increasing no of columns to 16384

Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

increasing no of columns to 16384

Hi All

I've been working on increasing the number of columns in calc to 16384. Where I am now is that the CUT tests pass, not
the SCK or JUT or UIT tests.

Forwarding discussion with mmeeks below:

Noel Grandin wrote:

> So where I am right now is a little stuck.

  Ah ! =)

> I have fixed various latent overflow bugs, such that the CUT tests pass,
> and we can load/save spreadsheets with lots of columns.

> But the SCK/JUT/UIT tests fail because .... "ROW" is a valid column and
> some tests are using stuff like "ROW1" as a named range.

  Wow - what fun ! =) we go to XFD of course; any other fun words we can
  think of that intersect.

  What does Excel do for that ? (perhaps check names before columns or
  something(?) or de-mangle and check names).

> Now I can rename those in the test, but obviously that is not going to
> work well in the wild.

  Right; I wonder how common that is in the wild.

> Any suggestions ?

  Do we have the list of names as/when we're parsing the formulae
  typically ? my hope would be that in ODF they're beforehand, and that
  for XLS[X] we can get at them first (?) Of course - actually in ODF they
  are at the end after the cell data which is seriously dumb (huh!)

  Could we push the names of the names through the address de-mangler,
  and just warn the user in this case (?) - as long as people are not
  caught unawares - I'd imagine that we can survive (?) =)

Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

Re: increasing no of columns to 16384

And some of my respones:

>    What does Excel do for that ? (perhaps check names before columns or
something(?) or de-mangle and check names).

No idea. Apparently Excel clamps old documents to 1024 columns. We may need to do something similar i.e. have an option to explicitly enable >1024 columns.

    Could we push the names of the names through the address de-mangler,
and just warn the user in this case (?) - as long as people are not
caught unawares - I'd imagine that we can survive (?) =)

That is a possibility. The problem is really that we decide at a very low level (down in address.cxx) what we are looking at, and that lacks context, and we call into there from all over the place with not much more than a string, and try and decide if it is some kind of named thing, and cell reference, or a named reference, etc.
Not ideal.

Wols Lists Wols Lists

On 03/09/19 14:36, Noel Grandin wrote:

>>    What does Excel do for that ? (perhaps check names before columns or
> something(?) or de-mangle and check names).
>
> No idea. Apparently Excel clamps old documents to 1024 columns. We may
> need to do something similar i.e. have an option to explicitly enable
>>1024 columns.

Just a suggestion ... is MaxColumns a parameter?

Can't you - as part of opening the file - scan the user names for
collisions and set MaxColumns accordingly?

Cheers,
Wol