l10n of LO website(s)

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

l10n of LO website(s)

Hi,

As always I am writing this with best intentions for LO; so: I would like
to point to some problems regarding the l10n of the official LO website(s).

1) There is a new (or updated) string on the download page(s), that is not
localizable:
"Older versions of LibreOffice (may be unsupported!) are available in the
archive" <https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/>
It should be added to pootle to be localized ASAP.

2) The new download page is only available on the English page and still
not localizable or available to l10n sites and in Pootle; I asked for its
availability to localize on this list on April 28th, but got no answer from
anyone responsible for the website.
Here is one of the tickets:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2345

3) Since 2) we are stuck with "old" download page that has only one version
so we duplicate this page for both stable and fresh downloads; but there is
a caveat: the substring " (stable)" is present on both pages, so you can
see how the "fresh" page looks now on the Slovenian and German sites (with
word stable written in the title) - advertising the "fresh" version as the
"stable" one:
https://de.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
https://sl.libreoffice.org/prenosi/najnovejsi-libreoffice/

4) The donation page is also an old one, not available for l10n, so we have
to use old donation page on l10n sites.
I think this is the issue in redmine, there might be more:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2462

5) Someone deleted localized Slovenian pages for Imprint, Privacy Policy
and Credits and replaced them with direct links to English pages, also they
appear in the Slovenian menu as "Imprint", "Privacy Policy" and "Credits".
This was done without contacting me, the maintainer of the Slovenian site.
I understand legal issues with "Privacy Policy" that might have to be in
English, but as editor of the Slovenian website I cannot allow menu items
to be in English nor can I allow pages "Imprint" and "Credits" to appear in
their content in English - please make these pages l10n-able ASAP as
possible. For the time being I removed the "Credits" subpage from the menu
and left the other two for legal issues.
Also I want my localization strings back, I am the author, no one can
delete my work - I need to reuse those strings.

6) I really support this 3-year old ticket, it is essential for us l10n
site maintainers:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/901

7) We have had this discussion but I will reiterate: new extensions website
(design) was introduced on December 2016, but unlike the old one it is
still un-localizable; besides, the new design in not more functional than
the old one and still far beyond the effectiveness of the openoffice site,
as you can compare for yourself:
https://extensions.openoffice.org/
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/

Please someone take care of these issues - if l10n and localized websites
are of any priority to the website team.

Internet and web are about being prompt and there seems to be a problem
with handling the website l10n side at LO/TDF.

Thanks, m.

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hello Martin,

Martin Srebotnjak wrote on 2018-02-08 at 12:42:
> Please someone take care of these issues - if l10n and localized websites
> are of any priority to the website team.

thanks for your mail and sorry to hear there seem to be more issues with
localized websites than I thought. I totally agree with you that l10n is
one of the most important aspects in our community, and I'm sorry to
hear there are issues that discourage people. To be honest, I was not
aware these issues are (still) open.

I will raise this during today's team call to see how we can address
this. A part of the problem, I assume, is that most of these tasks are
exclusively on Cloph's desk, alongside a chunk of other critical items,
so I would like to also look into how we can spread knowledge, access
rights and such to make things easier in the future. Having a bus factor
of one is never good. :-)

I'll see what we can do to address this - thanks for bringing it to our
attention!

Florian

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hello, Florian,

thanks.

I forgot to mention the issue of the font of the website, it has an open
ticket for a long time - not all characters are included in this font
version (so it looks ugly in some languages using more than the basic ascii
character set), and a newer version, that contains more characters, seems
not to work properly ...

Lp, m.

Martin Srebotnjak wrote on 2018-02-13 at 12:30:
> thanks.

apologies again for the unpleasant experience - I simply wasn't aware
there are so many issues, so it's good to get reminded from time to time.

> I forgot to mention the issue of the font of the website, it has an open
> ticket for a long time - not all characters are included in this font
> version (so it looks ugly in some languages using more than the basic ascii
> character set), and a newer version, that contains more characters, seems
> not to work properly ...

I thought Mike had achieved some good progress here around Christmas by
choosing some slightly different font or so; I'll check with him where
we stand and get back to you ASAP.

Florian

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

> I thought Mike had achieved some good progress here around Christmas by
> choosing some slightly different font or so; I'll check with him where
> we stand and get back to you ASAP.

Indeed, I was working on this and it fell down the TODO list a bit with
LibreOffice 6.0 and FOSDEM. Sorry for that. The ticket is here:

https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/412

In short: the website currently uses the Lato font, and using Google's
hosted Lato2 doesn't help either. But if we use our own, self-hosted
Lato2, it appears to fix the problems (at least with Slovene and
Lithuanian).

Scroll down here to "Prost, odprt pisarniški paket":

http://newdesign.libreoffice.org

I pasted in Slovene and Lithuanian text and it appears to be fine in
various browsers. If there are no other objections, I can make the change...

Mike

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi, Mike,

I can again confirm it works for me on macOS in several browsers. I do not
know how much testing this needs ...

If possible, please enable on Slovenian subsite, sl.libreoffice.org ...

Thanks, m.

Antanas Budriūnas Antanas Budriūnas

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi Martin,

> Hi, Mike,
>
> I can again confirm it works for me on macOS in several browsers. I do not
> know how much testing this needs ...
>
> If possible, please enable on Slovenian subsite, sl.libreoffice.org ...
>
> A while ago Mike said he is planning to incorporate new version of the
Lato2 font into production site(s) globally but it is not yet done (as I
understand).
The http://newdesign.libreoffice.org example only demonstrates self-hosted
(on 'newdesign' server) new version of the Lato2 font which fixes issues.

BR

Antanas

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi, Antanas,

>> A while ago Mike said he is planning to incorporate new version of the
> Lato2 font into production site(s) globally but it is not yet done (as I
> understand).
> The http://newdesign.libreoffice.org example only demonstrates
> self-hosted (on 'newdesign' server) new version of the Lato2 font which
> fixes issues.

That's what I wrote, it seems to work for Slovenian, and if cannot be
enabled on the whole site it can be (for the time being) enabled and tested
on the live Slovenian site (if possible).

Lp, m.

On 08/02/2018 12:42, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> Please someone take care of these issues - if l10n and localized websites
> are of any priority to the website team.
>
> Internet and web are about being prompt and there seems to be a problem
> with handling the website l10n side at LO/TDF.

Just to say, thanks for bringing up these issues -- I appreciate some of
them have been on the table for a while. I'm going to meet Cloph soon
and learn more about Silverstripe, Pootle and other topics relating to
these issues, so hopefully I can tackle some of them in due time.

And as mentioned, I'll deploy Leto2 on the main site too. Thanks again
for all your localisation work!

Cheers,
Mike

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi Martin, *,

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As always I am writing this with best intentions for LO; so: I would like
> to point to some problems regarding the l10n of the official LO website(s).
>
> 1) There is a new (or updated) string on the download page(s), that is not
> localizable:
> "Older versions of LibreOffice (may be unsupported!) are available in the
> archive" <https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/>
> It should be added to pootle to be localized ASAP.

True - that was added recently, and will be added to pootle later
today or tomorrow.

> 2) The new download page is only available on the English page and still
> not localizable or available to l10n sites and in Pootle;

Also true - we wanted to sort out bugs in terms of usability with that
one first, finalize on the design before deploying it to others.

And while I mightnot have replied to your post in particular, I'm
pretty sure that has been stated in the past already.

> 3) Since 2) we are stuck with "old" download page that has only one version
> so we duplicate this page for both stable and fresh downloads; but there is
> a caveat: the substring " (stable)" is present on both pages,

Both are stable versions as opposed to the development/pre-release
ones (AKA beta/rc)

> so you can
> see how the "fresh" page looks now on the Slovenian and German sites (with
> word stable written in the title) - advertising the "fresh" version as the
> "stable" one:
> https://de.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
> https://sl.libreoffice.org/prenosi/najnovejsi-libreoffice/

There is fresh and still, not fresh and stable

> 4) The donation page is also an old one, not available for l10n, so we have
> to use old donation page on l10n sites.
> I think this is the issue in redmine, there might be more:
> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2462

Same reason basically as with the donate page, we wanted to run some
tests first to make sure it doesn't mess up with the donations that
pay all the bills...
I think we can have the strings of the donate page in pootle same time
as the one with the archive.

> 5) Someone deleted localized Slovenian pages for Imprint, Privacy Policy
> and Credits and replaced them with direct links to English pages, also they
> appear in the Slovenian menu as "Imprint", "Privacy Policy" and "Credits".

We need to make sure that all pages have current data - legal stuff is
annoying sometimes :/

> This was done without contacting me, the maintainer of the Slovenian site.

True, sorry for that. But unfortunately we have many nl-sites that are
rather stale, so we cannot wait for everyone in all cases.

> I understand legal issues with "Privacy Policy" that might have to be in
> English, but as editor of the Slovenian website I cannot allow menu items
> to be in English nor can I allow pages "Imprint" and "Credits" to appear in
> their content in English - please make these pages l10n-able ASAP as
> possible. For the time being I removed the "Credits" subpage from the menu
> and left the other two for legal issues.
> Also I want my localization strings back, I am the author, no one can
> delete my work - I need to reuse those strings.

There's history of previous versions in silverstripe, so no reason to
be all that upset about changing of pagetype. furthermore there is
waybackmachine or similar, that might also have your page indexed...

> 6) I really support this 3-year old ticket, it is essential for us l10n
> site maintainers:
> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/901

We had something like this in the past and it wasn't really used, but
I'll look into that once more.

ciao
Christian

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi, Christian,

thanks for your answer, let me clear some things up ...

[hidden email]>:

> > 3) Since 2) we are stuck with "old" download page that has only one
> version
> > so we duplicate this page for both stable and fresh downloads; but there
> is
> > a caveat: the substring " (stable)" is present on both pages,
>
> Both are stable versions as opposed to the development/pre-release
> ones (AKA beta/rc)

What is word "stable" doing in Slovenian and German?

> > so you can
> > see how the "fresh" page looks now on the Slovenian and German sites
> (with
> > word stable written in the title) - advertising the "fresh" version as
> the
> > "stable" one:
> > https://de.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
> > https://sl.libreoffice.org/prenosi/najnovejsi-libreoffice/
>
> There is fresh and still, not fresh and stable

Still, what is English unlocalizable word "stable" doing there?

> > 5) Someone deleted localized Slovenian pages for Imprint, Privacy Policy
> > and Credits and replaced them with direct links to English pages, also
> they
> > appear in the Slovenian menu as "Imprint", "Privacy Policy" and
> "Credits".
>
> We need to make sure that all pages have current data - legal stuff is
> annoying sometimes :/

Well, you have my e-mail address as we communicate quite often :) so I can
translate things in a very short timeframe, so this is really not true for
Slovenian site.

> > This was done without contacting me, the maintainer of the Slovenian
> site.
>
> True, sorry for that. But unfortunately we have many nl-sites that are
> rather stale, so we cannot wait for everyone in all cases.

There has hardly been any communication to l10n site maintainers about
changes being done, there is big room for improvement there ...

> > I understand legal issues with "Privacy Policy" that might have to be in
> > English, but as editor of the Slovenian website I cannot allow menu items
> > to be in English nor can I allow pages "Imprint" and "Credits" to appear
> in
> > their content in English - please make these pages l10n-able ASAP as
> > possible. For the time being I removed the "Credits" subpage from the
> menu
> > and left the other two for legal issues.
> > Also I want my localization strings back, I am the author, no one can
> > delete my work - I need to reuse those strings.
>
> There's history of previous versions in silverstripe, so no reason to
> be all that upset about changing of pagetype. furthermore there is
> waybackmachine or similar, that might also have your page indexed...

I tried to change the name or at least the menu name of pages "Privacy
Policy", "Credits" and "Imprint", but Silverstripe does not allow it! So I
am and will stay upset, because it looks as if I did not localize it, noone
knows what Silvestripe is and what it allows or not.

If those labels were editable, I could write "Politika zasebnosti (v
angl.)" meaning "Privacy Policy (in English)" and that would have solved it
for me. Also I would add a first sentence, a disclaimer to all three pages
saying why it needs to be in English.

But again, privacy policy and imprint do not change so often, so these
should be made available to localization and I really cannot take your
argument as a bulletproof one. As for the credits page, you could organize
it as the download pages, so it would be localizable and the list of
contributors would be automatically filled in from a text file (generated
by a script once a month or whatever) by a widget (or whatever those are
called). So it would get updated (the list of contributors) and yet still
be localizable.

> > 6) I really support this 3-year old ticket, it is essential for us l10n
> > site maintainers:
> > https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/901
>
> We had something like this in the past and it wasn't really used, but
> I'll look into that once more.

Thanks, Christian.

Lp, m.

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi Martin, Antanas,

OK, I've finally switched the LibreOffice website to use self-hosted
Lato2 font, rather than getting it remotely from Google's servers. It
appears to have fixed the problems with Lithuanian and Slovene, but can
you check and let me know please?

In case it needs to be reverted, I made a note of the changes I made in
the ticket here:

On 13/02/2018 16:26, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> Hi, Antanas,

>>> A while ago Mike said he is planning to incorporate new version of the
>> Lato2 font into production site(s) globally but it is not yet done (as I
>> understand).
>> The http://newdesign.libreoffice.org example only demonstrates
>> self-hosted (on 'newdesign' server) new version of the Lato2 font which
>> fixes issues.
>>

> That's what I wrote, it seems to work for Slovenian, and if cannot be
> enabled on the whole site it can be (for the time being) enabled and tested
> on the live Slovenian site (if possible).
>
> Lp, m.

Antanas Budriūnas Antanas Budriūnas

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi Mike,

in LT.libreoffice.org I don't see any font discrepancies anymore.
Thankyou!

BR
Antanas

[hidden email]>:

> Hi Martin, Antanas,
>
> OK, I've finally switched the LibreOffice website to use self-hosted
> Lato2 font, rather than getting it remotely from Google's servers. It
> appears to have fixed the problems with Lithuanian and Slovene, but can
> you check and let me know please?
>
> In case it needs to be reverted, I made a note of the changes I made in
> the ticket here:
>
> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/412
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Martin Srebotnjak wrote on 2018-02-08 at 12:42:
> As always I am writing this with best intentions for LO; so: I would like
> to point to some problems regarding the l10n of the official LO website(s).

this thread has been around for some months now and I didn't see further
topics. From what I heard some items have been addressed in the
meantime, but I wanted to check back if there are still pending obstacles.

The requests sound sensible to me for sure, so I'd like to see them come
to life. :-)

Cloph, where do we stand wrt. this?

Thanks a lot,
Florian

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

HI *,
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 12:00 PM Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> this thread has been around for some months now and I didn't see further
> topics. From what I heard some items have been addressed in the
> meantime, but I wanted to check back if there are still pending obstacles.

Only things left are the stable and testing indicators on the
old-style download page (that is the type/classification as on the
download server, i.e. stable directory vs testing directory)
for that I'll add strings Donwload.ClassificationStable and
Download.ClassificationTesting.

and the issue with the subsitevirtualpages not allowing to have
localized title/lable. A ugly workaround would be to have the virtual
page hidden and to create a site-local virtual page that then has the
page from the other subsite as backend, but that's kinda ugly, I'll
check whether one can extend the SubsiteVirtualPage with a data
extension to have the title/navigation label translatable.

And what's left is how to deal with the footer / translations - the
suggestion to use the Privacy Policy (localized term for privacy
policy), Imprint (localized term for imprint) is easiest to keep
consistent, so I think that's the way to go. (So expect
Homepage.PrivacyPolicyLabel, Homepage.ImprintLabel,.... to appear this
week)

ciao
Christian

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: l10n of LO website(s)

Hi Cloph,

Christian Lohmaier wrote on 2018-07-12 at 11:20:

> Only things left are the stable and testing indicators on the
> old-style download page (that is the type/classification as on the
> download server, i.e. stable directory vs testing directory)
> for that I'll add strings Donwload.ClassificationStable and
> Download.ClassificationTesting.

thanks a lot! Can you send a follow-up to this list when this is done,
so localizers can look into it?

> and the issue with the subsitevirtualpages not allowing to have
> localized title/lable. A ugly workaround would be to have the virtual
> page hidden and to create a site-local virtual page that then has the
> page from the other subsite as backend, but that's kinda ugly, I'll
> check whether one can extend the SubsiteVirtualPage with a data
> extension to have the title/navigation label translatable.

Thanks a lot!

> And what's left is how to deal with the footer / translations - the
> suggestion to use the Privacy Policy (localized term for privacy
> policy), Imprint (localized term for imprint) is easiest to keep
> consistent, so I think that's the way to go. (So expect
> Homepage.PrivacyPolicyLabel, Homepage.ImprintLabel,.... to appear this
> week)

That's my proposal indeed, see
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2564

Can you also send a follow-up to this list when this is implemented?

Thanks a lot,
Florian