downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Michael Hartigan Michael Hartigan

downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
Version: 4.1.0.4
Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28

and am running Windows 8.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Michael

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

2013/9/28 Michael Hartigan <[hidden email]>

> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
> Version: 4.1.0.4
> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
>
> and am running Windows 8.
>
> Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Michael

​Michael, have you tried copying the entire text of the document in
That should allow you to fill in the required fields and therewith resolve
the problem....​

​Henri​

Tom Tom

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Hi :)
Errr, it's probably an attachment that just needs to be downloaded/saved onto your machine first.  Another way is to open the file and then choose "Save As ..." to save the file onto your computer properly.  Then the icon-bar and stuff should become visible or stop being "greyed out".

________________________________
2013/9/28 Michael Hartigan <[hidden email]>

> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
> Version: 4.1.0.4
> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
>
> and am running Windows 8.
>
> Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Michael

​Michael, have you tried copying the entire text of the document in
That should allow you to fill in the required fields and therewith resolve
the problem....​

​Henri​

Tim Deaton Tim Deaton

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Could it be that you're trying to fill in a temporary copy of the file?
After you open the application, "Save As" to your computer.  Then try to
fill it in.

-- Tim Deaton
===========================

steveedmonds steveedmonds

On 2013-09-29 08:05, Michael Hartigan wrote:

> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
> Version: 4.1.0.4
> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
>
> and am running Windows 8.
>
> Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Michael
Hi.
Have you tried clicking the little pencil button (edit) to the left of
the pdf button in the tool bar.
Steve

Michael Hartigan Michael Hartigan

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

thanks everyone for your comments.  I am unable to save the file as it
results in a Write Error (read only mode) but cutting and pasting did (sort
of) provide me with something workable, if not an exact copy.  The file in
question is saved on my desktop via Chrome's download function.  Again,
Thanks!

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Tim Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Could it be that you're trying to fill in a temporary copy of the file?
> After you open the application, "Save As" to your computer.  Then try to
> fill it in.
>
> -- Tim Deaton
> ===========================
>

> On 9/28/2013 3:05 PM, Michael Hartigan wrote:
>
> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
> Version: 4.1.0.4
> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
>
> and am running Windows 8.
>
> Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Michael

Michael Hartigan Michael Hartigan

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

it asks for a password.  Wouldn't it be funny if they sent me a PW'd file
without a password to open it.   I will get in touch with them.  Thank you
kindly.

Tom Tom

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Hi :)
Try "password" as the password.  There are several other commonly used passwords but that one is the commonest by far.

It's like using 1234, 1111 or 2222 as the pin number for a bank card.  If you happen to find a bank card that doesn't belong to you and try those 3 numbers you have something like a 25% chance of getting into their account.  'Borrow' 4 cards and you are going to look dodgy trying 1 card after another.

________________________________

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 2013-09-29 08:05, Michael Hartigan wrote:
>
>> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
>> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
>> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
>> and it is not a read-only file.  I am using
>> Version: 4.1.0.4
>> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb**22b1ace28
>>
>> and am running Windows 8.
>>
>> Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
>>
>> Michael
>>
> Hi.
> Have you tried clicking the little pencil button (edit) to the left of the
> pdf button in the tool bar.
> Steve

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

This is what I was going to suggest, as well.  Any document I get via
email is read-only, regardless of its source software (I use Thunderbird
as my client).  Saving the document makes it read/write.

Dave

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 2013-09-29 12:46 AM, Dave Liesse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is what I was going to suggest, as well.  Any document I get via
> email is read-only, regardless of its source software (I use Thunderbird
> as my client).

It wasn't always - less recent version of Thunderbird would open
attachemnts in read/write mode, and this was a major source of confusion
for our users - they would open a document, make changes, just click
'save', then couldn't find their changes... I'd have to help them dig
out the modified document from their Temp folder.

I was very happy when Thunderbird changed this so that email attachments
were opened in read only mode.

Tom Tom

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Hi :)
Now the confusion is that MS Outlook does allow this behaviour so people assume that's the way it should be done.  Even though they lose files they still grumble about the idea of having to download to a known location.  Something that did catch their attention was the threading.  MS Outlook just can't manage it.

________________________________
On 2013-09-29 12:46 AM, Dave Liesse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is what I was going to suggest, as well.  Any document I get via
> email is read-only, regardless of its source software (I use Thunderbird
> as my client).

It wasn't always - less recent version of Thunderbird would open
attachemnts in read/write mode, and this was a major source of confusion
for our users - they would open a document, make changes, just click
'save', then couldn't find their changes... I'd have to help them dig
out the modified document from their Temp folder.

I was very happy when Thunderbird changed this so that email attachments
were opened in read only mode.

Michael Hartigan Michael Hartigan

Re: downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

saving a copy, under file, worked to create a writable version, exact
fascimile (unlike cutting and pasting).

Thank you all for your help

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> Now the confusion is that MS Outlook does allow this behaviour so people
> assume that's the way it should be done.  Even though they lose files they
> still grumble about the idea of having to download to a known location.
>  Something that did catch their attention was the threading.  MS Outlook
> just can't manage it.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> ________________________________

Tom Tom

[Solved] Re: [libreoffice-users] downloaded .doc file will only open as read-only

Hi :)
Congrats :)) Nicely done :)

Also thanks for letting us know you fixed it.  There seemed to be some sort of password issue somewhere along the way but hopefully you managed to dodge that using this method.
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

nabbler nabbler

On 28/09/2013, Michael Hartigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.

Sometimes such documents contain forms that are read-only; content can
be added but the form cannot be edited. If it is required to edit the
form (e.g. a table is mis-aligned), below are some example actions.

Save the document to the local disk
In the command terminal

        libreoffice -invisible -convert-to fodt m$documentname.doc

Use a text editor to open the fodt file (m$documentname.fodt), search
for the element 'ProtectForm' and change the attribute 'type' from
"true" to "false". Save the file

In the command terminal
        libreoffice -invisible -convert-to odt m$documentname.fodt

The last command is optional; converting to odt will be recognised by
non-LO software such as m$ word, otherwise use LO to export the
document to PDF if necessary.