ide-integration project files placement

Kaganski Mike Kaganski Mike

ide-integration project files placement

Hi,

currently vs201[35]-ide-integration places its generated output into windows subdirectory in core. I an not convinced that it is sensible in the cross-platform project like LO. And anyway VS != Windows.

My proposal is to use something like this for e.g. vs2013-ide-integration results:

ide-integration/vs2013/LibreOffice.sln

ide-integration/vs2013/accessibility/accessibility.sln

I suppose that there's no need to mention the platform here, otherwise I wonder what would be sensible naming for e.g. eclipse...

Mike Kaganski

Thorsten Behrens-6 Thorsten Behrens-6

Re: ide-integration project files placement

Kaganski Mike wrote:
> currently vs201[35]-ide-integration places its generated output into
> windows subdirectory in core.
>
> [...]
I don't really use that, but - always feels wrong to write stuff into
the source tree, any reason not to use workdir or instdir?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

On 2/21/2017 5:54 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Kaganski Mike wrote:
currently vs201[35]-ide-integration places its generated output into
windows subdirectory in core.

[...]

I don't really use that, but - always feels wrong to write stuff into
the source tree, any reason not to use workdir or instdir?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Well, there's a good reason for this: make clean shouldn't remove the files, including custom bookmarks, breakpoints etc. that are generated by IDE in the same directories.

Mike Kaganski

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:54:42AM +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> I don't really use that, but - always feels wrong to write stuff into
> the source tree, any reason not to use workdir or instdir?

I agree in general. Note that I likely started this unhealthy trend as for
kdevelop, it indeed wasnt really possible to avoid writing to the source tree.

As noted in other replies, having a top-level "make clean" kill the solution
files is undesireable too. I wonder though, if for IDEs where this is possible
a separate top-level dir instead of sprinkling things all over the tree is
desireable? E.g. $(SRCDIR)/ide-solutions or $(SRCDIR)/vs{2013,2015,...).

Best,

Bjoern
Federico Bassini Federico Bassini

Re: ide-integration project files placement

Hi!

we are 3 italian's student of Osvaldo, he assign us to the IDE project, we work on the class testVS2013Ide so we don't change the VisualStudioIntegratorGeneration... we have the tasks that Jan gave us...

we are ready to work! now we resolve this... so we need to create a new directory where we can put the project files?
we also remove the '../../' and to replace it we use the enviroment variables... it's ok? :)

rgds
ffex

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:54:42AM +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> I don't really use that, but - always feels wrong to write stuff into
> the source tree, any reason not to use workdir or instdir?

I agree in general. Note that I likely started this unhealthy trend as for
kdevelop, it indeed wasnt really possible to avoid writing to the source tree.

As noted in other replies, having a top-level "make clean" kill the solution
files is undesireable too. I wonder though, if for IDEs where this is possible
a separate top-level dir instead of sprinkling things all over the tree is
desireable? E.g. $(SRCDIR)/ide-solutions or $(SRCDIR)/vs{2013,2015,...).

Best,

Bjoern
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: ide-integration project files placement

Hi
On 24 Feb 2017, at 11:50, Federico Bassini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

we are 3 italian's student of Osvaldo, he assign us to the IDE project, we work on the class testVS2013Ide so we don't change the VisualStudioIntegratorGeneration... we have the tasks that Jan gave us...

we are ready to work! now we resolve this... so we need to create a new directory where we can put the project files?
Why do you need a new directory to put the files….as I told you, you can continue working with bin/gbuild-to-ide. You will see there are a second version in bin/ and that is the production version.

we also remove the '../../' and to replace it we use the enviroment variables... it's ok? :)
You should $(SRCDIR) and $(BUILDDIR) please not more (those are set in our gbuild system).

Keep the generated files (as they are now) in $(SRCDIR)/windows  (it seems you did not see my reply to bjoern and his ok).

rgds
jan I.

rgds
ffex