install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

krackedpress krackedpress

install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

I just upgraded 3.4.6 on an XP laptop to 3.5.4 to test it out.

I just noticed that EVERY extension that I had installed were not
carried over to 3.5.4, even though during the install process the status
wording looked like it was going to.

So, it that an error for 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 or was that a part of the 3.3.x
to 3.4.x upgrading as well?

I will be reinstalling the extensions, but I really do not remember
needing to do that before.

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

On 02/06/2012 at 16:52, "webmaster-Kracked_P_P" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So, it that an error for 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 or was that a part of the 3.3.x
> to 3.4.x upgrading as well?

Don't know about other systems, but on Linux 3.5 introduced new profile
directory. Maybe transition did not go smoothly and something was left behind.

Previous directory was ~/.libreoffice/3/user/ . New one is ~/.config/libreoffice/
(not sure about "3/user/" part). There is "extension" directory - maybe manual
copying it will help. Of course try it only when LO is completely closed.

HTH
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Le 02/06/12 16:52, webmaster-Kracked_P_P a écrit :

Hi,

> I just noticed that EVERY extension that I had installed were not
> carried over to 3.5.4, even though during the install process the status
> wording looked like it was going to.
>
> So, it that an error for 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 or was that a part of the 3.3.x
> to 3.4.x upgrading as well?

I have seen this in many of the "upgrade" installations on Mac - each
time I have to either delete my user profile or re-install the
extensions, and I'm getting fed up with it.

Alex

Tom Tom

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Hi :)
I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of

cp
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/3/user
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/config/LibreOffice/3/user

Errr, i know you know cp = copy on a Gnu&Linux command-line but i don't know the equivalent in Mac.  I would probably do this the click&drag gui way tbh.

Tom Tom

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of

cp
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/3/user
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/config/LibreOffice/3/user

Errr, i know you know cp = copy on a Gnu&Linux command-line but i don't know the equivalent in Mac.  I would probably do this the click&drag gui way tbh.  Can you do soemthing like this on Macs?  Do you have old back-ups of your user profile at a point when it was working well?

Le 02/06/12 16:52, webmaster-Kracked_P_P a écrit :

Hi,

> I just noticed that EVERY extension that I had installed were not
> carried over to 3.5.4, even though during the install process the status
> wording looked like it was going to.
>
> So, it that an error for 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 or was that a part of the 3.3.x
> to 3.4.x upgrading as well?

I have seen this in many of the "upgrade" installations on Mac - each
time I have to either delete my user profile or re-install the
extensions, and I'm getting fed up with it.

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Le 03/06/12 11:03, Tom Davies a écrit :

Hi Tom,

> Hi :)
> I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of

In theory, yes. In practice, YMMV. I always now systematically rename my
LO user profile before installing a new version, then install the new
version, start it once, and then replace the user profile created with
my previously backed up one. It sucks that one should have to do this in
order to preseve one's settings. I know of no other app where this is
the case.

> Errr, i know you know cp = copy on a Gnu&Linux command-line but i don't know the equivalent in Mac.  I would probably do this the click&drag gui way tbh.

It is the same on Mac if one uses the Terminal.app ;-), but there's no
real need to do so in such a case, the GUI is just fine ;-)

Alex

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Tom
as the OP of this thread, my real issue was while it was "upgrading" the
status text indicated to me that is was going to transfer my user
profile info and such.  It did not do the proper job if it decided to
transfer only the user name and other such data, and not all of the
extensions he/she relies on.

I thin someone said that the 3.5.x like uses a different folder for the
user data.  If so, maybe there is an error in the copying of that info
to the new folder before that old folder was erased.

I have not tried this 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 on a Ubuntu system, only a WinXP
laptop.  There must be a fix to this issue.

Can you imagine what a business type of user has to go through to move
10, 50, 100 machines, using Windows, from 3.4.6 to a 3.5.x version if
they have to reinstall ALL of their extensions, along with dealing with
the custom install process to not have every single language dictionary
possible during install automatically installed?

Tom Tom

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Hi :)
The 3.5.x branch definitely does use a different folder for the users settings.  For soem reason i got confused and gave the old and the new paths for Macs but the Windows pathname change is similar.  For pre-Vista versions of Windows it used to be

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\LibreOffice\3\user\

But with the 3.5.x has changed to

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\config\LibreOffice\3\user\

If the upgrade process is claiming that it copies the folders and then doesn't that is really bad.  If it still deletes the old folder than it's appalling!  Losing data is one of the worst things that can happen in any system!  Time for you to post a bug-report if you can!
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

I still haven't tested the upgrade feature.  I uninstall the old one and then 'reinstall' the new and then remember i was meant to take a copy of the first UserProfile folder and cuss and then do the least amount possible to set-up the profile but inevitably forget 1 or a few users and cuss again.  Luckily it's only about a dozen machines now but i really need to be more organised so i can scale-up or at least do it more reliably and faster.

as the OP of this thread, my real issue was while it was "upgrading" the status text indicated to me that is was going to transfer my user profile info and such.  It did not do the proper job if it decided to transfer only the user name and other such data, and not all of the extensions he/she relies on.

I think someone said that the 3.5.x branch uses a different folder/path for the user data.  If so, maybe there is an error in the copying of that info to the new folder before that old folder was erased.

I have not tried this 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 on a Ubuntu system, only a WinXP laptop.  There must be a fix to this issue.

Can you imagine what a business type of user has to go through to move 10, 50, 100 machines, using Windows, from 3.4.6 to a 3.5.x version if they have to reinstall ALL of their extensions, along with dealing with the custom install process to not have every single language dictionary possible during install automatically installed?

On 06/03/2012 05:04 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of
>
> cp
> /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/3/user
> /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/config/LibreOffice/3/user
>

> Errr, i know you know cp = copy on a Gnu&Linux command-line but i don't know the equivalent in Mac.  I would probably do this the click&drag gui way tbh.  Can you do soemthing like this on Macs?  Do you have old back-ups of your user profile at a point when it was working well? Regards from
> Tom :)

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 03.06.2012 11:28, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 03/06/12 11:03, Tom Davies a écrit :
>
> Hi Tom,
>
>> Hi :)
>> I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of
>
> In theory, yes. In practice, YMMV. I always now systematically rename my
> LO user profile before installing a new version, then install the new
> version, start it once, and then replace the user profile created with
> my previously backed up one. It sucks that one should have to do this in
> order to preseve one's settings. I know of no other app where this is
> the case.

IMHO, this is completely inacceptable because this program's
productivity depends very much on customization.
You can zip your profile and send it to the developers with detailed
info about your system and which upgrade was spoiled by that particular
profile.
According to exprerience with parallel installations, extensions are the
main culprit. You may try to remove all your additional extensions
before installation and see if this helps somehow.

Tom Tom

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Hi :)
Ouch!  I'm glad we have managed to avoid saying it sucks!  (oops)

I was really hoping the sensible way would work.  Ideally i had imagined copying the old user-profile all around the place and then installing the newer LO so that 'a few' (hopefully not too many) settings might get changed or added.  I'm sure it has worked for me but i haven't been taking much notice tbh.

Mostly i just reconfigure whichever machine i happen to be hot-desking on but not in a structured and planned way.  I've noticed users who complain about a thing not being set a certain way tend to set it back after i take the trouble to set it up the way they said they wanted.  So, i tend to set things the way i prefer on my logins and leave them to it.  I need to be more organised though.  The xcu thing looks interesting.

Am 03.06.2012 11:28, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 03/06/12 11:03, Tom Davies a écrit :
>
> Hi Tom,
>
>> Hi :)
>> I thought it was possible to copy user-profiles between different machines?  Even between ones running different OSes?  Is it not possible to copy&paste the Extensions folder from the old folder position to the new one?  Something like the equivalent of
>
> In theory, yes. In practice, YMMV. I always now systematically rename my
> LO user profile before installing a new version, then install the new
> version, start it once, and then replace the user profile created with
> my previously backed up one. It sucks that one should have to do this in
> order to preseve one's settings. I know of no other app where this is
> the case.

IMHO, this is completely inacceptable because this program's productivity depends very much on customization.
You can zip your profile and send it to the developers with detailed info about your system and which upgrade was spoiled by that particular profile.
According to exprerience with parallel installations, extensions are the main culprit. You may try to remove all your additional extensions before installation and see if this helps somehow.

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

What I hated was the status text seemed to tell me that the profile [all
of it] was being transfered over.  I thought that part of your profile
was the extensions you added.  I know if I delete the .libreoffice file
in Ubuntu you loose the link to your added extensions.   DID 3.5.x
replace the folder name or change where the information is stored?

JW JW

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

webmaster-Kracked_P_P <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What I hated was the status text seemed to tell me that the profile [all
>of it] was being transfered over.  I thought that part of your profile
>was the extensions you added.  I know if I delete the .libreoffice file
>in Ubuntu you loose the link to your added extensions.   DID 3.5.x
>replace the folder name or change where the information is stored?
>
>On 06/03/2012 11:48 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> Ouch!  I'm glad we have managed to avoid saying it sucks!  (oops)
>>
>> I was really hoping the sensible way would work.  Ideally i had imagined copying the old user-profile all around the place and then installing the newer LO so that 'a few' (hopefully not too many) settings might get changed or added.  I'm sure it has worked for me but i haven't been taking much notice tbh.
>>
>> Mostly i just reconfigure whichever machine i happen to be hot-desking on but not in a structured and planned way.  I've noticed users who complain about a thing not being set a certain way tend to set it back after i take the trouble to set it up the way they said they wanted.  So, i tend to set things the way i prefer on my logins and leave them to it.  I need to be more organised though.  The xcu thing looks interesting.
>>
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Not Business ready then?

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> > I just noticed that EVERY extension that I had installed were not
> > carried over to 3.5.4, even though during the install process the status
> > wording looked like it was going to.
> >
> > So, it that an error for 3.4.6 to 3.5.4 or was that a part of the 3.3.x
> > to 3.4.x upgrading as well?
> >

> I have seen this in many of the "upgrade" installations on Mac - each
> time I have to either delete my user profile or re-install the
> extensions, and I'm getting fed up with it.

Hi Alex, *,

do we have a bug report for that, please? Preferrably with a
zipped-up copy of the original ~/.libreoffice/3/... profile to
replay the scenario?

If this contains potentially confidential information, feel free to
PM that to me.

Thanks,

-- Thorsten

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: install of 3.5.4 over 3.4.6 removed all my extensions

Le 04/06/12 18:09, Thorsten Behrens a écrit :

Hi Thorsten,

> Hi Alex, *,
>
> do we have a bug report for that, please? Preferrably with a
> zipped-up copy of the original ~/.libreoffice/3/... profile to
> replay the scenario?

Well it would have contained some confidential information, but
unfortunately, I went through the rigmarole of
de-installing/re-installing my extensions, after having wiped the
corrupt user profile from my disk, so...I have nothing to show for it,
sorry  :-/, hence no bug report.

After a while, one becomes a bit blasé about the whole thing...

Alex