font formats

John Sweeney John Sweeney

font formats

I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style instruction,
instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font" or
something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?

Pieter van Oostrum Pieter van Oostrum

Re: font formats

John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style instruction,
> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font" or
> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?

Is this the Default paragraph style, or your own style?
If it is your own style, did you select the text and apply this paragraph style to all the text? Otherwise the paragraph will be in the default style.
You apply a style to the selection by double clicking on the style in the Styles and Formatting side pane or in the Style selector.
Also your own style will have to specify itself for Next Style, otherwise the next paragraph will again be the default style.
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

Re: font formats

On 10/01/2020 05:39, John Sweeney wrote:
> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style instruction,
> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font" or
> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?

The only occasion I remember having this problem in a persistent manner was with a file originally created in MS Word.

If I remember correctly, I worked around by copying the text from the original and pasting into a new Writer document based on one of my own templates. I pasted using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V to paste unformatted text.

My document wasn't very lengthy.

Philip

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: font formats

On 1/9/20 11:39 PM, John Sweeney wrote:
> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style instruction,
> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font" or
> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?

Your problem is obviously not direct formatting at all: it is with the
style that has been applied to this paragraph. All you have to do is to
change the font this style uses to get the font that you want.

F11 will open the Styles dialog on the right side of LIbreOffice. Make
sure that paragraph styles is selected (far left icon at the top).
Select the offending paragraph. The style that controls the attributes
of this paragraph is highlighted. Right click the style and select
"Modify..." Click the Font tab and then select the font you want to use
from the list. Close this dialog.

I have been rather detailed because I am not sure you know how to change
the properties of a style. I would also recommend (if you have not done
so already) that you download the Styles chapter in the Getting Started
Guide. The Writer Guide has one or two chapters on styles as well. It
would be a good resource.

Dan

John Sweeney John Sweeney

Re: font formats

Thanks for helping. I am not a new user. I have been using Linux since 1994 or so and libreOffice or is predecessor for 15 years or so. I am very familiar with paragraph styles. This problem continues to beat me.

On January 10, 2020 3:32:58 PM UTC, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 1/9/20 11:39 PM, John Sweeney wrote:
>> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
>> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
>instruction,
>> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font"
>or
>> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
>> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>
>Your problem is obviously not direct formatting at all: it is with the
>style that has been applied to this paragraph. All you have to do is to
>
>change the font this style uses to get the font that you want.
>
>F11 will open the Styles dialog on the right side of LIbreOffice. Make
>sure that paragraph styles is selected (far left icon at the top).
>Select the offending paragraph. The style that controls the attributes
>of this paragraph is highlighted. Right click the style and select
>"Modify..." Click the Font tab and then select the font you want to use
>
>from the list. Close this dialog.
>
>I have been rather detailed because I am not sure you know how to
>change
>the properties of a style. I would also recommend (if you have not done
>
>so already) that you download the Styles chapter in the Getting Started
>
>Guide. The Writer Guide has one or two chapters on styles as well. It
>would be a good resource.
>
>Dan

John Sweeney John Sweeney

Re: font formats

I am pretty sure that I started this document from one of my own libre Office templates. But it's a good tip. I'll give it a try. Thanks

On January 10, 2020 1:25:08 PM UTC, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 10/01/2020 05:39, John Sweeney wrote:
>> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
>> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
>instruction,
>> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font"
>or
>> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
>> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>
>The only occasion I remember having this problem in a persistent manner
>was with a file originally created in MS Word.
>
>If I remember correctly, I worked around by copying the text from the
>original and pasting into a new Writer document based on one of my own
>templates. I pasted using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V to paste unformatted text.
>
>My document wasn't very lengthy.
>
>Philip

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: font formats

Is it something that you could share? Perhaps another pair of eyes would
help. I would personally like to try; send me a copy directly if you want.

Dan

On 1/11/20 6:28 AM, John Sweeney wrote:

> Thanks for helping. I am not a new user. I have been using Linux since
> 1994 or so and libreOffice or is predecessor for 15 years or so. I am
> very familiar with paragraph styles. This problem continues to beat me.
>
> On January 10, 2020 3:32:58 PM UTC, Dan Lewis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     On 1/9/20 11:39 PM, John Sweeney wrote:
>
>         I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of
>         problems getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph
>         style instruction, instead it tends to default to a font
>         called "Default paragraph font" or something else and no
>         amount of removal of direct formatting or using ctrl-m helps.
>         Anyone got any ideas?
>

>     Your problem is obviously not direct formatting at all: it is with the
>     style that has been applied to this paragraph. All you have to do is to
>     change the font this style uses to get the font that you want.
>
>     F11 will open the Styles dialog on the right side of LIbreOffice. Make
>     sure that paragraph styles is selected (far left icon at the top).
>     Select the offending paragraph. The style that controls the attributes
>     of this paragraph is highlighted. Right click the style and select
>     "Modify..." Click the Font tab and then select the font you want to use
>     from the list. Close this dialog.
>
>     I have been rather detailed because I am not sure you know how to change
>     the properties of a style. I would also recommend (if you have not done
>     so already) that you download the Styles chapter in the Getting Started
>     Guide. The Writer Guide has one or two chapters on styles as well. It
>     would be a good resource.
>
>     Dan

John Sweeney John Sweeney

Re: font formats

I have selected all the text in the paragraph, tried ctrl-m, tried reapplying the paragraph style, opening the paragraph style and changing the font and then apply, none of these things affect the font.

On January 10, 2020 11:29:56 AM UTC, Pieter van Oostrum <[hidden email]> wrote:

>John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
>> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
>instruction,
>> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font"
>or
>> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
>> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>
>Is this the Default paragraph style, or your own style?
>If it is your own style, did you select the text and apply this
>paragraph style to all the text? Otherwise the paragraph will be in the
>default style.
>You apply a style to the selection by double clicking on the style in
>the Styles and Formatting side pane or in the Style selector.
>Also your own style will have to specify itself for Next Style,
>otherwise the next paragraph will again be the default style.
>--
>Pieter van Oostrum
>www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
>PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Pieter van Oostrum Pieter van Oostrum

Re: font formats

John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am pretty sure that I started this document from one of my own libre
> Office templates. But it's a good tip. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Could it be a problem in the template? Would you mind sharing the template?
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: font formats

Two things come to mind when I reread your original email: "I am using
6.3, vanilla ubuntu". Is the default font the same one as the default
font for the Ubuntu system? What happens if you change the Ubuntu
default to the font you want to use? What happens if you download
LibreOffice 6.3 from the LibreOffice web site. Will you still have this
problem?

Dan

On 1/11/20 6:34 AM, John Sweeney wrote:

> I have selected all the text in the paragraph, tried ctrl-m, tried reapplying the paragraph style, opening the paragraph style and changing the font and then apply, none of these things affect the font.
>

> On January 10, 2020 11:29:56 AM UTC, Pieter van Oostrum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of problems
>>> getting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
>> instruction,
>>> instead it tends to default to a font called "Default paragraph font"
>> or
>>> something else and no amount of removal of direct formatting or using
>>> ctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>> Is this the Default paragraph style, or your own style?
>> If it is your own style, did you select the text and apply this
>> paragraph style to all the text? Otherwise the paragraph will be in the
>> default style.
>> You apply a style to the selection by double clicking on the style in
>> the Styles and Formatting side pane or in the Style selector.
>> Also your own style will have to specify itself for Next Style,
>> otherwise the next paragraph will again be the default style.
>> --
>> Pieter van Oostrum
>> www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
>> PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Pieter van Oostrum Pieter van Oostrum

Re: font formats

John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am pretty sure that I started this document from one of my own libre
> Office templates. But it's a good tip. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Could it be a problem in the template? Would you mind sharing the template?
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: font formats

Just a thought: are the fonts that are defined in the styles installed?
It sounds a lot like font substitution playing tricks on you. This
would explain how you try to apply a style and nothing happens.
I hope this helps.
Rémy.Le vendredi 10 janvier 2020 à 12:29 +0100, Pieter van Oostrum a
écrit :

> John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of
> > problemsgetting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
> > instruction,instead it tends to default to a font called "Default
> > paragraph font" orsomething else and no amount of removal of direct
> > formatting or usingctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Is this the Default paragraph style, or your own style?If it is your
> own style, did you select the text and apply this paragraph style to
> all the text? Otherwise the paragraph will be in the default
> style.You apply a style to the selection by double clicking on the
> style in the Styles and Formatting side pane or in the Style
> selector.Also your own style will have to specify itself for Next
> Style, otherwise the next paragraph will again be the default style.-
> - Pieter van Oostrumwww: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
> PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

John Sweeney John Sweeney

Re: font formats

Thanks for the idea. Yes the fonts are installed, liberation sans, a very vanilla font.
Cheers, John

On January 12, 2020 11:26:25 PM UTC, Remy Gauthier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>Just a thought: are the fonts that are defined in the styles installed?
>It sounds a lot like font substitution playing tricks on you. This
>would explain how you try to apply a style and nothing happens.
>I hope this helps.
>Rémy.Le vendredi 10 janvier 2020 à 12:29 +0100, Pieter van Oostrum a
>écrit :
>> John Sweeney <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > I am using 6.3, vanilla ubuntu. I continue to have a lot of
>> > problemsgetting the font of a paragraph to obey the paragraph style
>> > instruction,instead it tends to default to a font called "Default
>> > paragraph font" orsomething else and no amount of removal of direct
>> > formatting or usingctrl-m helps. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> Is this the Default paragraph style, or your own style?If it is your
>> own style, did you select the text and apply this paragraph style to
>> all the text? Otherwise the paragraph will be in the default
>> style.You apply a style to the selection by double clicking on the
>> style in the Styles and Formatting side pane or in the Style
>> selector.Also your own style will have to specify itself for Next
>> Style, otherwise the next paragraph will again be the default style.-
>> - Pieter van Oostrumwww: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
>> PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

John Sweeney John Sweeney

Re: font formats

I am pursuing the suggestions made.... particularly checking the record
of all formatting applications.

Will be back to you soon.  Thanks for the suggestions.

John