insert special characters

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

insert special characters

Good morning
At home I am using LibreOffice 6.0.5.2 (Windows 10)
In my office I use a little older version (not sure about that version
number).

In the office I do: Alt+P -> open special character dialog -> select a
character -> Enter
When I repeat this operation a little later and want to use the SAME
character,
it used to be selected already and all I had to do was press Enter.

At home this does not work any more.
I have to repeat to entire procedure: Alt+P -> open special character
dialog -> select a character -> Enter.
Is this an "improvement" (of obscure meaning) I have to live with,
or is there a trick that would give me the functionality I am enjoying
in my office?

Thank you.
Thomas

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

Re: insert special characters

On 2018/08/22 17:30, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 11:31 22/08/2018 +0900, you wrote:
>> In the office I do: Alt+P -> open special character dialog -> select
>> a character -> Enter
>
> Is that Alt+I, P?
It is Alt+P.
Since I do not recall having set this shortcut key, I believe it is the
default setting.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: insert special characters

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 wrote
>> Is that Alt+I, P?
> It is Alt+P.
> Since I do not recall having set this shortcut key, I believe it is the
> default setting.

No, it is not a default "Short-cut" and never has been, rather it is an
algorithm assigned "accelerator" generated for the Insert menu--it will vary
based on locale.

So, here the accelerator would be <Alt> -> I  ->P,  for S_p_ecial Character,
and <Enter>--accelerators have different scope than shortcuts, applying only
to the menu where shown.

However, you can set a Shortcut for <Alt>+P (or any other unassigned key)
from the Tools -> Customize dialog.

You would assign  a Keyboard shortcut against the "Symbol" function to
directly launch the Special Character dialog.

At the 6.0 release the dialog includes a bar with recently used glyphs and
favorites.

At the 6.1 release the standard toolbar includes a hidden split button
Special Character popup for easy glyph reuse, you can show that. And the
split button will become the default for the 6.2 release.