[libreoffice-conference] Please participate: New Icon Test started

Posted by Björn Balazs Björn Balazs
Hi all,

this is a quick mail to inform you about the start of a
new icon test. Please participate and spread the word
about it widely. Last time we only had 12 femal
participants - we can do better than that :)

More details in my blog:

http://www.opensource-usability-
labs.com/kde/2012/10/12/participate-new-libreoffice-icon-
test-started/

Or go directly to the test:

http://userweave.net/survey/22e772e174ed479abe2658be44dedca2

Thank you in the name of the LibreOffice design team!

Björn
--
www.OpenUsability.org
www.OpenSource-Usability-Labs.com

3 Comments

Muthu Subramanian K-2 Muthu Subramanian K-2

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Please participate: New Icon Test started

A very nice survey (except that it was a little long).
This made me realize how confusing some icons are and how dependent
I am on the hover-help.

I would be keen to know its results, I hope those will be publicly
available?

[PS: For the icons that were too confusing or the choices weren't suitable
- I did not
       select any icon from the set - I hope thats how the survey is
supposed to be answered (?)]

Thanks!
Muthu Subramanian

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Björn Balazs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is a quick mail to inform you about the start of a
> new icon test. Please participate and spread the word
> about it widely. Last time we only had 12 femal
> participants - we can do better than that :)
>
> More details in my blog:
>
> http://www.opensource-usability-
> labs.com/kde/2012/10/12/participate-new-libreoffice-icon-
> test-started/
>
> Or go directly to the test:
>
> http://userweave.net/survey/22e772e174ed479abe2658be44dedca2
>
> Thank you in the name of the LibreOffice design team!
>
> Björn
> --
> www.OpenUsability.org
> www.OpenSource-Usability-Labs.com

Björn Balazs Björn Balazs

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Please participate: New Icon Test started

Hi Muthu, all,

Am Samstag, 13. Oktober 2012, 12:23:39 schrieb Muthu
Subramanian K:
> A very nice survey (except that it was a little long).

Yes, I know. Will make future ones shorter...

> This made me realize how confusing some icons are and
how dependent
> I am on the hover-help.

With this methodology we might be able to change that in
future... But to be honest, in the real software you have
some more queues that help you, like the position of the
icon.

> I would be keen to know its results, I hope those will
be publicly
> available?

The results of this and all other tests we do for
LibreOffice (and other Free Software products) are always
available on the open usability platform userweave.net -
a service I host that is running the aGPL software
UserWeave, we use for conducting the tests (And we are
looking for contributors that help us to further improve
UserWeave - and hence the Free Software Projects that
make use of it!).

Next to this I will give an insight in the results during
my talk on the LO conference:

http://conference.libreoffice.org/program/friday-premier-
track/reflections-on-ux

Additionally I will write some blog articles on this,
that will be available via the LO planet - probably after
the conference.

> [PS: For the icons that were too confusing or the
choices weren't suitable
> - I did not
>        select any icon from the set - I hope thats how
the survey is
> supposed to be answered (?)]

Perfect!

Björn

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/conference/
> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly
archived and cannot be
--
www.OpenUsability.org
www.OpenSource-Usability-Labs.com

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: [libreoffice-conference] Please participate: New Icon Test started

Hi,

sorry for interrupting, but this is a list about the LibreOffice
Conference. I propose we move that discussion to the design mailing list
from now on. People are aware about the efforts (which, by the way, I
really do appreciate a lot!), that's enough for conference information.

We have about 200 subscribers to this list, who want to stay up to date
on the conference topic, and I'd like to not spam them.

Thanks,
Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108