[libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

Mihovil Stanic Mihovil Stanic

[libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/sc/source/ui/translate.html#unit=29744374
Currect desc: Returns the actuarial rate of interest of an investment
excluding costs or profits.
Oasis desc = MS Office desc: Compute the internal rate of return for a
series of cash flows.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#IRR

I for one studied economics and had a hard time finding out waht
actuarial means... As far as I understood it it's math based on
statistics and probabilities.
That can be in some way applied to this formula, but it's
toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo complicated description. Why can't it be
just like it's in Oasis and MS Office?

Best regards,
Mihovil

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

       You're so right  :-)

       But to simplify even further, how about having it read, To compute
the internal rate of return - profit.

From: Mihovil Stanic <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description
To: LibreOffice-l10n <[hidden email]>

https://translations.**documentfoundation.org/hr/**libo_ui/sc/source/ui/**
translate.html#unit=29744374<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/sc/source/ui/translate.html#unit=29744374>
v1.2-os-part2.html#IRR<http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#IRR>

I for one studied economics and had a hard time finding out waht actuarial
means... As far as I understood it it's math based on statistics and
probabilities.
That can be in some way applied to this formula, but it's
toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo complicated description. Why can't it be just
like it's in Oasis and MS Office?

Best regards,
Mihovil

Sérgio Marques Sérgio Marques

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

Acturial value is mostly used in finance and insurance.

Actuarial value is a measure of the percentage of expected health care
costs a specific health plan will cover for the "standard" population.
Actuarial value is generally calculated using the ratio of:

*the total expected payments by the plan for essential health benefits*
*__________________________________________________________ *

*the total expected costs of the "standard" population for essential health
benefits *

It´s the discipline that uses statistis and math in the way to determine
risk and income (cash flow) and try to estabilish te present value of
future cash flows. In a way it´s similar to TIR.

http://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/bid/252609/What-is-Actuarial-Value-AV

Regards

2013/7/20 Mihovil Stanic <[hidden email]>

> https://translations.**documentfoundation.org/hr/**libo_ui/sc/source/ui/**
> translate.html#unit=29744374<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/sc/source/ui/translate.html#unit=29744374>
> Currect desc: Returns the actuarial rate of interest of an investment
> excluding costs or profits.
> Oasis desc = MS Office desc: Compute the internal rate of return for a
> series of cash flows.
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/**office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-**
> v1.2-os-part2.html#IRR<http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#IRR>
>
> I for one studied economics and had a hard time finding out waht actuarial
> means... As far as I understood it it's math based on statistics and
> probabilities.
> That can be in some way applied to this formula, but it's
> toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo complicated description. Why can't it be just
> like it's in Oasis and MS Office?

I also think that string should be as ODFF states. My translation states
that way. I must say that many of descriptions were changed in my
translations.

Sérgio Marques

Tom Tom

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

Hi :)
Sorry i am not completely clear about 2 crucial things
1.  What is the string as is?
2.  What is the suggested alternative?

I couldn't find the Oasis definitions and i loathe looking through MS Office anything.  The link given seems to be specifically about healthcare but may not have been written by someone that really knows what they are talking about.  I tried looking for something more generic and found this hopelessly detailed page in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_science
also this unclear (and also long-winded) definition
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/actuarial-valuation.asp
and this one
http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/actuarial-value/

Would it be safer to just rewrite the equation it uses but rewrite in English?  (probably not but sometimes it helps)

2013/7/21 Tom Davies <[hidden email]>

> Hi :)
> Sorry i am not completely clear about 2 crucial things
> 1.  What is the string as is?

Returns the actuarial rate of interest of an investment excluding costs or
profits

> 2.  What is the suggested alternative?

Compute the internal rate of return for a series of cash flows

Stated by ODFF.

--
Sérgio Marques

Tom Tom

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Function IRR description

Hi :)
Thanks :)  I think

Computes the internal rate of return for a series of cash flows

is a minor improvement on the 2nd one.  Neither make any sense to me but some background reading about the topic made it clear i would never understand enough to get a short simple sentence.  The 2nd one suggests that the function can handle a number of inputs and then generate a single output value.  The first suggests that you have got to put in several different parameters  in order to get a single output value.

>________________________________

Hi Tom

Best to see for yourself what IRR is.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/irr.asp

2013/7/21 Tom Davies <[hidden email]>

> Hi :)
> Thanks :)  I think
>
> Computes the internal rate of return for a series of cash flows
>
> is a minor improvement on the 2nd one.  Neither make any sense to me but
> some background reading about the topic made it clear i would never
> understand enough to get a short simple sentence.  The 2nd one suggests
> that the function can handle a number of inputs and then generate a single
> output value.  The first suggests that you have got to put in several
> different parameters in order to get a single output value.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

>  *From:* Sérgio Marques <[hidden email]>

Sérgio Marques