footnotes numbering problem

Wojciech Górnaś Wojciech Górnaś

footnotes numbering problem

Hi,
In this example document, each footnote number was inserted manually in
LibreOffice Writer. Now, is there a way to convert them all to
automatically, sequentially numbered footnotes? I tried to do this in MS
Word (2007), but to no avail. For some reason Word doesn't even
recognize the footnote references.

Thank you in advance
Wojciech

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: footnotes numbering problem

       Did you mean to insert a URL to show an example?;
          or did you attach an example? (if so, attachments are not allowed
so was deleted before arriving on this list)

       So without seeing the example, I'm making a couple assumptions -
which may or may not apply  ;-)

       (1) Did you insert these footnotes manually as you did the regular
text?;
              (if so, I have no clue as to why all the text would not
convert to MsFt's product)
        or (2) did you set the footnotes through LO's set-up?;
              (if so, I suspect that this version of MsFt is again denying
compatibility with LO)   :-(
       (3) when you refer to 'sequentially numbered footnotes' does that
mean your footnotes were on a separate page(s) rather than at the bottom of
each' respective page?
          (if a separate page, then I don't have a clue as to why MsFt
wouldn't handle this page as any other;
              if on separate, respective pages, then only MsFt might know
why they do not wish to be compatible with others)

From: Wojciech Górnaś <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] footnotes numbering problem
To: [hidden email]

Hi,
In this example document, each footnote number was inserted manually in
LibreOffice Writer. Now, is there a way to convert them all to
automatically, sequentially numbered footnotes? I tried to do this in MS
Word (2007), but to no avail. For some reason Word doesn't even recognize
the footnote references.

Thank you in advance
Wojciech

This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Wojciech Górnaś Wojciech Górnaś

Re: footnotes numbering problem

>         Did you mean to insert a URL to show an example?;
>            or did you attach an example? (if so, attachments are not allowed
> so was deleted before arriving on this list)
Oh, I forgot about it. Please, download the file from here:
https://mega.nz/#!M1NimZSD!jdWI8AQ-hR0GrQ6SLuWDEIBFAVgQUEqo8LZ8dAryQIs
Wojciech

>         So without seeing the example, I'm making a couple assumptions -
> which may or may not apply  ;-)
>
>         (1) Did you insert these footnotes manually as you did the regular
> text?;
>                (if so, I have no clue as to why all the text would not
> convert to MsFt's product)
>          or (2) did you set the footnotes through LO's set-up?;
>                (if so, I suspect that this version of MsFt is again denying
> compatibility with LO)   :-(
>         (3) when you refer to 'sequentially numbered footnotes' does that
> mean your footnotes were on a separate page(s) rather than at the bottom of
> each' respective page?
>            (if a separate page, then I don't have a clue as to why MsFt
> wouldn't handle this page as any other;
>                if on separate, respective pages, then only MsFt might know
> why they do not wish to be compatible with others)
>

> From: Wojciech Górnaś <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM
> Subject: [libreoffice-users] footnotes numbering problem
> To: [hidden email]
>

> Hi,
> In this example document, each footnote number was inserted manually in
> LibreOffice Writer. Now, is there a way to convert them all to
> automatically, sequentially numbered footnotes? I tried to do this in MS
> Word (2007), but to no avail. For some reason Word doesn't even recognize
> the footnote references.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Wojciech

> This
> email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
> <#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: footnotes numbering problem

       If this is the correct URL,
          then hopefully someone else will be able to open it, view your
example, then supply an answer to your problem.

       For some reason, all I see is a blank page  ???

From: Wojciech Górnaś <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM
To: [hidden email]

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 14:17 20/01/2016 +0100, Wojciech Górnas wrote:
>In this example document, ...

The document is a .docx file. It might be more
sensible to save this in .odt format.

>... each footnote number was inserted manually
>in LibreOffice Writer. Now, is there a way to
>convert them all to automatically, sequentially numbered footnotes?

I don't see an automatic method, but there is a
manual techniques that is quite straightforward.

o Either: place the cursor on the first footnote
anchor, so that it changes from I-beam to a hand,
and go to right-click | Footnote/Endnote... .
o Or: place the cursor immediately to the left of
the first footnote anchor and go to Edit | Footnote/Endnote... .
o In the Edit Footnote/Endnote dialogue, the
Numbering type is shown as Character; change this to Automatic.
o *Don't* click OK, but instead click the
right-arrow at bottom right to move to the next footnote anchor.
o Repeat the process, clicking Automatic and the right-arrow each time.
o When the right-arrow becomes greyed out, you
have come to the end of the footnote anchors; click OK.

o The label in the footnote now labelled "D" has
different format from the others, as it has a
different paragraph style. Open the Styles and
Formatting window and correct this.

o The footnotes are now labelled A, B, C, etc. If
you want to change this - perhaps to the
conventional 1, 2, 3, etc. - go to Tools |
Footnotes/Endnotes... | Footnotes | AutoNumbering
| Numbering and make your choice.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Wojciech Górnaś Wojciech Górnaś

Re: footnotes numbering problem

Hello, thank you both for your answers. A new link to the same document,
saved as ODT: https://copy.com/t38Z7xRx9CrSjiNI – hope this one will
open flawlessly.

> I don't see an automatic method, but there is a manual techniques that
> is quite straightforward.

I know the manual way of doing it – although I had a good reason to ask
about an automatic method: the original file contains 1000+ footnotes :)
This should have been written it at the very beginning: I am quite
familiar with LO Writer and really have tried out different options. I
decided ask my question because I really don't know what to do now.
Wojciech

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 10:01 21/01/2016 +0100, Wojciech Górnas wrote:
>I know the manual way of doing it - although I
>had a good reason to ask about an automatic
>method: the original file contains 1000+
>footnotes :) This should have been written it at
>the very beginning: I am quite familiar with LO
>Writer and really have tried out different options.

Indeed it should: this would have saved me wasted effort.

>I decided ask my question because I really don't know what to do now.

You could unzip the .odt file, extract
content.xml, examine this to determine how
Automatic and Character footnote anchors are
differently represented, edit it as necessary,
rezip the .odt file using the edited content.xml
- and hope it works! But I don't recommend this.

Brian Barker

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Brian Barker wrote:

 > You could unzip the .odt file, extract
 > content.xml, examine this to determine how
 > Automatic and Character footnote anchors are
 > differently represented, edit it as necessary,
 > rezip the .odt file using the edited content.xml
 > - and hope it works! But I don't recommend this.

I tried this out and it appears to be easy:

The text is in the content.xml file in the zip file.
The footnotes are of the form

<text:note-citation text:label="6">6</text:note-citation>
followed by a <text:note-body>
(For some reason all the footnote numbers are equal to the last one:6)

In an automatic footnote, the text:label="6" part is missing. So removing this, changes them to automatic. Then, they will be numbered A, B, C, ... If you want to change this to numbers, do it with Tools > Footnotes > Numbering as has been mentioned by Brian in an earlier message.

Of course you should do this on a copy of your file, not on the original (or have a copy saved).
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Wojciech Górnaś Wojciech Górnaś

Re: footnotes numbering problem

Thank you Brian, thank you Piet!
Worked just fine (in the original large file too). I do appreciate your
help, it saved me a lot of time and work.
If applied carefully, your method is a simple and useful tool to convert
footnotes.

Best regards
Wojciech

W dniu 21.01.2016 o 12:21, Piet van Oostrum pisze:

> Brian Barker wrote:
>
>   > You could unzip the .odt file, extract
>   > content.xml, examine this to determine how
>   > Automatic and Character footnote anchors are
>   > differently represented, edit it as necessary,
>   > rezip the .odt file using the edited content.xml
>   > - and hope it works! But I don't recommend this.
>   >
> I tried this out and it appears to be easy:
>
> The text is in the content.xml file in the zip file.
> The footnotes are of the form
>
> <text:note-citation text:label="6">6</text:note-citation>
> followed by a <text:note-body>
> (For some reason all the footnote numbers are equal to the last one:6)
>
> In an automatic footnote, the text:label="6" part is missing. So removing this, changes them to automatic. Then, they will be numbered A, B, C, ... If you want to change this to numbers, do it with Tools > Footnotes > Numbering as has been mentioned by Brian in an earlier message.
>
> Of course you should do this on a copy of your file, not on the original (or have a copy saved).

--
I’ve seen the other side of rainbow, and it was black and white.

ʞǝʇɾoʍ