[libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

Posted by Katarina Behrens-2 Katarina Behrens-2
Hello world,

I miss ladies model of this year's conference T-shirt.

It's leaps and bounds better for marketing and promoting the project when its
members and users wear merchandise they actually look good in. And I can
hardly go around and promote LibreOffice project in a T-shirt that doesn't fit
(men's cut, too loose around waist).

LibreOffice shop [1] got it right, it actually has greater choice of ladies T-
shirts (in comparison to guys' ) :)

Something to keep in mind for next year's con ... and something that was done
very profesionally on last year's con, one of the best tech conference T-shirt
I ever had.

More reading here: [2]

B.

[1] https://blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/09/22/libreoffice-merchandising-is-available-from-spreadshirt-net/

[2] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/T-shirts

9 Comments

Eliane Domingos de Sousa-5 Eliane Domingos de Sousa-5

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

Hi Katarina,

I completely agree with you.

Also, I was thinking to create the librewoman community to encourage
women to get involved in the project. :)

This year I saw some women, I was so happy with that.

See you next year.

Best,

Eliane Domingos de Sousa, Deputy Chairman of the Board
Tel: +55 21 2178-9696 | Mobile: +55 21 9 9837-6149
LibreOffice é a súite office livre que mais cresce no mundo. Baixe já: http://pt-br.libreoffice.org

Em 23-09-2015 14:30, Katarina Behrens escreveu:

> Hello world,
>
> I miss ladies model of this year's conference T-shirt.
>
> It's leaps and bounds better for marketing and promoting the project when its
> members and users wear merchandise they actually look good in. And I can
> hardly go around and promote LibreOffice project in a T-shirt that doesn't fit
> (men's cut, too loose around waist).
>
> LibreOffice shop [1] got it right, it actually has greater choice of ladies T-
> shirts (in comparison to guys' ) :)
>
> Something to keep in mind for next year's con ... and something that was done
> very profesionally on last year's con, one of the best tech conference T-shirt
> I ever had.
>
> More reading here: [2]
>
> B.
>
> [1] https://blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/09/22/libreoffice-merchandising-is-available-from-spreadshirt-net/
>
> [2] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/T-shirts

Niall McCarthy Niall McCarthy

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

Hi Eliane/Katarina,

I'd be delighted to help out with the creation of a librewoman community
- good female/male numerical balance is one of the best signs an
inclusive environment. I also have a recruitment and social policy
background, so maybe those might be useful too :)

Niall

--
Niall McCarthy
+33 6 31368289

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Niall McCarthy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Eliane/Katarina,
>
> I'd be delighted to help out with the creation of a librewoman community -
> good female/male numerical balance is one of the best signs an inclusive
> environment. I also have a recruitment and social policy background, so
> maybe those might be useful too :)

I know a couple of leaders active in the PyLadies community here in
the States who could be good resources, if you'd like an introduction.
A stronger relationship w/the Python community is always a solid bet
for us, so this could be a great situation to kill two birds with one
stone. Oh -- and if you like alliteration, you might consider the name
'LibreLadies'.

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
QA Engineer - The Document Foundation

Niall McCarthy Niall McCarthy

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

On that note, something to add that will hopefully help set the right tone:

"Women are not an interest group - they are half the population" (Carly
Fiorina, US Presidential Candidate, Former CEO of HP)

> Hi Katarina,
>
> I completely agree with you.
>
> Also, I was thinking to create the librewoman community to encourage
> women to get involved in the project. :)
>
> This year I saw some women, I was so happy with that.
>
> See you next year.
>
> Best,
>
> Eliane Domingos de Sousa, Deputy Chairman of the Board
> Tel: +55 21 2178-9696 | Mobile: +55 21 9 9837-6149
> The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
> LibreOffice é a súite office livre que mais cresce no mundo. Baixe já: http://pt-br.libreoffice.org
>
> Em 23-09-2015 14:30, Katarina Behrens escreveu:
>> Hello world,
>>
>> I miss ladies model of this year's conference T-shirt.
>>
>> It's leaps and bounds better for marketing and promoting the project when its
>> members and users wear merchandise they actually look good in. And I can
>> hardly go around and promote LibreOffice project in a T-shirt that doesn't fit
>> (men's cut, too loose around waist).
>>
>> LibreOffice shop [1] got it right, it actually has greater choice of ladies T-
>> shirts (in comparison to guys' ) :)
>>
>> Something to keep in mind for next year's con ... and something that was done
>> very profesionally on last year's con, one of the best tech conference T-shirt
>> I ever had.
>>
>> More reading here: [2]
>>
>> B.
>>
>> [1] https://blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/09/22/libreoffice-merchandising-is-available-from-spreadshirt-net/
>>
>> [2] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/T-shirts

--
Niall McCarthy
+33 6 31368289
www.collaboraoffice.com

Gülşah Köse Gülşah Köse

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

I'd be happy to help you from Turkey side. I have friends interested in
coding Libreoffice and this community would be encourages them.

Best regards

Marina Latini-2 Marina Latini-2

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

> stone. Oh -- and if you like alliteration, you might consider the name
> 'LibreLadies'.

LibreLadies +1 :)
count me in!

Best,
Marina

Marina Latini
[hidden email]

Studio Storti S.r.l.
Via dell'industria 8
36040 Torri di Quartesolo - VICENZA
Tel 0444-782140
Fax 0444-782141
www.studiostorti.com
Leif Lodahl Leif Lodahl

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

Hi Katarine,
First of all I hope you enjoyed the conference.

I apologize that we have disappointed you. I agree with you that we
should have provided also a lady model. More and more women are joining
the community and the conference management should have adjusted to this.

When that is said I will also remind that the more options (size, shape,
colour, ...) we offer, the more waste we will see. But that is something
that can be handled. My proposal for next year will be to add two extra
questions to the registration form: T-shirt size and preferred shape.

Cheers,
Leif Lodahl

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

> add two extra questions to the registration form: T-shirt size and
> preferred shape.

Good idea!

Thank you so much Leif, for the whole wonderful organization.
---
Gabriele Ponzo

Katarina Behrens-2 Katarina Behrens-2

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Ladies conference T-shirts

> Also, I was thinking to create the librewoman community to encourage
> women to get involved in the project. :)

I can't say I haven't played with that idea myself, but ...

During those 12 years I've been involved with FLOSS (yes, I'm old :)), I've
seen various *-women groups rise and fall -- mostly into memory hole. Few of
them survived more than couple of years.

Such a group might be a good platform for women that already are part of the
project to bond over ... uhm, all things only women in tech, even more so
FLOSS can bond over :) but it hardly ever helps to get more women (from
outside) involved.

For that, it is absolutely essential to have a very good mentoring scheme in
place ... and we're getting there, but not quite yet.

For example in Debian project, Debian Women group are (some kinda) patrons of
their mentoring program. [1] I'd like to get some more feedback, though,
before pushing that idea through ...

B .oO

[1] https://www.debian.org/women/mentoring