i10n or i18n

Wheatbix Wheatbix

i10n or i18n

Has anyone noticed that the mailing list nickname for
Internationalisation is i10n instead of i18n?
The name is derived from the phonetic pronounciation of
Intern-EIGHTEEN-alisatioN hence i18n.

i10n is a short name for localisation, which by definition is
formatting like numbers, dates and money.
i18n can encompass i10n by definition.

Maybe we should look at renaming this before it gets too big to handle...

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

Re: i10n or i18n

Hi Michael,
2010.11.05 07:28, Michael Wheatland rašė:
> Has anyone noticed that the mailing list nickname for
> Internationalisation is i10n instead of i18n?

wrong, it's L10n (L-ten-N, for localization).

> The name is derived from the phonetic pronounciation of
> Intern-EIGHTEEN-alisatioN hence i18n.
>
> i10n is a short name for localisation, which by definition is
> formatting like numbers, dates and money.
> i18n can encompass i10n by definition.

I think you're wrong, and the following is correct:
* Localization is the top layer, which includes interface translation,
the things you mentioned and other adaptations for a particular LOCAL
market (e.g. icons)
* Internationalization (I18n) is the precondition for making L10n
possible. This includes handling of foreign data, data sorting, correct
handling of currency, date and time formats, casing etc.
* The bigger process that covers both of the processes above is
sometimes called Globalization (G11n), I think.

Best regards,
Rimas

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

"Libreoffice" mailing list (was: Re: [libreoffice-website] i10n or i18n)

Hi Michael,

I also noticed an issue with regard to the freedesktop mailing lists
covering development stuff.

I already wrote in a PS ...
> Is there a reason for the list to be called "[Libreoffice]".
> Shouldn't it be "[LibreOffice]" or even "[libreoffice]" (to match the
> libo.org lists)? Where can I file an issue for that? ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph