how to reformat this?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Dave Stevens Dave Stevens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

how to reformat this?

here's a snippet of text where the lines are too short -

She also showed herself to be adept at
office politics-at flattering her superiors
without appearing to do so; at wrong-
footing those who stood in her path to
advancement, again, without ever
betraying her intent.

I'd like to reformat this to look more like this -

She also showed herself to be adept at office politics-at flattering
her superiors without appearing to do so; at wrong-footing those who
stood in her path to advancement, again, without ever betraying her
intent.

This is because the source text is about 150K words and the short lines
are very tedious to read. But not as tedious as reformatting the whole
thing by hand.

Can anyone suggest how to use LO Writer to automate amalgamating short
lines into longer lines? Even two successive ones into one would be very
helpful.

Dave

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to reformat this?

At 18:44 12/04/2019 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
>here's a snippet of text where the lines are too short -
>[...]
>I'd like to reformat this to look more like this -
>[...]
>
>Can anyone suggest how to use LO Writer to
>automate amalgamating short lines into longer lines?

o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect | AutoCorrect Options | Options.
o Select "Combine single line paragraphs if length greater than xx%".
o Click Edit ... and change the percentage to a
suitably small value: zero might do.
o Select the text.
o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect | Apply.
Voilà!

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to reformat this?

In reply to this post by Dave Stevens
If you toggle the Formatting Marks on, with <Ctrl>+F10, you will see that
each line is actually a paragraph.  You need to collapse the multiple lines
into single lines with the Find & Replace dialog.  But before that you'll
want to mark the actual paragraph endings with a unique text sequence.
You'll need that to split things back up after they're joined.

Select all of the Text you need to reformat.

Open the Find & Replace dialog, with <Ctrl>+H, enable its Regular
Expressions check box.

Enter "$" in the Find field
Enter " " in the Replace field

Your choice then to Find Next / Replace, or Find All / Replace All

Then do the same against the  text marks you set. But here your replacement
is "\n".
 



--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

remygauthier remygauthier
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to reformat this?

Hi,

Instead of using text marks, you can also do the search and replace and
after place your cursor where you want the line breaks to be and type
<Shift>Enter. This will cut the line without inserting an end of
paragraph.

Rémy.
Le vendredi 12 avril 2019 à 20:50 -0700, V Stuart Foote a écrit :

> If you toggle the Formatting Marks on, with <Ctrl>+F10, you will see that
> each line is actually a paragraph.  You need to collapse the multiple lines
> into single lines with the Find & Replace dialog.  But before that you'll
> want to mark the actual paragraph endings with a unique text sequence.
> You'll need that to split things back up after they're joined.
>
> Select all of the Text you need to reformat.
>
> Open the Find & Replace dialog, with <Ctrl>+H, enable its Regular
> Expressions check box.
>
> Enter "$" in the Find field
> Enter " " in the Replace field
>
> Your choice then to Find Next / Replace, or Find All / Replace All
>
> Then do the same against the  text marks you set. But here your replacement
> is "\n".
>  
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy