deb installer - have to manually modify link

Next » 123
Rainer M Krug Rainer M Krug

deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi

I am using ubuntu, but on the download website, the link for Linux
points to the rpm. If I want to download the deb, I have to manually
change rpm to deb in the URL.

Would it be possible to provide one link to the .deb and on to the rpm
on the download page?

Thanks,

Rainer

eskroni eskroni

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hello Rainer,

2010/12/6 Rainer M Krug <[hidden email]>:
> Hi
>
> I am using ubuntu, but on the download website, the link for Linux
> points to the rpm. If I want to download the deb, I have to manually
> change rpm to deb in the URL.
>
> Would it be possible to provide one link to the .deb and on to the rpm
> on the download page?

the link is already on the page - but I have to admit, it is less prominent. ;)

Scroll a bit down until all the boxes are done, you'll find the following text:

You can also download using BitTorrent, or browse all the RC1
installation packages to get unofficial Debian packages (32-bit .debs
or 64-bit .debs), or language packs.

Some of those words are links and point you immediately to the
directory (deb-files) for you to download.

I hope, this helps.

Sigrid

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hallo Rainer,

Am 06.12.2010 10:48, schrieb Rainer M Krug:

> I am using ubuntu, but on the download website, the link for Linux
> points to the rpm. If I want to download the deb, I have to manually
> change rpm to deb in the URL.
>
> Would it be possible to provide one link to the .deb and on to the rpm
> on the download page?

Try the other download page
http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/

Stefan

spaetz spaetz

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:52:25 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:
> Try the other download page
> http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/

BTW, any chance to sqitch to to that very soon? It shouldn't hard to
replicate the static content that we have there right now and it would
modifying/improving the content so much easier...

Sebastian

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hallo Sebastian,

Am 06.12.2010 12:21, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:

>> http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
>
> BTW, any chance to sqitch to to that very soon? It shouldn't hard to
> replicate the static content that we have there right now and it would
> modifying/improving the content so much easier...

As far as I understand, the LibreOffice website and its download
script will not go public unless there is a minimum of reasonable
content and user friendly structure. However, there seems to be only
little progress since weeks. (There is no one to blame for that,
since all are volunteers.)

When I introduced the the script for download selection seven weeks
ago it was meant as a mock-up only. However, since the final version
of the website seems to take more time, it could be a reasonable
idea to integrate the provisional script here meanwhile:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

However, I do not have access to this webspace. I beleive the
people, who do have access, are aware of the script. I have been
told that my script causes too much server load (which I can´t prove
or disprove), which may be a reason for not considering the
integration of this script.

Stefan.

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

And thank you very much.  I hadn't noticed that link (it's VERY obscure)
until you mentioned that it was there and the approximate location.

Craig
Tyche

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-06 04:48, Rainer M Krug a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I am using ubuntu, but on the download website, the link for Linux
> points to the rpm. If I want to download the deb, I have to manually
> change rpm to deb in the URL.
>
> Would it be possible to provide one link to the .deb and on to the rpm
> on the download page?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

I agree. I use the RPM version and it works quite well for this, but it
would also be nice to put a Linux DEB download button(s) or make some
other type of arrangements till the www.test.libreoffice.org site goes
live. The download site as it stands is probably frustrating a lot of
users who are interested in helping out. Even our own DEB members are
frustrated over this situation.

Can anything be done over this?

Marc

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi Marc, *,

Marc Paré schrieb:
> Le 2010-12-06 04:48, Rainer M Krug a écrit :

[..]

>> Would it be possible to provide one link to the .deb and on to the
>> rpm on the download page?

> I agree. I use the RPM version and it works quite well for this, but
> it would also be nice to put a Linux DEB download button(s) or make
> some other type of arrangements till the www.test.libreoffice.org
> site goes live. The download site as it stands is probably
> frustrating a lot of users who are interested in helping out. Even
> our own DEB members are frustrated over this situation.

Do You know anything about Websitestatus and sheduled switch?

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-06 10:02, Friedrich Strohmaier a écrit :

> Do You know anything about Websitestatus and sheduled switch?
>

> Gruß/regards

No idea. There is still a lot of content to go into the site. I have
helped with the "Support" section and will move on to another section.

Marc

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Am 06.12.2010 12:21, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:52:25 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>> Try the other download page
>> http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
>
> BTW, any chance to sqitch to to that very soon? It shouldn't hard to
> replicate the static content that we have there right now and it would
> modifying/improving the content so much easier...

Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
and made downloading again very inconvenient.

The convenient script can still be found here
http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php

Stefan

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-06 13:54, Stefan Weigel a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Am 06.12.2010 12:21, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
>> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:52:25 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>>> Try the other download page
>>> http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
>>
>> BTW, any chance to sqitch to to that very soon? It shouldn't hard to
>> replicate the static content that we have there right now and it would
>> modifying/improving the content so much easier...
>
> Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
> and made downloading again very inconvenient.
>
> The convenient script can still be found here
> http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan:

You should post this on the website list. People should declare changes
on the website list when they have changed a section of the site. I also
find this a bit disturbing.

Marc

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi Stefan, *,

Stefan Weigel schrieb:
> Am 06.12.2010 12:21, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
>> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:52:25 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>>> Try the other download page
>>> http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/

I get:
Page not found
Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist.

>> BTW, any chance to sqitch to to that very soon? It shouldn't hard to
>> replicate the static content that we have there right now and it
>> would modifying/improving the content so much easier...

I wonder whether it will be published at all.
I think we should publish right now as is and complete "under traffic",
considering a website never beeing perfect. :o))

> Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
> and made downloading again very inconvenient.

> The convenient script can still be found here
> http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php

There is also one more draft here:
http://pumbaa.ooodev.org:7780/home/download-and-sub/

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/
LibreOffice and more on CD/DVD images
(german version already started)

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Friedrich Strohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should publish right now as is and complete "under traffic",
> considering a website never beeing perfect. :o))

+1
We must remember the role of the Silverstripe site is a temporary CMS
until the final Drupal site has been developed.
The decision of the Steering Committee clearly indicates that we
should implement a simple CMS so we can distribute the implementation
of the initial site across our user base.
The team developing the Drupal site have made great progress already
and the worst thing that could happen is that we try to over-develop
the temporary site just to have the final Drupal site implemented soon
after we launch this site.

Michael Wheatland

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hallo Freidrich,

Am 06.12.2010 21:59, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:

> Hi Stefan, *,
>
> Stefan Weigel schrieb:
>
> I get:
> Page not found
> Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist.

Well, it *did* exist. ;-)

Stefan

Dale Ritchey Dale Ritchey

On 12/06/2010 06:58 PM, Stefan Weigel wrote:

> Hallo Freidrich,
>
> Am 06.12.2010 21:59, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
>> Hi Stefan, *,
>>
>> Stefan Weigel schrieb:
>> I get:
>> Page not found
>> Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist.
> Well, it *did* exist. ;-)
>
> Stefan

It is here http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi *,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 06.12.2010 21:59, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
>> Stefan Weigel schrieb:

The download page will very, very likely look/work similar to this one:
https://test.libreoffice.org/download-3/

The button solution as it is available on documentfoundation just
doesn't work. You need to have the seperation between the different
flavors of linux/Mac, the support for non-english languages.

You can use buttons of course, but we'd need more of them (see also
http://www.mail-archive.com/website@.../msg01276.html )

ciao
Christian

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi Stefan, *,

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 06.12.2010 12:21, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
> [...] I have been
> told that my script causes too much server load (which I can´t prove
> or disprove),

No, you misunderstood/misinterpreted. I was telling that I want a
solution that can be served statically, in a cached copy. A pure
php-server-based solution doesn't do that.

> which may be a reason for not considering the
> integration of this script.

Well, I'm kind of disappointed to read that, since you're well aware
that I implemented a download-selector page modeled after your
proposal on the silverstripe test-install at pumbaa already

I just didn't find the time to put it up on the real site until now.
For more details, please see the website-ML archive (and also the
german discuss ML)

ciao
Christian

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi, :-)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 02:54, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
> and made downloading again very inconvenient.
>
> The convenient script can still be found here
> http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php

I will fix this right now. I only unpublished the page while trying
out some pages I'd created (it is a *test* site after all)...

+1 for getting the site online by the end of the week! ;-)

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-06 22:23, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 02:54, Stefan Weigel
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
>> and made downloading again very inconvenient.
>>
>> The convenient script can still be found here
>> http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php
>
> I will fix this right now. I only unpublished the page while trying
> out some pages I'd created (it is a *test* site after all)...
>
> +1 for getting the site online by the end of the week! ;-)
>
> David Nelson

I agree with David here. We should not publish as it is right now as it
is simply not ready. Let's give David and others at least the rest of
the week for all of us to push  our a site that is at the very least a
good static site. As it stands now it is not ready. David is doing
excellent work on putting on some content. We'll need just a little time
to review for corrections and small formatting changes if necessary.

I also agree with Michael suggesting that we not overdevelop the site
seeing as the Drupal will go live in a short while and we should
concentrate further web development time on the Drupal site.

Marc

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi David,

Am 07.12.2010 04:23, schrieb David Nelson:

> (it is a *test* site after all)...

From what I understand, it is *not* a test site (despite the URL).
It is a site under construction - quite some difference. ;-)

I think, for testing and playing around there is
http://pumbaa.ooodev.org:7780/

Stefan

Next » 123