getting LO source

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

getting LO source

There being no answers to the long-standing issues with playing videos,
I thought I'd take a look at the source for myself. Possibly a hopeless
task, but anyway...

I fell at the first :-{ and couldn't even download the source. Not a
promising start!

The page at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux
recommends using git, so I tried the suggested

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core libreoffice

only to be told

"Cloning into libreoffice'...
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported:
/libreoffice/core"

(I also tried git clone -n .... with the same result. I suspect the web
page should show the -n ???)

Help please?

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Gilles Gravier Gilles Gravier

Re: getting LO source

Mike,

For me, it's downloading... I'm at 25% and no specific issue. I copy
pasted your line directly.

Try again now? Maybe a network or a server error that has since been fixed?

Gilles

--
Signature Home Pro
Gilles Gravier- [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: getting LO source

I just looked it up on the development page.
This text was given:

     All our source code is hosted in git:

         Clone: $ git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core #
         Clone: $ git clone
http://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/libreoffice/core.git # slower

This was the text you listed:

         git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core
libreoffice

By looking at the command line text you are using, it looks like you had
the wrong command structure.
Looks like you added "libreoffice" after the "core" command.  Can you
replace the #" with "libreoffice"?
Will it work that way?

On 11/06/2017 10:02 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> Mike,
>

> For me, it's downloading... I'm at 25% and no specific issue. I copy
> pasted your line directly.
>

> Try again now? Maybe a network or a server error that has since been fixed?
>

> Gilles
>

> On 06/11/2017 15:26, Mike Scott wrote:
>> There being no answers to the long-standing issues with playing
>> videos, I thought I'd take a look at the source for myself. Possibly a
>> hopeless task, but anyway...
>>
>> I fell at the first :-{ and couldn't even download the source. Not a
>> promising start!
>>
>> The page at
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux
>> recommends using git, so I tried the suggested
>>
>> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core libreoffice
>>
>> only to be told
>>
>> "Cloning into libreoffice'...
>> fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported:
>> /libreoffice/core"
>>
>> (I also tried git clone -n .... with the same result. I suspect the
>> web page should show the -n ???)
>>
>> Help please?

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

resolved (Re: [libreoffice-users] getting LO source)

(resent - I think the 1st copy is stuck in moderation. Thanks to those
who replied meanwhile)

On 06/11/17 15:02, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Mike,
>

> For me, it's downloading... I'm at 25% and no specific issue. I copy
> pasted your line directly.
>

> Try again now? Maybe a network or a server error that has since been fixed?

Thanks for the reply. red face time here: coming back, I found a
straightforward typo on my command line. Which, being in a virtual
machine, I'd retyped (correctly) when posting from my real desktop. (In
mitigation, I'd left out the 'o' in libreoffice, which was just about at
the line-wrap. You always see what you expect to see!)

Problem fixed. But just how long should I expect for LO to build? I've
seen estimates on the net of and hour or two on a less powerful
processor than my own: but I've always had the impression it would be a
seriously long time.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
"The only way is Brexit" -- anon.

Jean-Baptiste Faure-3 Jean-Baptiste Faure-3

Re: resolved (Re: [libreoffice-users] getting LO source)

Le 06/11/2017 à 19:53, Mike Scott a écrit :
> [...]
> Problem fixed. But just how long should I expect for LO to build? I've
> seen estimates on the net of and hour or two on a less powerful
> processor than my own: but I've always had the impression it would be a
> seriously long time.

That does not depend only on your processor, but also on your mass
storage device (HD or SSD), the use or not of ccache (for a second
build) and the build options you have chosen (for example the number of
parallel jobs). And probably on your OS too.

For me a complete build is about 2 hours with an i7 with 2 physical
cores and an SSD, if I allow 2 parallel jobs to the build system. I use
a Linux OS. On my previous PC it was about 4 hours with a HD and a i7
from an older generation.

Be patient. :-)

Best regards.
JBF

Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

On 07/11/17 05:51, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:

> Le 06/11/2017 à 19:53, Mike Scott a écrit :
>> [...]
>> Problem fixed. But just how long should I expect for LO to build? I've
>> seen estimates on the net of and hour or two on a less powerful
>> processor than my own: but I've always had the impression it would be
>> a seriously long time.
>
> That does not depend only on your processor, but also on your mass
> storage device (HD or SSD), the use or not of ccache (for a second
> build) and the build options you have chosen (for example the number of
> parallel jobs). And probably on your OS too.
>
> For me a complete build is about 2 hours with an i7 with 2 physical
> cores and an SSD, if I allow 2 parallel jobs to the build system. I use
> a Linux OS. On my previous PC it was about 4 hours with a HD and a i7
> from an older generation.
>
> Be patient. :-)

Wise words. Thanks for your reply.

I left it running all evening; it took somewhere between 2.5 and 5.5
hours to complete (which it did first time of asking). This was a
first-time build on a VM - quad 3.1GHz i5-3450 processor, 2Gb memory
allocated and running Mint (was swapping more than I'd have wished).

Having established it would build and run (with the same video problem,
incidentally), I finally looked at the sources. Now I begin to see why
changes take so long.... not a comment in sight for one thing, and a
spider's web of complexity. Sheesh! Nightmarish.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
"The only way is Brexit" -- anon.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: resolved (Re: getting LO source)

Le 08/11/2017 à 10:52, Mike Scott a écrit :

Hi Mike,

> Having established it would build and run (with the same video problem,
> incidentally), I finally looked at the sources. Now I begin to see why
> changes take so long.... not a comment in sight for one thing, and a
> spider's web of complexity. Sheesh! Nightmarish.

The lack of significant comments stems from the original source code of
OpenOffice.org when it was released, which itself came from StarOffice
(after Sun bought the code). Most of the existing comments at the time
were also in German, and particularly concise or absconse.

Unfortunately, at least for the occasional person wanting to dive into
the code, heavy commenting does not seem to be widely adopted amongst
the currently active open source developers contributing to the project.
One might also bear in mind that the LibreOffice code base is huge -
certainly larger in lines of code than any other current open source
project.

As a non-developer trying to read the code for bug hunting, it has given
me migraines on many an occasion.

Alex

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

On 09/11/17 09:04, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 08/11/2017 à 10:52, Mike Scott a écrit :
>
> Hi Mike,
>
>> Having established it would build and run (with the same video problem,
>> incidentally), I finally looked at the sources. Now I begin to see why
>> changes take so long.... not a comment in sight for one thing, and a
>> spider's web of complexity. Sheesh! Nightmarish.
>>

> The lack of significant comments stems from the original source code of
> OpenOffice.org when it was released, which itself came from StarOffice
> (after Sun bought the code). Most of the existing comments at the time
> were also in German, and particularly concise or absconse.
>
> Unfortunately, at least for the occasional person wanting to dive into
> the code, heavy commenting does not seem to be widely adopted amongst
> the currently active open source developers contributing to the project.
> One might also bear in mind that the LibreOffice code base is huge -
> certainly larger in lines of code than any other current open source
> project.
>
> As a non-developer trying to read the code for bug hunting, it has given
> me migraines on many an occasion.

Thanks. I'd forgotten the original would have been German (and
StarOffice was actually my first foray into a 'proper' WP -- iirc Sun
were giving it away at the time.)

Probably time this thread died off, the 'source' issue being resolved
and purely down to my failure.

I've started another thread on the particular video issue I'm concerned
with. If anyone can shed light there to help getting it resolved, I
think not a few users would be grateful!

Thanks again to all who've replied here.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 11/09/2017 09:04 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> As a non-developer trying to read the code for bug hunting, it has given me migraines on many an occasion.

Any pointers on how to minimise the pain of reading the code?

jonathon

Le 09/11/2017 à 16:30, jonathon a écrit :

 Any pointers on how to minimise the pain of reading the code?

Aspirin ;-)

Errm, seriously, not really, other than perhaps just focussing on one
area of the code. I tend to mostly focus on the database stuff, and have
recently started looking at memory leaks with the aid of Instruments.app
on MacOS, which does facilitate somewhat the fingerpointing and blaming
game for the bits of code it considers "wrong". Not that it always gets
it right mind.

With the database code, I started occasionally perusing the driver
classes when I was still using OpenOffice.org and trying to understand
how they were constructed and how they were intended to function. I held
the vain hope of developing my own driver class at the time (but for
which db backend I fail to recall now), realising very quickly that it
was out of my league, so I just kept opening up the cxx files and
scrolling through them, and then forgetting most of what I'd found
interesting as soon as I'd closed it. At the time, I was also subscribed
to the dba mailing list for OpenOffice.org where the devs from Sun
frequently intervened to explain this or that function, and parts of the
API. Unfortunately, the dba code side of things is heavily
undersubscribed in the behemoth project that is LibreOffice today in
terms of human investment, there is but one dba code caretaker who has a
dayjob other than helping out with LO, and a few other occasional
committers, mostly people working for Linux distros to fix bugs, or
GSOC-ing, thereby making it difficult to have increasing in-depth
knowledge and insights. That knowledge kind of tends to be assumed.

I would probably need several lifetimes to become proficient enough in
programming in C++ to be able to even dream of understanding each time
what is going on. I'd say, even with the amateur knowledge I have
currently, it has taken me more than 10 years of repeated blank staring
at lines of code to even start to comprehend, sadly...

Anyway, we are seriously digressing from the initial topic, so I'll stop
here...

Alex

James Knott James Knott

On 11/09/2017 12:28 PM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 09/11/2017 à 16:30, jonathon a écrit :
>
>  Any pointers on how to minimise the pain of reading the code?
>
> Aspirin ;-)

May the source be with you.  ;-)

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 11/09/2017 05:28 PM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Errm, seriously, not really, other than perhaps just focussing on one area of the code.

:(

> thereby making it difficult to have increasing in-depth knowledge and insights. That knowledge kind of tends to be assumed.

Not to mention that there used to be a great set of developer
documentation.  I didn't grab it back when it was available, thinking it
would always be available, and today it is nowhere to be found.

> I would probably need several lifetimes to become proficient enough in programming in C++

At least it isn't APL.

I'm delving into the "expert configuration" in ">Tools >LibreOffice
>Advanced >Open Expert Configuration", trying to figure out how to get
LibO to behave the way I want it to.
And to find out what those options do, I have to study the source.

jonathon