[info] My recent activities in general

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

[info] My recent activities in general

Hi everyone,

I hope some of you might remember that there was someone called
Christoph sending mails to this list ;-)

To be serious, there have been some changes in my private and
professional life that make it currently rather difficult to spend that
much time for this project. I'm sad about that, although the changes are
more than fine (having a wonderful small boy to spend time with, and
changing my job - the new one being even more UX-ish than ever before,
although it requires much more driving each day).

That said, and since I did not contribute anything "wow" to any of the
discussions or bug reports, I think it is inappropriate to keep the role
"Design Team Lead, User Experience" any longer. So thanks to everyone
who either initiated the voting for that role, and everyone who
expressed their support during the voting. I already felt free to remove
that description from the Design Team wiki page [1].

Now, I see two "N.N." who need to be filled in the mid-term ... so what
do you think? How to go on? Anybody there who might accept to guide the
direction of this team?

Currently, I hope to be much more helpful by working on the pile of
issues assigned to me, helping on the ux-advise list ... and looking at
some of the open discussions of the past weeks. For example, it would be
nice to know how to continue with smaller and general (seriously
developed) UI improvements people ask for regularly.

Back to what has been achieved - I was really stunned when I've looked
at the LibreOffice 3.5 features (release notes) page. I think the
LibreOffice community can be really proud of its achievements - some
people actively working on visual design and UX stuff. So let's go on
with that part of the story :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5

Michel RENON Michel RENON

Re: [info] My recent activities in general

Hi Christoph,

Le 23/01/12 22:07, Christoph Noack a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope some of you might remember that there was someone called
> Christoph sending mails to this list ;-)

Sure !
Happy to finally have news from you

> To be serious, there have been some changes in my private and
> professional life that make it currently rather difficult to spend that
> much time for this project. I'm sad about that, although the changes are
> more than fine (having a wonderful small boy to spend time with, and
> changing my job - the new one being even more UX-ish than ever before,
> although it requires much more driving each day).
>

> That said, and since I did not contribute anything "wow" to any of the
> discussions or bug reports, I think it is inappropriate to keep the role
> "Design Team Lead, User Experience" any longer. So thanks to everyone
> who either initiated the voting for that role, and everyone who
> expressed their support during the voting. I already felt free to remove
> that description from the Design Team wiki page [1].
>
> Now, I see two "N.N." who need to be filled in the mid-term ... so what
> do you think? How to go on? Anybody there who might accept to guide the
> direction of this team?

What actions/responsabilities are expected from the leader ?
What is expected to apply ?

Would it be possible to have 2 people ?
Il would allow them to share the pressure, the decisions, the knowledge,
and also one can take some rest without disturbing the project.

> Currently, I hope to be much more helpful by working on the pile of
> issues assigned to me, helping on the ux-advise list ... and looking at
> some of the open discussions of the past weeks. For example, it would be
> nice to know how to continue with smaller and general (seriously
> developed) UI improvements people ask for regularly.

And IMHO, it would be also nice if those small UI improvement can fit
nicely in a general roadmap.
Anyway, I'm happy you can still continue to spend some time in this
project.

> Back to what has been achieved - I was really stunned when I've looked
> at the LibreOffice 3.5 features (release notes) page. I think the
> LibreOffice community can be really proud of its achievements - some
> people actively working on visual design and UX stuff. So let's go on
> with that part of the story :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Michel

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: [info] design leads

Hi Michel, *,
Am 25.01.2012 15:38, schrieb Michel RENON:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> Le 23/01/12 22:07, Christoph Noack a écrit :

[...]

>> Now, I see two "N.N." who need to be filled in the mid-term ... so what
>> do you think? How to go on? Anybody there who might accept to guide the
>> direction of this team?
>>

> What actions/responsabilities are expected from the leader ?
> What is expected to apply ?

I think it is a job like a facility manager/consierge or - if this
sounds a little bit better - a mentor.
The lead should have a look on the different work that come up on one of
the two parts of the design team (vi (visual identity) and ux (user
experience)), sometimes coordinate it a bit, give some advices.

> Would it be possible to have 2 people ?

We have two parts so we need at least 2 people.

> Il would allow them to share the pressure, the decisions, the knowledge,
> and also one can take some rest without disturbing the project.

Our design leads (Bernhard and Christoph) were not like chairmans. They
don't make the decisions, they "only" start the votings and discussions
if no one else do this. Of course they have had a look at our branding
and other advices. They are one of the go-to persons if someone out of
the design team has a question. Sometimes they turn the team's attention
to a work, which we get out of sight, by asking one/two per PM or the
whole team by ml.

>> Currently, I hope to be much more helpful by working on the pile of
>> issues assigned to me, helping on the ux-advise list ... and looking at
>> some of the open discussions of the past weeks. For example, it would be
>> nice to know how to continue with smaller and general (seriously
>> developed) UI improvements people ask for regularly.

This is IMHO the main part a ux design leader has to do.

Some other part is what Astron made in the last time.

Just my 2 Eurocent.

--
Grüße
k-j

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [info] design leads

Hi Klaus-Jürgen, hi Michel, all!

First, thanks Klaus-Jürgen for your reply ... yesterday, we again had a
full-day workshop and so I didn't feel like posting too weird thoughts
to the list ;-)

Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2012, 17:35 +0100 schrieb klaus-jürgen weghorn
ol:

> Am 25.01.2012 15:38, schrieb Michel RENON:
> > Le 23/01/12 22:07, Christoph Noack a écrit :
> [...]
>
> >> Now, I see two "N.N." who need to be filled in the mid-term ... so what
> >> do you think? How to go on? Anybody there who might accept to guide the
> >> direction of this team?
> >
> > What actions/responsabilities are expected from the leader ?
> > What is expected to apply ?
>
> I think it is a job like a facility manager/consierge or - if this
> sounds a little bit better - a mentor.
> The lead should have a look on the different work that come up on one of
> the two parts of the design team (vi (visual identity) and ux (user
> experience)), sometimes coordinate it a bit, give some advices.

I think that frames it very well. Although just anybody can pick up
things and organize what is important - there is no real need to be
called a leader. In fact, this project isn't that much about leadership,
it is about meritocracy. Thus, if somebody has a proven track record of
doing cool stuff (tm), then he automatically leads somehow.

So why did we have that "leader" voting before? Because we are still a
young project with - especially in our team - topics where "opinion of
an individual" looks as valid as "fact based on research". Plus, it
really helps to know what goes on in other teams, otherwise the
"guidance" might lead into the wrong direction.

[...]

> > Il would allow them to share the pressure, the decisions, the knowledge,
> > and also one can take some rest without disturbing the project.
>
> Our design leads (Bernhard and Christoph) were not like chairmans. They
> don't make the decisions, they "only" start the votings and discussions
> if no one else do this. Of course they have had a look at our branding
> and other advices. They are one of the go-to persons if someone out of
> the design team has a question. Sometimes they turn the team's attention
> to a work, which we get out of sight, by asking one/two per PM or the
> whole team by ml.

By the way, if anybody wants to get some feedback on any issue ... feel
free to ask. There are some very knowledgeable people on this list.

[...]

Cheers,
Christoph

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: [info] design leads

Hi Christoph, Klaus-Jürgen, Michel,

On 26 January 2012 21:00, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think it is a job like a facility manager/consierge or - if this
>> sounds a little bit better - a mentor.
>> The lead should have a look on the different work that come up on one of
>> the two parts of the design team (vi (visual identity) and ux (user
>> experience)), sometimes coordinate it a bit, give some advices.
>
> I think that frames it very well.

I guess I second that ... I would have almost sent an own mail that
would have said almost the same things. Even down to the words "go-to
person" and "mentor".

Although just anybody can pick up
> things and organize what is important - there is no real need to be
> called a leader. In fact, this project isn't that much about leadership,
> it is about meritocracy. Thus, if somebody has a proven track record of
> doing cool stuff (tm), then he automatically leads somehow.

Then, why not just call what we used to call "leads" "mentors", as
other parts of the project do, too?

I'd be happy to (at least kind of) fulfil such a role ... even if I am
not quite trusting my mentoring skills and as for professional
background in UX, I lack quite a bit, in contrary to Christoph. But
I'll try to be friendly and such...

Now, Christoph, just to say that, it makes me tremendously happy that
you want to stay with LibreOffice even though you now have a family,
as I am pretty sure there is no else on this list that has both the
professional background that you have and is so enthusiastic about the
product.

By the way, you said, you were quite happy about how 3.5 turned out
and it's correct there are some really nice things, many of which you
helped build, like the headers/footers stuff and the named ranges
dialogue. What's huge to me is that we're finally bundling a grammar
checker (if only for English, Russian and Hungarian).
Nevertheless, there's a lot to do for 3.6. Here's laundry list of
things I'd really love to use in the next few versions (in no
particular order):
* simpler colour dialogues,
* more modeless dialogues,
* fewer, but prettier icons and better-organised icon themes,
* simpler options,
* the overflow menu,
* stable GTK+3 port (and better system integration in general),
* addition of modeless information bars, some automatic alignment of
UI elements as well as logical grouping of elements in VCL
* graphical UI editor (so it becomes easier for both us and also the
devs to create new UI)
* fleshed-out branding (there's quite an amount of things that didn't
seem so important initially, like for instance extensions, generic
templates, business cards or the printer admin that use somewhat
suboptimal icons)
* ...
(I will be happy to try and help with any of those things.)

> So why did we have that "leader" voting before? Because we are still a
> young project with - especially in our team - topics where "opinion of
> an individual" looks as valid as "fact based on research". Plus, it
> really helps to know what goes on in other teams, otherwise the
> "guidance" might lead into the wrong direction.

Thanks for that clarification from your side.
I agree, communication not just with developers, but also
accessibility, documentation, marketing and users is really
important... (my list is probably non-exhaustive)

Astron.