how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

William Dudley William Dudley

how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

I googled this, and the returned results all say "click on the page and hit
either delete or backspace".  This advice does not work.  If I hit
backspace, I can detect no change, no acknowledgement that I even hit a
key.  If I hit delete, I delete the first character in my footer.  I have
footers turned on, and no headers.

I'm an experienced computer user (and programmer) but I find libreoffice
maddeningly difficult.

Thanks,
Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

marianne-x marianne-x

Re: how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

You don't say whether you refer to blank, or filled, pages, but no matter.

There's probably a better way to do this, but if nothing else works for
you simply select, or mark, all the text + whatever else is on the page,
then hit a backspace.

That works on 4.4.7.2, at least, although I haven't checked it with
either headers or footers enabled - I don't think that they matter.

I also think that you're being unjustifiably overconfident when you
claim: "This email is free of malware because I run Linux."

trj

Gordon Cooper Gordon Cooper

Re: how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

Bill,
       You are not alone with this. Users have been asking for a Delete
Page function for several years.  I have yet to see it in the LO Help
and do not know a simple answer.

Regards,
Gordon.

On 29/04/19 13:38, William Dudley wrote:

> I googled this, and the returned results all say "click on the page and hit
> either delete or backspace".  This advice does not work.  If I hit
> backspace, I can detect no change, no acknowledgement that I even hit a
> key.  If I hit delete, I delete the first character in my footer.  I have
> footers turned on, and no headers.
>
> I'm an experienced computer user (and programmer) but I find libreoffice
> maddeningly difficult.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Dudley
>
> This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

odfman odfman

Re: how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

Hi William,
I am feeling a little confused by your request.  In general wordprocessors
take text and format it into a series of pages for printing or viewing.
There is no real concept of pages as such as there is with desktop
publishing applications.
It is possible to remove page breaks but if you wish to remove the content
on a page, the only way to do this is to select the text that appears on
that page and then press the <delete> key.  LibreOffice will then reformat
the remaining text into pages of specified size.
Let me know if I have got the whole thing wrong.
regards
Mike

Mike
email: [hidden email] | mobile: 0423 716 599

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 11:39, William Dudley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I googled this, and the returned results all say "click on the page and hit
> either delete or backspace".  This advice does not work.  If I hit
> backspace, I can detect no change, no acknowledgement that I even hit a
> key.  If I hit delete, I delete the first character in my footer.  I have
> footers turned on, and no headers.
>
> I'm an experienced computer user (and programmer) but I find libreoffice
> maddeningly difficult.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Dudley
>
> This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

William Dudley William Dudley

Re: how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I will try to answer everyone in a single email.

0. Apologies for the insufficiently detailed question.  The pages I wish to
delete are
(as far as I can tell) entirely blank.  I know how to delete text and
images from a page.

1. The problem I am experiencing is apparently because on the last page,
there
is a picture and some text anchored to the page.  Libreoffice is apparently
capable
of making a document longer when the content expands and there is an anchor
on the last page, but incapable of removing blank pages if the content
shrinks.  The
person I work with on this project told me to cut (remove) the content from
the last
page, and then paste on an earlier page, and then I would be able to delete
the
blank pages at the end of the document.

2. I fully comprehend the difference between pixels and character locations
on a page
of text, but since there are no characters, and no defined font or anything
else, the
only way I could think of to express the concept of "everywhere on the
page" was to
use "pixels" as a unit.  Also, the need to precisely click on the gray
border of a "text
frame" to be able to delete it tells me than pixel-level precision is
necessary to run
LibreOffice Writer.

3. my "signature" line about malware and Linux is only a response to the
"scanned by
Avast (etc.)" lines I see on so many incoming emails.  The chance of
my emails having malware is vanishingly small; I think the signature line
is close enough
to 100% accurate as makes no difference, not least because there is
probably NO email
propagated malware targeting Linux.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 4/29/19 3:30 PM, William Dudley wrote:
> 0. Apologies for the insufficiently detailed question.  The pages I wish to delete are (as far as I can tell) entirely blank.

I was wondering if they were blank, but the used vocabulary implied
otherwise.

> 1. The problem I am experiencing is apparently because on the last page, there is a picture and some text anchored to the page.  Libreoffice is apparently
> capable of making a document longer when the content expands and there is an anchor on the last page, but incapable of removing blank pages if the content shrinks.

Whether or not it does that, depends upon the paragraph, character, and
frame styles that were last used. If the last frame has migrated off the
last page, then deleting whitespace surrounding the frame will usually
delete the last blank page. However, this deletion process can be tricky.

Your use-case is not unusual. The fix is not well described in the
documentation.

>not least because there is probably NO email propagated malware targeting Linux.

Either the Shadowbroker's dump, or the one of their competitor across
the street contained an email delivery system targetting Linux. The dump
of one of their competitors had a delivery system targetting BSD.

As such, the only safe assumption is that there are both delivery
systems, and malware targetting every OS out there.

jonathon

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: how do I delete a page in libreoffice?

Hi William,

> 1. The problem I am experiencing is apparently because on the last page,
> there
> is a picture and some text anchored to the page.

If you set an anchor to the page the picture is really conncted to the
page with this numer and couldn't be removed from this page. Set the
anchor back to pragraph. The picture will move to the last pragraph and
the blank pages have been gone ...

Regards

Robert