decimal points in a column

David Nuddleman David Nuddleman

decimal points in a column

Table of several columns in Writer. Creat one column of figures, right-
justified. Line up by decimal point keeping two decimals places. If
enter 17 (no decimal point), interpret to 17.00. If enter 17.1, show
17.10 -- without entering trailing zero. Can't find setting or mention
in index, or under menus for formatting, alignment, or auto-correct.

To save keystrokes, can this be done in a table?

Barbara Duprey Barbara Duprey

Re: decimal points in a column

  On 10/12/2010 12:21 AM, David Nuddleman wrote:
> Table of several columns in Writer. Creat one column of figures, right-justified. Line up by
> decimal point keeping two decimals places. If enter 17 (no decimal point), interpret to 17.00. If
> enter 17.1, show 17.10 -- without entering trailing zero. Can't find setting or mention in index,
> or under menus for formatting, alignment, or auto-correct.
>
> To save keystrokes, can this be done in a table?

It should work if you select the column, right-click, and select Number Format. Then select Number
and one of the formats that shows two decimal places, and set the decimal places value near the
bottom of the dialog to 2.

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: decimal points in a column

Hi,

Barbara Duprey wrote (12-10-10 14:55)
> On 10/12/2010 12:21 AM, David Nuddleman wrote:

>> Table of several columns in Writer. Creat one column of figures,
>> right-justified. Line up by decimal point keeping two decimals places.
>> If enter 17 (no decimal point), interpret to 17.00. If enter 17.1,
>> show 17.10 -- without entering trailing zero. Can't find setting or
>> mention in index, or under menus for formatting, alignment, or
>> auto-correct.
>>
>> To save keystrokes, can this be done in a table?
>
> It should work if you select the column, right-click, and select Number
> Format. Then select Number and one of the formats that shows two decimal
> places, and set the decimal places value near the bottom of the dialog
> to 2.

And pls. also have a look at Tools>Options>LibreOffice Writer>Tables >
Input in Tables for global settings.

Ciao - Cor

  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Barbara Duprey wrote (12-10-10 14:55)
>> On 10/12/2010 12:21 AM, David Nuddleman wrote:
> <snip>

>>> To save keystrokes, can this be done in a table?
>>
>> It should work if you select the column, right-click, and select
>> Number
>> Format. Then select Number and one of the formats that shows two
>> decimal
>> places, and set the decimal places value near the bottom of the
>> dialog
>> to 2.
>
> And pls. also have a look at Tools>Options>LibreOffice Writer>Tables
> > Input in Tables for global settings.

Thank you Barbara and Cour. I have a stubborn learning style -- I'm
stubborn. I just won't get it until I have found it in LibreWriter
Help (F1). From your positive declarations, I know for sure it is
there, and your assistance proves it will work. But I haven't yet
found headings and places I consider obvious, like under "decimal" or
"alignment." I'm making LibreOffice my new home, and I will soon
figure it out with your assistance and a bit more of your patience.

On 10/12/2010 2:33 PM, David Nuddleman wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:
>
>> Barbara Duprey wrote (12-10-10 14:55)
>>> On 10/12/2010 12:21 AM, David Nuddleman wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> It should work if you select the column, right-click, and select Number
>>> Format. Then select Number and one of the formats that shows two decimal
>>> places, and set the decimal places value near the bottom of the dialog
>>> to 2.
>>
>> And pls. also have a look at Tools>Options>LibreOffice Writer>Tables > Input in Tables for global
>> settings.
>
> Thank you Barbara and Cour. I have a stubborn learning style -- I'm stubborn. I just won't get it
> until I have found it in LibreWriter Help (F1). From your positive declarations, I know for sure
> it is there, and your assistance proves it will work. But I haven't yet found headings and places
> I consider obvious, like under "decimal" or "alignment." I'm making LibreOffice my new home, and I
> will soon figure it out with your assistance and a bit more of your patience.

How about "formats/ number and currency formats" or "defaults/ number formats" in the help index
(for the general information I gave you), and either "tables in text/ default settings" or
"defaults/ program configuration" then the link to OpenOffice.org Writer, then Table, in the topic
"Input in tables" for the additional help Cor provided? There are obviously lots of possibilities
that are not indexed, also -- for instance, "decimal places" in the Find tab has Numbers/ Format
which again gets you into the first topic. And "number recognition" has a Table entry that gets you
to the other item. But there are clearly many things that would be nice to see be more apparent in
the Help info -- maybe you can volunteer to help write it!

On Oct 12, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 2:33 PM, David Nuddleman wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:
>>> Barbara Duprey wrote (12-10-10 14:55)

<snip>

> How about "formats/ number and currency formats" or "defaults/
> number formats" in the help index (for the general information I
> gave you), and either "tables in text/ default settings" or
> "defaults/ program configuration" then the link to OpenOffice.org
> Writer, then Table, in the topic "Input in tables" for the
> additional help Cor provided? There are obviously lots of
> possibilities that are not indexed, also -- for instance, "decimal
> places" in the Find tab has Numbers/ Format which again gets you
> into the first topic. And "number recognition" has a Table entry
> that gets you to the other item.

Here is precious insight, to get me around a host of possible
solutions to what might have appeared to be a simple question. I
imagine the ways these options can all pop into your head. Obviously,
you can never be replaced by a computer.

> But there are clearly many things that would be nice to see be more
> apparent in the Help info -- maybe you can volunteer to help write it!

 From the way you know your way around LibreOffice, would you agree
that shortcomings of Help function would be improved through better
indexing?

NoOp NoOp

On 10/12/2010 04:09 PM, David Nuddleman wrote:
>  From the way you know your way around LibreOffice, would you agree
> that shortcomings of Help function would be improved through better
> indexing?

Click on the 'Find' tab & enter:
decimal places
See: Table Wizard...

Or: Contents|Text Documents|Tables in Text Documents etc.

Or better yet, download the OOo documents for Writer. Those should
suffice until LibO convert/create their own.
http://documentation.openoffice.org/
<http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/0200WG3-WriterGuide.pdf>