image anchoring

Next » 12
alefried alefried

image anchoring

Hello,

for a long time, i have been looking for a way to set image anchoring to
'as text' as the default preset, instead of 'to paragraph'.
Since i have'nt found any clue to do so (maybe i did not search enough),
i am finally writing this email.

Does anybody know a way to go, i.e. setting the default anchoring to 'as
text' after an image insertion ?

thanks,

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: image anchoring

On 10/21/2012 06:54 AM, Alexandre FRIEDMANN wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for a long time, i have been looking for a way to set image anchoring
> to 'as text' as the default preset, instead of 'to paragraph'.
> Since i have'nt found any clue to do so (maybe i did not search
> enough), i am finally writing this email.
>
> Does anybody know a way to go, i.e. setting the default anchoring to
> 'as text' after an image insertion ?
>
> thanks,

      The default setting for anchoring an image is "to paragraph". What
you want to use is "as character".

--Dan

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: image anchoring

On 10/21/2012 09:14 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> On 10/21/2012 06:54 AM, Alexandre FRIEDMANN wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> for a long time, i have been looking for a way to set image anchoring
>> to 'as text' as the default preset, instead of 'to paragraph'.
>> Since i have'nt found any clue to do so (maybe i did not search
>> enough), i am finally writing this email.
>>
>> Does anybody know a way to go, i.e. setting the default anchoring to
>> 'as text' after an image insertion ?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>      The default setting for anchoring an image is "to paragraph".
> What you want to use is "as character".
>
> --Dan

What is the difference between "TO Character" and "AS Character"?

I tend to make images anchor to the Page, forthe most part.  IF you want
the image to go with a specific paragraph or line of textas you add text
before that section of a large[er] document, then I do not know which is
best.

To Paragraph, To Character, As Character.

I wonder how you actually determine which Character you are anchoring
the image to.

Tom Tom

Re: image anchoring

Hi :)
Right-click on the image.  On the right-click menu hover over "Anchor to" and from the sub-menu choose either
As Character   or
To Character
If you don't like the way it woks try the other option.  Chapter 11 of the "Gettign Started Guide" might be more helpful
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

I don't know what the difference is between the 2 options so i'm hoping the guide covers it!
Apols and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: image anchoring

Le 21/10/2012 17:03, Tom Davies a écrit :
> Hi :)
> Right-click on the image.  On the right-click menu hover over "Anchor to" and from the sub-menu choose either
> As Character   or
> To Character

I guess the OP wants this as the default behaviour. As there's no image
style, this path is not possible.

A workaround could be to insert images within frames.
Setting the frame style accordingly then saving the document as a
template, then setting that template as the default one could do the
trick. Use the File / Templates menu to get the template thingy done.

HTH,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: image anchoring

On 21/10/2012 at 17:13, "Jean-Francois Nifenecker" <jean-
[hidden email]> wrote:

> As there's no image style, this path is not possible.

There are image styles. They are called "Frame styles" and you will find them
under third icon from left in "Styles and formatting" window. As far as I
remember, MS Word doesn't have them.

But for some strange reason you can't change anchoring in style properties.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: image anchoring

On 21/10/2012 at 16:49, "webmaster-Kracked_P_P" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What is the difference between "TO Character" and "AS Character"?

Why don't you just open Writer and check it yourself?

Anchoring image to character gives you ability to position image relative to
page, text area or paragraph, both vertical and horizontal.

Anchoring image as character makes image behave as it was character. You can't
move it horizontally and in vertical space you can move it in relation to
imaginary text lines (see this Wikipedia article for details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography) ). Unless your image is the
same height as text-size of your paragraph (or smaller), anchoring it as
character will produce unsightly results.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

On 10/21/2012 11:23 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 21/10/2012 at 16:49, "webmaster-Kracked_P_P" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between "TO Character" and "AS Character"?
> Why don't you just open Writer and check it yourself?
>
> Anchoring image to character gives you ability to position image relative to
> page, text area or paragraph, both vertical and horizontal.
>
> Anchoring image as character makes image behave as it was character. You can't
> move it horizontally and in vertical space you can move it in relation to
> imaginary text lines (see this Wikipedia article for details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography) ). Unless your image is the
> same height as text-size of your paragraph (or smaller), anchoring it as
> character will produce unsightly results.
There are more things than involved that would not show up in a small
test I could do.

ALSO I would rather have someone who knows the difference explain it to
me and the list.  That person might have info on how it is effected by
adding large amount of text and images in the document before that
specific anchored image, and how different formatting schemes, like 2
columns or text boxes, like in magazines and newsletter, effect the
movement of the image with the anchor.

Tom Tom

Re: image anchoring

Hi :)
There have been other useful responses.  I just wanted to say i find Anchor to page more useful and then if the paragraph moves or changes page then i just deal with it then.  I don't want images to jump around the page while i'm typign soemthing in or shifting text around.  I just need an idea of roughly how much space they are going to take up.  Finalising positions is one of the last jobs i tend to do.

Obviously each of us prefers different work-flow and usually for good reasons that wouldn't suit someone else.  The trick is to find a way that suits you best given the tools you use.

>________________________________

ré

Re: image anchoring

I have found a way to do this here forum open office

- Copy your .odt file in a new directory
- Unzip your .odt file. (replace odt by zip in the filename and unzip)
- open styles.xml with whatever (gedit, vi, ...)
- Find something like name="Graphics"
- just after, it should be something like anchor="paragraph". Replace paragraph by as-char.
- save and close
- delete the copy of your .odt file that you have done in the directory
- zip the whole, and rename the file extension.

Then, all the images will be inserted as character. :-)

You can create a blank text file, following these steps, and define it as your default template.

Regards,

A.Marsan
rfithen rfithen

Re: image anchoring

I agree, "anchor as character" should be the default behavior as in Microsoft Office. Clearly there are no reasonable responses to your question, and the devs seem to ignore this request.
Florian Reisinger Florian Reisinger

Re: image anchoring

Hi,

There are (close to) no devs on this list...

Liebe Grüße / Yours,
Florian Reisinger

> Am 15.12.2014 um 20:11 schrieb rfithen <[hidden email]>:
>
> I agree, "anchor as character" should be the default behavior as in Microsoft
> Office. Clearly there are no reasonable responses to your question, and the
> devs seem to ignore this request.

TomD TomD

Re: image anchoring

Hi :)
Err,

1.  we hear that "AS character" produces the most hideous unsightly results
2.  we hear that MS Office does it that way
3.  there's a call for us to move to the hideous unsightly way!!

Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to make
it as hideous as MS Office!!?

There probably is a place where you can configure your own set-up to
default as you prefer.  Then maybe copy that xcu (on Windows) or User
Profile (on all OSes) to get the same defaults onto other machines.

I tend to find MS Office 2010 tends to use "to paragraph" but that might be
something weird i did during set-up.  Personally i usually prefer "to page"
for my company's newsletter but it's not always appropriate.

Simply right-click on an image and choose "Anchor" and a sub-menu appears
allowing you to choose.  There are probably other ways but i tend to find
that easiest for me.

On 15 December 2014 at 20:17, Florian Reisinger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are (close to) no devs on this list...
>
> Liebe Grüße / Yours,
> Florian Reisinger
>
> > Am 15.12.2014 um 20:11 schrieb rfithen <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I agree, "anchor as character" should be the default behavior as in
> Microsoft
> > Office. Clearly there are no reasonable responses to your question, and
> the
> > devs seem to ignore this request.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: image anchoring

I do not remember seeing the original post with the question included.

For single page documents, I use Anchor to Page.  For multi page
documents, I use Anchor to Paragraph.  That way, if I do some changes in
the margins, etc., the "picture" seems not to "wander" around as much -
left to right on the page - as the character/word would make it.

On 12/15/2014 04:37 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Err,
>
> 1.  we hear that "AS character" produces the most hideous unsightly results
> 2.  we hear that MS Office does it that way
> 3.  there's a call for us to move to the hideous unsightly way!!
>
> Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to make
> it as hideous as MS Office!!?
>
> There probably is a place where you can configure your own set-up to
> default as you prefer.  Then maybe copy that xcu (on Windows) or User
> Profile (on all OSes) to get the same defaults onto other machines.
>

> I tend to find MS Office 2010 tends to use "to paragraph" but that might be
> something weird i did during set-up.  Personally i usually prefer "to page"
> for my company's newsletter but it's not always appropriate.
>
> Simply right-click on an image and choose "Anchor" and a sub-menu appears
> allowing you to choose.  There are probably other ways but i tend to find
> that easiest for me.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 15 December 2014 at 20:17, Florian Reisinger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are (close to) no devs on this list...
>>
>> Liebe Grüße / Yours,
>> Florian Reisinger
>>
>>> Am 15.12.2014 um 20:11 schrieb rfithen <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I agree, "anchor as character" should be the default behavior as in
>> Microsoft
>>> Office. Clearly there are no reasonable responses to your question, and
>> the
>>> devs seem to ignore this request.
>>>

>>> --
>> deleted
>> deleted

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: image anchoring

That's not surprising really... the link to "View this message in
context" shows it was a reply to a 2-year-old thread!

Mark.

Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> I do not remember seeing the original post with the question included.
>
> For single page documents, I use Anchor to Page.  For multi page
> documents, I use Anchor to Paragraph.  That way, if I do some changes in
> the margins, etc., the "picture" seems not to "wander" around as much -
> left to right on the page - as the character/word would make it.
>

> On 12/15/2014 04:37 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> Err,
>>
>> 1.  we hear that "AS character" produces the most hideous unsightly
>> results
>> 2.  we hear that MS Office does it that way
>> 3.  there's a call for us to move to the hideous unsightly way!!
>>
>> Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to make
>> it as hideous as MS Office!!?
>>
>> There probably is a place where you can configure your own set-up to
>> default as you prefer.  Then maybe copy that xcu (on Windows) or User
>> Profile (on all OSes) to get the same defaults onto other machines.
>>

>> I tend to find MS Office 2010 tends to use "to paragraph" but that
>> might be
>> something weird i did during set-up.  Personally i usually prefer "to
>> page"
>> for my company's newsletter but it's not always appropriate.
>>
>> Simply right-click on an image and choose "Anchor" and a sub-menu appears
>> allowing you to choose.  There are probably other ways but i tend to find
>> that easiest for me.
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>> On 15 December 2014 at 20:17, Florian Reisinger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There are (close to) no devs on this list...
>>>
>>> Liebe Grüße / Yours,
>>> Florian Reisinger

>>> Microsoft
>>> the

>>> deleted
>>> --
>>> deleted

hfinger hfinger

Re: image anchoring

All:

> Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to make
> it as hideous as MS Office!!?

​Can MS Office be more hideous than this?

I decided to make a small database of bicycle spare parts in Calc, in which
I would include a photo of each part as it's easier to scan a printout for
a picture than look up words.

Copying a graphic file from Gimp, etc. (or even another cell) and pasting
into a cell produces these results:

   - the anchor may be in the selected cell, or it could be to the sheet,
   or in the cell above, or the cell to the left
   - the cell must not only be selected (heavy border) but in direct
   text-entry mode to have any hope of pasting into the cell, otherwise the
   graphic will be anchored to the sheet for sure.

​You can change the anchor so that the graphic is equivalent to a
character, with these results:

   - if you hide the column in which the graphic character is located, the
   graphic is still visible, but it should be hidden like all the other text
   characters in that column. In fact, they are not only not hidden but they
   obscure the contents of the neighbouring visible (= non-hidden) cells
   - the same goes for hiding rows
   - if you resize the cell, the graphic overlaps into neighbouring cells,
   unlike what would happen if it were a real text character or string, which
   gets masked off at the borders.​

​The database file is located in the same folder as the graphic files. This
is important because the graphics are imported by reference, i.e. the
graphics are loaded when the Calc file is opened. Except some aren't but
are randomly not loaded.​

​I was the point of submitting a bug report when I lost all the content and
didn't have the motivation to redo it all.​ Time to copy this email into a
new bug report.

Regards,
Hedley

P.S.
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr
LibreOffice 4.2.7.2 (420m0(Build:2))

--
1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
[hidden email]

hfinger hfinger

Re: image anchoring

The original message might be very old but the problems I have including
graphics in Calc sheets is ongoing and VERY recent.

Regards,
Hedley

On 17 December 2014 at 10:16, Hedley Finger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All:
> ​
> > Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to
> make
> > it as hideous as MS Office!!?
>
> ​Can MS Office be more hideous than this?
>
> I decided to make a small database of bicycle spare parts in Calc, in
> which I would include a photo of each part as it's easier to scan a
> printout for a picture than look up words.
>
> Copying a graphic file from Gimp, etc. (or even another cell) and pasting
> into a cell produces these results:
>
>    - the anchor may be in the selected cell, or it could be to the sheet,
>    or in the cell above, or the cell to the left
>    - the cell must not only be selected (heavy border) but in direct
>    text-entry mode to have any hope of pasting into the cell, otherwise the
>    graphic will be anchored to the sheet for sure.
>
> ​You can change the anchor so that the graphic is equivalent to a
> character, with these results:
>
>    - if you hide the column in which the graphic character is located,
>    the graphic is still visible, but it should be hidden like all the other
>    text characters in that column. In fact, they are not only not hidden but
>    they obscure the contents of the neighbouring visible (= non-hidden) cells
>    - the same goes for hiding rows
>    - if you resize the cell, the graphic overlaps into neighbouring
>    cells, unlike what would happen if it were a real text character or string,
>    which gets masked off at the borders.​
>
> ​The database file is located in the same folder as the graphic files.
> This is important because the graphics are imported by reference, i.e. the
> graphics are loaded when the Calc file is opened. Except some aren't but
> are randomly not loaded.​
>
> ​I was the point of submitting a bug report when I lost all the content
> and didn't have the motivation to redo it all.​ Time to copy this email
> into a new bug report.
>
> Regards,
> Hedley
>
> P.S.
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr
> LibreOffice 4.2.7.2 (420m0(Build:2))
>
> --
> 1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
> [hidden email]
> Telephone 03 9836 4635
> Mobile 0412 461 558
> LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484

--
1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
[hidden email]
Telephone 03 9836 4635
Mobile 0412 461 558
LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: image anchoring

Hedley Finger wrote on 17-12-14 04:09:
> The original message might be very old but the problems I have including
> graphics in Calc sheets is ongoing and VERY recent.

Probably this one
  https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67712

Regards,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

TomD TomD

Re: image anchoring

Yeh, i haven't tried images in Calc.  However breaking them in Writer is
unlikely to help that.

I vaguely remember you had an excellent post with version numbers, OS and
more.  If you could test-drive the newest branch to see if the problem
still happens in there then posting a bug report asap might well draw
attention.  Do you know the first version this problem happened in?  My
guess is that it's always been there = in which case you are asking for a
"feature request".  I think "feature requests" are more attractive to the
devs.

My thought back then was that what you are trying to do in Calc sounds more
like a database problem.  If the thread about SQLite is right about SQLite
being an easier back-end for Base then that might be a MUCH better way to
go.  People on this mailing list might be quite "up for" helping with
that.  Also it sounds like right now might be a good time to ask questions
about how to use that back-end and set-up Base.  2 people working on it
means you might help each other by asking questions.

On 16 December 2014 at 23:16, Hedley Finger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All:
> ​
> > Why not stay with the advantages of LibreOffice instead of trying to
> make
> > it as hideous as MS Office!!?
>
> ​Can MS Office be more hideous than this?
>
> I decided to make a small database of bicycle spare parts in Calc, in
> which I would include a photo of each part as it's easier to scan a
> printout for a picture than look up words.
>
> Copying a graphic file from Gimp, etc. (or even another cell) and pasting
> into a cell produces these results:
>
>    - the anchor may be in the selected cell, or it could be to the sheet,
>    or in the cell above, or the cell to the left
>    - the cell must not only be selected (heavy border) but in direct
>    text-entry mode to have any hope of pasting into the cell, otherwise the
>    graphic will be anchored to the sheet for sure.
>
> ​You can change the anchor so that the graphic is equivalent to a
> character, with these results:
>
>    - if you hide the column in which the graphic character is located,
>    the graphic is still visible, but it should be hidden like all the other
>    text characters in that column. In fact, they are not only not hidden but
>    they obscure the contents of the neighbouring visible (= non-hidden) cells
>    - the same goes for hiding rows
>    - if you resize the cell, the graphic overlaps into neighbouring
>    cells, unlike what would happen if it were a real text character or string,
>    which gets masked off at the borders.​
>
> ​The database file is located in the same folder as the graphic files.
> This is important because the graphics are imported by reference, i.e. the
> graphics are loaded when the Calc file is opened. Except some aren't but
> are randomly not loaded.​
>
> ​I was the point of submitting a bug report when I lost all the content
> and didn't have the motivation to redo it all.​ Time to copy this email
> into a new bug report.
>
> Regards,
> Hedley
>
> P.S.
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr
> LibreOffice 4.2.7.2 (420m0(Build:2))
>
> --
> 1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
> [hidden email]
> Telephone 03 9836 4635
> Mobile 0412 461 558
> LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484

TomD TomD

Re: image anchoring

That looks worth perusing!  Seems a lot of work went into it so maybe there
has just been a regression in between it getting fixed and now.

If so then test-driving the freshest fresh branch might get this solved
quite quickly - or it might be that you just need to update to a newer
version of LibreOffice.  Either way test-driving the newest branch while
it's still in pre-release testing might be  really useful.

On 17 December 2014 at 07:12, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hedley Finger wrote on 17-12-14 04:09:
> > The original message might be very old but the problems I have including
> > graphics in Calc sheets is ongoing and VERY recent.
>
> Probably this one
>   https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67712
>
> Regards,
> Cor
>

> --
> Cor Nouws
> GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28  A038 E49D 7365 B134 80A6
> - vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
> - volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org
> - The Document Foundation Membership Committee Member

Next » 12