deb installer - have to manually modify link

Next » 123 « Prev
Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hallo Christian,

Am 07.12.2010 01:54, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:

>> told that my script causes too much server load (which I can´t prove
>> or disprove),
>
> No, you misunderstood/misinterpreted. I was telling that I want a
> solution that can be served statically, in a cached copy. A pure
> php-server-based solution doesn't do that.

Ah ok. Sorry, I do not understand too much of this technical stuff.
Isn´t caching a method to reduce the load?

And generally, is caching really so important? Aren´t there
trillions of pure php-server-based solutions out in the web?

>> which may be a reason for not considering the
>> integration of this script.

> Well, I'm kind of disappointed to read that, since you're well aware
> that I implemented a download-selector page modeled after your
> proposal on the silverstripe test-install at pumbaa already

Hm? I am talking about my idea of temporarily integrating my script
on http://www.documentfoundation.org, not the CMS. And I am thinking
of possible reasons, why this might be a bad idea. And this makes
you disappointed?

:-/  :-)  ;-)

> I just didn't find the time to put it up on the real site until now.

Time of volunteers is one of our main problems. I already mentioned
in the posting you are answering to: "There is no one to blame for
that, since all are volunteers."

So, thanks a lot for spending some time last night! :-)

Stefan

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi Stefan, *,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 07.12.2010 01:54, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
> [...]
> And generally, is caching really so important? Aren´t there
> trillions of pure php-server-based solutions out in the web?

Well, I cannot tell yet, as the test.lo site did didn't have noticable
hits yet. But better to be able to serve it cached/statically than to
have a crawling site that cannot handle the load.

And as also mentioned in the other mail: I guess it is fine to just
use the first level of caching (partial caching of the generated
pages), thus it would be possible to do some php-based detection (for
the case where JS is not available)

> [...]
> Hm? I am talking about my idea of temporarily integrating my script
> on http://www.documentfoundation.org, not the CMS.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

> And I am thinking
> of possible reasons, why this might be a bad idea. And this makes
> you disappointed?
>
> :-/  :-)  ;-)

No - it made me disappointed because I interpreted your comments as
"my proposal is ignored by the website folks, esp. the silverstripe
guy (me) who insists on caching". But the opposite is true, I very
welcome the automatic creation of the script, that's why I did not
only "consider integration", but actually did implement it. And posted
to the site for feedback (where you also provided feedback), so it
surprised me (and made me sad) to read that "it is not considered for
integration". But I was missing context, so I'm not sad/disappointed
anymore :-)

ciao
Christian

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:23 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 02:54, Stefan Weigel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, someone just changed http://www.test.libreoffice.org/download/
>> and made downloading again very inconvenient.
>>
>> The convenient script can still be found here
>> http://s132649167.online.de/LibO_test/sw_download.php
>
> I will fix this right now. I only unpublished the page while trying
> out some pages I'd created (it is a *test* site after all)...

Stefan already pointed out that it is not a /test/ site. It is the
site under construction.

Also I'm kind of puzzled to read your message in the
documentfoundation irc channel backlog

"Marc did the website guys ever get an IA figured out for the
SilverStripe site?"

As you've been participating in the conf-calls, have been following
the list, etc. I wonder what went so wrong that this isn't clear?

The topic in the first conf call was that people felt uncomfortable
because they don't know what and where to put content, what the
structure is. Thus it was requested to get a framework up, a site
structure consisting of placeholder pages that would lay out the
structure of the site, so that people can come up with content for
that area without having to think about "what is missing, what should
be on the site".

This request was posted to various lists, unfortunately with not much
feedback, but still a few volunteers did work on creating those
placeholder pages defining the structure.

So the placeholder pages on the site *are* reflecting the IA that was
laid out for the site.

Now as to calling it a testing site - I'm not sure whether it is just
poorly chosen wording, or a real misunderstanding on your part. Again
I'm puzzled where that impression comes from. I think I always
stressed that the test.libreoffice.org website will be what the user
sees when the switch is done, when the "test" is removed from the URL.

Obviously I suck at communicating the important parts :-(

So again: test.libreoffice.org is the real site under construction. No
other content is available, the content will not be moved to another
site. The only change that will be done is changing the DNS name from
test.libreoffice.org to libreoffice.org. Nothing else will change.

> +1 for getting the site online by the end of the week! ;-)

I'd love to have it ready by then. So let's focus on one page at a time.

I propose the following, i.e. focus the work on individual pages this week:
* Home/Welcome page: Start now, continue till sunday (I'd like to have
some nice graphics there, some updated buttons)
* Wednesday is Contribute page time.
* Thursday is for Support
* Friday for the FAQ

Of course no hard limits, but the goal is to have the corresponding
page "ready for the end-user" at the end of the day.

ciao
Christian

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi, :-)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:58, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stefan already pointed out that it is not a /test/ site. It is the
> site under construction.

It's a "test" site in the sense that work is in progress, and that
nothing is stable right now. It's staging site. Since there are
various people wanting to contribute work to the task, and there is no
clear coordination, there are bound to be occasions when the front end
content shifts. But let's remember this: it takes 2 mouse clicks to
unpublish a page, and 2 more to put another page online in its place.
The important thing is not to act like a vandal and go deleting pages
that people have put time into developing.

> Also I'm kind of puzzled to read your message in the
> documentfoundation irc channel backlog
>
> "Marc did the website guys ever get an IA figured out for the
> SilverStripe site?"

Well I'm kind of puzzled that after weeks and weeks, scores of
messages in the lists and various conference calls, there's very
little concrete progress with producing content.

> As you've been participating in the conf-calls, have been following
> the list, etc. I wonder what went so wrong that this isn't clear?

See previous remark.

> So the placeholder pages on the site *are* reflecting the IA that was
> laid out for the site.

Sorry, buddy, but I don't see any IA there that gives me a clue as to
how to start writing copy without working at cross purposes with the
intentions of.... whoever the heck is supposed to be coordinating this
work.

> Now as to calling it a testing site - I'm not sure whether it is just
> poorly chosen wording, or a real misunderstanding on your part. Again
> I'm puzzled where that impression comes from. I think I always

Maybe the impression that it's a testing and development site comes
from the domain name "test.libreoffice.org" Or does this seem a
far-fetched understanding to you? ;-)

> Obviously I suck at communicating the important parts :-(

Well, you're certainly not alone in this tendency... It's due to the
lack of structure and organization in TDF at this present time.

> So again: test.libreoffice.org is the real site under construction. No
> other content is available, the content will not be moved to another
> site. The only change that will be done is changing the DNS name from
> test.libreoffice.org to libreoffice.org. Nothing else will change.

Thanks, that much I knew...

>> +1 for getting the site online by the end of the week! ;-)
>
> I'd love to have it ready by then. So let's focus on one page at a time.

OK, cool, now you're talking practical cooperation.

> I propose the following, i.e. focus the work on individual pages this week:
> * Home/Welcome page: Start now, continue till sunday (I'd like to have
> some nice graphics there, some updated buttons)

Sure, can do. I'll start thinking about copy to write. And I think I
have a practical idea for the buttons that will fit in with the
current look. Do you have the source files of those current buttons?
Not a critical problem if not...

By the way, could you fix that problem about the missing CSS style
sheet(s) I mentioned in the ohter thread? You did say that if
additional styles were needed then you'd fix the problem. So far you
didn't even reply to that thread.

> * Wednesday is Contribute page time.
> * Thursday is for Support
> * Friday for the FAQ
>
> Of course no hard limits, but the goal is to have the corresponding
> page "ready for the end-user" at the end of the day.

Great, Christian. I'll be happy to cooperate and produce. Maybe we can
actually make some headway and get this site operational before
Christmas at least?

David Nelson

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi David, *,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:58, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stefan already pointed out that it is not a /test/ site. It is the
>> site under construction.
>
> It's a "test" site in the sense that work is in progress, and that
> nothing is stable right now. It's staging site.

I'm not happy with calling it a test site though.

> [...] But let's remember this: it takes 2 mouse clicks to
> unpublish a page, and 2 more to put another page online in its place.

Yes, I didn't meant to accuse you for destroying other peoples work,
for messing up the site, etc.

I just wanted to stress once again that the content on this site is
the content that will go live. There is no other content waiting
somewhere else.
And by calling it a "test" site some people might be put off and say
to themselves "I'd rather wait for the final site before providing
content".

> [...]
> Well I'm kind of puzzled that after weeks and weeks, scores of
> messages in the lists and various conference calls, there's very
> little concrete progress with producing content.

Yes, I'm also very disappointed at that, but I don't have an answer as
to why that is so :-(

I personally just did not have enough time to come up with content
myself, and I was hoping for the marketing team to come up with some
content... (and also with some artwork)

> Sorry, buddy, but I don't see any IA there that gives me a clue as to
> how to start writing copy without working at cross purposes with the
> intentions of.... whoever the heck is supposed to be coordinating this
> work.

Well, the IA is defining what content to put where on the site, right?
The site structure of the (back then) published pages did reflect
that. You have home, you got Contribute, you got FAQ, Support,
Download Contact in the main hierarchy, in the toptabs, and then a
couple of subpages in the individual areas.

As you notice yourself: Content is not contributed for whatever
reason. Thus it doesn't make sense to go into much more detail than
that.

>> Now as to calling it a testing site - I'm not sure whether it is just
>> poorly chosen wording, or a real misunderstanding on your part. Again
>> I'm puzzled where that impression comes from. I think I always
>
> Maybe the impression that it's a testing and development site comes
> from the domain name "test.libreoffice.org" Or does this seem a
> far-fetched understanding to you? ;-)

Of course not, but that makes it even more important to not refer to
it as a playground area.

>> [...]
> Thanks, that much I knew...

Yes, you might now. But I want all to know. Especially when the page
keeps getting called staging area, testing site, etc.

>>> +1 for getting the site online by the end of the week! ;-)
>>
>> I'd love to have it ready by then. So let's focus on one page at a time.
>
> OK, cool, now you're talking practical cooperation.

Sorry if you had the impression that I was trying to just pick on you,
just bashing around.

It is because just I don't know /why/ people don't add content. It
still is not clear to me what they are waiting for.

>> I propose the following, i.e. focus the work on individual pages this week:
>> * Home/Welcome page: Start now, continue till sunday (I'd like to have
>> some nice graphics there, some updated buttons)
>
> Sure, can do. I'll start thinking about copy to write. And I think I
> have a practical idea for the buttons that will fit in with the
> current look. Do you have the source files of those current buttons?
> Not a critical problem if not...

Source files: no, I only have the files as they appear on the site.
https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf/images/buttons

> By the way, could you fix that problem about the missing CSS style
> sheet(s) I mentioned in the ohter thread?

Sorry, don't remember you mentioned a missing css style - either I
didn't read it yet or I missed it.

> You did say that if
> additional styles were needed then you'd fix the problem. So far you
> didn't even reply to that thread.

Please give more details - what list, what time, what subject?
I mean it was yesterday night/today morning when I wrote that,
apparently you're referring to a much older thread.

> Great, Christian. I'll be happy to cooperate and produce. Maybe we can
> actually make some headway and get this site operational before
> Christmas at least?

Yes, I'd love to see it ready for the user before Christmas (as
experience shows between the years nothing will be done because people
rather spend time with family and friends :-))

ciao
Christian

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi Christian, :-)

David Nelson

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 22:04, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Well I'm kind of puzzled that after weeks and weeks, scores of
>> messages in the lists and various conference calls, there's very
>> little concrete progress with producing content.
>
> Yes, I'm also very disappointed at that, but I don't have an answer as
> to why that is so :-(
>
> I personally just did not have enough time to come up with content
> myself, and I was hoping for the marketing team to come up with some
> content... (and also with some artwork)

I can propose an IA. Already we can work with the specific items you
mentioned below. Let's get started with those, and I will probably
find some suggestions to put to you. I use Gimp and Photoshop, so I
can do any needed stuff, too.

> Well, the IA is defining what content to put where on the site, right?
> The site structure of the (back then) published pages did reflect
> that. You have home, you got Contribute, you got FAQ, Support,
> Download Contact in the main hierarchy, in the toptabs, and then a
> couple of subpages in the individual areas.
>
> As you notice yourself: Content is not contributed for whatever
> reason. Thus it doesn't make sense to go into much more detail than
> that.

See above.

> Source files: no, I only have the files as they appear on the site.
> https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf/images/buttons

They can already serve as a basis. We can see what else is needed as I
start posting content for consideration.

>> By the way, could you fix that problem about the missing CSS style
>> sheet(s) I mentioned in the ohter thread?
>
> Sorry, don't remember you mentioned a missing css style - either I
> didn't read it yet or I missed it.
>
>> You did say that if
>> additional styles were needed then you'd fix the problem. So far you
>> didn't even reply to that thread.
>
> Please give more details - what list, what time, what subject?
> I mean it was yesterday night/today morning when I wrote that,
> apparently you're referring to a much older thread.

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Style-sheets-and-pages-for-test-libreoffice-org-tp2031797p2031797.html

Getting the styles.css would be the main solution. You'll see in the thread.

> Yes, I'd love to see it ready for the user before Christmas (as
> experience shows between the years nothing will be done because people
> rather spend time with family and friends :-))

OK, well we can make that happen between us, no problem. Truthfully,
often, a lot more real work gets done when there aren't too many
people pulling in different directions.

David Nelson

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hi David,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 22:04, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>>> By the way, could you fix that problem about the missing CSS style
>>> sheet(s) I mentioned in the ohter thread?
> [...]
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Style-sheets-and-pages-for-test-libreoffice-org-tp2031797p2031797.html

OK, no old thread, but rather new, just did not arrive at that when
working through the backlog.

And no, those stylesheets are not missing. When I was asking for
styles, I don't mean filenames, but the corresponding css-statements.
As I duplicated the documentfoundation.org on pumbaa back then, I know
that all styles used on documentfoundation.org are already available
in the css. (typography.css for stuff that is also useful in the
editor area (there was a bug in the css that did not apply it to the
editorwindow, please delete your browser cache in case headings are
still black in the editor window), and in layout.css for the stuff
that is about positions, stuff that better is not reflected in the
editor window.

> Getting the styles.css would be the main solution. You'll see in the thread.

No - what is missing from the css fiels at test.libreoffice.org what
you would need?

i.e. what css class/id selector and what style statement?

But I'll reply in that other thread as well...

ciao
Christian

bedipp bedipp

Re: main LibO website content [was: deb installer - have to manually modify link]

Hi David, *

This thread certainly belongs to website@libo, because such details
should be discussed among all people interested in this area.

As I read there, some community members already put content on these
pages, and at least Marc and Michael wanted to contribute to the
Silverstripe site too - so discussing here might result in double work.

More comments below...

David Nelson schrieb:

> [...]
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 22:04, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Well I'm kind of puzzled that after weeks and weeks, scores of
>>> messages in the lists and various conference calls, there's very
>>> little concrete progress with producing content.
>>
>> Yes, I'm also very disappointed at that, but I don't have an answer as
>> to why that is so :-(
>>
>> I personally just did not have enough time to come up with content
>> myself, and I was hoping for the marketing team to come up with some
>> content... (and also with some artwork)

Sorry for not providing any artwork - but there has not been any
request, neither on website@libo, nor on marketing or design@libo (the
latter might be the appropriate list IMHO).

Probably this is due to the fact that nobody really had the time /
dedication to work on these pages. So I still hope this might change.

> I can propose an IA. Already we can work with the specific items you
> mentioned below. Let's get started with those, and I will probably
> find some suggestions to put to you.

I'm quite sure that the people working on the pages up to now did have
some ideas how to organize the website. Some of them already created
native-lang pages, so you should ask them for their structure.

Just "unpublishing" their content without contacting them on the list
before might have annoyed them - they might have thought you don't
respect their work on structure and content but just want to publish
your ideas.

>I use Gimp and Photoshop, so I
> can do any needed stuff, too.

If you want to, you're welcome to do so.

Please be aware that the website should reflect our visual design - even
if this is not finished yet, I'd like to see all artwork integrate the
design of the TDF logo and the other graphics provided at the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

You might also want to refer to the installer and start center images:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-Initial-Artwork-Package.zip

But it might be easier to ask at the design list for support in this area.

>> [...]
>
>> Source files: no, I only have the files as they appear on the site.
>> https://github.com/tdf/cms-themes/tree/master/tdf/images/buttons
>
> They can already serve as a basis. We can see what else is needed as I
> start posting content for consideration.

As already discussed in another thread, the buttons have either to be
removed or to extended a lot in order to work with the improved download
scripts proposed on website@libo.

So I'd suggest to start with the structure and ask for graphics when the
structure and content has been decided.

Best regards

Bernhard

(working on too many other topics to contribute to the website in a
substantially way...)

Pedro Pedro

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

> I will fix this right now. I only unpublished the page while trying
> out some pages I'd created (it is a *test* site after all)...

While you're at it could you please add Portuguese (pt) to the script?

Also, there is a mirror in Portugal which has not been updated since Beta1
http://mirrors.fe.up.pt/pub/tdf/

Portuguese ISPs in some cases have a ceiling for international downloads so it would be nice if this mirror could be updated.

Thanks!
Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: deb installer - have to manually modify link

Hallo plino,

Am 07.12.2010 16:34, schrieb plino:

> While you're at it could you please add Portuguese (pt) to the script?

It wasn´t missing in the script, but there was a bug in my script.
Fixed now.

Stefan

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now* (was:deb installer - have to manually modify link)

Hi Christian, *,

just a short step in here..

Christian Lohmaier schrieb:

[..]

> It is because just I don't know /why/ people don't add content. It
> still is not clear to me what they are waiting for.

I'd assume they wait for publishing. I can't see any reason, why to keep
the building process of the page behind the sceenes. Everything
regarding tdf is beta[1] - why not the website??

[1] O.K. The software itself isn't any more ;o)).

If there is no real plan by people keen to add content, let the
questions and complaints of visitors be the priorizing and structuring
criteria. :o)).

snip of the "test", go world and wait, what it demands from You.

>>> I propose the following, i.e. focus the work on individual pages
>>> this week: * Home/Welcome page: Start now, continue till sunday
>>> (I'd like to have some nice graphics there, some updated buttons)

Do it but do it publicly. Everything is prepaired to review contents
before publishing while the site is "under traffic".

[..]

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

Le 2010-12-07 18:18, Friedrich Strohmaier a écrit :

> Hi Christian, *,
>
> just a short step in here..
>
> Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
>
> [..]
>
>> It is because just I don't know /why/ people don't add content. It
>> still is not clear to me what they are waiting for.
>
> I'd assume they wait for publishing. I can't see any reason, why to keep
> the building process of the page behind the sceenes. Everything
> regarding tdf is beta[1] - why not the website??
>
> [1] O.K. The software itself isn't any more ;o)).
>
> If there is no real plan by people keen to add content, let the
> questions and complaints of visitors be the priorizing and structuring
> criteria. :o)).
>
> snip of the "test", go world and wait, what it demands from You.

> Do it but do it publicly. Everything is prepaired to review contents
> before publishing while the site is "under traffic".
>
> [..]
>
> Gruß/regards

I would like people to hold off for another week. David seems to have
some ideas about what he would like to do with the site and its
contents. I can help.

The biggest problem with adding the content, IMO, is that there was no
group organisation and dividing up of tasks. If this is done, the
content would go up quicker. David seems to have taken the lead and I
can help out.

Marc

spaetz spaetz

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now* (was:deb installer - have to manually modify link)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 00:18:52 +0100, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> I'd assume they wait for publishing. I can't see any reason, why to keep
> the building process of the page behind the sceenes. Everything
> regarding tdf is beta[1] - why not the website??

+1
I bet the content of the static site would be rpelicated within a day,
and improving the live site would be much more motivating than playing
with something that has *test* in its name :)

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

Hi,

(I am redirecting this to the website mailing list.)

Am 08.12.2010 08:36, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:

> I bet the content of the static site would be rpelicated within a day,
> and improving the live site would be much more motivating than playing
> with something that has *test* in its name :)

By "static site" you mean http://www.documentfoundation.org ?
By "live site" you mean http://www.libreoffice.org ?

Yes?

Please, please, please, nobody please replicate the content from the
static site on the live site.

Again:
documentfoundation.org is about TDF
libreoffice.org is about the software

There sure will be links from one to the other. But both sites have
different focus, different target and different content.

Stefan

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

"Stefan Weigel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> (I am redirecting this to the website mailing list.)
>
> Am 08.12.2010 08:36, schrieb Sebastian Spaeth:
>
>> I bet the content of the static site would be rpelicated within a day,
>> and improving the live site would be much more motivating than playing
>> with something that has *test* in its name :)
>
> By "static site" you mean http://www.documentfoundation.org ?
> By "live site" you mean http://www.libreoffice.org ?

These two links point at the same place. ???

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

davidnelson davidnelson

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 12:19, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like people to hold off for another week. David seems to have some
> ideas about what he would like to do with the site and its contents. I can
> help.
>
> The biggest problem with adding the content, IMO, is that there was no group
> organisation and dividing up of tasks. If this is done, the content would go
> up quicker. David seems to have taken the lead and I can help out.

I am currently liaising with Italo Vignoli, so that we get the content
really right.

Thanks for your support on this, Marc. ;-)

We're going to get this site on the road really quickly now.

David Nelson

Am 08.12.2010 10:49, schrieb Harold Fuchs:

>> By "static site" you mean http://www.documentfoundation.org ?
>> By "live site" you mean http://www.libreoffice.org ?
>
> These two links point at the same place. ???

Yes. But only as long as the LibO website did not go public.

As long as the LibO website is under construction you will find it
here: http://www.test.libreoffice.org

Stefan

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

Hi David, *,

David Nelson schrieb:

[.. libreoffice.org website lauch delay issues ..]

>We're going to get this site on the road really quickly now.

That are good news! :o))

Thanks for feeding the engine with gasoline. :o))

Gruß/regards

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

"Stefan Weigel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Am 08.12.2010 10:49, schrieb Harold Fuchs:
>
>>> By "static site" you mean http://www.documentfoundation.org ?
>>> By "live site" you mean http://www.libreoffice.org ?
>>
>> These two links point at the same place. ???
>
> Yes. But only as long as the LibO website did not go public.
>
> As long as the LibO website is under construction you will find it
> here: http://www.test.libreoffice.org
>
> Stefan

Ah. Thank you.

Interesting that the Support tab doesn't mention
- forums
- technical FAQs
- installation instructions
- documentation
- system requirements

I'm also fascinated, having retired from software development 10 years ago
and after all the articles and theses that have been written on the subject
for at least 30 years, that the industry is still operating on the basis of
"let's get the code out there and worry about the documentation later".
Quite remarkable. Seems Weinberg's Second Law still applies.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Bring up libreoffice.org website to world *now*

Hi Harold, :-)

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 18:58, Harold Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting that the Support tab doesn't mention
> - forums
> - technical FAQs
> - installation instructions
> - documentation
> - system requirements
>
> I'm also fascinated, having retired from software development 10 years ago
> and after all the articles and theses that have been written on the subject
> for at least 30 years, that the industry is still operating on the basis of
> "let's get the code out there and worry about the documentation later".
> Quite remarkable. Seems Weinberg's Second Law still applies.

Thanks for the interesting input for the support tab. I'll be taking
account of these ideas.

My primary focus in this project is documentation, and I share your
concerns about that. I hope to make a difference in this area. Did you
sign up for the docs mailing list? Please do keep your finger on the
pulse there, and speak up with your ideas and comments (constructive).

Did you see the new Linux installation instructions I pointed you to?
Feel free to feed back on the docs list about them...

David Nelson

Next » 123 « Prev