insert unicode char in writer

gcatlast gcatlast

insert unicode char in writer

Hi
I would like to be able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc but cant find a way to do this directly. Insert special char doesnt seem to be able to find the chars i want, but maybe i'm not doing something right. I have a workaround using calc; i can enter the hex codes as text (row 1) and (row 2) use a formula =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(A1)) filled acrosd adjacent column and finally copy row 2 and paste as unformatted text into writer. This works but is rather longwinded to say the least. It does show that its not a problem with the font or with writer's ability to display the required chars; its just that i'd like a way to enter them directly into the writer documext.
The chars in question were hex A723, A725, 1E25, 1E2B, 1E96, 0161 (this one i *could* use insert special char), 1E6F, 1E0F.
Build 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1

Thanks
/Gary

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: insert unicode char in writer

Hi Gary,

Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
> Hi
> I would like to be able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc but cant find a way to do this directly.

Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example. Alt+X is a toggle. You
can use it also to look, which code a character has.

Insert special char doesnt seem to be able to find the chars i want, but
maybe i'm not doing something right.

The special character dialog works, but you need to know which font has
a glyph for the character. Otherwise the character will not be shown in
the selection pane.

  I have a workaround using calc; i can enter the hex codes as text (row
1) and (row 2) use a formula =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(A1)) filled acrosd
adjacent column and finally copy row 2 and paste as unformatted text
into writer. This works but is rather longwinded to say the least. It
does show that its not a problem with the font or with writer's ability
to display the required chars; its just that i'd like a way to enter
them directly into the writer documext.
> The chars in question were hex A723, A725, 1E25, 1E2B, 1E96, 0161 (this one i *could* use insert special char), 1E6F, 1E0F.
> Build 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1

Have you looked, whether Ubuntu has a direct input method? On Windows it
is possible to use the numpad for direct input, although I prefer the
U+hexnumber method of LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
>> Hi
>> I would like to be able to insert some unicode characters into writer
>> doc but cant find a way to do this directly.
>
> Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example. Alt+X is a toggle. You
> can use it also to look, which code a character has.

(snip)

> Have you looked, whether Ubuntu has a direct input method? On Windows it
> is possible to use the numpad for direct input, although I prefer the
> U+hexnumber method of LibreOffice.

On Linux Mint, you can:
- Press Ctrl+Shift+U; an underlined "u" is shown
- Enter the Unicode hex number (e.g. 0161)
- Press space; the underlined "u0161" is replaced with "š" (a space is
not inserted; that just ends entry of the character)

The same probably works on Ubuntu. This has the advantage that it works
the same for any application, not just LibreOffice. On the other hand,
you can't reverse the operation to see the Unicode value for an existing
character simply by pressing the same combination again. Which you use
(if either) is a matter of personal preference (personally I can never
remember either shortcut on the few occasions I need it, so usually end
up using the special character dialog or copy & pasting!)

Of course, you still need a font which includes a glyph for the
character for it to be displayed.

--
Mark.

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: insert unicode char in writer

Thanks for reply,  alt+X is exactly what i need. The font in question (liberation sans/serif) as i say  *does* have the characters but i still cant seem to get them in the special chars dialog.
Thanks
/G.

 Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] insert unicode char in writer
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Friday, 28 September, 2018, 11:52

 Hi Gary,

 Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
 > Hi
 > I would like to be
 able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc but
 cant find a way to do this directly.

 Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example.
 Alt+X is a toggle. You
 can use it also to
 look, which code a character has.

 Insert special char doesnt seem to be able to
 find the chars i want, but
 maybe i'm
 not doing something right.

 The special character dialog works, but you
 need to know which font has
 a glyph for the
 character. Otherwise the character will not be shown in
 the selection pane.

   I have
 a workaround using calc; i can enter the hex codes as text
 (row
 1) and (row 2) use a formula
 =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(A1)) filled acrosd
 adjacent column and finally copy row 2 and
 paste as unformatted text
 into writer. This
 works but is rather longwinded to say the least. It
 does show that its not a problem with the font
 or with writer's ability
 to display the
 required chars; its just that i'd like a way to enter

 them directly into the writer documext.
 > The chars in question were hex A723, A725,
 1E25, 1E2B, 1E96, 0161 (this one i *could* use insert
 special char), 1E6F, 1E0F.
 > Build
 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1

 Have you looked, whether Ubuntu has a direct
 input method? On Windows it
 is possible to
 use the numpad for direct input, although I prefer the
 U+hexnumber method of LibreOffice.

 Kind regards
 Regina

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: insert unicode char in writer

It looks to me as though U+A723 is actually not supported by
Liberation Sans or Serif and that a font replacement is happening,
although no font replacements are specified in my Options >
LibreOffice > Fonts. I don't know how to identify which font is
actually being used for the character. (LO 6.0.4.2, Windows 7)

- Robert

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
>> Hi
>> I would like to be able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc
> but cant find a way to do this directly.
>
> Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example. Alt+X is a toggle. You
> can use it also to look, which code a character has.

This is a nice feature that I didn't know about. It doesn't seem to be
included at
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer
Thanks.

- Robert

Luis Iglesias Luis Iglesias

Re: insert unicode char in writer

> Enviados: Domingo, 30 de Septiembre 2018 15:21:31
> Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] insert unicode char in writer

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, Regina Henschel wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
>>> Hi
>>> I would like to be able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc
>> but cant find a way to do this directly.
>>
>> Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example. Alt+X is a toggle. You
>> can use it also to look, which code a character has.
>
> This is a nice feature that I didn't know about. It doesn't seem to be
> included at
> https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer
> Thanks.
>
> - Robert

It's not a Writer shortcut, but a general LibreOffice shortcut.
You can check it in Tools > Customize > Keyboard > Shortcut Keys.
You must check [x] LibreOffice instead of [x] Writer to see "Toggle Unicode Notacion" bound to "Alt+X".

Anyway it's not included either in
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/General_Shortcut_Keys_in (last edited in 2016)

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: insert unicode char in writer

Hi Robert
I don't *think* a replacement font is happening  - though i'm no expert. I can start a new text document which starts with liberation serif and enter u+a723 followed by   alt+x and get the character ok. So unless font substitution occurs automatically, transparently and with absolutely no indication, with LO searching all loaded fonts until it finds one with the character...... maybe it does that, but it would seem to me to be undesirable because what if more than one loaded font had the character, on what basis would the choice be made? Surely, that's something the document author ought to decide. But how would the author know that a replacement was necessary at all? Or maybe it's different in windows and ubuntu?
I haven't a clue.
Best,
/G.

 To: "Gary Collins" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: [hidden email]
 Date: Saturday, 29 September, 2018, 16:29

 It looks to me as though U+A723
 is actually not supported by
 Liberation
 Sans or Serif and that a font replacement is happening,
 although no font replacements are specified in
 my Options >
 LibreOffice > Fonts. I
 don't know how to identify which font is
 actually being used for the character. (LO
 6.0.4.2, Windows 7)

 -
 Robert

 wrote:

 Re: [libreoffice-users] insert unicode char in writer
 > To: [hidden email]
 > Date: Friday, 28 September, 2018, 11:52
 >
 > Hi Gary,
 >
 > Gary Collins schrieb
 am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
 > > Hi
 > > I would like to be
 > able to insert some unicode characters
 into writer doc but
 > cant find a way to
 do this directly.

 Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example.
 > Alt+X is a toggle. You
 > can use it also to

 look, which code a character has.

 > Insert special char doesnt seem to be able
 > find the chars i want, but
 > maybe i'm
 > not
 doing something right.

 > The special character dialog works, but
 you
 > need to know which font has
 > a glyph for the

 character. Otherwise the character will not be shown in
 > the selection pane.
 >
 >   I have
 > a workaround using calc; i can enter the
 hex codes as text
 > (row
 > 1) and (row 2) use a formula
 > =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(A1)) filled acrosd
 > adjacent column and finally copy row 2
 and
 > paste as unformatted text
 > into writer. This

 works but is rather longwinded to say the least. It
 > does show that its not a problem with the
 font
 > or with writer's ability
 > to display the

 required chars; its just that i'd like a way to enter

 > them directly into
 the writer documext.
 > > The chars in
 question were hex A723, A725,
 > 1E25,
 1E2B, 1E96, 0161 (this one i *could* use insert
 > special char), 1E6F, 1E0F.
 > > Build

 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1

 > Have you looked, whether Ubuntu has a
 direct
 > input method? On Windows it
 > is possible to
 > use
 the numpad for direct input, although I prefer the
 > U+hexnumber method of LibreOffice.
 >
 > Kind regards
 > Regina

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: insert unicode char in writer

Gary -

That's precisely what I think I saw - font substitution occurring
automatically, transparently and with absolutely no indication that I
could find. This was under Windows 7. I suspect that it's the same
under Linux but I haven't checked.

- Robert

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 09:59 03/10/2018 +0000, Gary Collins wrote:

>I don't *think* a replacement font is happening - though i'm no
>expert. I can start a new text document which starts with liberation
>serif and enter u+a723 followed by alt+x and get the character ok.
>So unless font substitution occurs automatically, transparently and
>with absolutely no indication, with LO searching all loaded fonts
>until it finds one with the character...... maybe it does that, but
>it would seem to me to be undesirable because what if more than one
>loaded font had the character, on what basis would the choice be
>made? Surely, that's something the document author ought to decide.
>But how would the author know that a replacement was necessary at
>all? Or maybe it's different in windows and ubuntu?

This is fairly easy to understand if you remember that word processor
document files (and similar) generally do not contain fonts at all.
Yes: really! Instead, they just contain the *names* (and perhaps more
details) of required fonts. The required glyphs from any fonts for
*all* characters in your document are provided at the viewing or
printing end, either from the same font, another font with the same
name, another font with a similar name, or perhaps a suitably similar
font - serif for serif, sans for sans, and so on. This is one reason
why such documents often do not appear identical when displayed or
printed on any other computer.

(As I explained to you privately) if you look for a character in
Special Character..., you will see a glyph only if it exists in that
font. But if you paste material in, surely you will see font
substitution in action? Just try changing the font of any unusual
characters you have as well as more common characters; you may see a
visible difference in what happens as a result of any necessary substitution.

It seems to me that this substitution needs to happen for all word
processor and similar documents, so must happen also in all operating
systems. I think you can see this if you unpack an Open Document
Format document file and observe the font indications.

Remember also that if you send word processor documents to others,
you are relying on font availability and substitution at the far end
to display what you require. If your characters are sufficiently
unusual, it is just possible that any receiving system may not have a
font that includes them. This is where PDFs come in, since they are
different, incorporating subsets of required fonts. That's one of the
facets that makes them "P" (for "Portable").

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: insert unicode char in writer

Brian Barker wrote
> ... If your characters are sufficiently
> unusual, it is just possible that any receiving system may not have a
> font that includes them. This is where PDFs come in, since they are
> different, incorporating subsets of required fonts. That's one of the
> facets that makes them "P" (for "Portable").

Exactly, but would caution that while LibreOffice filter handling of PDF is
now *very* good when "inserting" a PDF as an image (it is pdfium based and
will use the embedded fonts correctly to render the PDF as image) but it
will perform exactly the same font substitution and fallback when the PDF is
filter imported and opened in Draw (default) or  Calc, Writer, or Impress.

LibreOffice's hybrid-PDF solves much of this, but folks should understand
that LibreOffice is not and can *never* be a PDF editor.

Stuart

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

Re: insert unicode char in writer

It is good that LO hybrid pdf is not and can be ever be a pdf editor..
If we

wanted the real  thing spyware on our machines we would use it instead
of LO..