[libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

[libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hello,

I am Astron, I am usually found on the design and ux-advice lists and
am currently working with Regina and Matm on a proposal for an
improved options dialogue [1]. We are wondering how many people are
using the automatic mouse cursor positioning [2] for dialogues and how
and why you are using it.
Do you use the function to center the cursor in the dialog?
Do you use the function to position the cursor over the default button?
If you use the latter, how would you like to enable it: via your
operating system (note, that I don't know if any OS besides Windows
has this option) or via LibO?

Best Regards,

Astron.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/OptionsRework
[2] available under Tools > Options / LibreOffice > View > Mouse.

Alex Midence Alex Midence

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hmm.  I didn't know LibreOfice was accessible in Windows.  I thought
it was about as accessible as Open Office which is to say, it is very
much a work in progress.  Has this changed?

Alex M
Screen Reader User

On 9/24/11, Astron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Astron, I am usually found on the design and ux-advice lists and
> am currently working with Regina and Matm on a proposal for an
> improved options dialogue [1]. We are wondering how many people are
> using the automatic mouse cursor positioning [2] for dialogues and how
> and why you are using it.
> Do you use the function to center the cursor in the dialog?
> Do you use the function to position the cursor over the default button?
> If you use the latter, how would you like to enable it: via your
> operating system (note, that I don't know if any OS besides Windows
> has this option) or via LibO?
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Astron.
>

> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/OptionsRework
> [2] available under Tools > Options / LibreOffice > View > Mouse.

Dennis E. Hamilton Dennis E. Hamilton

RE: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

The Windows feature Astron is making reference to is provided in
the Mouse Configuration for Windows.  It is not tied to the
application but how the mouse is configured to respond to all
dialog boxes and especially confirmation boxes.  It involves an
automatic focus and mouse cursor position change.

These are under Mouse Properties | Pointer Options and may depend
on the mouse and driver being used.

Also, the movable magnifier is a Windows function and it can be
tied to a mouse button on Windows.  I know because my cat easily
butts her head on it.  I am also at the point in life where I
occasionally need to use it on purpose.  (I claim I am looking
for fine details in the font rendering.)

 - Dennis

Hmm.  I didn't know LibreOfice was accessible in Windows.  I thought
it was about as accessible as Open Office which is to say, it is very
much a work in progress.  Has this changed?

Alex M
Screen Reader User

On 9/24/11, Astron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Astron, I am usually found on the design and ux-advice lists and
> am currently working with Regina and Matm on a proposal for an
> improved options dialogue [1]. We are wondering how many people are
> using the automatic mouse cursor positioning [2] for dialogues and how
> and why you are using it.
> Do you use the function to center the cursor in the dialog?
> Do you use the function to position the cursor over the default button?
> If you use the latter, how would you like to enable it: via your
> operating system (note, that I don't know if any OS besides Windows
> has this option) or via LibO?
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Astron.
>

> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/OptionsRework
> [2] available under Tools > Options / LibreOffice > View > Mouse.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hey... Just a ping... Is there anyone who would like to answer?
Astron.

Christophe Strobbe Christophe Strobbe

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Astron,

At 12:33 24-9-2011, Astron wrote:

>Hello,
>I am Astron, I am usually found on the design and ux-advice lists
>and am currently working with Regina and Matm on a proposal for an
>improved options dialogue [1].
>We are wondering how many people are using the automatic mouse
>cursor positioning [2] for dialogues and how and why you are using
>it. Do you use the function to center the cursor in the dialog? Do
>you use the function to position the cursor over the default button?
>If you use the latter, how would you like to enable it: via your
>operating system (note, that I don't know if any OS besides Windows
>has this option) or via LibO?

I have never used this feature, but I'm not an AT user. The best
place to ask is a list where many subscribers are persons with a
disability. I could ask on a French list that I subscribe to.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Christophe!

> I have never used this feature, but I'm not an AT user. The best place to
> ask is a list where many subscribers are persons with a disability. I could
> ask on a French list that I subscribe to.

I had hoped that people with visual impairments (or not? is that the
target group of the feature?) would be subscribed to the accessibility
list... Thank you for the offer of posting it on another list: please
go ahead!
Would you mind posting a link here? My French is probably not good
enough for translating the request, but I should have enough left of
it to read the responses.

Regards,

Astron.

Malte Timmermann Malte Timmermann

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Astron,

I doubt that this feature is useful.

OOo has it because... Windows has/had it. And the Windows feature
doesn't work within OOo, as OOo has it's own Window system.

AT doesn't care. If a dialog pops up, they will read/magnify the focused
element.

A Magnifier would follow the mouse when the user moves it - but for
dialog popup, the focus is the more interesting thing.

I don't see any good reason for keeping that feature, so if no one
complains, feel free to get rid of it.

Malte.

On 28.09.2011 22:01, Astron wrote:

> Hi Christophe!
>
>> I have never used this feature, but I'm not an AT user. The best place to
>> ask is a list where many subscribers are persons with a disability. I could
>> ask on a French list that I subscribe to.
>
> I had hoped that people with visual impairments (or not? is that the
> target group of the feature?) would be subscribed to the accessibility
> list... Thank you for the offer of posting it on another list: please
> go ahead!
> Would you mind posting a link here? My French is probably not good
> enough for translating the request, but I should have enough left of
> it to read the responses.
>
> Regards,
>
> Astron.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Malte,

thanks for the explanation and your help!

Cheers,
Christoph

Am Freitag, den 07.10.2011, 18:34 +0200 schrieb Malte Timmermann:

> Hi Astron,
>
> I doubt that this feature is useful.
>
> OOo has it because... Windows has/had it. And the Windows feature
> doesn't work within OOo, as OOo has it's own Window system.
>
> AT doesn't care. If a dialog pops up, they will read/magnify the focused
> element.
>
> A Magnifier would follow the mouse when the user moves it - but for
> dialog popup, the focus is the more interesting thing.
>
> I don't see any good reason for keeping that feature, so if no one
> complains, feel free to get rid of it.
>
> Malte.
>
> On 28.09.2011 22:01, Astron wrote:
> > Hi Christophe!
> >
> >> I have never used this feature, but I'm not an AT user. The best place to
> >> ask is a list where many subscribers are persons with a disability. I could
> >> ask on a French list that I subscribe to.
> >
> > I had hoped that people with visual impairments (or not? is that the
> > target group of the feature?) would be subscribed to the accessibility
> > list... Thank you for the offer of posting it on another list: please
> > go ahead!
> > Would you mind posting a link here? My French is probably not good
> > enough for translating the request, but I should have enough left of
> > it to read the responses.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Malte,

thanks for the explanation from me also.
I do wonder why Windows still has the feature, but then, Microsoft can
go a bit far with backwards compatibility at times.

Best Regards,

Astron.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Question about mouse pointer positioning

Hi Astron, hi Malte!

Am Freitag, den 07.10.2011, 19:53 +0200 schrieb Astron:
> Hi Malte,
>
> thanks for the explanation from me also.
> I do wonder why Windows still has the feature, but then, Microsoft can
> go a bit far with backwards compatibility at times.

Well, I don't know ... but moving the option out of the sight of the
"normal user" doesn't mean to remove it (if we are really unsure).
However, a) seems one question is resolved, and b) thanks for your
"detective" work, Astron! :-)

Cheers,
Christoph