[libreoffice-l10n] L10n Wiki pages

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

[libreoffice-l10n] L10n Wiki pages

Hi,
I've reordered the table at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_Teams, it's now sorted
alphabetically by language name by default. While doing that, I've also
fixed a few language codes that didn't match the actual ones or used an
unusual (for us) form, e.g. oc_FR -> oc-FR, bg-BG -> bg, ca-xv -> ca-XV.

I also fixed a few (non-working) links to wiki pages to use language
codes systematically (except Laotian, which already had a page at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lo-LA/Main_Page).

After doing that, I've also noticed that there's an updated instruction
about using different languages in wiki at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Multilingual_Wiki. Among other
things, it suggests that the top-level locale pages should be called
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE instead of
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/Main_Page. I suggest all teams
to actually follow this advice and update their content/links appropriately.

Also, I'd like to suggest that Lao localizers change the langauge code
they use for their wiki page, to be consistent with the language code
used elsewhere (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LO).

Any comments?

Regards,
Rimas

Xuacu Saturio Xuacu Saturio

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] L10n Wiki pages

El sábadu, 11-avientu-2010 a les 12:30 +0200, Rimas Kudelis escribió:

> [...]
> After doing that, I've also noticed that there's an updated instruction
> about using different languages in wiki at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Multilingual_Wiki. Among other
> things, it suggests that the top-level locale pages should be called
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE instead of
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/Main_Page. I suggest all teams
> to actually follow this advice and update their content/links appropriately.
> [...]

OMG! I just did the opposite for Asturian language a few days ago! For
me, it makes more sense the http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE
schema, but I understood that, because wiki structure, it could be
easier to have interwiki links using the
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE/LOCALE schema... Just in case, I
left a redirection in the previous place ;)

Now, I'm totally confused. Which schema should be used? We need to have
consensus on this before further translation of wiki contents.

More opinions?

Saludinos

Xuacu Saturio

2010.12.12 17:06, Xuacu rašė:

> El sábadu, 11-avientu-2010 a les 12:30 +0200, Rimas Kudelis escribió:
>
>> [...]
>> After doing that, I've also noticed that there's an updated instruction
>> about using different languages in wiki at
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Multilingual_Wiki. Among other
>> things, it suggests that the top-level locale pages should be called
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE instead of
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/Main_Page. I suggest all teams
>> to actually follow this advice and update their content/links appropriately.
>> [...]
> OMG! I just did the opposite for Asturian language a few days ago! For
> me, it makes more sense the http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE
> schema, but I understood that, because wiki structure, it could be
> easier to have interwiki links using the
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE/LOCALE schema... Just in case, I
> left a redirection in the previous place ;)
>
> Now, I'm totally confused. Which schema should be used? We need to have
> consensus on this before further translation of wiki contents.

Both schemas should be used, but for different types of content. see the
first link.

In short:
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE and
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/PAGE is for content that is
specific to that locale. Here first link is the wiki home page of that
locale.
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE and
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE/LOCALE is for content that is
relevant for all locales and is thus translated from the base language
(English). Here first link is the article in English.

Hope this helps,
Rimas

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

2010/12/12 Rimas Kudelis <[hidden email]>

> Both schemas should be used, but for different types of content. see the
> first link.
>
> In short:
> * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE and
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/PAGE is for content that is
> specific to that locale. Here first link is the wiki home page of that
> locale.
> * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE and
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE/LOCALE is for content that is
> relevant for all locales and is thus translated from the base language
> (English). Here first link is the article in English.

This would mean that the online help should be in the second schema.

Lp, m.

2010.12.12 18:58, Martin Srebotnjak rašė:

> 2010/12/12 Rimas Kudelis<[hidden email]>
>
>> Both schemas should be used, but for different types of content. see the
>> first link.
>>
>> In short:
>> * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE and
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOCALE/PAGE is for content that is
>> specific to that locale. Here first link is the wiki home page of that
>> locale.
>> * http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE and
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PAGE/LOCALE is for content that is
>> relevant for all locales and is thus translated from the base language
>> (English). Here first link is the article in English.
>>

> This would mean that the online help should be in the second schema.

I would guess so.

Rimas