[libreoffice-l10n] Current status of Weblate?

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

[libreoffice-l10n] Current status of Weblate?

Hi,

I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I understand
it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of LO 6.4.
However, currently the application looks more like testing than ready
for efficient translating.

To be specific:
- slow performance,
- translation memory and terminology are not included (should we add
them ourselves?),
- instructions for translating refer to old Pootle, e.g. [1].

Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?

Thank you,
Stanislav

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice

Allan Nordhøy Allan Nordhøy

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Current status of Weblate?

Den 02.11.2019 14:15, skrev Stanislav Horáček:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I
> understand it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of
> LO 6.4. However, currently the application looks more like testing
> than ready for efficient translating.
>
> To be specific:
> - slow performance,
In terms of what? I find it is sometimes slow when a lot of strings are
loaded in zen mode.
> - translation memory and terminology are not included (should we add
> them ourselves?),
It would have to be done by someone.
> - instructions for translating refer to old Pootle, e.g. [1].
https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest is a honest attempt at documenting
Weblate.

> Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
> wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?
Depends what you mean. Translations are not saved on the demo interface
now AFAIK.

> Thank you,
> Stanislav
>

> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice

allan / kingu

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Allan Nordhøy kirjoitti 2.11.2019 klo 15.21:
> Den 02.11.2019 14:15, skrev Stanislav Horáček:
>> Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
>> wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?
> Depends what you mean. Translations are not saved on the demo interface
> now AFAIK.

The translations on https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/ are saved.
They will not be thrown away.

See the earlier message from Christian:
https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg12085.html

Ilmari

Den 02.11.2019 14:32, skrev Ilmari Lauhakangas:
> Allan Nordhøy kirjoitti 2.11.2019 klo 15.21:
>> Den 02.11.2019 14:15, skrev Stanislav Horáček:
>>> Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
>>> wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?
>> Depends what you mean. Translations are not saved on the demo interface
>> now AFAIK.
>
> The translations on https://weblate.documentfoundation.org are saved.
> They will not be thrown away.
On closer inspection it was just
https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/user/kingu/ not having sufficient
rights to save translations.
If someone can add that, it would be great. I did not attend LibOCon
unfortunately.

> See the earlier message from Christian:
> https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg12085.html
>
> Ilmari

~ kingu

Dne 02. 11. 19 v 14:21 Allan Nordhøy napsal(a):

> Den 02.11.2019 14:15, skrev Stanislav Horáček:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I
>> understand it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of
>> LO 6.4. However, currently the application looks more like testing
>> than ready for efficient translating.
>>
>> To be specific:
>> - slow performance,
> In terms of what? I find it is sometimes slow when a lot of strings are
> loaded in zen mode.

The most important are saving translated strings (and going to the next
one) and searching in strings - they are significantly slower than the
same actions in Pootle (based on my today's experience, it could be
temporary).

>> - translation memory and terminology are not included (should we add
>> them ourselves?),
> It would have to be done by someone.
>> - instructions for translating refer to old Pootle, e.g. [1].
> https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest is a honest attempt at documenting
> Weblate.
>>
>> Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
>> wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?
> Depends what you mean. Translations are not saved on the demo interface
> now AFAIK.

If e.g. translation memory is going to be added, then it makes sense to
wait for the addition - otherwise I will start to translate without it.

>> Thank you,
>> Stanislav
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice
>>
> allan / kingu

S.

sophie sophie

Le 02/11/2019 à 15:41, Allan Nordhøy a écrit :

> Den 02.11.2019 14:32, skrev Ilmari Lauhakangas:
>> Allan Nordhøy kirjoitti 2.11.2019 klo 15.21:
>>> Depends what you mean. Translations are not saved on the demo interface
>>> now AFAIK.
>>
>> The translations on https://weblate.documentfoundation.org are saved.
>> They will not be thrown away.
> On closer inspection it was just
> https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/user/kingu/ not having sufficient
> rights to save translations.
> If someone can add that, it would be great. I did not attend LibOCon
> unfortunately.

You were not a translator in Pootle, you role was "member", if Olav is
ok, I can add you as a translator in Weblate.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Current status of Weblate?

Hi Stanislav, *,

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Stanislav Horáček
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I understand
> it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of LO 6.4.

Already is...

> To be specific:
> - slow performance,

Can you be more specific?
Is it slow for you all the time or only when I update templates?
Apart from the known slowdowns during this operation, weblate doesn't
run on the final hardware yet, we'll have a dedicated machine to run
the translation services on, so performance overall should be a bit
better - but if you experience overall slowdown, please let us know
for what operations exactly.

> - translation memory and terminology are not included (should we add
> them ourselves?),

No, don't add it yourself, I added translation memory from pootle, but
he way weblate makes use of it doesn't scale for large projects like
ours.
It is again more suited for many little projects. In other words:
Translation memory view is slow and also matches way too loosely to be
useful.
Translation memory will be handled by a separate translation memory
server that we'll hook up to weblate.

What is in weblate is the translation history/cross-referencing of
other same/very similar translated strings.

> - instructions for translating refer to old Pootle, e.g. [1].
>
> Is addressing of these issues planned? In other words, is it worth to
> wait with translation, or should we live with what we have now?

No, don't wait with translation - 6.4 translation is already in
weblate, there won't be another way to translate for 6.4.

6.3 translations are so far still on pootle, but will eventually also
copied over to weblate instance.

ciao
Christian

kees538-2 kees538-2

Christian Lohmaier schreef op 05.11.2019 12:09:

> Hi Stanislav, *,
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Stanislav Horáček
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I
>> understand
>> it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of LO 6.4.
>
> Already is...
>
>> To be specific:
>> - slow performance,
>
> Can you be more specific?
> Is it slow for you all the time or only when I update templates?

When I translate or change an item, klikking on safe takes about 15
seconds to safe.

kees538-2 kees538-2

[hidden email] schreef op 08.11.2019 10:07:

> Christian Lohmaier schreef op 05.11.2019 12:09:
>> Hi Stanislav, *,
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Stanislav Horáček
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to ask about the current status of Weblate. If I
>>> understand
>>> it correctly, only Weblate will be used for translation of LO 6.4.
>>
>> Already is...
>>
>>> To be specific:
>>> - slow performance,
>>
>> Can you be more specific?
>> Is it slow for you all the time or only when I update templates?
>
> When I translate or change an item, klikking on safe takes about 15
> seconds to safe.
Should be clicking ofcourse ;-0