[libreoffice-l10n] Errors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Dimitris Spingos Dimitris Spingos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] Errors

Hi,
Why do I get an error "Invalid XML" for the string 04020100.xhp
hd_id3157557 37 help.text.
English text: <ahelp hid="."/><link href="text/swriter/01/04020100.xhp"
name="Section">Section</link>
Greek text: <ahelp hid="."/><link href="text/swriter/01/04020100.xhp"
name="Section">Ενότητα</link>.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Andras Timar Andras Timar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Errors

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:53 AM, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ Σ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Why do I get an error "Invalid XML" for the string 04020100.xhp
> hd_id3157557 37 help.text.
> English text: <ahelp hid="."/><link href="text/swriter/01/04020100.xhp"
> name="Section">Section</link>
> Greek text: <ahelp hid="."/><link href="text/swriter/01/04020100.xhp"
> name="Section">Ενότητα</link>.

Hi,

I think the checker does not like <ahelp hid="."/>. I'll rewrite it to
long form in help source, <ahelp hid="."></ahelp>.

Regards,
Andras

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

The new version looks fine but I do have problems with the "Critical
errors".
Some examples:
When translating a plain text, for example "Print Preview Bar" and
inserting XML tags ("Print <emph>Preview Bar</emph>") in the translated
text I get an error. Error message: XML tags.

If I insert the quotation marks « and » ( instead of the " and "), press
Send and then open it again, it is opened with the error message "Double
quotes" and the Send button is grayed out.

Translating "Print Statement [Runtime]" to "Print-uttrykk [køyretid]"
returns the error "Placeholders". Inserting the original text into my
translation using the + button or by copy and paste, pressing Send works
as normal. Changing my text to "Print-uttrykk [Rundtime]" it is
accepted, but "Print-uttrykk" or, as mentioned above, "Print-uttrykk
[køyretid]" is not. Error message: Placeholders.

Tried on LibreOffice 4.4 - Help. Windows 7. Norwegian nynorsk (nn)
translation.
Kolbjørn

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Dwayne Bailey Dwayne Bailey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

On 30 May 2015 at 12:51, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The new version looks fine but I do have problems with the "Critical
> errors".
> Some examples:
> When translating a plain text, for example "Print Preview Bar" and
> inserting XML tags ("Print <emph>Preview Bar</emph>") in the translated
> text I get an error. Error message: XML tags.
>

Ideally, please point to a specific unit, you can get the permalink from
the unit number at the end of the breadcrumbs for the unit you are editing.

Also note.  The checks have not changed.  The editor has changed in that it
prevents a Critical failure from being submitted to Pootle.  The logic is
that we want to stop breakages much much earlier in the process.

Now the check is right (the check is also dumb).  There is no <emph> in the
source, so it assume that you've likely broken something.  Its XML and thus
its risky.

Because you know better you can click on the Mute symbol. The small (-)
after the check name.  If a check is muted it means you've signaled that it
is a false positive and Pootle should ignore it for that unit.


> If I insert the quotation marks « and » ( instead of the " and "), press
> Send and then open it again, it is opened with the error message "Double
> quotes" and the Send button is grayed out.
>

So quote are not critical.  Pootle has actually accepted the unit but
warned that your quotes are different.

Which raises another issue.  We build rules for languages to take into
consideration their specific quoting styles. This reduces false positives
on quotes.

If you can let me know for nn what the quoting style is then I can add that.


>
> Translating "Print Statement [Runtime]" to "Print-uttrykk [køyretid]"
> returns the error "Placeholders". Inserting the original text into my
> translation using the + button or by copy and paste, pressing Send works as
> normal. Changing my text to "Print-uttrykk [Rundtime]" it is accepted, but
> "Print-uttrykk" or, as mentioned above, "Print-uttrykk [køyretid]" is not.
> Error message: Placeholders.
>

Yip false positive again.

I need some help here.  For OpenOffice.org [XXX] was used as a variable in
some files.  With the change to use PO directly in LibreOffice I'm not sure
if that has changed.  In fact if someone has an idea of the correct
variable styles for LO across the project I can likely remove some
redundant ones.


>
> Tried on LibreOffice 4.4 - Help. Windows 7. Norwegian nynorsk (nn)
> translation.


Thanks for the testing.


>
> Kolbjørn
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>



--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Andras Timar Andras Timar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

Hi,

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Dwayne Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I need some help here.  For OpenOffice.org [XXX] was used as a variable in
> some files.  With the change to use PO directly in LibreOffice I'm not sure
> if that has changed.  In fact if someone has an idea of the correct
> variable styles for LO across the project I can likely remove some
> redundant ones.

[XXX] are placeholders in Mac and Windows installer files but not
anywhere else. Nothing changed in this regard in LibreOffice. In help
there are two placeholders really, $[officename] and %PRODUCTNAME.
[Runtime] is not a placeholder, it is just a word in brackets.
Unfortunately there is no unified placeholder style across the whole
codebase. But all are the same as in Openoffice.org.

Out of interest, does new Pootle have the "Invalid XML" check? That is
the most useful IMHO (for help).

Best regards,
Andras

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Dwayne Bailey
Den 30.05.2015 14:36, Dwayne Bailey skreiv:

> On 30 May 2015 at 12:51, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The new version looks fine but I do have problems with the
>     "Critical errors".
>     Some examples:
>     When translating a plain text, for example "Print Preview Bar" and
>     inserting XML tags ("Print <emph>Preview Bar</emph>") in the
>     translated text I get an error. Error message: XML tags.
>
>
> Ideally, please point to a specific unit, you can get the permalink
> from the unit number at the end of the breadcrumbs for the unit you
> are editing.
Sorry, wasn't aware of that. But in this case it applies to all units.

>
> Also note.  The checks have not changed.  The editor has changed in
> that it prevents a Critical failure from being submitted to Pootle.  
> The logic is that we want to stop breakages much much earlier in the
> process.
>
> Now the check is right (the check is also dumb).  There is no <emph>
> in the source, so it assume that you've likely broken something.  Its
> XML and thus its risky.
>
> Because you know better you can click on the Mute symbol. The small
> (-) after the check name.  If a check is muted it means you've
> signaled that it is a false positive and Pootle should ignore it for
> that unit.
Wasn't aware of this either. Thought it was a warning sign or something
:-). Thank you.

>
>
>     If I insert the quotation marks « and » ( instead of the " and "),
>     press Send and then open it again, it is opened with the error
>     message "Double quotes" and the Send button is grayed out.
>
>
> So quote are not critical.  Pootle has actually accepted the unit but
> warned that your quotes are different.
>
> Which raises another issue.  We build rules for languages to take into
> consideration their specific quoting styles. This reduces false
> positives on quotes.
>
> If you can let me know for nn what the quoting style is then I can add
> that.
For Norwegian bokmål (language code nb) and nynorsk (nn) the recommended
quotes are
At start « (Unicode hex 00AB); at end » (Unicode hex 00BB).
I do not think we needs the quote in quote characters neither the quotes
in quotes in quotes.
Is it possible to use the <quote> tag and let LibreOffice "translate" it
to the language used?
Kolbjørn

>
>
>     Translating "Print Statement [Runtime]" to "Print-uttrykk
>     [køyretid]" returns the error "Placeholders". Inserting the
>     original text into my translation using the + button or by copy
>     and paste, pressing Send works as normal. Changing my text to
>     "Print-uttrykk [Rundtime]" it is accepted, but "Print-uttrykk" or,
>     as mentioned above, "Print-uttrykk [køyretid]" is not. Error
>     message: Placeholders.
>
>
> Yip false positive again.
>
> I need some help here.  For OpenOffice.org [XXX] was used as a
> variable in some files.  With the change to use PO directly in
> LibreOffice I'm not sure if that has changed.  In fact if someone has
> an idea of the correct variable styles for LO across the project I can
> likely remove some redundant ones.
>
>
>     Tried on LibreOffice 4.4 - Help. Windows 7. Norwegian nynorsk (nn)
>     translation.
>
>
> Thanks for the testing.
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Dwayne Bailey Dwayne Bailey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Andras Timar
On 30 May 2015 at 14:13, Andras Timar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Dwayne Bailey <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I need some help here.  For OpenOffice.org [XXX] was used as a variable
> in
> > some files.  With the change to use PO directly in LibreOffice I'm not
> sure
> > if that has changed.  In fact if someone has an idea of the correct
> > variable styles for LO across the project I can likely remove some
> > redundant ones.
>
> [XXX] are placeholders in Mac and Windows installer files but not
> anywhere else. Nothing changed in this regard in LibreOffice. In help
> there are two placeholders really, $[officename] and %PRODUCTNAME.
> [Runtime] is not a placeholder, it is just a word in brackets.
> Unfortunately there is no unified placeholder style across the whole
> codebase. But all are the same as in Openoffice.org.
>

Thanks.  I won't try improve that just yet :)


> Out of interest, does new Pootle have the "Invalid XML" check? That is
> the most useful IMHO (for help).
>

It is installed and enabled on Pootle.  But I don't see it being exposed to
users.  So I'll need to investigate that.


--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Similar translations error

When copying from "Similar translations" the new line code (\n) is not
shown in the input box where I write my translations. Error messages:
Number of sentences; Newline.
But when clicking on the next line to be translated the \n is visible in
the translated text above the input box. Clicking on this text for
translating again, the \n is gone. Not even a space to replace it. Error
messages: Number of sentences; Newline.
It is no problem inserting the missing \n by hand, but I think this is
an undesirable behavior.

Example:
Unit #31201128.
English:
"The selected filter $(FILTER) is not included in your edition.\n
You can find information about orders on our homepage."

Similar translation:
"Det valde filteret $(FILTER) er ikkje med i den utgåva du brukar.\n
Du finn informasjon om bestilling på heimesida vår."

Input box after copying:
"Det valde filteret $(FILTER) er ikkje med i den utgåva du brukar.
Du finn informasjon om bestilling på heimesida vår."

Translated: As in Similar translation.

Input box, translating again:
"Det valde filteret $(FILTER) er ikkje med i den utgåva du brukar.Du
finn informasjon om bestilling på heimesida vår."

Kolbjørn

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Andras Timar
Den 30.05.2015 15:13, Andras Timar skreiv:
> [XXX] are placeholders in Mac and Windows installer files but not
> anywhere else. Nothing changed in this regard in LibreOffice. In help
> there are two placeholders really, $[officename] and %PRODUCTNAME.
> [Runtime] is not a placeholder, it is just a word in brackets.
> Unfortunately there is no unified placeholder style across the whole
> codebase. But all are the same as in Openoffice.org.
Is there a way to tell Pootle that [Runtime] and other words in square
brackets are not placeholders except for $[Officename]?
Or perhaps that $[Officename] and %PRODUCTNAME are the only ones?

I do know nothing about programming Pootle so perhaps this is silly
questions.
Kolbjoern
>
> Out of interest, does new Pootle have the "Invalid XML" check? That is
> the most useful IMHO (for help).
>
> Best regards,
> Andras


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Dwayne Bailey Dwayne Bailey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Kolbjørn Stuestøl
On 30 May 2015 at 17:59, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den 30.05.2015 14:36, Dwayne Bailey skreiv:
>
>> On 30 May 2015 at 12:51, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>
>>
>>     If I insert the quotation marks « and » ( instead of the " and "),
>>     press Send and then open it again, it is opened with the error
>>     message "Double quotes" and the Send button is grayed out.
>>
>>
>> So quote are not critical.  Pootle has actually accepted the unit but
>> warned that your quotes are different.
>>
>> Which raises another issue.  We build rules for languages to take into
>> consideration their specific quoting styles. This reduces false positives
>> on quotes.
>>
>> If you can let me know for nn what the quoting style is then I can add
>> that.
>>
> For Norwegian bokmål (language code nb) and nynorsk (nn) the recommended
> quotes are
> At start « (Unicode hex 00AB); at end » (Unicode hex 00BB).
>

I'll add these thanks.


> I do not think we needs the quote in quote characters neither the quotes
> in quotes in quotes.
> Is it possible to use the <quote> tag and let LibreOffice "translate" it
> to the language used?


The quotes check will not prevent you from submitting a unit.  It is simply
a warning to pick up possible issues.  So do what is needed for your
language, don't try make Pootle happy.  Critical errors are different,
those relate will be Placeables and XML related.

I realise we're exposing stylistic checks but showing them in red, I'll see
how we can fix that and am tracking it here
https://github.com/translate/pootle/issues/3776

--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Dwayne Bailey Dwayne Bailey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Kolbjørn Stuestøl
On 31 May 2015 at 19:01, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den 30.05.2015 15:13, Andras Timar skreiv:
>
>> [XXX] are placeholders in Mac and Windows installer files but not
>> anywhere else. Nothing changed in this regard in LibreOffice. In help
>> there are two placeholders really, $[officename] and %PRODUCTNAME.
>> [Runtime] is not a placeholder, it is just a word in brackets.
>> Unfortunately there is no unified placeholder style across the whole
>> codebase. But all are the same as in Openoffice.org.
>>
> Is there a way to tell Pootle that [Runtime] and other words in square
> brackets are not placeholders except for $[Officename]?
> Or perhaps that $[Officename] and %PRODUCTNAME are the only ones?
>
> I do know nothing about programming Pootle so perhaps this is silly
> questions.
>

No not a silly question.

My one option is to look at a checker class for LibreOffice help vs UI.
That would allow us to switch some things on/off just for docs.  To be
honest I might just want to remove the [var] style variables or look at
limiting them to the actual files in which those occur.

But I'll want to do that after the delpyment.

--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Critical errors

In reply to this post by Dwayne Bailey
Den 01.06.2015 00:49, Dwayne Bailey skreiv:
> On 30 May 2015 at 17:59, Kolbjørn Stuestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For Norwegian bokmål (language code nb) and nynorsk (nn) the recommended
>> quotes are
>> At start « (Unicode hex 00AB); at end » (Unicode hex 00BB).
>>
> I'll add these thanks.
Thank you.

>
>
>> I do not think we needs the quote in quote characters neither the quotes
>> in quotes in quotes.
>> Is it possible to use the <quote> tag and let LibreOffice "translate" it
>> to the language used?
>
> The quotes check will not prevent you from submitting a unit.  It is simply
> a warning to pick up possible issues.  So do what is needed for your
> language, don't try make Pootle happy.  Critical errors are different,
> those relate will be Placeables and XML related.
Yes, I understand.
>
> I realise we're exposing stylistic checks but showing them in red, I'll see
> how we can fix that and am tracking it here
> https://github.com/translate/pootle/issues/3776
It would be fine.

Kolbjoern

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Invalid XML

In reply to this post by Dwayne Bailey
It looks like the error function are reading < and > as XML tags.
The text "… new style of footnotes with <ref> and <references> tags that
…" is marked correctly as Invalid XML. (Unit #31209006). But they are
not meant to be XML tags. Here they are plain text.
Is it desirable to use &lt; and &gt; (or similar codes) instead of < and
 > to avoid the error message?

Kolbjoern




--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Pootle Invalid XML

Den 01.06.2015 13:12, Andras Timar skreiv:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Kolbjørn Stuestøl
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It looks like the error function are reading < and > as XML tags.
>> The text "… new style of footnotes with <ref> and <references> tags that …"
>> is marked correctly as Invalid XML. (Unit #31209006). But they are not meant
>> to be XML tags. Here they are plain text.
>> Is it desirable to use &lt; and &gt; (or similar codes) instead of < and >
>> to avoid the error message?
>>
> IMHO it's easier to mark it as false positive in Pootle. There are
> only a few of them in case of 'Invalid XML' check. Every string change
> causes 100x work for 100x languages, not to mention engineer's time.
>
> Regards,
> Andras
>
>
You are right. I thought that &lt; and &gt; perhaps is a valid code for
< and > as in HTML.
Of course, there are more important tasks than this one.
(Sent copy to list too)
Kolbjoern


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted