[libreoffice-conference] Conference Moderator

Posted by Simon Phipps Simon Phipps
      Options
*tl;dr summary*:  I propose the LibreOffice Conference appoint someone to
oversee inclusiveness and offer confidence harassment will be addressed in
the unlikely event it happens.

*Detail*
Attending conferences in the USA over the last year, I have frequently
heard requests for conferences to have a policy statement to protect
attendees from harrassment of various kinds by other attendees. My
observation is these policies are hard to draft in a way that is inclusive
to the needs of all attendees and non-alienating; indeed, I have observed
some attempts at such policies themselves unwittingly alienating groups
within the conference. I believe it's important for the LibreOffice
conference that we create a welcoming and safe environment for all kinds of
attendees, so rather than attempting a detailed policy statement I'd like
to propose something different.

I suggest designating a "Conference Moderator", who can provide a safe
haven for those of us with concerns about some aspect of the conference and
a trusted advocate to take whatever steps are possible to address problems
if they arise. I thus propose the following:

   1. Add a statement such as the following to the conference web site:
   "The LibreOffice community is welcoming, diverse and international. This
   strength can sometimes bring with it different approaches to interaction
   that are unfamiliar and even occasionally unwelcome. We all have different
   comfort zone boundaries and many of us find it good to have a friend stand
   along side us when these boundaries are crossed for whatever reason.  If
   there's any aspect of the event that makes you feel uncomfortable, and you
   don't feel you can discuss it directly with those responsible or that just
   walking away is an acceptable solution, the Conference Moderator will
   discuss it with you in an accepting manner and act on your behalf to bring
   about a resolution if appropriate. For this year's conference, the Document
   Foundation Board has asked <name> to act as Moderator. Please contact
   <name>  either in-person or via <e-mail address> or <phone number>. <name>
   is authorised by the Board to take whatever steps are necessary to address
   any inappropriate actions during the conference."
   2. Ask the Document Foundation Board to seek and appoint a Moderator.
   3. Mention this arrangement in administrative remarks during the
   conference.

I believe this approach balances the need for community oversight with
the recognition of our mutual differences. All the same, I doubt I've got
it right first time and I'd welcome improvements to this proposal.

Best regards,

Simon


--
*Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
*Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
+1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

7 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
FGM FGM
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Conference Moderator

We (Drupal community) started having this problem a few years ago when
DrupalCon started to become a larger event.

After a number of (painful) iterations, this led us to our current code of
conduct, derived from the Ubutu one:  http://drupal.org/dcoc

It might be appropriate to look in that direction from LO.

2012/10/12 Simon Phipps <[hidden email]>

> *tl;dr summary*:  I propose the LibreOffice Conference appoint someone to
> oversee inclusiveness and offer confidence harassment will be addressed in
> the unlikely event it happens.
>
> *Detail*
> Attending conferences in the USA over the last year, I have frequently
> heard requests for conferences to have a policy statement to protect
> attendees from harrassment of various kinds by other attendees. My
> observation is these policies are hard to draft in a way that is inclusive
> to the needs of all attendees and non-alienating; indeed, I have observed
> some attempts at such policies themselves unwittingly alienating groups
> within the conference. I believe it's important for the LibreOffice
> conference that we create a welcoming and safe environment for all kinds of
> attendees, so rather than attempting a detailed policy statement I'd like
> to propose something different.
>
> I suggest designating a "Conference Moderator", who can provide a safe
> haven for those of us with concerns about some aspect of the conference and
> a trusted advocate to take whatever steps are possible to address problems
> if they arise. I thus propose the following:
>
>    1. Add a statement such as the following to the conference web site:
>    "The LibreOffice community is welcoming, diverse and international. This
>    strength can sometimes bring with it different approaches to interaction
>    that are unfamiliar and even occasionally unwelcome. We all have
> different
>    comfort zone boundaries and many of us find it good to have a friend
> stand
>    along side us when these boundaries are crossed for whatever reason.  If
>    there's any aspect of the event that makes you feel uncomfortable, and
> you
>    don't feel you can discuss it directly with those responsible or that
> just
>    walking away is an acceptable solution, the Conference Moderator will
>    discuss it with you in an accepting manner and act on your behalf to
> bring
>    about a resolution if appropriate. For this year's conference, the
> Document
>    Foundation Board has asked <name> to act as Moderator. Please contact
>    <name>  either in-person or via <e-mail address> or <phone number>.
> <name>
>    is authorised by the Board to take whatever steps are necessary to
> address
>    any inappropriate actions during the conference."
>    2. Ask the Document Foundation Board to seek and appoint a Moderator.
>    3. Mention this arrangement in administrative remarks during the
>    conference.
>
> I believe this approach balances the need for community oversight with
> the recognition of our mutual differences. All the same, I doubt I've got
> it right first time and I'd welcome improvements to this proposal.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Simon
>
>
> --
> *Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
> *Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
> +1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027
>
> --
> For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
> [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Simon Phipps Simon Phipps
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-conference] Re: Conference Moderator

On Friday, October 12, 2012, FGM at GMail wrote:

> We (Drupal community) started having this problem a few years ago when
> DrupalCon started to become a larger event.
>
> After a number of (painful) iterations, this led us to our current code of
> conduct, derived from the Ubutu one:  http://drupal.org/dcoc
>
> It might be appropriate to look in that direction from LO.
>

Thanks for the input; if we were drafting a policy then starting with the
statements from Ubuntu might well be good.

How effective has that Drupal policy been in practical terms? My thought
was for TDF to start with a person who could actually help intervene on the
community's behalf (referring to the authorities as Andre suggests in the
exceptionally unlikely event it's necessary), after which they could offer
their experiences to help us identify if a written code of conduct beyond
the words I've proposed would help their successor.

S.



--
*Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
*Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
+1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Conference Moderator

In reply to this post by Simon Phipps
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 01:48:58PM +0200, Simon Phipps wrote:

>    1. Add a statement such as the following to the conference web site:
>    "The LibreOffice community is welcoming, diverse and international. This
>    strength can sometimes bring with it different approaches to interaction
>    that are unfamiliar and even occasionally unwelcome. We all have different
>    comfort zone boundaries and many of us find it good to have a friend stand
>    along side us when these boundaries are crossed for whatever reason.  If
>    there's any aspect of the event that makes you feel uncomfortable, and you
>    don't feel you can discuss it directly with those responsible or that just
>    walking away is an acceptable solution, the Conference Moderator will
>    discuss it with you in an accepting manner and act on your behalf to bring
>    about a resolution if appropriate. For this year's conference, the Document
>    Foundation Board has asked <name> to act as Moderator. Please contact
>    <name>  either in-person or via <e-mail address> or <phone number>. <name>
>    is authorised by the Board to take whatever steps are necessary to address
>    any inappropriate actions during the conference."
>    2. Ask the Document Foundation Board to seek and appoint a Moderator.
>    3. Mention this arrangement in administrative remarks during the
>    conference.
>
> I believe this approach balances the need for community oversight with
> the recognition of our mutual differences. All the same, I doubt I've got
> it right first time and I'd welcome improvements to this proposal.

Sounds great to me, thanks for your work on this Simon!

Best,

Bjoern

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

FGM FGM
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-conference] Re: Conference Moderator

In reply to this post by Simon Phipps
IIRC we've had incidents with (US) people complaining on each non-US
conference about discriminatory remarks, each of which was eventually
solved within the community (hence the painful adjustments, because not
every country in the EU is aligned with US sensitivity). No problem ever
went outside the community.

2012/10/12 Simon Phipps <[hidden email]>

>
>
> On Friday, October 12, 2012, FGM at GMail wrote:
>
>> We (Drupal community) started having this problem a few years ago when
>> DrupalCon started to become a larger event.
>>
>> After a number of (painful) iterations, this led us to our current code
>> of conduct, derived from the Ubutu one:  http://drupal.org/dcoc
>>
>> It might be appropriate to look in that direction from LO.
>>
>
> Thanks for the input; if we were drafting a policy then starting with the
> statements from Ubuntu might well be good.
>
> How effective has that Drupal policy been in practical terms? My thought
> was for TDF to start with a person who could actually help intervene on the
> community's behalf (referring to the authorities as Andre suggests in the
> exceptionally unlikely event it's necessary), after which they could offer
> their experiences to help us identify if a written code of conduct beyond
> the words I've proposed would help their successor.
>
> S.
>
>
>
> --
> *Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
> *Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
> +1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027
>
>
>

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Niklas Andersson Niklas Andersson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Re: Conference Moderator

In reply to this post by Simon Phipps
Let us be honest. No one reads code of conduct, license terms or manuals.

I do very much agree with Simon Phipps when he suggests a moderator that
can halt uncomfortable discussions that lead nowhere.

Actions are needed, not more print.

Regards,
Niklas

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday, October 12, 2012, FGM at GMail wrote:
>
> > We (Drupal community) started having this problem a few years ago when
> > DrupalCon started to become a larger event.
> >
> > After a number of (painful) iterations, this led us to our current code
> of
> > conduct, derived from the Ubutu one:  http://drupal.org/dcoc
> >
> > It might be appropriate to look in that direction from LO.
> >
>
> Thanks for the input; if we were drafting a policy then starting with the
> statements from Ubuntu might well be good.
>
> How effective has that Drupal policy been in practical terms? My thought
> was for TDF to start with a person who could actually help intervene on the
> community's behalf (referring to the authorities as Andre suggests in the
> exceptionally unlikely event it's necessary), after which they could offer
> their experiences to help us identify if a written code of conduct beyond
> the words I've proposed would help their successor.
>
> S.
>
>
>
> --
> *Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
> *Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
> +1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027
>
> --
> For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
> [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Gordon Guthrie Gordon Guthrie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Re: Conference Moderator

> Let us be honest. No one reads code of conduct, license terms or manuals.

That's true, but the process of writing them and getting them accepted
changes any organisation that produces them.

Gordon

On 12 October 2012 14:52, Niklas Andersson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let us be honest. No one reads code of conduct, license terms or manuals.
>
> I do very much agree with Simon Phipps when he suggests a moderator that
> can halt uncomfortable discussions that lead nowhere.
>
> Actions are needed, not more print.
>
> Regards,
> Niklas
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, October 12, 2012, FGM at GMail wrote:
>>
>> > We (Drupal community) started having this problem a few years ago when
>> > DrupalCon started to become a larger event.
>> >
>> > After a number of (painful) iterations, this led us to our current code
>> of
>> > conduct, derived from the Ubutu one:  http://drupal.org/dcoc
>> >
>> > It might be appropriate to look in that direction from LO.
>> >
>>
>> Thanks for the input; if we were drafting a policy then starting with the
>> statements from Ubuntu might well be good.
>>
>> How effective has that Drupal policy been in practical terms? My thought
>> was for TDF to start with a person who could actually help intervene on the
>> community's behalf (referring to the authorities as Andre suggests in the
>> exceptionally unlikely event it's necessary), after which they could offer
>> their experiences to help us identify if a written code of conduct beyond
>> the words I've proposed would help their successor.
>>
>> S.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> *Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
>> *Meshed Insights & Knowledge *
>> +1 415 683 7660  *or*  +44 2380 987027
>>
>> --
>> For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
>> [hidden email]
>> Problems?
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> deleted
>>
>>
>
> --
> For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
>

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Re: Conference Moderator

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 02:58:58PM +0100, Gordon Guthrie wrote:
> > Let us be honest. No one reads code of conduct, license terms or manuals.
>
> That's true, but the process of writing them and getting them accepted
> changes any organisation that produces them.

This is offtopic here, as the conference starts in a few days, so changing the
organisation wont affect it.

Having a full code of conduct might be nice (and it is discussed in for the
LibreOffice forums effort IIRC), however note that we already have some basic
words to the topic even in the statues of the TDF.

So lets:
- not dicuss a CoC _here_ (in context of the conference)
- optionally further that topic for later events and for example the forums
  elsewhere

The important part is having the contact persons at the conference.

Best,

Bjoern

--
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted