[libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

[libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

The Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July 17,
2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a Free
Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha is
done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt

The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
community working on Indian Language support and localizations

See below poster .

https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557

Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language press
and it is available here

http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/

The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]

International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has brought
out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]

Related Links

[1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
[2] http://www.zyxware.com/
[3] http://icfoss.in
[4] http://smc.org.in
[5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
[6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf

~ regards

Anivar Aravind
Secretary
Swathanthra Malayalam Computing
http://smc.org.in

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Dear Nivar,

Thanks a lot, great news; do you happen to have a pointer about these
news in English?

Best,

Charles.

Le 17.07.2014 10:28, Anivar Aravind a écrit :

> The Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July
> 17,
> 2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a
> Free
> Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
> Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
> unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha
> is
> done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt
>
> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
> foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>
> See below poster .
>
> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>
> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language
> press
> and it is available here
>
> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>
> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in
> the
> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>
> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has
> brought
> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]
>
> Related Links
>
> [1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
> [2] http://www.zyxware.com/
> [3] http://icfoss.in
> [4] http://smc.org.in
> [5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
> [6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf
>

> ~ regards
>
> Anivar Aravind
> Secretary
> Swathanthra Malayalam Computing
> http://smc.org.in

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Nivar,

Hi I am anivar

> Thanks a lot, great news; do you happen to have a pointer about these news
> in English?

English Press is not carried the news yet. Hope some of them will carry it
soon. and people worked on this is planning a detail post on  challenges,
issues faced and outcomes . I hope i can share the link within next few
days .

~ regards
Anivar

Rajesh Ranjan-2 Rajesh Ranjan-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:58 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >T he Kerala Legislative Assembly[1] (Kerala state , India) as of July 17,
> 2014 produces all its documentation, both printed and digital, on a Free
> Software platform using Libreoffice .  Hon. Speaker announced  in
> Legislative assembly yesterday . The point which makes this undertaking
> unique is the fact that the complete documentation at the Niyamasabha is
> done in Malayalam, a complex text indic scipt
>
> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2] in association with ICFOSS[3], a govt centre to promote
> foss  and Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC)[4] , a FOSS developer
> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>
> See below poster .
>
> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>
> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language press
> and it is available here
>
> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>
> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>
> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has brought
> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]
>
> Related Links
>
> [1] http://www.niyamasabha.org/
> [2] http://www.zyxware.com/
> [3] http://icfoss.in
> [4] http://smc.org.in
> [5] http://icfoss.in/G.O.109.pdf
> [6] http://icfoss.org/FS-Migration-Draft-Handbook.pdf

Great News Anivar! Congratulations everybody! Kerela is becoming role model for the foss efforts and no doubt, the push by different organizations and vibrant FOSS Kerala community people like you are very much helpful in achieving the same. We should try to build similar foss eco-system in other parts of India also!

------------------------
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

twitter: @kajha
facebook: rajeshkajha
www.rajeshranjan.in

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Some news links in English from today's coverage

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/Software-Migration-ICFOSS-Hails-State-Govt/2014/07/18/article2335680.ece
http://freepressjournal.in/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/news/kerala/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-149244.html
http://www.newswala.com/India-National-News/Kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-for-its-business-68287.html
http://www.bgr.in/news/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> community working on Indian Language support and localizations
>>>
>>> See below poster .
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/SMC.Project/posts/751600641550557
>>>
>>> Some media reports about the same is published in vernacular language
>>> press
>>> and it is available here
>>>
>>> http://www.madhyamam.com/news/298250/140716
>>> http://www.eastcoastdaily.com/2014/07/16/free-software/
>>>
>>> The migration was in the light of Government of Kerala's recent order
>>> announced its intention to transition computers in the Departments,
>>> institutions and PSUs under it to Free and Open Source platforms, in the
>>> opportunity caused due to expiry of support period to Windows XP.  [5]
>>>
>>> International centre for free and open source software(ICFOSS) has
>>> brought
>>> out a Handbook last month to support the process of migration [6]

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Thanks, just tweeted it!

Best,

Charles.

Anousak Souphavanh Anousak Souphavanh

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Well done and congrats for the efforrs you guys put in.

Anousak
Lao Open Source
On Jul 18, 2014 1:52 PM, "Charles-H. Schulz" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, just tweeted it!
>
> Best,
>
> Charles.
>
> On 18 juillet 2014 06:59:43 CEST, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >Some news links in English from today's coverage
> >

> http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/Software-Migration-ICFOSS-Hails-State-Govt/2014/07/18/article2335680.ece
> >
> http://freepressjournal.in/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
> >
> http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/news/kerala/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-149244.html
> >
> http://www.newswala.com/India-National-News/Kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform-for-its-business-68287.html
> >
> http://www.bgr.in/news/kerala-assembly-migrates-to-free-software-platform/
> >

> >On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Anivar Aravind
> ><[hidden email]>
> >wrote:

> >> Hi I am anivar

> >these
> >>>

> >> English Press is not carried the news yet. Hope some of them will
> >carry it
> >> soon. and people worked on this is planning a detail post on
> >challenges,
> >> issues faced and outcomes . I hope i can share the link within next
> >few
> >> days .
> >>
> >> ~ regards
> >> Anivar

> >July 17,
> >Free
> >undertaking
> >Niyamasabha is

> >promote
> >developer

> >language

> >order
> >in the
> >[5]

> >these

> >July 17,
> >Free
> >undertaking
> >Niyamasabha is

> >promote
> >developer

> >language

> >order
> >in the
> >[5]

> >--
> >All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >deleted
>
> --
> Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

Anivar Aravind Anivar Aravind

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Best News report so far
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/states/kerala-legislature-announces-smooth-transition-to-free-software/article6224551.ece

use this for sharing /case studies

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
> http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

"Charles-H. Schulz":

> The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
> Technologies[2]

Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Urmas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Charles-H. Schulz":
>

>  The migration process is implimented with the support of  Zyxware
>> Technologies[2]
>>

> Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
> But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.

WTF?

We l10n people in india usually calls it as "Swathantra Software" (means
Libre/freedom Software) as reported in local language press. If you have
ambiguity with the word "free ". That is a problem in your understanding .
Please stop judging local contexts with mistaken understandings.

And In this part of the Glob we have all Govt and state aided Schools using
FOSS, Govt policies have specific mention about FOSS . Experiences like
this were state funds for an implementation partner to initiate migration .

~

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

> Best News report so far
>
> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/states/kerala-legislature-announces-smooth-transition-to-free-software/article6224551.ece
>
> use this for sharing /case studies
>

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Anivar Aravind <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A more detailed note by Zyxware is published on their Blog
> >
> http://www.zyxware.com/articles/4358/zyxware-helps-kerala-state-legislative-assembly-move-to-free-software

​Wonderful news, Anivar ! Thanks for the heads-up !

Henri

William Gathoye William Gathoye

[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-users] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

This is all pretty fantastic!  Congrats to anyone involved.

Please can we just drop all the threads that have an Urmas in them?  Just
ignore the obvious FUD and avoid engaging.

If doing a migration with any kind of assessment of hardware requirements
or with any advice from almost anyone familiar with OpenSource then it's
highly likely that little or no new hardware needs to be bought except
where hand-helds are seen as more useful than a desktop.

Without guidance people might have ended up buying new kit but will soon
find that new kit lasts "forever".  Staying with proprietary systems means
fairly frequent hardware upgrades just in order to keep doing the same
stuff.  If people have upgraded to new hardware they will also begin to
realise they can bring the old stuff back into use, or give to worthy
causes such as those with charitable aims.

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Hi Anivar,

On 2014.07.21 19:15, Anivar Aravind wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Urmas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
>> But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.
> WTF?
>
> We l10n people in india usually calls it as "Swathantra Software" (means
> Libre/freedom Software) as reported in local language press. If you have
> ambiguity with the word "free ". That is a problem in your understanding .
> Please stop judging local contexts with mistaken understandings.
>
> And In this part of the Glob we have all Govt and state aided Schools using
> FOSS, Govt policies have specific mention about FOSS . Experiences like
> this were state funds for an implementation partner to initiate migration .

It's not the first time Urmas is bashing random people on OSS mailing
lists (incl. LibO), and it's probably not the last time either.  I
suggest to just ignore his crappy remarks.

Question to board members: I wonder, for how long will such behavior be
tolerated?

Rimas

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Hi Rimas, all
Le 22/07/2014 22:02, Rimas Kudelis a écrit :

> Hi Anivar,
>
> On 2014.07.21 19:15, Anivar Aravind wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Urmas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Another story of embezzling of funds veiled as 'free software migration.'
>>> But officially it was enthusiasts working 12/24 for food.
>> WTF?
>>
>> We l10n people in india usually calls it as "Swathantra Software" (means
>> Libre/freedom Software) as reported in local language press. If you have
>> ambiguity with the word "free ". That is a problem in your understanding .
>> Please stop judging local contexts with mistaken understandings.
>>
>> And In this part of the Glob we have all Govt and state aided Schools using
>> FOSS, Govt policies have specific mention about FOSS . Experiences like
>> this were state funds for an implementation partner to initiate migration .
>
> It's not the first time Urmas is bashing random people on OSS mailing
> lists (incl. LibO), and it's probably not the last time either.  I
> suggest to just ignore his crappy remarks.
>
> Question to board members: I wonder, for how long will such behavior be
> tolerated?

I've transfered his first message to the Board for action. Such a
behavior can't be tolerated in our community.

Cheers
Sophie

Redon Skikuli Redon Skikuli

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Great news! Congrats to everyone that worked to make this happen.
I shared this with the minister of innovation of Albania as a case study
worth checking out (at least).

Best,

*---*

*Redon Skikuli*
*e-mail: **[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*
* web: **www.skikuli.com <http://www.skikuli.com>*

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Kerala Legislative Assembly has moved to Free Software and Libreoffice

Sadly the Board can't do much.

At best they can stop everyone else on the mailing list from seeing
whatever Urmas posts but they can't stop him/her from simply using "Reply
to" or "reply to all" to post off-list messages to anyone posting to the
list.  It would take much for them to do something even more damaging
without the mailing list as a whole being aware of it.  On another mailing
list Urmas has been accused of bullying people off-list.

The way the mailing lists used to be set-up was that using "Reply to" would
only go to the mailing list as a whole.  So back then to send to an
individual meant you would first have to find and then copy&pasting an
email address into the "To" or CC" fields.  That is all tooo complicated
for the average computer user so it gave a bit of security and meant things
like this could be dealt with fairly neatly.

Nowadays there is nothing we can do to make it difficult to send private
messages off-list.  All we can do is to pretend we don't know that people
get bullied off-list when they register on our mailing lists :(

Given all that i would rather know what is being said so that we can
usually support people if they do get attacked as a result of signing up
for these mailing-lists.

Valter Mura Valter Mura

In data mercoledì 23 luglio 2014 09:10:21, Sophie ha scritto:

> Hi Rimas, all
>
> Le 22/07/2014 22:02, Rimas Kudelis a écrit :
> > Hi Anivar,

> >> WTF?
> >>
> >> We l10n people in india usually calls it as "Swathantra Software" (means
> >> Libre/freedom Software) as reported in local language press. If you have
> >> ambiguity with the word "free ". That is a problem in your understanding
> >> .
> >> Please stop judging local contexts with mistaken understandings.
> >>
> >> And In this part of the Glob we have all Govt and state aided Schools
> >> using
> >> FOSS, Govt policies have specific mention about FOSS . Experiences like
> >> this were state funds for an implementation partner to initiate migration
> >> .
> >
> > It's not the first time Urmas is bashing random people on OSS mailing
> > lists (incl. LibO), and it's probably not the last time either.  I
> > suggest to just ignore his crappy remarks.
> >
> > Question to board members: I wonder, for how long will such behavior be
> > tolerated?
>
> I've transfered his first message to the Board for action. Such a
> behavior can't be tolerated in our community.

Oh, he/she is simply a debunker who works in the word processor area, he/she
is only trying to discredit LibreOffice (not only), maybe for personal reasons.

--
Valter
Open Source is better!