edit autocorrection options

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

edit autocorrection options

Good afternoon
I am frequently working on patent specifications, in which there
references to all those numbers and symbols
in the accompanying figures.
This also often includes something like "(c)".

LibreOffice insists on converting this into the copyright symbol.
I tried Tools -> Autocorrect Options -> Exceptions (words with two
capitals) and added this (c).
However Writer apparently does not recognize / remember this setting.

The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately after the (c) input
reverts the autocorrection
and adds it to the list of exception.
Yet, Writer does NOT remember this.

Is there a way to make this exception "permanent" (until a time when I
choose to change the setting)?

Thank you.
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: edit autocorrection options

At 12:26 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>I am frequently working on patent
>specifications, in which there references to all
>those numbers and symbols in the accompanying
>figures. This also often includes something like
>"(c)". LibreOffice insists on converting this
>into the copyright symbol. I tried Tools ->
>Autocorrect Options -> Exceptions (words with
>two capitals) and added this (c). However Writer
>apparently does not recognize / remember this setting.

Er, I don't think (c) has two initial capitals.

>The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately
>after the (c) input reverts the autocorrection
>and adds it to the list of exception.

The first part - that Edit | Undo or Ctrl+Z
undoes the automatic correction - is right, but
I'm very surprised to hear any suggestion of
adding something to the list of exceptions.

>Yet, Writer does NOT remember this.

I think that is as intended.

>Is there a way to make this exception
>"permanent" (until a time when I choose to change the setting)?

o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
o Scroll down to and select the line showing the unwanted correction.
o Click Delete.
Voilà!

When you want to reinstate it:
o Select the copyright symbol in your text.
o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... |
Replace;  notice that the symbol is already in the With box.
o Type (C) in the Replace box.
o Click New.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: edit autocorrection options

The correction in the Replace table is ".*(C)" replaced with "©"

Meaning just an upper case (C) and not a lower case (c) will trigger the
replacement.

As noted simply delete the replacement stanza to remove the behavior.
Recreate it (or modify as needed) to restore.

On 2018/12/24 13:21, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 12:26 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately after the (c) input
> reverts the autocorrection and adds it to the list of exception.
>
> The first part - that Edit | Undo or Ctrl+Z undoes the automatic
> correction - is right, but I'm very surprised to hear any suggestion
> of adding something to the list of exceptions.

  Adding Exceptions to the AutoCorrect List

You can prevent AutoCorrect from correcting specific abbreviations or
words that have mixed capital letters and lowercase letters.

 1.

    Choose *Tools - AutoCorrect - AutoCorrect Options*, and then click
    the *Exceptions* tab.

 2.

    Do one of the following:

    Type the abbreviation followed by a period in the *Abbreviations (no
    subsequent capital) *box and click *New*.

    Type the word in the *Words with TWo INitial CApitals *box and click
    *New*.

Tip Icon

To quickly undo an AutoCorrect replacement, press Ctrl+Z. *This also
adds the word or abbreviation that you typed to the AutoCorrect
exceptions list.*

Here is the copy from the Help section. It says there, the Ctrl+Z action
adds something to the excecption list.

> o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
> o Scroll down to and select the line showing the unwanted correction.
> o Click Delete.
> Voilà!
The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list.
(only (R))
I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.
About the two initial caps: in the exception section I have only two
choices: abbreviations (with a period) or two initial caps.
Where else would I have put my request?

> When you want to reinstate it:
> o Select the copyright symbol in your text.
> o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace;  notice that the
> symbol is already in the With box.
> o Type (C) in the Replace box.
> o Click New.
I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that seems to be
working.
Although this seems to be a very strange behavior to me.

Thank you!
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 15:55 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>Tip Icon
>To quickly undo an AutoCorrect replacement, press Ctrl+Z. *This also
>adds the word or abbreviation that you typed to the AutoCorrect
>exceptions list.*

As I said, I'm surprised. There is no mention of this in the Writer
Guide. And you seem to have confirmed that you find it not to be true.

>The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list. (only
>(R)) I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.

As you will have seen, V Stuart Foote finds ".*(C)" there.

>I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that seems
>to be working.

Good-oh!

Brian Barker