[libreoffice-conference] Libre Office Conf/Newbie/Advice/Spreadsheets

Posted by Gordon Guthrie Gordon Guthrie
Folks

I'm coming through to the Libre Office Conference next week for the
first time, yay!

I am coming for a couple of reasons.

There are very few people in the world who write spreadsheet software
and I would like to meet other people who do  - instead of being the
freak at Tech Events :(

But also, more seriously, we have a next-generation spreadsheet server written:
http://vixo.com

It is not really a competitor with Libre Office as it is pure web. But
it does implement 150 Libre Office compatible functions. I know that
Michael Meeks is working on a Libre Office rival to Office365 - but
that still has to have an offline mode (I presume?).

One of our challenges is how do we get distribution - what is the road
to a million users. One of our former employees went on to work at
CouchDB and is now at Mozilla - so there is one camp saying we should
consider open source.

We have another camp (investor-led) going: "No, no, no, hey wait, what
about MySQL? Erk, yes, no, yes, no, aargh!".

So I am also looking to pick people's brains on the subject of open
sourcing: pros, cons, how to go about it, partnerships, incubation,
etc.

But also it will be fun to talk about Excel-compatible error handling,
implementing number formats properly and other fun tech stuff.

So if anyone is happy to spare some time to talk to me about these
things please send me an e-mail.

In return I am happy to spend some time 'under the hood' showing some
of the cool tech we use and how we do stuff, again email me.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Gordon

PS and it is my first time in Berlin as well! (teenage son on half
term is very excited!).

1 Comment

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Libre Office Conf/Newbie/Advice/Spreadsheets

We look forward to meet you Gordon :-)

Best,

Charles.