[libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

Modestas Rimkus Modestas Rimkus

[libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

Hi,

lacking technical knowledge, I'd like to double check if adding extra tags
<emph></emph> in the translation of Help would not break anything. When I
do so, Pootle complains about critical XML tags errors. Is it safe to mute
them?

My goal is to unify the appearance of shortcut keys, menu commands, etc. in
the translated text. In the original text, only some of them are emphasized
using the tags, while in the translation according to my language
recommendations I have to either use quotes or emphasize names of commands
and keys in a different way (e.g. bold).

So is this ok if translated string contains more pairs of <emph> tags than
the original?

Regards,
Modestas

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

> So is this ok if translated string contains more pairs of <emph> tags than
> the original?

Yeah, it’s OK; just ensure that the syntax is valid.

I do this all the time, a string like:

<variable id=\"infosec\">Choose <emph>File - Properties -
Security</emph> tab</variable>

I would render it into Spanish as:

Hope this helps.
Adolfo

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

Hello *,

I am a big fan of changing this also in the English original strings.
There are a lot of inconsistencies like such.

But good to know we can do it in our translations anyway.
Wasn't aware of it yet.

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
German Language Team
LibreOffice.org
IRC: SophiaS

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

Hi all,
Le 29/01/2018 à 17:49, Sophia Schröder a écrit :
> Hello *,
>
> I am a big fan of changing this also in the English original strings.
> There are a lot of inconsistencies like such.
>
> But good to know we can do it in our translations anyway.
> Wasn't aware of it yet.

For information, there is a guide explaining the tags here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UI_and_Help_files_Content_Guide

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Adding extra <emph> tags to the translation of Help

Thank you for that useful hint. :-)