extension site

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

extension site

Hi,

Again I was confronted with the weird red warning on top of one of my
extension. I know there is a way to get rid of that, but .. ?

How will that be in the new extension site?

ciao - Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: extension site

Hi,

Am 12.08.2016 um 23:10 schrieb Cor Nouws:
> Hi,
>
> Again I was confronted with the weird red warning on top of one of my
> extension. I know there is a way to get rid of that, but .. ?

yes, it is!
E.g. you could test your extension with the two latest LibreOffice main
versions from last year, add this information to the extension release,
republish the release and the user of your extension are happy, because
they know that this release could be used with the current versions of
LIbreOffice.

> How will that be in the new extension site?

I think that I already provided this information many times: no.
But in my opinion we need a frequent cleanup of the new website. Maybe
all extensions that aren't tested with the latest four main releases
should be hidden or (much better) removed from the site.

Kind regards,
Andreas

--
## Infrastructure Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: extension site

Hello Andreas,

Le 13 août 2016 11:10:43 GMT+02:00, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>Am 12.08.2016 um 23:10 schrieb Cor Nouws:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Again I was confronted with the weird red warning on top of one of my
>> extension. I know there is a way to get rid of that, but .. ?
>
>yes, it is!
>E.g. you could test your extension with the two latest LibreOffice main
>versions from last year, add this information to the extension release,
>republish the release and the user of your extension are happy, because
>they know that this release could be used with the current versions of
>LIbreOffice.
>

>> How will that be in the new extension site?
>
>I think that I already provided this information many times: no.
>But in my opinion we need a frequent cleanup of the new website. Maybe
>all extensions that aren't tested with the latest four main releases
>should be hidden or (much better) >removed from the site.

This prompts me another question : when do you think the extension and template website could be ready so that a designer can work on its look

Thanks,

Charles.

>Kind regards,
>Andreas
>
>--
>## Infrastructure Developer LibreOffice
>## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows
>## http://LibreOffice.org
>## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org)
>## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de
>

>--
>deleted

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: extension site

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Mantke wrote on 13-08-16 11:10:

> Am 12.08.2016 um 23:10 schrieb Cor Nouws:

>> Again I was confronted with the weird red warning on top of one of my
>> extension. I know there is a way to get rid of that, but .. ?
>
> yes, it is!
> E.g. you could test your extension with the two latest LibreOffice main
> versions from last year, add this information to the extension release,

So for my own record (finding how to do this is always hard)

1. in the left colum, choose 'releases'
2. in the middle column, pick the desired one
3. in the green function/tool bar choose Edit
   change version in the list more at the bottom
4. in the green function/tool bar choose the menu from State: Finale
release and choose Re-release.

> republish the release and the user of your extension are happy, because
> they know that this release could be used with the current versions of
> LIbreOffice.
>

>> How will that be in the new extension site?
>
> I think that I already provided this information many times: no.
> But in my opinion we need a frequent cleanup of the new website. Maybe
> all extensions that aren't tested with the latest four main releases
> should be hidden or (much better) removed from the site.

I'm not sure if that is needed. Speeking for myself: more then enough to
do and there is no harm if the extension is there without explicit
testing on newer versions.
A single action/button "update release for new LibreOffice version"
would make it easier to do however.

Ciao - Cor

Am 13.08.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Cor Nouws:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Mantke wrote on 13-08-16 11:10:
(...)

>> I think that I already provided this information many times: no.
>> But in my opinion we need a frequent cleanup of the new website. Maybe
>> all extensions that aren't tested with the latest four main releases
>> should be hidden or (much better) removed from the site.
> I'm not sure if that is needed. Speeking for myself: more then enough to
> do and there is no harm if the extension is there without explicit

the same here.

> testing on newer versions.

If they are not tested on newer LibreOffice versions the user is:
a) will be left on his own (no support from the extension developer and
the project)
b) will never find the extension, if he search for extensions that are
compatible with one of the current LibreOffice versions.

> A single action/button "update release for new LibreOffice version"
> would make it easier to do however.
Sorry if that sounds a bit harsch:
the code of the current environment and also the one of the upcomming is
open source under the GPL.
The code of the used add-ons is hosted on github.com and public.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Le 13 août 2016 17:57:15 GMT+02:00, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Am 13.08.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Cor Nouws:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Andreas Mantke wrote on 13-08-16 11:10:
>(...)
>>>
>>> I think that I already provided this information many times: no.
>>> But in my opinion we need a frequent cleanup of the new website.
>Maybe
>>> all extensions that aren't tested with the latest four main releases
>>> should be hidden or (much better) removed from the site.
>> I'm not sure if that is needed. Speeking for myself: more then enough
>> do and there is no harm if the extension is there without explicit
>
>the same here.
>
>> testing on newer versions.
>
>If they are not tested on newer LibreOffice versions the user is:
>a) will be left on his own (no support from the extension developer and
>the project)
>b) will never find the extension, if he search for extensions that are
>compatible with one of the current LibreOffice versions.
>
>> A single action/button "update release for new LibreOffice version"
>> would make it easier to do however.
>Sorry if that sounds a bit harsch:
>the code of the current environment and also the one of the upcomming
>is
>open source under the GPL.
>The code of the used add-ons is hosted on github.com and public.

 I can understand your frustration here (as a former person in charge of the website I received plenty of late minute feedback despite having requested those months before its completion) however the status of the new templates & extension website is a bit unclear to me. The code may be on github but it is not deployed here on our own infrastructure . You asked for feedback multiple times and I understand you are still waiting for an actual visual template (aka a skin or perhaps more). Do you have a roadmap for that? Should we see for a tender to have a designer adapt the new platform to a nice visual experience? Clearly the current one is lagging and is outdated in its design as well as in its delivery mechanism and we cannot wait a few more years.

Thank you again for your efforts,

Charles.

>Kind regards,
>Andreas
>
>--
>## Infrastructure Developer LibreOffice
>## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows
>## http://LibreOffice.org
>## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org)
>## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de
>

>--
>deleted

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: extension site

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Mantke wrote on 13-08-16 17:57:
> Am 13.08.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Cor Nouws:

>> A single action/button "update release for new LibreOffice version"
>> would make it easier to do however.
> Sorry if that sounds a bit harsch:
> the code of the current environment and also the one of the upcomming is
> open source under the GPL.
> The code of the used add-ons is hosted on github.com and public.

I don't take offense at that comment of course in a open source project.
We know there have been numerous attempts and efforts to change the
current situation in which you are lacking time to effectively handle
the work load and implement the improvements timely. We all know for
years they are needed. Attempts including funds, offerings and probably
numerous things that happened out of sight for me. Without effect until now.
In this light, I think your comment is rather unfortunate.

Cheers - Cor

Am 13.08.2016 um 20:13 schrieb Charles-H. Schulz:
> Hello Andreas,
> (...)
>  I can understand your frustration here (as a former person in charge of the website I received plenty of late minute feedback despite having requested those months before its completion) however the status of the new templates & extension website is a bit unclear to me. The code may be on github but it is not deployed here on our own infrastructure . (...)

http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9090/liboexttempsite

Kind regards,
Andreas

Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> @ 2016-08-14 16:19 CEST:

> Am 13.08.2016 um 20:13 schrieb Charles-H. Schulz:
>> Hello Andreas,
>> (...)
>>  I can understand your frustration here (as a former person in charge of the website I received plenty of late minute feedback despite having requested those months before its completion) however the status of the new templates & extension website is a bit unclear to me. The code may be on github but it is not deployed here on our own infrastructure . (...)
>
> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9090/liboexttempsite

I know about this instance, that's the one that is open for testing and
feedback. But my question is WHEN will the code ready on this instance, PLUS
some design work, land on this site: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/

Thank you,

Charles.

> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> --
> ## Infrastructure Developer LibreOffice
> ## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows
> ## http://LibreOffice.org
> ## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org)
> ## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

--
Charles-H. Schulz Co-founder, The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: extension site

to give you a status update on where we stand:

We have considered various options wrt. the extensions and templates
website. Maintenance can mostly only be done by Andreas right now, and
there were several issues that need fixing behind the scenes and in the
frontend.

Options to solve this have been either completely redoing that
particular website in a different CMS (which bears the callenge of
transferring all data and users) or improving the Plone instance (which
requires the new sysadmin we're currently seeking to get trained if needed).

Andreas has been working on improving the website, and we have been in
close touch with a Plone developer, who will address the shortcomings,
including cryptical error messages and manual account creation. I talked
to him myself to show the critical issues from my POV, including sharing
the knowledge how to maintain the instance, as getting this addressed is
critical to me for moving forward with Plone.

The offer looked very competitive and covered the things required from
both Andreas' and my POV, and we're basically waiting for the contract
to sign.

My hope is that we once and for all address all the issues with the
website in terms of technology and maintenance. Design-work, however,
was *not* included if I am not mistaken.

Andreas, when did you poke him the last time? I really would like to get
the contract signed so we can proceed. Can you maybe shoot him another
e-mail? Otherwise I try to ring him up directly.

Thanks,
Florian

Am 16. August 2016 14:24:23 MESZ, schrieb Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>:

>Hello,
>
>to give you a status update on where we stand:
>
>We have considered various options wrt. the extensions and templates
>website. Maintenance can mostly only be done by Andreas right now, and
>there were several issues that need fixing behind the scenes and in the
>
>frontend.
>
>Options to solve this have been either completely redoing that
>particular website in a different CMS (which bears the callenge of
>transferring all data and users) or improving the Plone instance (which
>
>requires the new sysadmin we're currently seeking to get trained if
>needed).
>
>Andreas has been working on improving the website, and we have been in
>close touch with a Plone developer, who will address the shortcomings,
>including cryptical error messages and manual account creation. I
>talked
>to him myself to show the critical issues from my POV, including
>sharing
>the knowledge how to maintain the instance, as getting this addressed
>is
>critical to me for moving forward with Plone.
>
>The offer looked very competitive and covered the things required from
>both Andreas' and my POV, and we're basically waiting for the contract
>to sign.
>
>My hope is that we once and for all address all the issues with the
>website in terms of technology and maintenance. Design-work, however,
>was *not* included if I am not mistaken.

the offer includes also design-work in the basis of the used twitter-bootstrap derivate.

>Andreas, when did you poke him the last time? I really would like to
>get
>the contract signed so we can proceed. Can you maybe shoot him another
>e-mail? Otherwise I try to ring him up directly.

I'll most likely bump into him Düring FrOSCon next weekend.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Andreas Mantke wrote on 2016-08-16 at 19:21:

> the offer includes also design-work in the basis of the used twitter-bootstrap derivate.

so the look will be similar to what is shown at the test VM, that's correct?

> I'll most likely bump into him Düring FrOSCon next weekend.

Ok, if not let me know, then I ring him up so we get the contract signed.

Thanks,
Florian

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: extension site

I have no idea who wrote what, so I'm not attributing anything to anybody:

> Maybe all extensions that aren't tested

Who is going to do the testing?

It takes me at least 15 minutes to test an extension, if I know how it
is supposed to work, and have the appropriate locale installed.

If I don't know how the functionality provided by the extension is
supposed to work, testing can take hours.

A successful install of an extension does not mean that it works as
advertised.

>with the latest four main releases should be hidden

Whilst not quite as true today, as it has been in the past, extensions
for LibreOffice do work in EuroOffice, Apache OpenOffice, and NeoOffice.
As such, an extension that doesn't work with LibO 5.x might still be
fully functional for EU or AOo.

Furthermore, there are use cases where the only viable solution is an
older of LibreOffice. (Typically, this has been when required
functionality has been removed from LibO.)

Thus, rather than hide the extension, have an "Obsolete" selection,
which displays only extensions that are not functional for the last four
LibO releases.

> or (much better) removed from the site.

Some of those extensions are distributed under an open source license.
As such, it is possible for someone other than original developer to
update them --- if they know about them.

> If they are not tested on newer LibreOffice versions the user is:
> a) will be left on his own (no support from the extension developer and the project)

I won't say that support from developers is never available, but
"Clipart gallery of danger signs"
(http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/gallery-of-danger-signs)
is typical, in that no information about the developer is available to
those who are not logged in. (I'd log in, but the site claims my login
name doesn't exist.)

When information about a developer is available, it is as likely as not
to be akin the screenshot provided by the developer of CalcLink:
http://www.lauschkeconsulting.com/walkthrough.html.

> b) will never find the extension, if he search for extensions that are
 compatible with one of the current LibreOffice versions.

For example, KMLOOo.
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/kmlooo.

jonathon

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: extension site

Hello Florian, Andreas,

Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]> @ 2016-08-17 11:32 CEST:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Mantke wrote on 2016-08-16 at 19:21:
>
>> the offer includes also design-work in the basis of the used twitter-bootstrap derivate.
>
> so the look will be similar to what is shown at the test VM, that's correct?

Maybe Andreas knows more about this however, it would be really good to
ensure the look is similar or at least coherent with the one of
http://www.libreoffice.org . I may be wrong however, but Bootstrap was used
as part of the design of the main website.

If it were not the case Florian, could we fund such a design work?

Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2016-08-17 at 22:50:

> Maybe Andreas knows more about this however, it would be really good to
> ensure the look is similar or at least coherent with the one of
> http://www.libreoffice.org . I may be wrong however, but Bootstrap was used
> as part of the design of the main website.

Andreas, can you share the link to the recent version again? I tried to
find it quickly, but I only reached older pages. :-)

> If it were not the case Florian, could we fund such a design work?

If there's a need, we to find budget somewhere. The infra budget has no
real reserves IIRC, but in general I wouldn't object, of course. But
let's first see what we have and if there is a need.

Florian

Dennis Roczek Dennis Roczek

Re: extension site

Hi Florian,

On 18.08.2016 10:32, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2016-08-17 at 22:50:
>
>> Maybe Andreas knows more about this however, it would be really good to
>> ensure the look is similar or at least coherent with the one of
>> http://www.libreoffice.org . I may be wrong however, but Bootstrap was
>> used
>> as part of the design of the main website.
>
> Andreas, can you share the link to the recent version again? I tried to
> find it quickly, but I only reached older pages. :-)

Copy from another email:
You could view a test site with the current development status (without
a specific theme)  at
http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExtText/en
and with a very alpha theme at
http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExt-Theming/en

>> If it were not the case Florian, could we fund such a design work?
>
> If there's a need, we to find budget somewhere. The infra budget has no
> real reserves IIRC, but in general I wouldn't object, of course. But
> let's first see what we have and if there is a need.
>
> Florian

Dennis

Dennis Roczek wrote on 2016-08-18 at 10:42:
> Copy from another email:
> You could view a test site with the current development status (without
> a specific theme)  at
> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExtText/en
> and with a very alpha theme at
> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExt-Theming/en

seems that is broken at the moment - it looked much "greener" when I
tested out. ;-) I notified Andreas, probably it's related to some
migration path.

After the new site is migrated, there is an option to have a designer
working on it should there be a need. Let's see when it is live.

Florian

Am 22.08.2016 um 09:42 schrieb Florian Effenberger:

> Hi,
>
> Dennis Roczek wrote on 2016-08-18 at 10:42:
>> Copy from another email:
>> You could view a test site with the current development status (without
>> a specific theme)  at
>> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExtText/en
>> and with a very alpha theme at
>> http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9096/LibOExt-Theming/en
>
> seems that is broken at the moment - it looked much "greener" when I
> tested out. ;-) I notified Andreas, probably it's related to some
> migration path.
>
> After the new site is migrated, there is an option to have a designer
> working on it should there be a need. Let's see when it is live.

this is the latest instance with theming:
http://vm141.documentfoundation.org:9090/liboexttempsite

I have especially done the work for the home yet. But there is space for
improvements, especially for the subdirectories (templates and extensions).

Kind regards,
Andreas