[libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

[libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

Perhaps the most complex translatable page in our wiki now uses
Translate extension:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office

The change is unfortunately disruptive for the languages that had the
most complete translations (sorry, Japanese team!). There is no point in
using the migration tool, because the translations have been broken into
smaller units. Please pick the earlier version from the version history
and copy translated content from it.

To make things a bit less painful, I will add some often-repeated
translations (yes/no/supported/not supported) for es, fr, ja, ko, ru,
sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans. I would already have done it, but our server
infrastructure is experiencing problems that prevent working on the
wiki. So please let me do these first.

As a positive thing, the translations are now in smaller units, so there
will be less annoying wiki markup for the translators to see while they
work. I scripted the addition of <translate> elements to table cells and
manually did the rest. I did not aim for a 100% perfectionist approach,
because it would have been too much work.

Ilmari

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

On 11.10.2019 14:00, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:

> Perhaps the most complex translatable page in our wiki now uses
> Translate extension:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office
>
> The change is unfortunately disruptive for the languages that had the
> most complete translations (sorry, Japanese team!). There is no point
> in using the migration tool, because the translations have been broken
> into smaller units. Please pick the earlier version from the version
> history and copy translated content from it.
>
> To make things a bit less painful, I will add some often-repeated
> translations (yes/no/supported/not supported) for es, fr, ja, ko, ru,
> sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans. I would already have done it, but our
> server infrastructure is experiencing problems that prevent working on
> the wiki. So please let me do these first.
>
> As a positive thing, the translations are now in smaller units, so
> there will be less annoying wiki markup for the translators to see
> while they work. I scripted the addition of <translate> elements to
> table cells and manually did the rest. I did not aim for a 100%
> perfectionist approach, because it would have been too much work.

And now, to my horror, I realise that the yes/no/partial templates had
been used incorrectly in the page. I should have fixed the use of the
templates before marking the page for translation. Unfortunately, I will
be unable to do this before Monday next week. I hope it is not an
inconvenience, but please refrain from touching the translations until I
fix things.

I will have to
1. enable translations for the templates themselves
2. translate their texts to the languages I mentioned in the previous
email
3. make it so the template instances in the table cells are always of
the format {{yes}}, so all additional text is always outside the
instance
4. refer to the templates using the form {{yes{{#translation:}}}}, so
the desired translation will be picked from the template translation

Ilmari

On 11.10.2019 17:10, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:

> On 11.10.2019 14:00, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
>> Perhaps the most complex translatable page in our wiki now uses
>> Translate extension:
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office
>>
>> The change is unfortunately disruptive for the languages that had the
>> most complete translations (sorry, Japanese team!). There is no point
>> in using the migration tool, because the translations have been broken
>> into smaller units. Please pick the earlier version from the version
>> history and copy translated content from it.
>>
>> To make things a bit less painful, I will add some often-repeated
>> translations (yes/no/supported/not supported) for es, fr, ja, ko, ru,
>> sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans. I would already have done it, but our
>> server infrastructure is experiencing problems that prevent working on
>> the wiki. So please let me do these first.
>>
>> As a positive thing, the translations are now in smaller units, so
>> there will be less annoying wiki markup for the translators to see
>> while they work. I scripted the addition of <translate> elements to
>> table cells and manually did the rest. I did not aim for a 100%
>> perfectionist approach, because it would have been too much work.
>
> And now, to my horror, I realise that the yes/no/partial templates had
> been used incorrectly in the page. I should have fixed the use of the
> templates before marking the page for translation. Unfortunately, I
> will be unable to do this before Monday next week. I hope it is not an
> inconvenience, but please refrain from touching the translations until
> I fix things.
>
> I will have to
> 1. enable translations for the templates themselves
> 2. translate their texts to the languages I mentioned in the previous
> email
> 3. make it so the template instances in the table cells are always of
> the format {{yes}}, so all additional text is always outside the
> instance
> 4. refer to the templates using the form {{yes{{#translation:}}}}, so
> the desired translation will be picked from the template translation

All right, I managed to sneak in several hours of work during the
weekend after all. Thanks to Adolfo, who intervened at a time the
behaviour of MediaWiki had me completely confused regarding the
translation of templates.

So now the templates

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Yes
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:No
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Partial

have translations in es, fr, ja, ko, ru, sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans (and
some extra ones thanks to Adolfo). I am not 100% sure about Partial in
zh-tw and zh-hans, so do correct me if I messed it up.

The cache for the translated Feature comparison pages has been busted by
translating the Introduction heading. You can now proceed with
translating the page.

Even more work was put into excluding unnecessary strings from the
translations. Hopefully everything is fine.

Ilmari

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

Sorry, but what you ported over is really to no use. Please make Slovenian
page untranslated, fully in English.

I will not waste my time with this page after you trashed all my past
translations of it.

Lp, m,.

V V ned., 13. okt. 2019 ob 11:18 je oseba Ilmari Lauhakangas <
[hidden email]> napisala:

> [...]
> translation of templates.
>
> So now the templates
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Yes
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:No
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Partial
>
> have translations in es, fr, ja, ko, ru, sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans (and
> some extra ones thanks to Adolfo). I am not 100% sure about Partial in
> zh-tw and zh-hans, so do correct me if I messed it up.
>
> The cache for the translated Feature comparison pages has been busted by
> translating the Introduction heading. You can now proceed with
> translating the page.
>
> Even more work was put into excluding unnecessary strings from the
> translations. Hopefully everything is fine.
>
> Ilmari

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

Can you be more specific? I did not port anything over, except the
heading "Introduction". The yes/no/partial strings come from the
templates now.

If you don't want to copy the old translations to the new system, I will
do the work myself.

Ilmari

On 13.10.2019 13:07, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Yes
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:No
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Partial
>>
>> have translations in es, fr, ja, ko, ru, sl, tr, zh-tw and zh-hans
>> (and
>> some extra ones thanks to Adolfo). I am not 100% sure about Partial
>> in
>> zh-tw and zh-hans, so do correct me if I messed it up.
>>
>> The cache for the translated Feature comparison pages has been
>> busted by
>> translating the Introduction heading. You can now proceed with
>> translating the page.
>>
>> Even more work was put into excluding unnecessary strings from the
>> translations. Hopefully everything is fine.
>>
>> Ilmari

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Feature comparison wiki page now uses Translate extension

Ok, now I finished copying the old and relevant Slovenian translations.
Martin can continue from here.

Ilmari