[libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Posted by Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Dear speakers,
Dear guests,

just a few more days, and the LibreOffice Conference 2012 in Berlin will
start - everyone from the organizational committee is very much
anticipating this major event! We're now in the final round of
preparations, and look forward to an exciting conference, with lots of
interesting talks and workshops.

*** IMPORTANT *** PLEASE READ *** IMPORTANT *** PLEASE READ ***

(0) If you reply to this e-mail, you reply to a public mailing list.
(See below.)

(1) Please bring a valid photo ID to Berlin, ideally a passport. Due to
security regulations at the ministry, this is mandatory for entering the
venue. Even if we know you personally, without a valid photo ID, the
ministries security personnel will refuse you entering.

(2) Due to the mandatory security checks, please plan in enough time
when entering the venue. In a word: Arrive early - if the queues are
long, it might take you up to an hour to pass security, especially on
the first day.

(3) Please note that smoking is not allowed in the building.

(4) To all speakers: We plan to not only have a video archive from the
conference, but also do live streaming. All talks and workshops will be
made available to the general public free of charge as audio and video,
together with a copy of the slides. If you do not want to have your talk
recorded, or your slides published, please tell the organizers in advance.

(5) To all speakers: Please send your conference slides to
[hidden email] after your talk, unless you
object to having it published. We'd like to make as many slides
available to the general public as possible.

(6) The admission fee for the conference is 10 €, from which which we
provide you catering and your welcome pack. Please make sure you've paid
via PayPal or bank transfer prior to the conference.

conference. In case we have important news, like a change in the
schedule, this is the place where we will inform you instantly and reliably.

Everyone will get a printed schedule with the welcome bag. A digital
version for downloading to your tablets, smartphones and notebooks is
already available at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LiboCon2012.pdf

Information about the venue, planned activities and Berlin at large is
available at http://conference.libreoffice.org

We were able to organize a catering during the conference. For lunch, we
will offer a vegetarian soup, with meat to be added by those who want.
During the afternoon break, we will serve coffee, cake and cookies. Soft
drinks will be provided during the conference.

There will be a public wifi available, the login credentials will be
handed out at the venue. Due to the nature of a crowded conference,
there is no guaranteed bandwith, but we try to provide a stable and
reliable connection. If you have a business-critical need for internet
connectivity, please bring in your own 3G modem and SIM card.

Reasonable and approved travel expenses for speakers and attending
members can be reimbursed on a case-by-case basis. Please bring your
travel documents and invoices to the conference for easier processing.
Keep in mind that our funds are very limited, and travel reimbursement
is limited to those who have no other sponsor, and cannot afford the
trip on their own. Depending on the amount, not all funding requests can
be considered, or have to be cut down at a certain amount. All details
you should read before asking for travel refund are available at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Policies, where you will also
find the address to request funding (see the paragraph "Refunding via TDF").

In case of emergencies, you can reach me (Florian) during the conference
on my mobile at

     +49 151 14424108

or drop me an SMS to that number. To privately reach all organizers,
please write to [hidden email]

****

In a nutshell, here are all the contacts:

Emergency contact in Berlin (Florian): +49 151 14424108
Public discussion and announcement list: [hidden email]
Private contact to the organizers:
[hidden email]

****

Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin!
Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

26 Comments

12 « Prev
Norbert Thiebaud Norbert Thiebaud

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Martin Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nevertheless, carrying weapons of any kind is illegal in Germany during
> any kind of public event, be it in a ministry building or not. But this
> is more a question of common sense than of legislation.

a utility knife is not primarily a weapon, it is a tool... like most
thing it _can_ be used as a weapon but still. A newspaper can be
turned into a fairly efficient club with a better reach than a swiss
army knife... should I be worried about carrying one in the street of
berlin ?
Clearly common sens will not get you anywhere without the cultural
context of that 'common sens'

> While we're talking about common sense: If you were able to take an item
> with you on a plane, it is likely you will be able to take it with you
> when entering the conference center.

knifes and even guns are allowed in airplane.. in checked luggage.
and while we are on 'airport common sens'... does that mean that one
cannot bring any bottle of water inside the conference venue ?

Norbert

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

Hi Jean,

Am 09.10.2012 19:07, schrieb Jean Weber:
> We are not so fussy in Australia.
> --Jean

I doubt, that the australian government would let a few hundred
strangers into the main building of a government department without
a security check, similar to what we will experience in Berlin. ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan

Norbert Thiebaud Norbert Thiebaud

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> Am 09.10.2012 19:07, schrieb Jean Weber:
>> We are not so fussy in Australia.
>> --Jean
>
> I doubt, that the australian government would let a few hundred
> strangers into the main building of a government department without
> a security check, similar to what we will experience in Berlin. ;-)

Granted my Australian experience was quite some time ago... but I
lived 5 month in Perth... and I don't recall having been through a
security check (airport-like) at any point except when in the airport
to leave the country...

Similarly, IIRC we had, in LConf Paris, a 'party' organized in the
Ile-de-France Region's building, and we did not go through an X-Ray.
So, no, it is not a normal assumption that one would be subject to
such search. I mean, it is what it is, but that was no obvious by any
stretch of the imagination.

Norbert

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: [libreoffice-conference] LibreOffice Conference 2012 - Important Information

can we probably end this discussion? There are security checks, they
will be quick, and nothing more than you have at the airport, or what we
had at the Hungarian parliament in 2010. They are required for entering
the building, end of story.

It's really not worth discussing this over and over again. Let's focus
on the important things, like looking forward to an exciting conference. :-)

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Lionel Elie Mamane Lionel Elie Mamane

[libreoffice-conference] black/whiteboard?

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:53:37PM +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Dear speakers,

> (4) To all speakers: (...)

Will we have a black/whiteboard to scribble on during the
presentation?

--
Lionel

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: [libreoffice-conference] black/whiteboard?

Hi,

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote on 2012-10-14 15:07:
> Will we have a black/whiteboard to scribble on during the
> presentation?

from what I know, there will be no whiteboard.