display

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

display

Good night = morning from Japan
I believe I did ask the same question in the past related to an
installation on a Win XP machine:
moving through documents (Writer) in LibreOffice while editing sometimes
(constantly!) sort of blurrs/freezes the screen.
That means, characters/lines/text sections "disappear", look like
smeared ink or are displayer overlapping.
The "problem" is solved, by switching to another Writer document and back.
That's fine, but still rather stupid and happens ONLY with Writer (not
yet noticed in Calc).

Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a nightmare!!!),
8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
understanding.

So, I would LOVE to believe, that there cannot be any sort of
"insufficient power".

IS there a trick to convince the display to work smoothly???
Thank you.
Thomas

TomD TomD

Re: display

Hi :)
Maybe increase the memory settings in LibreOffice?  The defaults tend to be
extremely low and on such a high-spec machine you can whack them right up.

Tools - Options - Memory

It sounds a bit like rendering issues so maybe the drivers for the
graphics-'card' are not quite right.  I'm very much not sure about any of
that though!

On 2015/04/23 0:44, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Maybe increase the memory settings in LibreOffice?  The defaults tend to be
> extremely low and on such a high-spec machine you can whack them right up.
>
> Tools - Options - Memory
>
> It sounds a bit like rendering issues so maybe the drivers for the
> graphics-'card' are not quite right.  I'm very much not sure about any of
> that though!
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 22 April 2015 at 16:17, Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Good night = morning from Japan
>> I believe I did ask the same question in the past related to an
>> installation on a Win XP machine:
>> moving through documents (Writer) in LibreOffice while editing sometimes
>> (constantly!) sort of blurrs/freezes the screen.
>> That means, characters/lines/text sections "disappear", look like
>> smeared ink or are displayer overlapping.
>> The "problem" is solved, by switching to another Writer document and back.
>> That's fine, but still rather stupid and happens ONLY with Writer (not
>> yet noticed in Calc).
>>
>> Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a nightmare!!!),
>> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
>> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
>> understanding.

Thank you.
Just increasing the memory (from 50 MB to 200 MB for LO) did not work,
but while playing around in "options", I found "View" -> "Use hardware
acceleration".
For now, that seems to improve things ...

Graphics card, its driver etc. are things that have been put there by
the manufacturer 2 weeks ago and I did not touch those.
Here too I would like to think, that THEY know a lot better than I do ...

Ralf Kersanach-2 Ralf Kersanach-2

Re: display

Hi,

I must say I have a similar behavior on my linux machine which has a similar
configuratio as of Thomas (a part from the SSD and windows 8.1). My graphic
card is the hybrid one (NVIDIA GT-630M), processor an i7 and 8 GB RAM and 1 TB
HD. I boosted my libre office (4.4.2) up to 250 MB, and 50 MB per document)
and sometimes even with only one document text tearing happens. I must confess
I haven't payed attention a) if the overall system memory was quite low or b)
if the limit of the allocated memory usage or the per document memory reached
their limit.

I'll keep an eye on them to see if such behavior is consistent with low
memory.

Ralf

On Thursday 23 April 2015 02:16:52 Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> On 2015/04/23 0:44, Tom Davies wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > Maybe increase the memory settings in LibreOffice?  The defaults tend to
> > be
> > extremely low and on such a high-spec machine you can whack them right up.
> >
> > Tools - Options - Memory
> >
> > It sounds a bit like rendering issues so maybe the drivers for the
> > graphics-'card' are not quite right.  I'm very much not sure about any of
> > that though!
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)
> >
> > On 22 April 2015 at 16:17, Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Good night = morning from Japan
> >> I believe I did ask the same question in the past related to an
> >> installation on a Win XP machine:
> >> moving through documents (Writer) in LibreOffice while editing sometimes
> >> (constantly!) sort of blurrs/freezes the screen.
> >> That means, characters/lines/text sections "disappear", look like
> >> smeared ink or are displayer overlapping.
> >> The "problem" is solved, by switching to another Writer document and
> >> back.
> >> That's fine, but still rather stupid and happens ONLY with Writer (not
> >> yet noticed in Calc).
> >>
> >> Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a nightmare!!!),
> >> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
> >> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
> >> understanding.
>
> Thank you.
> Just increasing the memory (from 50 MB to 200 MB for LO) did not work,
> but while playing around in "options", I found "View" -> "Use hardware
> acceleration".
> For now, that seems to improve things ...
>
> Graphics card, its driver etc. are things that have been put there by
> the manufacturer 2 weeks ago and I did not touch those.
> Here too I would like to think, that THEY know a lot better than I do ...

TomD TomD

Re: display

Hi :)
I'm never convinced that the settings on a new machine are perfect but i
agree it is a good idea to stick with them until there is convincing enough
reason to try something else.  Since there was no barrage of people
applauding that part of my idea it's not exactly convincing enough!!  The
memory part sounds plausible though and is fairly easy to change and get
back to approximately default if it doesn't seem to do anything.

That hardware acceleration sounds exactly perfect!  Well found!  I hope
Firefox has something similar because that's where i get the same sort of
issue on this machine.

On 23 April 2015 at 13:23, Ralf Kersanach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I must say I have a similar behavior on my linux machine which has a
> similar
> configuration as of Thomas (apart from the SSD and windows 8.1). My graphic
> card is the hybrid one (NVIDIA GT-630M), processor an i7 and 8 GB RAM and
> 1 TB
> HD. I boosted my libre office (4.4.2) up to 250 MB, and 50 MB per document)
> and sometimes even with only one document text tearing happens. I must
> confess
> I haven't payed attention a) if the overall system memory was quite low or
> b)
> if the limit of the allocated memory usage or the per document memory
> reached
> their limit.
>
> I'll keep an eye on them to see if such behavior is consistent with low
> memory.
>
> Ralf
>

> On Thursday 23 April 2015 02:16:52 Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> > On 2015/04/23 0:44, Tom Davies wrote:
> > > Hi :)
> > > Maybe increase the memory settings in LibreOffice?  The defaults tend
> > > be
> > > extremely low and on such a high-spec machine you can whack them right
> up.
> > >
> > > Tools - Options - Memory
> > >
> > > It sounds a bit like rendering issues so maybe the drivers for the
> > > graphics-'card' are not quite right.  I'm very much not sure about any
> of
> > > that though!
> > > Regards from
> > > Tom :)

> sometimes

> nightmare!!!),
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Just increasing the memory (from 50 MB to 200 MB for LO) did not work,
> > but while playing around in "options", I found "View" -> "Use hardware
> > acceleration".
> > For now, that seems to improve things ...
> >
> > Graphics card, its driver etc. are things that have been put there by
> > the manufacturer 2 weeks ago and I did not touch those.
> > Here too I would like to think, that THEY know a lot better than I do ...

Ralf Kersanach-2 Ralf Kersanach-2

Re: display

Hi Tom,

I've never noticed it with Firefox on linux, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Ralf
--
Laboratório de Biodiversidade Genética
Instituto de Ciências Biológicas
On Thursday 23 April 2015 13:50:53 Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> I'm never convinced that the settings on a new machine are perfect but i
> agree it is a good idea to stick with them until there is convincing enough
> reason to try something else.  Since there was no barrage of people
> applauding that part of my idea it's not exactly convincing enough!!  The
> memory part sounds plausible though and is fairly easy to change and get
> back to approximately default if it doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> That hardware acceleration sounds exactly perfect!  Well found!  I hope
> Firefox has something similar because that's where i get the same sort of
> issue on this machine.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
> On 23 April 2015 at 13:23, Ralf Kersanach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I must say I have a similar behavior on my linux machine which has a
> > similar
> > configuration as of Thomas (apart from the SSD and windows 8.1). My
> > graphic
> > card is the hybrid one (NVIDIA GT-630M), processor an i7 and 8 GB RAM and
> > 1 TB
> > HD. I boosted my libre office (4.4.2) up to 250 MB, and 50 MB per
> > document)
> > and sometimes even with only one document text tearing happens. I must
> > confess
> > I haven't payed attention a) if the overall system memory was quite low or
> > b)
> > if the limit of the allocated memory usage or the per document memory
> > reached
> > their limit.
> >
> > I'll keep an eye on them to see if such behavior is consistent with low
> > memory.
> >
> > Ralf

> > up.

> > of

> > sometimes

> > nightmare!!!),

> > > Thank you.
> > > Just increasing the memory (from 50 MB to 200 MB for LO) did not work,
> > > but while playing around in "options", I found "View" -> "Use hardware
> > > acceleration".
> > > For now, that seems to improve things ...
> > >
> > > Graphics card, its driver etc. are things that have been put there by
> > > the manufacturer 2 weeks ago and I did not touch those.
> > > Here too I would like to think, that THEY know a lot better than I do

TomD TomD

Re: display

Hi :)
Just a quick google search gave me a couple results to try out and a forum
to post questions in.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1013828
http://lifehacker.com/disable-firefoxs-hardware-acceleration-to-fix-slowness-749344037

But i've not tried them yet and my machine is behaving remarkably well
today anyway so the result might not be immediately obvious.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

On 23 April 2015 at 14:21, Ralf Kersanach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I've never noticed it with Firefox on linux, but I'll keep an eye on it.
>
> Ralf
> --
> Laboratório de Biodiversidade Genética
> Instituto de Ciências Biológicas
> Universidade Federal do Rio Grande - FURG
> Av. Itália, s/n, Carreiros
> 96201-900, Rio Grande, RS - Brasil
> Tel.:+.55.53.3293.5128
>         +.55.53.3233.6742/6538
> e-mail:dmbralf"at"furg.br
> msn:r_kersanach"at"hotmail.com
> skype: ralfkersanach
> On Thursday 23 April 2015 13:50:53 Tom Davies wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > I'm never convinced that the settings on a new machine are perfect but i
> > agree it is a good idea to stick with them until there is convincing
> enough
> > reason to try something else.  Since there was no barrage of people
> > applauding that part of my idea it's not exactly convincing enough!!  The
> > memory part sounds plausible though and is fairly easy to change and get
> > back to approximately default if it doesn't seem to do anything.
> >
> > That hardware acceleration sounds exactly perfect!  Well found!  I hope
> > Firefox has something similar because that's where i get the same sort of
> > issue on this machine.
> >
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)
> >
> > On 23 April 2015 at 13:23, Ralf Kersanach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I must say I have a similar behavior on my linux machine which has a
> > > similar
> > > configuration as of Thomas (apart from the SSD and windows 8.1). My
> > > graphic
> > > card is the hybrid one (NVIDIA GT-630M), processor an i7 and 8 GB RAM
> and
> > > 1 TB
> > > HD. I boosted my libre office (4.4.2) up to 250 MB, and 50 MB per
> > > document)
> > > and sometimes even with only one document text tearing happens. I must
> > > confess
> > > I haven't payed attention a) if the overall system memory was quite
> low or
> > > b)
> > > if the limit of the allocated memory usage or the per document memory
> > > reached
> > > their limit.
> > >
> > > I'll keep an eye on them to see if such behavior is consistent with low
> > > memory.
> > >
> > > Ralf

> tend

> right
> > >
> > > up.

> any
> > >
> > > of

> > > sometimes

> and

> > > nightmare!!!),

> work,
> hardware

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: display

Screen tearing issue with NVidia may be resolved by changing Vertical
Sync to Adaptive.

Start video at  URL below at 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRpnQ09_LA

The video is from 2013 and may not quite match, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

On 2015/04/23 23:06, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

> Screen tearing issue with NVidia may be resolved by changing Vertical
> Sync to Adaptive.
>
> Start video at  URL below at 40 seconds.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRpnQ09_LA
>
> The video is from 2013 and may not quite match, but you get the idea.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> On 4/22/2015 11:17 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>> Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a nightmare!!!),
>> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
>> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
>> understanding.

Am I correct assuming, that this applies ONLY to NVidia graphic cards?
My computer has an "Intel HD Graphics 4600" and I cannot find anywhere a
setting called "vertical sync"
Thomas

Try here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034107.htm

On 4/23/2015 2:24 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> On 2015/04/23 23:06, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
>> Screen tearing issue with NVidia may be resolved by changing Vertical
>> Sync to Adaptive.
>>
>> Start video at  URL below at 40 seconds.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRpnQ09_LA
>>
>> The video is from 2013 and may not quite match, but you get the idea.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> On 4/22/2015 11:17 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>>
>>> Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a
>>> nightmare!!!),
>>> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
>>> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
>>> understanding.
>>>

> Am I correct assuming, that this applies ONLY to NVidia graphic cards?
> My computer has an "Intel HD Graphics 4600" and I cannot find anywhere
> a setting called "vertical sync"
> Thomas

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: display

> Good night = morning from Japan
> I believe I did ask the same question in the past related to an
> installation on a Win XP machine:
> moving through documents (Writer) in LibreOffice while editing sometimes
> (constantly!) sort of blurrs/freezes the screen.
> That means, characters/lines/text sections "disappear", look like
> smeared ink or are displayer overlapping.
> The "problem" is solved, by switching to another Writer document and back.
> That's fine, but still rather stupid and happens ONLY with Writer (not
> yet noticed in Calc).
>
> Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a nightmare!!!),
> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
> understanding.
>
> So, I would LOVE to believe, that there cannot be any sort of
> "insufficient power".
>
> IS there a trick to convince the display to work smoothly???
> Thank you.
> Thomas

​Thomas, this is a tad off-topic, but since you mentioned that «Windows 8.1​

​(= a nightmare !!!)»​, I thought I'd suggest two simple steps to tame the
beast :

   1. Install Classic Shell from *classicshell.net
   <http://classicshell.net>* (elect the Windows 7 interface and change the
   start button), and
   2. Deactivate the superfluous Lockscreen by following the steps found
   here :
   *http://www.howtogeek.com/134620/how-to-disable-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8-without-using-group-policy*
   <http://www.howtogeek.com/134620/how-to-disable-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8-without-using-group-policy>
   */*

While not, alas, quite as good as dumping Windows altogether and
installing, e g, Linux Mint 17.1 instead, it should suffice to turn those
nightmares into relatively sweet dreams. I know it has for many retirees
here in Stockholm whom we help with computer problems....

Henri

On 2015/04/25 2:10, M Henri Day wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>

>     Computer: just bought a new one, running Windows 8.1 (= a
>     nightmare!!!),
>     8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
>     and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I not capable of
>     understanding.
>
>     So, I would LOVE to believe, that there cannot be any sort of
>     "insufficient power".
>
>     IS there a trick to convince the display to work smoothly???
>     Thank you.
>     Thomas
>

> ​Thomas, this is a tad off-topic, but since you mentioned that
> «Windows 8.1​
> ​(= a nightmare !!!)»​, I thought I'd suggest two simple steps to tame
> the beast :
>
>  1. Install Classic Shell from *classicshell.net
>     <http://classicshell.net>* (elect the Windows 7 interface and
>     change the start button), and
>  2. Deactivate the superfluous Lockscreen by following the steps found
>     here :
>     *_http://www.howtogeek.com/134620/how-to-disable-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8-without-using-group-policy_*/*_/_*/
>
> While not, alas, quite as good as dumping Windows altogether and
> installing, e g, Linux Mint 17.1 instead, it should suffice to turn
> those nightmares into relatively sweet dreams. I know it has for many
> retirees here in Stockholm whom we help with computer problems....
>
> Henri/**/
Thank you!
Actually, I am trying already for more than 7 years to "get friendly"
with Linux and by now can install the OS.
Every further step results in trouble ...

On 2015/04/24 23:30, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

> Try here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034107.htm
>
> On 4/23/2015 2:24 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>> On 2015/04/23 23:06, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
>>> Screen tearing issue with NVidia may be resolved by changing
>>> Vertical Sync to Adaptive.
>>>
>>> Start video at  URL below at 40 seconds.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRpnQ09_LA
>>>
>>> The video is from 2013 and may not quite match, but you get the idea.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>> Am I correct assuming, that this applies ONLY to NVidia graphic cards?
>> My computer has an "Intel HD Graphics 4600" and I cannot find
>> anywhere a setting called "vertical sync"
>> Thomas

Thank you.
That link helped me to understand the situation better AND how to get to
the setting of my graphics card.

However, changing the settings related to "vertical sync", I believe I
can choose between TWO, does NOT help.
The screen tearing still happens as before.

Now I have all that "super power" all over the place and still
constantly have to switch between two LO documents (could not yet find
the shortcut key for minimizing the window)
to be able to have a look at my text.

Is there anything else I could try?
Thomas

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: display

See:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2F2000
for current driver.

Also "Difficulties starting LibreOffice (e.g. applications hang) as well
as problems with the screen display are often caused by the graphics
card driver. If these problems occur, please update your graphics card
driver or try using the graphics driver delivered with your operating
system. Difficulties displaying 3D objects can often be solved by
deactivating the option "Use OpenGL" under 'Tools - Options -
LibreOffice - View - 3D view'."

From: http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html

But watch out for: http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/answers/46802/revisions/

While it may not necessarily be a 3D problem, graphics, as in display,
may be tied together.

Hope this helps.

On 2015/04/27 23:28, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

> See:
> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2F2000
> for current driver.
>
> Also "Difficulties starting LibreOffice (e.g. applications hang) as
> well as problems with the screen display are often caused by the
> graphics card driver. If these problems occur, please update your
> graphics card driver or try using the graphics driver delivered with
> your operating system. Difficulties displaying 3D objects can often be
> solved by deactivating the option "Use OpenGL" under 'Tools - Options
> - LibreOffice - View - 3D view'."
>
> From: http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>
> But watch out for: http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/answers/46802/revisions/
>
> While it may not necessarily be a 3D problem, graphics, as in display,
> may be tied together.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> On 4/26/2015 6:55 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>> On 2015/04/24 23:30, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
>>> Try here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034107.htm

>> Thank you.
>> That link helped me to understand the situation better AND how to get
>> to the setting of my graphics card.
>>
>> However, changing the settings related to "vertical sync", I believe
>> I can choose between TWO, does NOT help.
>> The screen tearing still happens as before.
>>
>> Now I have all that "super power" all over the place and still
>> constantly have to switch between two LO documents (could not yet
>> find the shortcut key for minimizing the window)
>> to be able to have a look at my text.
>>
>> Is there anything else I could try?
>> Thomas

Good evening from Japan
I do not want to be annoying, but ...
This "screen tearing" (or however it is called) happened (past tense) /
happens ONLY with Writer.
It did so on ALL computers (using both Windows and Linux) on which I
have been using LibreOffice in the past.

It DOES NOT happen in Calc!
Neither does this happen with any other software.

Therefore, the theory about graphic driver, settings etc. somehow is not
completely convincing.
(Somehow I assume, that the new computer has the newest graphic driver
installed.)
Accordingly, I still would like to believe, that there must be a
"Writer-specific" setting somewhere ....

Probably missing the "point" altogether
Thomas

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: display

Last chance resolution

Have you tried changing your Windows setting to a higher or lower
resolution to see if tearing still occurs.

Please report bug with explanation of computer manufacturer and model,
Intel processor and graphics chip(s), LibreOffice version, resolution
settings in which error occurs.

Also, does your computer have a shared graphics engine, say between
Intel and nVidia.

If so, check nVidia settings also.

Sorry could not help more, but it appears you have arrived at the point
of hardware/software issue unique to your model of computer.

Anyone else having this problem, please confirm bug Thomas generates.

Totally understand your frustration.

On 2015/04/23 0:17, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Good night = morning from Japan
> I believe I did ask the same question in the past related to an installation on a Win XP machine:
> moving through documents (Writer) in LibreOffice while editing sometimes
> (constantly!) sort of blurrs/freezes the screen.
> That means, characters/lines/text sections "disappear", look like
> smeared ink or are displayed overlapping.
> The "problem" is solved, by switching to another Writer document and back.
>
> Computer: just bought a new one, no running Windows 10, Intel i7, 3.6 GHz
> 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD = OS + 1 TB HDD
> and probably a whole lot of fancy high-tech stuff I am not capable of understanding.
>
> So, I would LOVE to believe, that there cannot be any sort of
> "insufficient power".
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas

As said above, I did ask this last year in April and even before that.
Mr. Barker suggested minimizing the window.
Actually, that clears the view ... but only once and upon the next
operation the same thing happens again.
I have to "adjust" the view literally hundreds of times a day.

I am really wondering why this happens in the first place. It is
extremely annoying.
The SAME thing happens on at least 6 different computers I have tried: 3
Windows (XP, 7, 10) and 3 Linux (xubuntu, Mint) machines.
All have different hardware configurations.
AND ... on ALL machines this behavior appears ONLY with LibreOffice (I
use mostly Writer and Calc and so do not know about the other components)
Since this behavior affects only LibreOffice on multiple different
machines with different OSs ... I have difficulties recognizing it as a
hardware problem.
I tried to change all settings (including the memory settings) that
might be involved under Options.
So far nothing has helped.
Is there really no way to tell LibreOffice to behave like all other
applications (dozens!) on my computers?

Thank you
Thomas