March 2014 22:04, Erik Jan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Davies had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 13-03-14 16:08:
>>
>> Hi :)
>> It makes sense but when you install rpms there is an automatic
>> checking procedure in most distros.  Only ones such as Slackware
>> expect you to sort out dependancies on your own.  Mageia is a gateway
>> distro and tries to make things as easy as possible for normal users.
>> You can usually force most (probably all) package manager to "fix
>> broken dependancies".  It's something worth doing occasionally but
>> normally it's all handled really well automatically.
>>
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>

> If my suggestion is right, the bug is not in Libreoffice but in the
> packaging. I am unable to sort this out any further. So I shall not register
> a bug.
>
> Thank you for your speedy anwers.
>
> Erik

Tractor Tractor

No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi Everyone,

I recently just bought an Acer Chromebook C-720, and used Chrubuntu to
install Ubuntu 13.10 on it. On my other Linux machines when I do a clean
install I completely purge the system of the Ubuntu LO version, and then
install The Document Foundation version. I'm presently running 4.2.2.1
on them. Once Chrubuntu was installed on the Chromebook, I purged it of
the Ubuntu version, which was 4.1.3.x and installed Libreoffice 4.2.2.1.
However, unlike with the installs on my other machines, none of the LO
apps show up in dash at all. LO does show up in synaptic. It is like
before LO had the menus as part of the install where there were not any
menus without installing them separately. I'm sure there are not many
people doing this, but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don
--

**

TomD TomD

Re: No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi :)
Can you get to a command-line and open LibreOffice from there?
Ctrl Alt t
should open a terminal console.  Then the command
soffice
should open LIbreOffice.  If it doesn't (or maybe even if it does)
then hopefully the command-line should show some error messages which
might give some clue about what's gone wrong.

On 17 March 2014 01:02, Don C. Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I recently just bought an Acer Chromebook C-720, and used Chrubuntu to
> install Ubuntu 13.10 on it. On my other Linux machines when I do a clean
> install I completely purge the system of the Ubuntu LO version, and then
> install The Document Foundation version. I'm presently running 4.2.2.1 on
> them. Once Chrubuntu was installed on the Chromebook, I purged it of the
> Ubuntu version, which was 4.1.3.x and installed Libreoffice 4.2.2.1.
> However, unlike with the installs on my other machines, none of the LO apps
> show up in dash at all. LO does show up in synaptic. It is like before LO
> had the menus as part of the install where there were not any menus without
> installing them separately. I'm sure there are not many people doing this,
> but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Don
> --
>

> **

Tractor Tractor

Re: No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi Tom,

In my conventional laptop, where LibreOffice works perfectly, if I enter
soffice in the terminal, I get the following:
> The program 'soffice' is currently not installed. You can install it
> by typing:
> sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common
In the Chromebook I get "command not found". Maybe I will need to try
PPA version. Everything else so far seems fine.

Since I first posted, I found it doesn't want to install the repository
version of Wine because of missing dependencies. On the positive side,
it is blazingly fast. From boot to a fully loaded Ubuntu 13.10 in 15
seconds!!!!!!!!!

Don

--

**

TomD TomD

Re: No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi :)
Sounds like you just need to have another go at installing LibreOffice
from the download you got from the official LibreOffice.org website

There are some proper instructions somewhere.

Tractor Tractor

Re: No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi Tom,

I did that, and I also tried downloading from the PPA. The same thing
happened. I'm sure this has to be a Chrubuntu issue since my installs
have always worked fine on other Ubuntu installs. One strange thing
though. When I was purging the failed installed, I had an error message
show up in the terminal, once yesterday, and once today, saying:
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
> stable/main amd64 Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
I did run the apt-get update, but that didn't change anything. I don't
know why that would show up when I'm purging LibreOffice. I wasn't smart
enough to think about going to that file and editing it until now.

Thanks for your concern and assistance!

Don

On 03/17/2014 05:09 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Sounds like you just need to have another go at installing LibreOffice
> from the download you got from the official LibreOffice.org website
>
> There are some proper instructions somewhere.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
> On 17 March 2014 04:40, Don Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> In my conventional laptop, where LibreOffice works perfectly, if I enter
>> soffice in the terminal, I get the following:
>>
>> The program 'soffice' is currently not installed. You can install it by
>> typing:
>> sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common
>>
>> In the Chromebook I get "command not found". Maybe I will need to try  PPA
>> version. Everything else so far seems fine.
>>
>> Since I first posted, I found it doesn't want to install the repository
>> version of Wine because of missing dependencies. On the positive side, it is
>> blazingly fast. From boot to a fully loaded Ubuntu 13.10 in 15
>> seconds!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Don
>>
>> On 03/16/2014 10:36 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
>>
>> Hi :)
>> Can you get to a command-line and open LibreOffice from there?
>> Ctrl Alt t
>> should open a terminal console.  Then the command
>> soffice
>> should open LIbreOffice.  If it doesn't (or maybe even if it does)
>> then hopefully the command-line should show some error messages which
>> might give some clue about what's gone wrong.
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>> On 17 March 2014 01:02, Don C. Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I recently just bought an Acer Chromebook C-720, and used Chrubuntu to
>> install Ubuntu 13.10 on it. On my other Linux machines when I do a clean
>> install I completely purge the system of the Ubuntu LO version, and then
>> install The Document Foundation version. I'm presently running 4.2.2.1 on
>> them. Once Chrubuntu was installed on the Chromebook, I purged it of the
>> Ubuntu version, which was 4.1.3.x and installed Libreoffice 4.2.2.1.
>> However, unlike with the installs on my other machines, none of the LO apps
>> show up in dash at all. LO does show up in synaptic. It is like before LO
>> had the menus as part of the install where there were not any menus without
>> installing them separately. I'm sure there are not many people doing this,
>> but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Don
>> --
>>

>> **

>> deleted

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Don C. Myers
Manager, Farm and Rural Property Division
e-PRO Certified by the National Association of Realtors
Don's Cell Phone: 814-571-9518, Don's Home Phone: 814-422-8111
Don's E-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
*RE/MAX Centre Realty
**1375 Martin Street, State College, PA 16803*
Office Phone: 814-231-8200 Fax: 814-231-8220
Visit the Farm and Rural Property Division web site at
_www.CentralPaRuralProperty.com <http://www.CentralPaRuralProperty.com/> _
Visit the RE/MAX Centre Realty main web site at
_www.StateCollegeHomeSales.com <http://www.statecollegehomesales.com/> _
View Don's Farm Web Site at www.myersfarm.com <http://www.myersfarm.com/>

Tractor Tractor

SOLVED Re: [libreoffice-users] No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

For some reason the libreofficeX.X-debian-menus file isn't running
during the install. I ran that file separately in the software center
and everything is working perfectly now with the Document Foundation
version of LO 4.2.2.1.

--

**

TomD TomD

Re: SOLVED Re: [libreoffice-users] No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi :)
Congrats on figuring out what is going wrong there!!  Any chance
posting a bug-report about it because that is clearly not helpful for
most normal users!

Congrats, thanks and regards from
Tom :)

Tractor Tractor

Re: SOLVED Re: [libreoffice-users] No menus for LibreOffice install on Chrubuntu

Hi Tom,

I'm about a week behind on real work at the moment. I really think it is
a Chrubuntu issue and not a LO office since I've not have any issues on
a half dozen or more regular Ubuntu installs.

Don