edit autocorrection options

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

edit autocorrection options

Good afternoon
I am frequently working on patent specifications, in which there
references to all those numbers and symbols
in the accompanying figures.
This also often includes something like "(c)".

LibreOffice insists on converting this into the copyright symbol.
I tried Tools -> Autocorrect Options -> Exceptions (words with two
capitals) and added this (c).
However Writer apparently does not recognize / remember this setting.

The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately after the (c) input
reverts the autocorrection
and adds it to the list of exception.
Yet, Writer does NOT remember this.

Is there a way to make this exception "permanent" (until a time when I
choose to change the setting)?

Thank you.
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: edit autocorrection options

At 12:26 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>I am frequently working on patent
>specifications, in which there references to all
>those numbers and symbols in the accompanying
>figures. This also often includes something like
>"(c)". LibreOffice insists on converting this
>into the copyright symbol. I tried Tools ->
>Autocorrect Options -> Exceptions (words with
>two capitals) and added this (c). However Writer
>apparently does not recognize / remember this setting.

Er, I don't think (c) has two initial capitals.

>The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately
>after the (c) input reverts the autocorrection
>and adds it to the list of exception.

The first part - that Edit | Undo or Ctrl+Z
undoes the automatic correction - is right, but
I'm very surprised to hear any suggestion of
adding something to the list of exceptions.

>Yet, Writer does NOT remember this.

I think that is as intended.

>Is there a way to make this exception
>"permanent" (until a time when I choose to change the setting)?

o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
o Scroll down to and select the line showing the unwanted correction.
o Click Delete.
Voilà!

When you want to reinstate it:
o Select the copyright symbol in your text.
o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... |
Replace;  notice that the symbol is already in the With box.
o Type (C) in the Replace box.
o Click New.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: edit autocorrection options

The correction in the Replace table is ".*(C)" replaced with "©"

Meaning just an upper case (C) and not a lower case (c) will trigger the
replacement.

As noted simply delete the replacement stanza to remove the behavior.
Recreate it (or modify as needed) to restore.

On 2018/12/24 13:21, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 12:26 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> The help section says, typing Crtl+z immediately after the (c) input
> reverts the autocorrection and adds it to the list of exception.
>
> The first part - that Edit | Undo or Ctrl+Z undoes the automatic
> correction - is right, but I'm very surprised to hear any suggestion
> of adding something to the list of exceptions.

  Adding Exceptions to the AutoCorrect List

You can prevent AutoCorrect from correcting specific abbreviations or
words that have mixed capital letters and lowercase letters.

 1.

    Choose *Tools - AutoCorrect - AutoCorrect Options*, and then click
    the *Exceptions* tab.

 2.

    Do one of the following:

    Type the abbreviation followed by a period in the *Abbreviations (no
    subsequent capital) *box and click *New*.

    Type the word in the *Words with TWo INitial CApitals *box and click
    *New*.

Tip Icon

To quickly undo an AutoCorrect replacement, press Ctrl+Z. *This also
adds the word or abbreviation that you typed to the AutoCorrect
exceptions list.*

Here is the copy from the Help section. It says there, the Ctrl+Z action
adds something to the excecption list.

> o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace.
> o Scroll down to and select the line showing the unwanted correction.
> o Click Delete.
> Voilà!
The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list.
(only (R))
I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.
About the two initial caps: in the exception section I have only two
choices: abbreviations (with a period) or two initial caps.
Where else would I have put my request?

> When you want to reinstate it:
> o Select the copyright symbol in your text.
> o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace;  notice that the
> symbol is already in the With box.
> o Type (C) in the Replace box.
> o Click New.
I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that seems to be
working.
Although this seems to be a very strange behavior to me.

Thank you!
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 15:55 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>Tip Icon
>To quickly undo an AutoCorrect replacement, press Ctrl+Z. *This also
>adds the word or abbreviation that you typed to the AutoCorrect
>exceptions list.*

As I said, I'm surprised. There is no mention of this in the Writer
Guide. And you seem to have confirmed that you find it not to be true.

>The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list. (only
>(R)) I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.

As you will have seen, V Stuart Foote finds ".*(C)" there.

>I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that seems
>to be working.

Good-oh!

Brian Barker

On 2018/12/24 16:46, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 15:55 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>> The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list. (only
>> (R)) I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.
>
> As you will have seen, V Stuart Foote finds ".*(C)" there.
>
>> I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that seems to
>> be working.

Since I am struggling with the autocorrect options again ...
I remember that entering (c) once worked .. but not any more.
(c) IS listed under exceptions, but nevertheless it is ALWAYS converted
to the copyright symbol, regardless of what I do.

What I CAN do is: type "(c " followed by some other text and LATER add
the right-sided bracket.
But that is a rather inconvenient procedure.

Any way out of this?
Thank you.
Thomas

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: edit autocorrection options

Hi Thomas,

Le 14/03/2019 à 16:56, Thomas Blasejewicz a écrit :

> Since I am struggling with the autocorrect options again ...
> I remember that entering (c) once worked .. but not any more.
> (c) IS listed under exceptions, but nevertheless it is ALWAYS converted
> to the copyright symbol, regardless of what I do.
>
> What I CAN do is: type "(c " followed by some other text and LATER add
> the right-sided bracket.
> But that is a rather inconvenient procedure.
>
> Any way out of this?

Just type the "(c)" thing (the autocorrection occurs) then type Ctrl+Z
to cancel the last operation (ie, the autocorrection).

Best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 00:56 15/03/2019 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

>Since I am struggling with the autocorrect options again ...
>I remember that entering (c) once worked .. but not any more.
>(c) IS listed under exceptions, but nevertheless it is ALWAYS
>converted to the copyright symbol, regardless of what I do.
>
>What I CAN do is: type "(c " followed by some other text and LATER
>add the right-sided bracket.
>But that is a rather inconvenient procedure.
>
>Any way out of this?

I'm not sure why you are finding this problem, but an easier - more
convenient - workaround should be:
o Type "(c)".
o Type the next character, stimulating the automatic correction.
o Immediately use Crtrl+Z (or Alt+E, U; or Edit | Undo; or click the
Undo button in the Standard toolbar) to undo the automatic correction
but retain the typing.
o Continue typing.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Den fre 15 mars 2019 kl 02:35 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]>:

> On 2019/03/15 2:04, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Den tors 14 mars 2019 kl 16:57 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> >     On 2018/12/24 16:46, Brian Barker wrote:
> >     > At 15:55 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> >     >
> >     >> The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement list.
> >     (only
> >     >> (R)) I have looked at least twice. In all three languages I use.
> >     >
> >     > As you will have seen, V Stuart Foote finds ".*(C)" there.
> >     >
> >     >> I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now, that
> >     seems to
> >     >> be working.
> >     >
> >     Since I am struggling with the autocorrect options again ...
> >     I remember that entering (c) once worked .. but not any more.
> >     (c) IS listed under exceptions, but nevertheless it is ALWAYS
> >     converted
> >     to the copyright symbol, regardless of what I do.
> >
> >     What I CAN do is: type "(c " followed by some other text and LATER
> >     add
> >     the right-sided bracket.
> >     But that is a rather inconvenient procedure.
> >
> >     Any way out of this?

First of all, sorry for mailing you privately. This mailing lists doesn't
behave like any of the other lists I'm subscribed to, so I often forget to
hit ”reply to all”…

I'm not sure why you can't find your (c) entries, I find mine easily on my
system, and I know for sure I didn't add them myself (since I have the ©
character included in my own keyboard layout anyway – Shift+AltGr+c). Did
you notice that when you select your language, the first option is
something like ”all languages”? Maybe you can find it there?

Another thought is that maybe you use some other software such as AutoKey
or AutoHotKey that does approximately the same thing at a more global
level? If you don't know what those are, you are probably don't have them
installed, though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> > Probably, but if you can't find one, just define a new line in the
> > list that converts something (for instance ”ccc” or something else
> > that's easy to type fast) to (c).
> >
> > I guess you could also remove (c) entirely from the list.
> >
> > Also, I'm not sure why you have this problem; I don't. When I type (C)
> > it converts to ©, but (c) doesn't.
> >

> Thank you.
> * When I type (C) nothing happens, whereas (c) is converted to
> "copyright". Exact opposite behavior to the one in your computer. Is
> there a setting for this?
> * Adding a new item -> tried ccc -> nothing happens.
> * Deleting (c) -> I cannot find it in any list (for English, German and
> Japanese). There does not seem to be such an entry.
>      Or is there a trick to find it?
> * The Ctrl+z trick works, but I believe, there should be something more
> rational.
>
> This may be an unimportant matter, but it is nevertheless  very annoying.
> Thank you
> Thomas

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: edit autocorrection options

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 22:58:51 +0100
Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den fre 15 mars 2019 kl 02:35 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 2019/03/15 2:04, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > > Den tors 14 mars 2019 kl 16:57 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz
> > > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> > >
> > >     On 2018/12/24 16:46, Brian Barker wrote:
> > >     > At 15:55 24/12/2018 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> > >     >
> > >     >> The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement
> > >     >> list.
> > >     (only
> > >     >> (R)) I have looked at least twice. In all three languages
> > >     >> I use.
> > >     >
> > >     > As you will have seen, V Stuart Foote finds ".*(C)" there.
> > >     >
> > >     >> I just entered (c) under "Replace" AND "With". For now,
> > >     >> that
> > >     seems to
> > >     >> be working.
> > >     >
> > >     Since I am struggling with the autocorrect options again ...
> > >     I remember that entering (c) once worked .. but not any more.
> > >     (c) IS listed under exceptions, but nevertheless it is ALWAYS
> > >     converted
> > >     to the copyright symbol, regardless of what I do.
> > >
> > >     What I CAN do is: type "(c " followed by some other text and
> > > LATER add
> > >     the right-sided bracket.
> > >     But that is a rather inconvenient procedure.
> > >
> > >     Any way out of this?
> >

> First of all, sorry for mailing you privately. This mailing lists
> doesn't behave like any of the other lists I'm subscribed to, so I
> often forget to hit ”reply to all”…

On my mailer (claws) I just hit reply and it all works.

> I'm not sure why you can't find your (c) entries, I find mine easily
> on my system, and I know for sure I didn't add them myself (since I
> have the © character included in my own keyboard layout anyway –
> Shift+AltGr+c).

FWIW, on my keyboard it is AltGr-Shift-c. Order matters and
Shift-AltGr-c does not work.

On 2019/03/16 9:28, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >> The problem: there *** IS NO *** (c) in the replacement
Someone suggested the following and I would like to pass that idea on:

"Libre Office installs to an area on your system that isn't user
specific, but is available to all users.  What you describe seems like
the default autocorrect file is in that area, and has restricted access
to your user account, so  you can read it, but not change or save it."

So, I copied the "autocorr" folder from the user profile to a folder
where I keep all my LibreOffice staff.
"Added" the new location under Options->Paths and then selected the
newly added folder as the location.

Now I can change the contents and after newly adding the "(c)" (which I
still cannot find anywhere in the preexisting lists),
the thing WORKS!

Thank you!
I think, that was a brilliant idea.

Thomas

pietvo pietvo

Thomas Blasejewicz <[hidden email]> writes:

> Now I can change the contents and after newly adding the "(c)" (which I
> still cannot find anywhere in the preexisting lists),

Please note that the replacement lists are language specific, plus there is a list for [ALL].
So it might be that the replacement for (c) is in the English list, but your default language is not English.

--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://piet.vanoostrum.org/

Den lör 16 mars 2019 kl 01:29 skrev Dave Howorth <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 22:58:51 +0100
> Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Den fre 15 mars 2019 kl 02:35 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz
> > <[hidden email]>:

> > First of all, sorry for mailing you privately. This mailing lists
> > doesn't behave like any of the other lists I'm subscribed to, so I
> > often forget to hit ”reply to all”…
>
> On my mailer (claws) I just hit reply and it all works.

I don't use a ”mailer” (whatever that is), I use Gmail's web interface.

> > I'm not sure why you can't find your (c) entries, I find mine easily
> > on my system, and I know for sure I didn't add them myself (since I
> > have the © character included in my own keyboard layout anyway –
> > Shift+AltGr+c).
>
> FWIW, on my keyboard it is AltGr-Shift-c. Order matters and
> Shift-AltGr-c does not work.

What do you mean ”order matters”? You hit Ctrl and AltGr at the same time
and keep them down while pressing c, don't you?
I'll it right now:
First pressing Shift, keeping it down, then also pressing AltGr and keeping
both down while pressing c: ©
Now, pressing AltGr, keeping it down, then also pressing Shift and keeping
both down while pressing c: ©
Doesn't matter on my computer anyway.
This was tested with my own keyboard layout (Swedish ̣– Johnny Rosenberg).
Now I'll test it with the standard Swedish layout:
Shift Shift+AltGr Shift+AltGr+c: ©
AltGr AltGr+Shift AltGr+Shift+c: ©
Works perfectly (on my computer, operating system=Manjaro Linux, desktop
environment=XFCE).
(By the way, the ”+” sign means that the key to the left and the key to the
right of it are pressed simultaneously, I don't have a clue what the ”-”
sign would mean in this case. A space usually means ”release all keys”,
like in ”ComposeKey o c”, but in the case above it means nothing)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> > Did you notice that when you select your language,
> > the first option is something like ”all languages”? Maybe you can
> > find it there?
> >
> > Another thought is that maybe you use some other software such as
> > AutoKey or AutoHotKey that does approximately the same thing at a
> > more global level? If you don't know what those are, you are probably
> > don't have them installed, though.
> >

> > Kind regards
> >
> > Johnny Rosenberg

> > > Thank you.
> > > * When I type (C) nothing happens, whereas (c) is converted to
> > > "copyright". Exact opposite behavior to the one in your computer. Is
> > > there a setting for this?
> > > * Adding a new item -> tried ccc -> nothing happens.
> > > * Deleting (c) -> I cannot find it in any list (for English, German
> > > and Japanese). There does not seem to be such an entry.
> > >      Or is there a trick to find it?
> > > * The Ctrl+z trick works, but I believe, there should be something
> > > more rational.
> > >
> > > This may be an unimportant matter, but it is nevertheless  very
> > > annoying. Thank you
> > > Thomas

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: edit autocorrection options

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 19:40:52 +0100
Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > First of all, sorry for mailing you privately. This mailing lists
> > > doesn't behave like any of the other lists I'm subscribed to, so I
> > > often forget to hit ”reply to all”…
> >
> > On my mailer (claws) I just hit reply and it all works.
>
> I don't use a ”mailer” (whatever that is), I use Gmail's web
> interface.

Well, what I am saying then is that it is gmail's interface that is
wrong, not the mailing list. My MUA handles it correctly.

> > > I'm not sure why you can't find your (c) entries, I find mine
> > > easily on my system, and I know for sure I didn't add them myself
> > > (since I have the © character included in my own keyboard layout
> > > anyway – Shift+AltGr+c).
> >
> > FWIW, on my keyboard it is AltGr-Shift-c. Order matters and
> > Shift-AltGr-c does not work.
>
> What do you mean ”order matters”? You hit Ctrl and AltGr at the same
> time and keep them down while pressing c, don't you?

No I don't because order matters.

> I'll it right now:
> First pressing Shift, keeping it down, then also pressing AltGr and
> keeping both down while pressing c: ©

Nope, no character results.

> Now, pressing AltGr, keeping it down, then also pressing Shift and
> keeping both down while pressing c: ©

©  QED

> Doesn't matter on my computer anyway.

Does matter on mine. And on every other computer I remember using.

So I believe it was worth pointing out to the OP in case his system
behaves like mine.

> This was tested with my own keyboard layout (Swedish ̣– Johnny
> Rosenberg). Now I'll test it with the standard Swedish layout:
> Shift Shift+AltGr Shift+AltGr+c: ©
> AltGr AltGr+Shift AltGr+Shift+c: ©
> Works perfectly (on my computer, operating system=Manjaro Linux,
> desktop environment=XFCE).

openSUSE Leap 15.0 with UK keyboard and XFCE.

> Kind regards

Equally kind regards :)
Dave

Den sön 17 mars 2019 kl 00:30 skrev Dave Howorth <[hidden email]>:

> > > On my mailer (claws) I just hit reply and it all works.
> >
> > I don't use a ”mailer” (whatever that is), I use Gmail's web
> > interface.
>
> Well, what I am saying then is that it is gmail's interface that is
> wrong, not the mailing list. My MUA handles it correctly.
>
> Yes, that's probably correct. My point wasn't that Gmail's interface was
correct, I only explained why I sometimes accidentally reply to one person
only and not to the list:
1. When hitting Reply in Gmail's web interface, the reply is addressed to
the individual who wrote the reply to which I wished to reply to.
2. Since this works with all, or almost all of the mailing lists that I'm
subscribed to, this has became a habit of mine, and habits are hard to
overcome.

I was only explaining why I do this wrong sometimes, not saying that this
is right and that is wrong.

About the order of keys, I can't reproduce it on my computer, so I guess I
just have to believe you. :P I find it very strange, though. :)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg