[libreoffice-accessibility] Starting From Scratch with VoiceOVer in Libre Office

April Brown April Brown

[libreoffice-accessibility] Starting From Scratch with VoiceOVer in Libre Office

Hello.  I am a writer who has been using Libre Office for a few years.  I appreciate it!  However, I now have to learn to use VoiceOver on my Mac.

First:  Can anyone share a good guide for using VoiceOver in Libre Office?

Here is what I have tried, and my results so far:

I have a Mac Mini, Yosemite updated to most current.

The read all command only seems to read what is visible on the screen. When it works at all.

Tricks tried:
NumPad is turned on
NumPad 9
NumPad Zero 5
NumPad Command 3
NumPad Control 5

Quick Nav on
Quick Nav off
With Rotor on Paragraphs

With Track Pad turned on
Two Finger Flick Up
Two Finger Flick Left
Two Finger Flick Right
Three Finger Flick Up
Three Finger Flick Down

Control Option B
Two Finger Flick Down

None of the above commands seem to anything.

Also tried Item Chooser and Find.It would find an item. Then, I'd press enter, or double tap, and VoiceOver would begin reading at the beginning of the document again. When it reads at all. I'm still missing something. Or a bunch of somethings.

And why, when I want it to read a document, email, or whatever, does it keep wanting to edit text instead of read it? Why does it refuse to read more than one character at a time regardless of rotor setting?

What setting is messed up?

Yes, eventually, I'll need to edit. I need to read it first though. More than a letter at a time. Or more than a screen at a time. And jumping back to the top of a document won't work if it's 360 pages!

Today, I tried opening a new document and just writing.  It didn't work very well.

Thank you,

April Brown

Writing dramatic adventure novels uncovering the myths we hide behind.

[hidden email]

Website: https://sites.google.com/site/uncoveredmyths/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/UncoveredMyths
Google Plus:  https://plus.google.com/116003267969710767555/posts

Newsletter Signups: http://t.co/Q5kSUlKV2a

Niklas Johansson Niklas Johansson

Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Starting From Scratch with VoiceOVer in Libre Office

Hi April

First off, I'm sorry for the late reply. I do know of any guide for
using LibreOffice with VoiceOver.

As you noticed there are a few issues with LibreOffice accessibility on
Mac. Just a few tips on getting past a few of them.
If you are only interested in reading the contents of a document then I
suggest you use the Preview In Web Browser functionality. To do that
open the document you want to read, then go to the menu File and select
Preview In Web Browser. That will convert the document into a temporary
web site and open it i Safari. One of the perks with this way of doing
it is that you get all the navigation commands that pretty much only
work in the browser with VoiceOver for example go to the next heading
and the preview is of course read only so you do not have to worry about
messing up the document by mistake.

You already noticed that the VoiceOver cursor does not refresh the page
when it reaches the end of the screen but starts over from the beginning
of the page. One thing you can do once in a while is to press VO +
Command + F4 to move the text cursor to the VoiceOver cursor. The text
cursor does update the screen position. Some times it is easier to just
use the arrow key to read line by line.

I can't help much with rotor since I hardly used it, but maybe it's time
for me to start using it.

Sorry for not being of more help at this stage.

Regards,
Niklas Johansson

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

[libreoffice-accessibility] Re: Starting From Scratch with VoiceOVer in Libre Office

Le 31/12/2014 19:10, April Brown a écrit :
> Hello.  I am a writer who has been using Libre Office for a few years.  I appreciate it!  However, I now have to learn to use VoiceOver on my Mac.

Hi April,

I'm sorry to say that you are basically out of luck. LibreOffice does
not have the code to work with VoiceOver correctly (or rather the
current codebase uses obsolete functions or simply doesn't have the
implementation), and the keybindings as a result are somewhat haphazard.
As for dictation, it appears that the latest production versions of LO
have stopped accepting direct dictation, unlike previous versions.

There are several bug reports open for a number of these accessibility
problems, but not enough developers to fix them.

Alex