is MSFT running scared ...

anne-ology anne-ology

is MSFT running scared ...

       ... maybe not, but this makes me wonder why they were promoting this
new OS and now are plugging a how-to re. it  ;-)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/get-free-book-windows-8-microsoft-press.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29

       As for me, I'm very thankful there's LO, and with such a great
help-list of fellow users  :-)

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

On 01/21/2013 10:41 AM, anne-ology wrote:
>         ... maybe not, but this makes me wonder why they were promoting this
> new OS and now are plugging a how-to re. it  ;-)
>
> http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/get-free-book-windows-8-microsoft-press.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29
>
>         As for me, I'm very thankful there's LO, and with such a great
> help-list of fellow users  :-)

The articles I have read seem to tell Win7 users to forget to upgrade to
Win8 if you do not have a touch screen.

MS's tablet has had low sales figures, much lower than expected or the
hype would let you believe.

So, giving tech people a free e-book about Win8 is a way for them to
promote that OS.

I have heard from a few business users where they took their Win8
upgrade and "degrade" it back to XP or Win7.  So maybe MS needs to
convince the business users to buy the Win8 upgrade or even new Win8
systems, instead of upgrading to, and/or buying, systems with, Win7.

I just upgraded 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7/pro instead of the cheaper
priced Win8 deal.  I have it on a laptop that is a dual boot for 64-bit
Win7/pro and 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 [with MATE desktop environment].  That
upgrade "killed" the dual booting so I need to use the repair disk.  The
way I have read seems to be that Win8 would do something with that
laptop where it would not be able to dual even after the boot fixing
disk. I use the laptop for my main Windows laptop and the Ubuntu boot is
where I test out the new version[s] of the OS before I install it onto
my main "production" desktop.  I hate the Unity desktop for Ubuntu, so
why would I buy Win8 with the same type of desktop "tile" look and feel.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

       same here;
           when I had to purchase a new laptop - previous one's HD was
failing - I received the free option to upgrade to WIN8,
              but have no intention of so doing due to all the negative
comments I've heard of that OS.

       Thus, when I saw this item, I thought all of you computer whizzes on
this list would be interested  ;-)

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P <
[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/21/2013 10:41 AM, anne-ology wrote:

>>         ... maybe not, but this makes me wonder why they were promoting
>> this
>> new OS and now are plugging a how-to re. it  ;-)
>>
>> http://www.techsupportalert.**com/content/get-free-book-**
>> windows-8-microsoft-press.htm?**utm_source=feedburner&utm_**
>> medium=email&utm_campaign=**Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%**
>> 27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29<http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/get-free-book-windows-8-microsoft-press.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29>
>>
>>         As for me, I'm very thankful there's LO, and with such a great
>> help-list of fellow users  :-)
>>

> The articles I have read seem to tell Win7 users to forget to upgrade to
> Win8 if you do not have a touch screen.
>
> MS's tablet has had low sales figures, much lower than expected or the
> hype would let you believe.
>
> So, giving tech people a free e-book about Win8 is a way for them to
> promote that OS.
>
> I have heard from a few business users where they took their Win8 upgrade
> and "degrade" it back to XP or Win7.  So maybe MS needs to convince the
> business users to buy the Win8 upgrade or even new Win8 systems, instead of
> upgrading to, and/or buying, systems with, Win7.
>
> I just upgraded 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7/pro instead of the cheaper
> priced Win8 deal.  I have it on a laptop that is a dual boot for 64-bit
> Win7/pro and 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 [with MATE desktop environment].  That
> upgrade "killed" the dual booting so I need to use the repair disk.  The
> way I have read seems to be that Win8 would do something with that laptop
> where it would not be able to dual even after the boot fixing disk. I use
> the laptop for my main Windows laptop and the Ubuntu boot is where I test
> out the new version[s] of the OS before I install it onto my main
> "production" desktop.  I hate the Unity desktop for Ubuntu, so why would I
> buy Win8 with the same type of desktop "tile" look and feel.

Tom Tom

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

There is always 'unexpectedly low' take-up of Windows newest OS when it first gets released.  Historically corporate users have learned to leave it until after at least the first Service Pack gets released.  One time MS tried to boost sales by claiming that Service Pack 1 was included in the initial release.

Usually there is a requirement to upgrade quite a bit of hardware in order to run the newer version of Windows and that creates reluctance until people have had time to save-up or plan for rolling out new hardware for the new OS.

Installing Windows always installs their boot-loader (used to be "ntldr") which overwrites the MBR of the hard-drive and then ignores any other OSes on the machine so that you can only boot into Windows.  To reinstate your MBR just boot into a LIveCd or LiveUsb or some other way of booting into a Gnu&Linux and just repair or reinstall just the boot-loader of your distro.  You don't need a special recovery or repair disk although those sorts of things are just one way to boot into a Gnu&Linux.  You also don't need to reinstall the entire distro.  It's just a case of repairing your boot-loader.  One of the final steps of the repair involves 'updating' your boot-loader and if that is one on a unix-based platform (such as Gnu&Linux, Bsd or whatever) then it picks up the new version of Windows that your just installed.  Fixing the Mbr is really easy once you have done it once.

Typically Windows seem to have 1 bad version followed by 1 good one and then the next is bad.  Vista was apparently so bad that many people said they "upgraded" from Vista back to Xp.  Even though that was a backwards step many considered it an upgrade.  Win7 was quite good.  Before Xp was Millenium which was generally considered so appalling that people are more likely to have heard of Win98.  So, people might be expecting Win8 to be another dead OS.

However there is also often quite strong resistance to new things.  Especially to new versions of Windows.  people have just about become familiar with the older one and don't like the newer ways of doing things and the fact that it's difficult to find things or work out how to deal with issues that they had just learned how to solve on the previous.  With Gnu&Linux it doesn't matter what changes happen to the DE you can always modify it or even just install the old one on your new OS.

>________________________________

Maybe you should give the URL for the Linux-based boot repair disk [.iso
file download].  I do not remember it it.

I have two different disk type/names.

"boot-repair-disk.iso" - 355 MB

"ubuntu-secure-remix-12.10-32-bit.iso" - 787 MB
"ubuntu-secure-remix-12.10-64-bit.iso" - 797.1 MB

I think I used the "boot-repair-disk" version since all you had to do
was choose your OS version/type you are using.  I think I remember
correctly that there was only 4 buttons to choose from once the disk/OS
booted up.

My Dell laptop had 32-bit Vista even though 64-bit Vista was out and
working.  Too cheap maybe to include it, since it cost us more for the
64-bit version back then.  I just upgraded that dual boot laptop 64-bit
Win7 professional from 32-bit Vista and 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 from 12.04
version.  Win7/pro killed the dual booting till I ran the "repair
disk".  I tend to use the Ubuntu boot for the testing of the newest
version of Ubuntu [10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04 to 12.10]
before I upgrade it on my "production desktop".  I upgraded the Vista to
Win7/pro [64-bit] so I can have a working 64-bit Windows OS on one of my
systems without going to Win8, since I do not have any touch screens
except on my Android 4.0 tablet.

Actually, I wonder if Win7 or Win8 would break the dual [or triple]
booting a laptop if both boot partitions were running a Windows OS
before one was upgraded from XP or Vista to Win7 or Win8?  Would Windows
break the multi-boot if there would be two+ Windows OSs on the same
system but in different boot partitions?

Windows 2000 was for business based on Win NT, while Win Millennium was
for the home user based on Win98.  Millennium was worse than Vista ever
was and most users I dealt with switched to Win 2000 till XP [home or
professional]  came out.

Win8 look and feel is a reworking of their failed smart phone OS. They
decided that they still liked it and moved it to the Win8 tablet OS.
BUT, someone had the bad idea of wanting all of "your" Windows based
systems to look and "feel" the same.  I do not want my "production
desktop" to have the "look and feel" of my tablet. I hated Unity's look
and feel when it came out in the Spring of 2011.  Win8 seemed to look
and feel the same.  I read that a large number of Ubuntu user switched
to Mint Linux because of Unity.  If MS would have looked at the
"fallout" when Ubuntu went to Unity, maybe they would have thought twice
about using a tablet looking OS desktop display for their desktop/laptop
OSs.  I kept Ubuntu, but switched to MATE for the desktop environment.

For my opinion what business users in my area will do with new Win8
systems; not buy them if they can get new Win7 systems or downgrade the
new Win8 systems to Win7.  Every business user I have talked to locally
hates the look of Win8 and do not want to have to pay for the training
to get their users to be able to use it.  XP/Vista to Win7 was a little
change, but XP/Vista/Win7 to Win8 was a real big change that needs a lot
of training.  TV ads for retail computer stores use to offer free Win8
training so people could learn how to deal with the big changes.  Well,
those TV ads are all gone, along with most of the Win8 ads [number of
ads per day/week] are gone now.  Almost all of the MS's tablet are gone
now, but there are some major computer companies [like HP] ads about
tablet to laptop convertibles though replacing MS's "tablet with a
keyboard" ads..

On 01/21/2013 04:55 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> There is always 'unexpectedly low' take-up of Windows newest OS when
> it first gets released.  Historically corporate users have learned to
> leave it until after at least the first Service Pack gets released.
> One time MS tried to boost sales by claiming that Service Pack 1 was
> included in the initial release.
>
> Usually there is a requirement to upgrade quite a bit of hardware in
> order to run the newer version of Windows and that creates reluctance
> until people have had time to save-up or plan for rolling out new
> hardware for the new OS.
>
> Installing Windows always installs their boot-loader (used to be
> "ntldr") which overwrites the MBR of the hard-drive and then ignores
> any other OSes on the machine so that you can only boot into Windows.
> To reinstate your MBR just boot into a LIveCd or LiveUsb or some other
> way of booting into a Gnu&Linux and just repair or reinstall just the
> boot-loader of your distro. You don't need a special recovery or
> repair disk although those sorts of things are just one way to boot
> into a Gnu&Linux. You also don't need to reinstall the entire distro.
> It's just a case of repairing your boot-loader.  One of the final
> steps of the repair involves 'updating' your boot-loader and if that
> is one on a unix-based platform (such as Gnu&Linux, Bsd or whatever)
> then it picks up the new version of Windows that your just installed.
> Fixing the Mbr is really easy once you have done it once.
>
> Typically Windows seem to have 1 bad version followed by 1 good one
> and then the next is bad.  Vista was apparently so bad that many
> people said they "upgraded" from Vista back to Xp.  Even though that
> was a backwards step many considered it an upgrade. Win7 was quite
> good.  Before Xp was Millenium which was generally considered so
> appalling that people are more likely to have heard of Win98.  So,
> people might be expecting Win8 to be another dead OS.
>
> However there is also often quite strong resistance to new things.
> Especially to new versions of Windows.  people have just about become
> familiar with the older one and don't like the newer ways of doing
> things and the fact that it's difficult to find things or work out how
> to deal with issues that they had just learned how to solve on the
> previous.  With Gnu&Linux it doesn't matter what changes happen to the
> DE you can always modify it or even just install the old one on your
> new OS.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Tom Tom

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

Hi :)
Yes, installing a new Windows alongside an existing one still does over-write the Mbr and hides all previous versions of Windows as well as any other OSes you have.  It doesn't matter if the newer version is on a different physical drive or on an external drive or anything else.

One trick is to physically unplug the drive with the Mbr you want to save and then install the newer Windows on it's own drive.  it will overwrite the Mbr on it's drive but will leave the unplugged drive's Mbr alone.  Then when you plug in the old drive then hopefully you can set the bios to boot the old drive first.  Of course this means the old drive is unaware of the new install so you'll need to run something like
sudo update-grub
from you old Gnu&Linux distro.

Regards form
Tom :)

>________________________________

That unplugging does not work when you deal with a laptop though.

The "sudo" command only works with a Linux install, or live media.  That
is why I liked the "rescue disk".  You did not need to deal with
commands.  All you had to do was boot it up and press a button or
three.  The rest was automatic.

as for the thread title. . . .
MS was really expecting big income from their Win8 OS and their Win8
tablet.  There seems not to be much less "upgrade" sales that they
predicted.  There tablet failed to catch any real market share.
MSO-2013 is coming out soon, but the info I have read stated that it was
optimized to work with Win8 and its "touch" abilities.  How it will work
with XP, Vista, Win7, or even Win8 with non-touch displays will be the
key.  Also their XML .docx file format [and the others] is not
compatible to the 2007 or 2010 XML abilities so a .docx file created
with 2013 has a very good chance not to be readable within 2007 or
2010.  They do this deliberately to "force" users to upgrade to their
new office product[s].  This was never a good idea in a good economy,
but even worse in todays economic conditions where businesses cannot
afford the new pricing scheme that MSO uses now.

I have read reports showing that MS profits are less and less each
quarter [on average].  I have not read how much their failed tablet has
cost them though.  Still, their profits are greater than most business
out there.  The desktop/laptop market is slowing as the tablet market is
taking more of its market share, but the tablet sales are slowing as
well.  It is the economic conditions, and users for personal and
business systems do not have the capital to buy as much tech as they
once did.

As long as there is a product like LibreOffice that is developing better
and better "filters" to read/write MSO formats, I will not be buying any
MSO products for the foreseeable future.  If MS creates a more sensible
Windows 9 OS, I may think about upgrading my Win7 laptop to it one day,
but not Win8.

As long as I can use Ubuntu, or other Linux OS, for my needs, I will
prefer to use it.  I will have one Windows OS to deal with the required
Windows hardware and software - like defragging external drives.  My TV
and blu-ray devices do not support non-Windows disk formats so I will
still need those large externals to be NTFS and defragged by Windows
from time to time. Then there are the Windows-only software
packages/utilities that deal with "special features" of my
multi-function printers, like their printing of a printable CD/DVD
media's label; or a Windows-only USB video capture device.

On 01/21/2013 08:37 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yes, installing a new Windows alongside an existing one still does
> over-write the Mbr and hides all previous versions of Windows as well
> as any other OSes you have.  It doesn't matter if the newer version is
> on a different physical drive or on an external drive or anything else.
>
> One trick is to physically unplug the drive with the Mbr you want to
> save and then install the newer Windows on it's own drive.  it will
> overwrite the Mbr on it's drive but will leave the unplugged drive's
> Mbr alone.  Then when you plug in the old drive then hopefully you can
> set the bios to boot the old drive first.  Of course this means the
> old drive is unaware of the new install so you'll need to run
> something like
> sudo update-grub
> from you old Gnu&Linux distro.
>
> Regards form
> Tom :)

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

The problem most people I know has with ME was drivers.

The big 2 reasons why I went from Vistas to Win7 were: 1) external drive
issues, 2) support for newer hardware [driver] and software.  It also
helped going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7.

I still have an XP laptop, but there are more and more hardware and
software that wants at least Vista to run, or does not run well on XP.

The only reason to upgrade to Win8, to me, is the advanced touch
options, as long as you have a touch display though.  My only touch
display is on my Android tablet and that will be the case for the
foreseeable future.

doug-2 doug-2

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

On 01/22/2013 11:19 AM, Steven Shelton wrote:,

/snip/
 > I still think XP was the best version of Windows ever produced and I
still run it on my computers when I have the option). I've only had the
smallest amount of time on Windows 8, but it seems apallingly bad and I
have no plans > to EVER put it on any of my systems. - -- Steven Shelton
-----

For a good reliable system, I tend to agree with you, altho Win 7 works
well--for Windows.  If the world were perfect, Windows 98 would have
worked without BSOD all the time, and it would have been the best.
(Of course it was only 16-bit.) But Win 98 still allowed the user some
control over where things were stored and in what user-named
directories, and you could use the 3rd party program whereis to find them,
*but _not_ open them* so you could do something with the file
itself--copy it, move it, email it which you can't do in the later
Windowses. At least not without a lot of grief.  Now i mostly use
PCLinuxOS, except
for just a few instances where programs only run on Windows--programmers
for GPS, and for new ham radios, and WordPerfect and AutoCAD.  (WP still
puts LO to shame, imho.

--doug

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

Tom, et. al.,
Here is another computer system boot issue that should be of concern to
free software, especially OS's:

    http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot

Sleep tight.
Girvin Herr

Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yes, installing a new Windows alongside an existing one still does over-write the Mbr and hides all previous versions of Windows as well as any other OSes you have.  It doesn't matter if the newer version is on a different physical drive or on an external drive or anything else.
>
> One trick is to physically unplug the drive with the Mbr you want to save and then install the newer Windows on it's own drive.  it will overwrite the Mbr on it's drive but will leave the unplugged drive's Mbr alone.  Then when you plug in the old drive then hopefully you can set the bios to boot the old drive first.  Of course this means the old drive is unaware of the new install so you'll need to run something like
> sudo update-grub
> from you old Gnu&Linux distro.
>
> Regards form
> Tom :)
>

>> ________________________________

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

Webmaster,
Not always true.  My HP laptop, admittedly old, has a hard drive that
can be removed fairly easily with a screwdriver.  The trick is to have a
spare drive and mounting frame to install.
Girvin Herr

webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> That unplugging does not work when you deal with a laptop though.

<snip>

Tom Tom

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

Thanks for that.  I found that i hadn't already signed it!  Weird because i thought i signed it ages ago from this email account.

>________________________________

The trick is to find the old style PATA laptop drives, or at least one
that is larger than what is currently in my system.

As for doing swapping of parts, my oldest laptop I currently have
requires you to remove the keyboard to access things like the memory
module.  I bought two 1GB mods. and I had to give up replacing one since
it was under the keyboard and the instructions given my the manual to
access parts below the keyboard was totally wrong and does not work at
all.  So I must keep the 256MB in that one and forget about getting two
mods. installed.  The drive was in too tight to remove safely.  At least
the Optical drive was only two screws, since I have had to replace it
twice during the warranty time.

I know one Win7 laptop my friend has that used two drives to give him
more space than other systems have.  I would love to replace my oldest
laptop's drive larger than the current 80GB and my dual booting one
needs a larger one than the 160GB drive.  Having Win7 and Ubuntu
12.10.MATE on one small drive, does not leave much room for larger data
files.  I rather not buy an external mobile drive that was made to be
used with laptops.  I rather not have to make sure that an external one
is hauled around in a bag with the laptop, packing and unpacking, etc..
It would be much safer to have the data internally to the system.

On 01/22/2013 03:16 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

> Webmaster,
> Not always true.  My HP laptop, admittedly old, has a hard drive that
> can be removed fairly easily with a screwdriver.  The trick is to have
> a spare drive and mounting frame to install.
> Girvin Herr
>

> webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
>>
>> That unplugging does not work when you deal with a laptop though.
>>
> <snip>

Tom Tom

Re: is MSFT running scared ...

Hi :)
The trick is finding the easiest fastest answer for whatever hardware, resources and experience you have at the time.  The best answer for a normal desktop is not likely to be best for a netbook and the best answer for a netbook is likely to be over-complicated compared to other answers available for a normal desktop.  For a normal desktop it's just;
1.  about 2 screws and 1 unplug to avoid needing to fix anything

2.  If you still have a distro's Cd/Dvd or Usb then you can fix it from there.