desktop-integration

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

desktop-integration

Hello,
I downloaded LO 4.1.0-RC3 yesterday. Looking at the files after tar -xvf ...
I find that there still is no desktop-integration directory in the main
installation tree of files. Is it meant to be like that?
Regards
H. stoellinger

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: desktop-integration

On 20/07/2013 at 17:26, "Heinrich Stoellinger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded LO 4.1.0-RC3 yesterday. Looking at the files after tar -xvf
> ... I find that there still is no desktop-integration directory in the
> main installation tree of files. Is it meant to be like that?

You are obviously talking about Linux, but since you did not specify
distribution, we have to guess...

Anyway, desktop integration packages has been moved from their own directory
into packages directory. In Debian and derivatives that is:
libreoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.0-3_all.deb
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: desktop-integration

On 07/20/2013 12:21 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 20/07/2013 at 17:26, "Heinrich Stoellinger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded LO 4.1.0-RC3 yesterday. Looking at the files after tar -xvf
>> ... I find that there still is no desktop-integration directory in the
>> main installation tree of files. Is it meant to be like that?
> You are obviously talking about Linux, but since you did not specify
> distribution, we have to guess...
>
> Anyway, desktop integration packages has been moved from their own directory
> into packages directory. In Debian and derivatives that is:
> libreoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.0-3_all.deb

So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?

That would be welcome.

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: desktop-integration

On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
> desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?

Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
(There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with earlier version
of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)

On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO versions
installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not install
desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with unnecessary menu
entries.

But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change is for
good.

On 07/20/2013 02:06 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
>> desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?
> Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
> (There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with earlier version
> of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)
>
> On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO versions
> installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not install
> desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with unnecessary menu
> entries.
>
> But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change is for
> good.

What I now do is test a version on a different system than my main desktop.

For my Debian-based systems, I now uninstall LO before I install the new
version.  This solves some integration issues that sometimes come up and
the fact that sometimes my systems think I still want to run the
previous version, say 4.0.3, when I just installed 4.0.4.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 with MATE desktop and Win7 [in a few flavors].
Ubuntu on my main desktop [5 TB in 3 drives] and two dual booting
laptops, plus a couple of other systems that are used only for specific
functions- like media streaming or demoing.

sun shine sun shine

Re: desktop-integration

On 20/07/13 19:06, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
>> desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?
> Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
> (There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with earlier version
> of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)
>
> On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO versions
> installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not install
> desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with unnecessary menu
> entries.
>
> But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change is for
> good.
In which case the installation notes for the 4.1 for *.deb need to be
updated since they still give the two separate commands, the second
suggesting cd to the desktop-integration directory before issuing the
second sudo dpkg -i *.deb command.

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: desktop-integration

Hello,

The system on which I am trying to get LO 4.1-RC3 to run is:
Linux Debian Wheezy with KDE 4.10, latest software levels.

I first removed LO 3.6.2 using "apt-get remove libreoffice*" and then
installed 4.1-RC3 using "dpkg- i *deb" from within all three directories in
the correct sequence.
The installation went smoothly - no hick-ups!
Now I find LO 4.1 within the programme start menu of KDE (under office
applications). To be precise - everything is there (base, writer, impress, etc.)
except the icon for LibreOffice itself (like it used to be under 3.6).
When I now try to start Writer, nothing at all happens. The same is true when
trying to start the other components...
Any help is appreciated.
Regards from sunny and hot Salzburg
H. Stoellinger

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:22:08 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/07/13 19:06, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
>> On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So we no longer have to do a separate install command for installing the
>>> desktop menus?  So one "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" is all we need?
>> Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
>> (There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with earlier version
>> of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)
>>
>> On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO versions
>> installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not install
>> desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with unnecessary menu
>> entries.
>>
>> But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change is for
>> good.
> In which case the installation notes for the 4.1 for *.deb need to be
> updated since they still give the two separate commands, the second
> suggesting cd to the desktop-integration directory before issuing the
> second sudo dpkg -i *.deb command.
>
> Cheers

sun shine sun shine

Re: desktop-integration

On 21/07/13 09:34, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The system on which I am trying to get LO 4.1-RC3 to run is:
> Linux Debian Wheezy with KDE 4.10, latest software levels.
>
> I first removed LO 3.6.2 using "apt-get remove libreoffice*" and then
> installed 4.1-RC3 using "dpkg- i *deb" from within all three
> directories in
> the correct sequence.
> The installation went smoothly - no hick-ups!
> Now I find LO 4.1 within the programme start menu of KDE (under office
> applications). To be precise - everything is there (base, writer,
> impress, etc.)
> except the icon for LibreOffice itself (like it used to be under 3.6).
> When I now try to start Writer, nothing at all happens. The same is
> true when
> trying to start the other components...
> Any help is appreciated.
> Regards from sunny and hot Salzburg
> H. Stoellinger

Same here Heinrich - which is precisely the same problem I experienced
when I tried installing 4.1 about a month ago. This is why I thought a
desktop-integration directory was still required. The current
installation does not support Gnome (or related) menus, does not seem to
trigger any application to launch.

The read me's and installation documents still refer to a separate
desktop integration command, and if one is to use the installation file,
there is no clear indication of how to do so.

I'm happy enough to beta test, but would like to know how to install the
application to get it to start in the first place.

Anyone out there who has successfully gotten the 4.1 to install and
start on a Debian type system? I'm running Mint 14, and at this point in
time am stymied, so I'm reverting back to 4.0.4 which seems to be pretty
stable and installs and works as one has come to expect of LibO.

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:22:08 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 20/07/13 19:06, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
>>> On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster"
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
>>> (There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with
>>> earlier version
>>> of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)
>>>
>>> On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO
>>> versions
>>> installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not
>>> install
>>> desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with
>>> unnecessary menu
>>> entries.
>>>
>>> But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change
>>> is for
>>> good.
>> In which case the installation notes for the 4.1 for *.deb need to be
>> updated since they still give the two separate commands, the second
>> suggesting cd to the desktop-integration directory before issuing the
>> second sudo dpkg -i *.deb command.
>>
>> Cheers

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: desktop-integration

Hello,
Do you know whether the native MySQL connector works under LO 4.0.4?
If it does I will try THAT release, otherwise I will revert to 3.6.2 -
which works just fine.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:06:35 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/07/13 09:34, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> The system on which I am trying to get LO 4.1-RC3 to run is:
>> Linux Debian Wheezy with KDE 4.10, latest software levels.
>>
>> I first removed LO 3.6.2 using "apt-get remove libreoffice*" and then
>> installed 4.1-RC3 using "dpkg- i *deb" from within all three
>> directories in
>> the correct sequence.
>> The installation went smoothly - no hick-ups!
>> Now I find LO 4.1 within the programme start menu of KDE (under office
>> applications). To be precise - everything is there (base, writer,
>> impress, etc.)
>> except the icon for LibreOffice itself (like it used to be under 3.6).
>> When I now try to start Writer, nothing at all happens. The same is
>> true when
>> trying to start the other components...
>> Any help is appreciated.
>> Regards from sunny and hot Salzburg
>> H. Stoellinger
>
> Same here Heinrich - which is precisely the same problem I experienced
> when I tried installing 4.1 about a month ago. This is why I thought a
> desktop-integration directory was still required. The current
> installation does not support Gnome (or related) menus, does not seem to
> trigger any application to launch.
>
> The read me's and installation documents still refer to a separate
> desktop integration command, and if one is to use the installation file,
> there is no clear indication of how to do so.
>
> I'm happy enough to beta test, but would like to know how to install the
> application to get it to start in the first place.
>
> Anyone out there who has successfully gotten the 4.1 to install and
> start on a Debian type system? I'm running Mint 14, and at this point in
> time am stymied, so I'm reverting back to 4.0.4 which seems to be pretty
> stable and installs and works as one has come to expect of LibO.
>

>> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:22:08 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> In which case the installation notes for the 4.1 for *.deb need to be
>>> updated since they still give the two separate commands, the second
>>> suggesting cd to the desktop-integration directory before issuing the
>>> second sudo dpkg -i *.deb command.
>>>
>>> Cheers

sun shine sun shine

Re: desktop-integration

On 21/07/13 10:14, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
> Hello,
> Do you know whether the native MySQL connector works under LO 4.0.4?
> If it does I will try THAT release, otherwise I will revert to 3.6.2 -
> which works just fine.
> Regards

Hi Heinrich

No I don't know specifically - if you tell me how to check I will do so
and come back to you.

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:06:35 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/07/13 09:34, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> The system on which I am trying to get LO 4.1-RC3 to run is:
>>> Linux Debian Wheezy with KDE 4.10, latest software levels.
>>>
>>> I first removed LO 3.6.2 using "apt-get remove libreoffice*" and then
>>> installed 4.1-RC3 using "dpkg- i *deb" from within all three
>>> directories in
>>> the correct sequence.
>>> The installation went smoothly - no hick-ups!
>>> Now I find LO 4.1 within the programme start menu of KDE (under office
>>> applications). To be precise - everything is there (base, writer,
>>> impress, etc.)
>>> except the icon for LibreOffice itself (like it used to be under 3.6).
>>> When I now try to start Writer, nothing at all happens. The same is
>>> true when
>>> trying to start the other components...
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>> Regards from sunny and hot Salzburg
>>> H. Stoellinger
>>
>> Same here Heinrich - which is precisely the same problem I experienced
>> when I tried installing 4.1 about a month ago. This is why I thought a
>> desktop-integration directory was still required. The current
>> installation does not support Gnome (or related) menus, does not seem to
>> trigger any application to launch.
>>
>> The read me's and installation documents still refer to a separate
>> desktop integration command, and if one is to use the installation file,
>> there is no clear indication of how to do so.
>>
>> I'm happy enough to beta test, but would like to know how to install the
>> application to get it to start in the first place.
>>
>> Anyone out there who has successfully gotten the 4.1 to install and
>> start on a Debian type system? I'm running Mint 14, and at this point in
>> time am stymied, so I'm reverting back to 4.0.4 which seems to be pretty
>> stable and installs and works as one has come to expect of LibO.

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: desktop-integration

Hi,
Well, I suppose you have a MySQL database running? If so, you have to define
an LO-Base-database (file->new database). Then you have to choose the
Native MySQL connection, server parameters (such as server name, MySQL-
database name, password, port (3306)). Let me know if you have any trouble -
because I could of course remove 4.1 und install 4.0.4 myself.
Thanks a lot
regards

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:40:17 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/07/13 10:14, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Do you know whether the native MySQL connector works under LO 4.0.4?
>> If it does I will try THAT release, otherwise I will revert to 3.6.2 -
>> which works just fine.
>> Regards
>>

> Hi Heinrich
>
> No I don't know specifically - if you tell me how to check I will do so
> and come back to you.

>> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:06:35 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Same here Heinrich - which is precisely the same problem I experienced
>>> when I tried installing 4.1 about a month ago. This is why I thought a
>>> desktop-integration directory was still required. The current
>>> installation does not support Gnome (or related) menus, does not seem to
>>> trigger any application to launch.
>>>
>>> The read me's and installation documents still refer to a separate
>>> desktop integration command, and if one is to use the installation file,
>>> there is no clear indication of how to do so.
>>>
>>> I'm happy enough to beta test, but would like to know how to install the
>>> application to get it to start in the first place.
>>>
>>> Anyone out there who has successfully gotten the 4.1 to install and
>>> start on a Debian type system? I'm running Mint 14, and at this point in
>>> time am stymied, so I'm reverting back to 4.0.4 which seems to be pretty
>>> stable and installs and works as one has come to expect of LibO.

sun shine sun shine

Re: desktop-integration

On 21/07/13 12:18, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:

> Hi,
> Well, I suppose you have a MySQL database running? If so, you have to
> define
> an LO-Base-database (file->new database). Then you have to choose the
> Native MySQL connection, server parameters (such as server name, MySQL-
> database name, password, port (3306)). Let me know if you have any
> trouble -
> because I could of course remove 4.1 und install 4.0.4 myself.
> Thanks a lot
> regards

Hi again

No I am not running a MySQL dB, however, if it worked under 4.0 through
4.0.3 then there should be no reason that it wouldn't do so also under
4.0.4 as well. If you haven't already done so, browse the read mes and
change logs, but I can't see any mention of any changes to MySQL
connectivity when I went through them.

Good luck

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:40:17 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On 21/07/13 10:14, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Do you know whether the native MySQL connector works under LO 4.0.4?
>>> If it does I will try THAT release, otherwise I will revert to 3.6.2 -
>>> which works just fine.
>>> Regards
>>>

>> Hi Heinrich
>>
>> No I don't know specifically - if you tell me how to check I will do so
>> and come back to you.

Peter Maunder Peter Maunder

Re: desktop-integration

I confirm that the 4.1.0.3 can install alongside 4.0.4.2 on DEB systems, except for the application panels. One reason may be that they use the same ./config/libreoffice/4 folders.

I have 3.6.4.3,  4.0.4.2 and 4.1.0.3 all installed on two systems an Ubuntu 12.04 desktop and a Linux-Mint-Mate 13. I used the sudo dpkg -i *.deb method.

I can run all three versions, but only one at a time. The application panels refer to the 4.0 version. These replaced the 3.6 panels when I added the 4.0 version. The 4.0 panels are still there when I added 4.1  as they were not updated when installing 4.1, So I assume you would need to uninstall 4.0 first.

I manually created a soffice and swriter startup panels for 3.6 and 4.1 as the applications are held in separate  /opt folders as libreoffice3.6, libreoffice4.0 and libreoffice4.1. However 4.0 and 4.1 both use the same ./config/libreoffice/4 folder, just as version 3.6 uses the /3 configuration folder. The earlier /beta version used ./config/libreofficedev/4 which did allow 4.0 and 4.1 to use different settings.

I hope this helps a little bit.. Peter
Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: desktop-integration

Heinrich,
Have you tried bringing LibreOffice up with "soffice" in a terminal
shell, or unambiguously, "/opt/libreoffice4.1/program/soffice" (less
quotes, of course)?
If that works, then you could manually add a link in your menu or at
least an icon on your desktop.
soffice is the main libreoffice program or, more accurately, script,
that invokes the other programs (Writer, Calc, etc.). If that program is
not run first, then the others may not be initialized properly to run.

You could also run writer, calc, etc. from a terminal and see what
messages are output from it. They may give you a clue as to why it isn't
running properly. But my bet is on soffice.

FYI: "soffice" is a legacy name from the StarOffice days. Maybe some day
the devs will get around to changing that - unless it would break something.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The system on which I am trying to get LO 4.1-RC3 to run is:
> Linux Debian Wheezy with KDE 4.10, latest software levels.
>
> I first removed LO 3.6.2 using "apt-get remove libreoffice*" and then
> installed 4.1-RC3 using "dpkg- i *deb" from within all three
> directories in
> the correct sequence.
> The installation went smoothly - no hick-ups!
> Now I find LO 4.1 within the programme start menu of KDE (under office
> applications). To be precise - everything is there (base, writer,
> impress, etc.)
> except the icon for LibreOffice itself (like it used to be under 3.6).
> When I now try to start Writer, nothing at all happens. The same is
> true when
> trying to start the other components...
> Any help is appreciated.
> Regards from sunny and hot Salzburg
> H. Stoellinger
>
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:22:08 +0200, sun shine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 20/07/13 19:06, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
>>> On 20/07/2013 at 19:51, "Kracked_P_P---webmaster"
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> Yes, this is how it is supposed to work.
>>> (There are some bugs in rc3 that causes package conflicts with
>>> earlier version
>>> of LO, so running this command might run you into trouble.)
>>>
>>> On the other hand: if you are like me and you keep different LO
>>> versions
>>> installed for testing purposes, then you must take extra care to not
>>> install
>>> desktop-menus and not pollute your working environment with
>>> unnecessary menu
>>> entries.
>>>
>>> But since this is not use-case for most of users, I believe change
>>> is for
>>> good.
>> In which case the installation notes for the 4.1 for *.deb need to be
>> updated since they still give the two separate commands, the second
>> suggesting cd to the desktop-integration directory before issuing the
>> second sudo dpkg -i *.deb command.
>>
>> Cheers

sun shine sun shine

Re: desktop-integration

Girvin

This is a topic I have some interest in and have been following.

While I am aware of the capacity to run the soffice script from the
terminal and even creating a custom launcher for the Gnome, XFCE4 and in
Mint, Mate panels, what I am curious about is exactly why doing so is
even necessary in the first place?

This will have been the first time in my experience of using OOo and now
LibO that doing this manually is necessary, and it makes me wonder what
value the desktop-integration package has if the user still needs to do
this customised approach to get the application to work.

Are you able to shine any light on the matter? Is this an oversight from
the 4.1. beta developers, a bug, or - a feature? Similarly, any ideas
about why this desktop integration (which doesn't) is only geared for
the KDE and not for Gnome (and Gnome-like) DEs?

Thanks for any insights you can share.

On 21/07/13 20:47, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

> Heinrich,
> Have you tried bringing LibreOffice up with "soffice" in a terminal
> shell, or unambiguously, "/opt/libreoffice4.1/program/soffice" (less
> quotes, of course)?
> If that works, then you could manually add a link in your menu or at
> least an icon on your desktop.
> soffice is the main libreoffice program or, more accurately, script,
> that invokes the other programs (Writer, Calc, etc.). If that program
> is not run first, then the others may not be initialized properly to run.
>
> You could also run writer, calc, etc. from a terminal and see what
> messages are output from it. They may give you a clue as to why it
> isn't running properly. But my bet is on soffice.
>
> FYI: "soffice" is a legacy name from the StarOffice days. Maybe some
> day the devs will get around to changing that - unless it would break
> something.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Girvin Herr

<snip>

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: desktop-integration

Heinrich,
I am sorry.  I misunderstood your intent.  Yes, it does seem like a bug
and should be addressed.

I cannot shed any light on this specific subject, since I am not using
any 4.x LO version.  I am keeping with the stable 3.6+ series until
4.1.4+ is released.  Then I may try it, depending on the complaints I
see on this forum.  That is just my computer policy.

As for desktop integration (DI) being kde-specific, I don't think that
is the case.  Yes, there were, and still are in the 3.6 series, several
versions of desktop integration for the different desktop environments
(DEs).  However, I just checked my 3.6.6.2 version and there are now
only three: freedesktop, mandriva, and suse.  There is no kde or
gnome-specific version and the freedesktop DI seems to be the coming
standard  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ , with mandriva and suse the
final holdouts in the 3.6.6.2 case.  So, I suspect if you select
freedesktop for your gnome DE, it should work for you.  It works for my
KDE DE.  In fact, gnome and kde are now so similar in API (Application
Programming Interface) that they will run each others' apps (kde and
gtk) and share the desktop directories/links, if not the menus.  You may
have also read the reply to this thread that the LO 4.1 series no longer
has separate DI rpm package files, but has the DI integrated into the
main package. I suspect that integration is the freedesktop DI, but that
is just a guess.

The bottom line is that this problem you are experiencing - not being
able to run the main LO program or any of the sub-apps -  does seem like
a bug to me.  Not being able to select a particular DI, may not be a
bug, but just evolution.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

sun shine wrote:

> Girvin
>
> This is a topic I have some interest in and have been following.
>
> While I am aware of the capacity to run the soffice script from the
> terminal and even creating a custom launcher for the Gnome, XFCE4 and
> in Mint, Mate panels, what I am curious about is exactly why doing so
> is even necessary in the first place?
>
> This will have been the first time in my experience of using OOo and
> now LibO that doing this manually is necessary, and it makes me wonder
> what value the desktop-integration package has if the user still needs
> to do this customised approach to get the application to work.
>
> Are you able to shine any light on the matter? Is this an oversight
> from the 4.1. beta developers, a bug, or - a feature? Similarly, any
> ideas about why this desktop integration (which doesn't) is only
> geared for the KDE and not for Gnome (and Gnome-like) DEs?
>
> Thanks for any insights you can share.
>

> On 21/07/13 20:47, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
>> Heinrich,
>> Have you tried bringing LibreOffice up with "soffice" in a terminal
>> shell, or unambiguously, "/opt/libreoffice4.1/program/soffice" (less
>> quotes, of course)?
>> If that works, then you could manually add a link in your menu or at
>> least an icon on your desktop.
>> soffice is the main libreoffice program or, more accurately, script,
>> that invokes the other programs (Writer, Calc, etc.). If that program
>> is not run first, then the others may not be initialized properly to
>> run.
>>
>> You could also run writer, calc, etc. from a terminal and see what
>> messages are output from it. They may give you a clue as to why it
>> isn't running properly. But my bet is on soffice.
>>
>> FYI: "soffice" is a legacy name from the StarOffice days. Maybe some
>> day the devs will get around to changing that - unless it would break
>> something.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Girvin Herr
>>
> <snip>

Tom Tom

Re: desktop-integration

I think the desktop integration packages normally get added around the time that beta-testing is over.  It might have happened earlier in some branches, such as the 4.0.0 but when beta testing it's fairly normal to find one or 2 things are not quite finalised.  Normally you just report problem and get on with the rest to see if you can find anything else.  Getting bogged down with 1 issue means you miss the chance to explore the rest.

Thanks for testing so far though!  Good work.  Good luck with the rest! :)
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

'Stable version' Re: [libreoffice-users] desktop-integration

Hi Girvin,

Sorry for jumping in but I read this text from you:

Girvin R. Herr wrote (22-07-13 20:50)

> [...]
> I cannot shed any light on this specific subject, since I am not using
> any 4.x LO version.  I am keeping with the stable 3.6+ series until
> 4.1.4+ is released.
> [...]

The 4.0 series is not different from the 3.6 or 4.1 in the sense that
you can use a third or fourth bugfix release (so 4.0.3 or 4.0.4) just as
fine as the 3.6.4 and later the 4.1.4 .

Kind regards,
Cor

   (  Who is doing almost all his professional work on beta versions and
release candidates ;)   )

--
  - Cor Nouws
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Petr Mladek Petr Mladek

Re: desktop-integration

Heinrich Stoellinger píše v So 20. 07. 2013 v 17:26 +0200:
> Hello,
> I downloaded LO 4.1.0-RC3 yesterday. Looking at the files after tar -xvf ...
> I find that there still is no desktop-integration directory in the main
> installation tree of files. Is it meant to be like that?

The "desktop-integration" directory has been removed in LO-4.1. It was
there from historical reasons:

    1. There was different desktop integration for different RPM-based Linux distributions.
       They were not longer needed because Linux distros switched to the "Freedesktop"
       standard, so the freedestop-menus package should work on all RPM-based distros.

     2. The desktop integration packages for different Lo version conflicted. This was solved
        by versioning  the package names, filenames, menu entries. So, you could install
        the desktop integration for LO 4.1 in parallel with the desktop integration for LO 4.0

We removed the subdirectory to make it easier to install the package. Unfortunately,
we forgot to update the installation instructions in the README file. It will be fixed
in the 1st bugfix release, 4.1.1, see
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67061

Well, the is still one problem with files and directories ownership in the .deb packages.
It might cause problems with the desktop integration. See
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67388

Best Regards,
Petr

Tom Tom

Re: desktop-integration

Hi :)
WOW!! :D  Top marks to the devs that were involved with this and many thanks to Petr for letting us know too.

I think it would be good to publicise this a bit more widely.  Surprisingly few people ever seem to read Readmes.  it's a good place to start obviously.

Perhaps someone could pass it on to the Marketing List to nominate it as an entry in the next announcement?  I don't think there is a formal process for that yet but it might help the person that puts the announcements together.  There's always a list of things that could go in but it's tricky to pick on the 1 or 2 'killer' features.