[libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Posted by Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Dear speakers,
Dear guests,

just a few more days, and the LibreOffice Conference 2012 in Berlin will
start - everyone from the organizational committee is very much
anticipating this major event! We're now in the final round of
preparations, and look forward to an exciting conference, with lots of
interesting talks and workshops.

*** IMPORTANT *** PLEASE READ *** IMPORTANT *** PLEASE READ ***

(0) If you reply to this e-mail, you reply to a public mailing list.
(See below.)

(1) Please bring a valid photo ID to Berlin, ideally a passport. Due to
security regulations at the ministry, this is mandatory for entering the
venue. Even if we know you personally, without a valid photo ID, the
ministries security personnel will refuse you entering.

(2) Due to the mandatory security checks, please plan in enough time
when entering the venue. In a word: Arrive early - if the queues are
long, it might take you up to an hour to pass security, especially on
the first day.

(3) Please note that smoking is not allowed in the building.

(4) To all speakers: We plan to not only have a video archive from the
conference, but also do live streaming. All talks and workshops will be
made available to the general public free of charge as audio and video,
together with a copy of the slides. If you do not want to have your talk
recorded, or your slides published, please tell the organizers in advance.

(5) To all speakers: Please send your conference slides to
[hidden email] after your talk, unless you
object to having it published. We'd like to make as many slides
available to the general public as possible.

(6) The admission fee for the conference is 10 €, from which which we
provide you catering and your welcome pack. Please make sure you've paid
via PayPal or bank transfer prior to the conference.

conference. In case we have important news, like a change in the
schedule, this is the place where we will inform you instantly and reliably.

Everyone will get a printed schedule with the welcome bag. A digital
version for downloading to your tablets, smartphones and notebooks is
already available at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LiboCon2012.pdf

Information about the venue, planned activities and Berlin at large is
available at http://conference.libreoffice.org

We were able to organize a catering during the conference. For lunch, we
will offer a vegetarian soup, with meat to be added by those who want.
During the afternoon break, we will serve coffee, cake and cookies. Soft
drinks will be provided during the conference.

There will be a public wifi available, the login credentials will be
handed out at the venue. Due to the nature of a crowded conference,
there is no guaranteed bandwith, but we try to provide a stable and
reliable connection. If you have a business-critical need for internet
connectivity, please bring in your own 3G modem and SIM card.

Reasonable and approved travel expenses for speakers and attending
members can be reimbursed on a case-by-case basis. Please bring your
travel documents and invoices to the conference for easier processing.
Keep in mind that our funds are very limited, and travel reimbursement
is limited to those who have no other sponsor, and cannot afford the
trip on their own. Depending on the amount, not all funding requests can
be considered, or have to be cut down at a certain amount. All details
you should read before asking for travel refund are available at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies, where you will also
find the address to request funding (see the paragraph "Refunding via TDF").

In case of emergencies, you can reach me (Florian) during the conference
on my mobile at

     +49 151 14424108

or drop me an SMS to that number. To privately reach all organizers,
please write to [hidden email]

****

In a nutshell, here are all the contacts:

Emergency contact in Berlin (Florian): +49 151 14424108
Public discussion and announcement list: [hidden email]
Private contact to the organizers:
[hidden email]

****

Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin!
Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

26 Comments

Next » 12
Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Do we need to leave our (Swiss Army/Leatherman) knives at the hotel?
One feels not fully dressed without one's set of mini-tools.

--Jean

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> In case of emergencies, you can reach me (Florian) during the conference on
> my mobile at
>
>     +49 151 14424108
>
> or drop me an SMS to that number. To privately reach all organizers, please
> write to [hidden email]
>
> ****
>
> In a nutshell, here are all the contacts:
>
> Emergency contact in Berlin (Florian): +49 151 14424108
> Public discussion and announcement list: [hidden email]
> Private contact to the organizers:
> [hidden email]
>
> ****
>
> Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin!
> Florian
>
> --
> Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
> Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany

Frank Hofmann Frank Hofmann

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Hi,

* Jean Weber <[hidden email]> [121009 17:15]:
> Do we need to leave our (Swiss Army/Leatherman) knives at the hotel?
> One feels not fully dressed without one's set of mini-tools.

I thought of taking my assistant with me (1.20m tall, black and white
skin, yellow fins). He may not have a valid passport to get into the
building.

Just asking.

Frank

> [...]
> > my mobile at
> >
> >     +49 151 14424108
> >
> > or drop me an SMS to that number. To privately reach all organizers, please
> > write to [hidden email]
> >
> > ****
> >
> > In a nutshell, here are all the contacts:
> >
> > Emergency contact in Berlin (Florian): +49 151 14424108
> > Public discussion and announcement list: [hidden email]
> > Private contact to the organizers:
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > ****
> >
> > Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin!
> > Florian
> >
> > --
> > Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
> > Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
> > The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> > Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts

Dipl.-Inf. Frank Hofmann
Hofmann EDV - Linux, Layout und Satz
c/o buero 2.0
12059 Berlin - Weigandufer 45
web  http://www.efho.de
mail [hidden email]
tel  030/2000 586 80

Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Hi Jean,

it would be nearly the same procedure than elsewhere. You can't get into
the London eye with such tools ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]>
Twitter: @andreaslibo Skype: andreaslibo

Frank Hofmann wrote on 2012-10-09 17:34:
> I thought of taking my assistant with me (1.20m tall, black and white
> skin, yellow fins). He may not have a valid passport to get into the
> building.
>
> Just asking.

in case it is a kind symbol for free software, I am sure we can make an
exception. ;-)

Tux'ish greetings,

Irmhild Rogalla Irmhild Rogalla

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Am 09.10.2012 17:15, schrieb Jean Weber:
> Do we need to leave our (Swiss Army/Leatherman) knives at the hotel?

Yes. If you bring it with you, the security personal will store it for
you during the conference.

Irmhild

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Am 09.10.2012 17:45, schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> it would be nearly the same procedure than elsewhere. You can't
> get into the London eye with such tools ;-)

> Am 09.10.2012 17:15, schrieb Jean Weber:
>> Do we need to leave our (Swiss Army/Leatherman) knives at the
>> hotel?

I can´t say anything about knives. However, AFAIK it´s possible to
bring your attack dog with you. :-D

(http://ipir.at/libreofficekampfhund) ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

We are not so fussy in Australia.
--Jean

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Andreas Mantke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Public discussion and announcement list: [hidden email]
>>> Private contact to the organizers:
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> ****
>>>
>>> Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin!
>>> Florian
>>>
>>> --
>>> Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
>>> Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
>>> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
>>> Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
>>> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
>>>
>>> --
>>> deleted
>>>

> --
> Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]>
> Twitter: @andreaslibo Skype: andreaslibo
> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts

Martin Bayer Martin Bayer

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Frank -

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:44:49PM +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Frank Hofmann wrote on 2012-10-09 17:34:
> >I thought of taking my assistant with me (1.20m tall, black and white
> >skin, yellow fins). He may not have a valid passport to get into the
> >building.
>
> in case it is a kind symbol for free software, I am sure we can make
> an exception. ;-)

Only to eliminate any misunderstanding: the security checks at the venue
are not performed by us, but by the security staff of the Ministry. Rest
assured that there are also Federal and State Police agents around.

We are therefore not in the position to make exceptions for anyone. This
applies to both, attendees who are not registered or unable to identify
themselfs with an official document, and items that are not allowed or
that do not fit through the x-ray scanner.

Martin Bayer
Member of The Document Foundation

Miklos Vajna-2 Miklos Vajna-2

[libreoffice-conference] Android schedule

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:53:37PM +0200, Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everyone will get a printed schedule with the welcome bag. A digital
> version for downloading to your tablets, smartphones and notebooks
> is already available at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LiboCon2012.pdf

Actually for smartphones a dedicated app is way better, I think.

During the weekend I wrote a simple crawler[1] to extract the info from the
conf site. If you have an Android phone, you may want to check out
Giggity[2] (an opensource conf schedule viewer), it features the
schedule of our conference out of the box.

Cheers,

Miklos

[1] https://github.com/vmiklos/vmexam/tree/master/python/locon2012
[2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gaast.giggity&hl=en

Martin Bayer Martin Bayer

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Jean -

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:07:49PM +0200, Jean Weber wrote:
> We are not so fussy in Australia.

The fact is, the conference is not in Australia, but in Berlin.

Martin Bayer
Member of The Document Foundation

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

My point was that I don't know what the rules are in Berlin (or in
London), so I asked. Otherwise I might tend to assume (wrongly) that
the rules are the same as what I am used to.

--Jean

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Martin Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jean -
>
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:07:49PM +0200, Jean Weber wrote:
>> We are not so fussy in Australia.
>
> The fact is, the conference is not in Australia, but in Berlin.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Martin Bayer
> Member of The Document Foundation

Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Android schedule

Hi Miklos,

Am 09.10.2012 19:13, schrieb Miklos Vajna:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:53:37PM +0200, Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Everyone will get a printed schedule with the welcome bag. A digital
>> version for downloading to your tablets, smartphones and notebooks
>> is already available at
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LiboCon2012.pdf
>
> Actually for smartphones a dedicated app is way better, I think.
>
> During the weekend I wrote a simple crawler[1] to extract the info from the
> conf site. If you have an Android phone, you may want to check out
> Giggity[2] (an opensource conf schedule viewer), it features the
> schedule of our conference out of the box.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miklos
>
> [1] https://github.com/vmiklos/vmexam/tree/master/python/locon2012
> [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gaast.giggity&hl=en

thanks for the tool. I run the python module and bypassed the output to
a file "schedule.xml". Is this the intended use or should the target
file named in a different way.

I had not installed giggity yet. Will do so later.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]>
Twitter: @andreaslibo Skype: andreaslibo

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Does this security process include a scanner on people and/or a
pat-down as well? Just asking so I know what else to expect.

--Jean

Jean Weber wrote on 2012-10-09 20:08:
> Does this security process include a scanner on people and/or a
> pat-down as well? Just asking so I know what else to expect.

it's like at the airport - your bag gets through an x-ray, and you go
through a metal detector, that's it. :)

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Miklos Vajna-2 Miklos Vajna-2

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Android schedule

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:00:00PM +0200, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks for the tool. I run the python module and bypassed the output to
> a file "schedule.xml". Is this the intended use or should the target
> file named in a different way.

It's up to you how you name it. :) I put out the output to
http://people.freedesktop.org/~vmiklos/2012/libocon2012-schedule.xml,
that's the URL what Giggity advertises now. (Let me know if not having
it under conference.l.o is a problem.)

> I had not installed giggity yet. Will do so later.

Sure, feedback is welcome -- if it shows something incorrectly and it's
fine on the site.

Miklos

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jean Weber wrote on 2012-10-09 20:08:
>
>> Does this security process include a scanner on people and/or a
>> pat-down as well? Just asking so I know what else to expect.
>

> it's like at the airport - your bag gets through an x-ray, and you go
> through a metal detector, that's it. :)
>

> Florian

I always get a pat-down because my replacement joints set off the
metal detector. :-)

Jean

Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation Andreas Mantke - Document Foundation

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Android schedule

Hi Miklos,

Am 09.10.2012 19:13, schrieb Miklos Vajna:
(...)

> [1] https://github.com/vmiklos/vmexam/tree/master/python/locon2012
> [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gaast.giggity&hl=en

 I installed giggity and it worked out of the box. I have a bit an issue
with the table overview. It's to small for my eyes. Is there an option
to zoom into the table?

We changed the rooms for the conference on Friday. Could you create an
update of the schedule and upload that.

I try to add a short info about the Android schedule to the program site
later.

Cheers,
Andreas

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:30:10PM +0200, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I installed giggity and it worked out of the box. I have a bit an issue
> with the table overview. It's to small for my eyes. Is there an option
> to zoom into the table?

Hm, try menu -> settings -> block size -> large or huge.

> We changed the rooms for the conference on Friday. Could you create an
> update of the schedule and upload that.

I just re-ran the script. Feel free to ping off-list if more updates are
necessary.

> I try to add a short info about the Android schedule to the program site
> later.

Excellent. :)

Miklos

Martin Bayer Martin Bayer

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:38:27PM +0200, Jean Weber wrote:
> My point was that I don't know what the rules are in Berlin (or in
> London), so I asked. Otherwise I might tend to assume (wrongly) that
> the rules are the same as what I am used to.

What makes the difference is not so much the city or the country in
which the conference is held, but the fact that the venue is a building
of the federal government. That's why there will be security checks at
the entrance, including x-ray scanning of your luggage.

Nevertheless, carrying weapons of any kind is illegal in Germany during
any kind of public event, be it in a ministry building or not. But this
is more a question of common sense than of legislation.

While we're talking about common sense: If you were able to take an item
with you on a plane, it is likely you will be able to take it with you
when entering the conference center.

Am 09.10.2012 20:34, schrieb Miklos Vajna:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:30:10PM +0200, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  I installed giggity and it worked out of the box. I have a bit an issue
>> with the table overview. It's to small for my eyes. Is there an option
>> to zoom into the table?
>
> Hm, try menu -> settings -> block size -> large or huge.

Uups, there I hadn't expected that setting. Large and super large are
fine for my eyes :-)

>> We changed the rooms for the conference on Friday. Could you create an
>> update of the schedule and upload that.
>
> I just re-ran the script. Feel free to ping off-list if more updates are
> necessary.

Will do. Maybe you could rerun the crawler every evening of the
conference thus the schedule is up to date for the next day.

>> I try to add a short info about the Android schedule to the program site
>> later.
>
> Excellent. :)

Done. Let's see how it works for the user.

Cheers,
Andreas