[libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

[libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi L10N Community! Breaking news!

Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit, all editions done in your
browser.

This means that edition of textual XML is possible with automatic
generation of a patch submitted to gerrit. Therefore, English source
help files can be edited or corrected directly in master and with
security and peer review provided by TDF security infra.  Such
capability will be extremely handy for ad-hoc correction of typos and
linguistic mistakes we often do in English, as the LibreOffice project
is developed by many non-English native speakers.

This capacity will let help writers a direct access to patching without
having to download and build LibreOffice and its help. Although the Help
XML knowledge is still need to correctly write a help page, some of our
skilled NL leaders and translators can now fix typos directly, without
passing by the lengthy process of reporting typos, building help and more.

Please see a tutorial on editing help source files in our wiki page:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/GerritEditing

Happy help page fixing !

Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://tdf.io/joinus

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Olivier Hallot wrote on 06-04-18 03:15:

> Hi L10N Community! Breaking news!
>
> Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit, all editions done in your
> browser.
>
> This means that edition of textual XML is possible with automatic
> generation of a patch submitted to gerrit. Therefore, English source
> help files can be edited or corrected directly in master and with
> Please see a tutorial on editing help source files in our wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/GerritEditing

Great news, Olivier, Thanks!

I hope to be able to use it often :)

Cheers,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi all,
Le 06/04/2018 à 08:49, Cor Nouws a écrit :

> Olivier Hallot wrote on 06-04-18 03:15:
>> Hi L10N Community! Breaking news!
>>
>> Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit, all editions done in your
>> browser.
>>
>> This means that edition of textual XML is possible with automatic
>> generation of a patch submitted to gerrit. Therefore, English source
>> help files can be edited or corrected directly in master and with
>> Please see a tutorial on editing help source files in our wiki page:
>>
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/GerritEditing
>
> Great news, Olivier, Thanks!
>
> I hope to be able to use it often :)

Be really careful however that each change will go through each
language, so be sure that what is committed is the right fix/enhancement
and that there will be no other change to the string.
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Sophie wrote on 06-04-18 10:42:

> Be really careful however that each change will go through each
> language, so be sure that what is committed is the right fix/enhancement
> and that there will be no other change to the string.

Important warning - thanks :)

I've read the Wiki swiftly, and it is clear that - though convenient -
it's indeed not to use without care.

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
- volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org
- Member The Document Foundation

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hello Sophia

Glad you and others liked it.

The Foundation Manifesto includes "to an open and transparent
peer-reviewed software development process where technical excellence is
valued"

TDF will not spare efforts to appreciate all contributions by the
community. Lowering barriers to code contributions is critical to the
Foundation mission.

And thanks for the patches. Much needed. All of them being reviewed and
tested by committers.

Kind regards
Olivier

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://tdf.io/joinus

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

I experienced them in older versions of LibreOffice in German, where the
old behaviour were used.

I changed (and proofreaded, while at it) already our help in German with
the syntax:

<bookmark_value>blah; blubb</bookmark_value><boookmark_value>foo;
bar</bookmark_value>

So there should be correct.

But I will have a closer look in the next days for examples.
I think the patches with this kind of changes in
can wait and lurk in gerrit meanwhile. ;-)

Others can be merge meanwhile,
b/c the double spaces appear in flowing text only.

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
German Language Team
LibreOffice.org
IRC: SophiaS

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Well, the double spaces problem ...
I have removed all occurences in the Slovenian help, and now I will be
forced to go through that again manually ... L10n teams/languages do not
have same errors, see, and this way we are spending time on things that we
might have fixed long ago ...

Besides the fuzzy mark gettext should obviously be extended with a
"source-string-changed-but-it-might-not-affect-your-existing-translation-because-it-was-a-minor-edit"
tag which should not lead to untranslated status of the string in code and
the existing translation should be pulled from git as still a valid one.

This tag could be called in short "check-translation" or
"minor-source-change" or something similar.

Is this feasible with the gettext developers?

Lp, m.

Am 08.04.2018 12:14, schrieb Martin Srebotnjak:

> Well, the double spaces problem ...
> I have removed all occurences in the Slovenian help, and now I will be
> forced to go through that again manually ... L10n teams/languages do
> not
> have same errors, see, and this way we are spending time on things that
> we
> might have fixed long ago ...
>
> Besides the fuzzy mark gettext should obviously be extended with a
> "source-string-changed-but-it-might-not-affect-your-existing-translation-because-it-was-a-minor-edit"
> tag which should not lead to untranslated status of the string in code
> and
> the existing translation should be pulled from git as still a valid
> one.
>
> This tag could be called in short "check-translation" or
> "minor-source-change" or something similar.

This were the best solution, yes.

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder

---
LibreOffice
German Language Team

IRC: SophiaS

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Le dim. 8 avr. 2018 à 04:20, Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> Hello Sophia
>
> Glad you and others liked it.
>
> The Foundation Manifesto includes "to an open and transparent
> peer-reviewed software development process where technical excellence is
> valued"
>
> TDF will not spare efforts to appreciate all contributions by the
> community. Lowering barriers to code contributions is critical to the
> Foundation mission.

Breaking others work like builds and translation workflow is not what
exactly TDF values I hope...

> And thanks for the patches. Much needed. All of them being reviewed and
> tested by committers.

Patches adding spaces in a string for an index? Again I don't see how
adding a lot of work for contributors will help them to contribute. There
are a lot of typo in the new help content that should be corrected before
and not just pushed as is, expecting to be corrected by translators. Asking
more and more to them will just push them away as it's already the case for
several languages. Sorry but I'm really not happy by this dangerous move,
consequences are too high for the moment.
Cheers
Sophie

> Kind regards
> Olivier
>
> Em 07/04/2018 16:04, Sophia Schröder escreveu:
> > These are great news! Love it!
> >
> > Exactly what I was asking about a day before in one of our IRC channels,
> > b/c I was clueless about how to use gerrit properly.
> >
> > I uses the opportunity to commit my first patches (only whitespace
> > cleanups for now)
> > to gerrit in time of our Hackfest / German Community Meeting in Hamburg.
> > So yes, it works! :-D
> >
> > What would be really really good were a) a review of course and b) an
> > jenkins/ci buildbot for help
> > for mistakenly merge patches which break master or branches in cases of
> > backport.
> >
> > Am 06.04.2018 um 03:15 schrieb Olivier Hallot:
> >> Hi L10N Community! Breaking news!
> >>
> >> Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit, all editions done in your
> >> browser.
> >>
> >> This means that edition of textual XML is possible with automatic
> >> generation of a patch submitted to gerrit. Therefore, English source
> >> help files can be edited or corrected directly in master and with
> >> security and peer review provided by TDF security infra.  Such
> >> capability will be extremely handy for ad-hoc correction of typos and
> >> linguistic mistakes we often do in English, as the LibreOffice project
> >> is developed by many non-English native speakers.
> >>
> >> This capacity will let help writers a direct access to patching without
> >> having to download and build LibreOffice and its help. Although the Help
> >> XML knowledge is still need to correctly write a help page, some of our
> >> skilled NL leaders and translators can now fix typos directly, without
> >> passing by the lengthy process of reporting typos, building help and
> >> more.
> >>
> >> Please see a tutorial on editing help source files in our wiki page:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/GerritEditing
> >>
> >> Happy help page fixing !
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >

> --
> Olivier Hallot
> LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
> Comunidade LibreOffice
> Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Local Time: UTC-03:00
> http://tdf.io/joinus

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi Sophia,
Le 08/04/2018 à 12:01, Sophia Schröder a écrit :

> I experienced them in older versions of LibreOffice in German, where the
> old behaviour were used.
>
> I changed (and proofreaded, while at it) already our help in German with
> the syntax:
>
> <bookmark_value>blah; blubb</bookmark_value><boookmark_value>foo;
> bar</bookmark_value>
>
> So there should be correct.

I don't understand what you want to achieve here. The space between
'blah;' and 'blubb' is not needed, the help index is build as blah=first
level, blubb=second level of indentation.
See here for an explanation
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UI_and_Help_files_Content_Guide#.3Cbookmark_value.3E.3C.2Fbookmark_value.3E
I won't add any space because as I said it's a great way to recognize
that it's an index entry.

> But I will have a closer look in the next days for examples.
> I think the patches with this kind of changes in
> can wait and lurk in gerrit meanwhile. ;-)
>
> Others can be merge meanwhile,
> b/c the double spaces appear in flowing text only.

There are a lot of double spaces added in sentences where it is real
spaces (and will have an incidence in the look and quality of the en_US
help), I think (I might be wrong) this is the a problem with the help
tool that should be corrected, or at least be removed before committing
the patch. I've absolutely no time to dedicate to it at the moment, but
if someone would like to have a look at it, it would be great.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi,

Regarding adding the space between the first and the second index entry
inside the bookmarks,
I think it would still be okay to change it to but would cause too much
noice for too little win (consistency), indeed.
So no need to spend more efforts in this. All I wanted to know. ;-)
It was just a random file I picked and submitted to gerrit to get a
feedback about this kind of changes.
I did it also in other patches wherein I will revert that.

And I will also fix the other issues I caused in my patches regarding
XML syntax of course,
hoping the xmllint checker chloph wants to integrate will help me and
others in this regards
so nobody needs to review XML mess in help related commits anymore.

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
German Language Team
LibreOffice.org
IRC: SophiaS

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi Sophia, *,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Sophia Schröder
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> […]
> And I will also fix the other issues I caused in my patches regarding XML
> syntax of course,
> hoping the xmllint checker chloph wants to integrate will help me and others
> in this regards
> so nobody needs to review XML mess in help related commits anymore.

FYI: that is active now - it doesn't build LibreOffice, it just uses
xmllint to check the xhp files against the dtd, and thus should be
pretty quick.

ciao
Christian

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi cloph, *,

many, many thanks, very much appreciated. :-D

Btw: Someone claimed a misspelled word in German UI: "Zahl~format"
instead of "Zahlen~format",
how it were right.

How can I find and fix such strings? Opengrok and Gerrit? Pootle wasn't
helpful at all in this regard.

And is it possible (or even helpful) to enable xmllint for changes in
.xc* configuration files?

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
German Language Team
LibreOffice.org
IRC: SophiaS

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi Sophia
Le 11/04/2018 à 11:24, Sophia Schröder a écrit :

> Hi cloph, *,
>
> many, many thanks, very much appreciated. :-D
>
> Btw: Someone claimed a misspelled word in German UI: "Zahl~format"
> instead of "Zahlen~format",
> how it were right.
>
> How can I find and fix such strings? Opengrok and Gerrit? Pootle wasn't
> helpful at all in this regard.

If you fix it in Gerrit, it will be overwritten in Pootle. You can
search for it in Opengrok or Gerrit, then correct it in Pootle. You can
also install the .qtz package to get the KeyID of the string
see here how to install it:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language

Cheers
Sophie

Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi Sophie, *,
> If you fix it in Gerrit, it will be overwritten in Pootle. You can
> search for it in Opengrok or Gerrit, then correct it in Pootle. You can
> also install the .qtz package to get the KeyID of the string
> see here how to install it:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

Exactly my problem: In Pootle is not such occurence of "Zahl~format" in
our translation
but a hint as comment: "Format -> Zahl~format".
So I assumed the problem with the wrong written word must be somewhere else,
most probably in my poor knowledge in some .xc* file not covered by Pootle.

--
Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
German Language Team
LibreOffice.org
IRC: SophiaS

Valter Mura Valter Mura

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Breaking News!... Help pages can be edited directly in gerrit.

Hi Olivier

This is a great news!

I'm sure I'll collaborate on it in order to fix some typos :)

Ciao

--
Inviato dal mio dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Perdonate la brevità.