[libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Mihovil Stanic Mihovil Stanic

[libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hello all,

New LO website is live now so I have question.
Will we be able to localize it (on libreoffice.org, not those team
libreoffice pages)?
Are there any plans for localized websites (like Mozilla has for
Firefox, Thunderbird etc.)?

Best regards,
Mihovil

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hi Mihovil,
Le 07/03/2014 18:48, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> New LO website is live now so I have question.
> Will we be able to localize it (on libreoffice.org, not those team
> libreoffice pages)?

Yes, we will be able to localize the site
> Are there any plans for localized websites (like Mozilla has for
> Firefox, Thunderbird etc.)?

there is already localized websites, it seems that I don't understand
your question :)
I'll have a look this weekend but Florian has already created the task
on redmine https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/232

Cheers
Sophie

Dana 7.3.2014. 19:00, Sophie je napisao:
> there is already localized websites, it seems that I don't understand
> your question :)

Where?
We wanted to localize libreoffice.org 1 year ago, but it was said it
wasn't possible. We could only run our own subdomain (something like
hr.libreoffice.org) with our content and localization which isn't
interesting to me.

Best regards,
Mihovil

sophi sophi

Le 07/03/2014 19:04, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :

> Dana 7.3.2014. 19:00, Sophie je napisao:
>> there is already localized websites, it seems that I don't understand
>> your question :)
>
> Where?
> We wanted to localize libreoffice.org 1 year ago, but it was said it
> wasn't possible. We could only run our own subdomain (something like
> hr.libreoffice.org) with our content and localization which isn't
> interesting to me.

So, you see I didn't understand your question :) and you're right we
will have subdomains like in the past because some of us don't have the
same content as the EN site and we would like to preserve this
possibility to have either the same or a different content.

Cheers
Sophie

Dana 7.3.2014. 19:12, Sophie je napisao:
> So, you see I didn't understand your question :) and you're right we
> will have subdomains like in the past because some of us don't have the
> same content as the EN site and we would like to preserve this
> possibility to have either the same or a different content.
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

So, no libreoffice.org main site localization in the end? :)
I have no interest in new content or managing contant, I would just like
to have main page in my language if possible.

Best regards,
Mihovil

sophi sophi

Le 07/03/2014 19:15, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :

> Dana 7.3.2014. 19:12, Sophie je napisao:
>> So, you see I didn't understand your question :) and you're right we
>> will have subdomains like in the past because some of us don't have the
>> same content as the EN site and we would like to preserve this
>> possibility to have either the same or a different content.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Sophie
>>

> So, no libreoffice.org main site localization in the end? :)

It seems we lose the choice of content for all in that case.
> I have no interest in new content or managing contant, I would just like
> to have main page in my language if possible.

May be you can just copy the html from the EN website and translate it,
the download page has a script to update the versions, doing so, you
just translate the main page once and have only the version numbers to
update on the download page.

Cheers
Sophie

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hi :)
The in-built help download button seems to be missing in English (GB)
is it missing for other languages too?

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hi :)
I just had another look and it's there now.  It was several hours ago
that i last looked and i think they must have fixed it since then.

On 7 March 2014 18:39, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> The in-built help download button seems to be missing in English (GB)
> is it missing for other languages too?
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 7 March 2014 18:24, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> So, no libreoffice.org main site localization in the end? :)
>>
>> It seems we lose the choice of content for all in that case.
>>> I have no interest in new content or managing contant, I would just like
>>> to have main page in my language if possible.
>>
>> May be you can just copy the html from the EN website and translate it,
>> the download page has a script to update the versions, doing so, you
>> just translate the main page once and have only the version numbers to
>> update on the download page.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Sophie

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Can a l10n team decide to use the old design of website if they do not
like the new design/content distribution?

Lp, m.

> Le 07/03/2014 19:15, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :
>>
>> Dana 7.3.2014. 19:12, Sophie je napisao:
>>> So, you see I didn't understand your question :) and you're right we
>>> will have subdomains like in the past because some of us don't have the
>>> same content as the EN site and we would like to preserve this
>>> possibility to have either the same or a different content.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Sophie
>>>

>> So, no libreoffice.org main site localization in the end? :)
>
> It seems we lose the choice of content for all in that case.
>> I have no interest in new content or managing contant, I would just like
>> to have main page in my language if possible.
>
> May be you can just copy the html from the EN website and translate it,
> the download page has a script to update the versions, doing so, you
> just translate the main page once and have only the version numbers to
> update on the download page.
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hello Martin,

I would actually advise against that. I think one can have different
pages, different content, but it's all too easy to claim that one new
design is not liked. I don't claim it's not a respectable opinion, but
if you only knew the number of people who didn't like our old website,
then we would have gotten about 15 different designs by that time.

My suggestion is admittedly a rather marketing and design-based one:
stick with the new one. Customize it however you want, but keep the
branding . It increases our brand coherence and the user experience as
well.

Best,

Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,

Cymrodor Cymrodor

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

I don't understand why there's no localised Welsh (Cymraeg) site at
cy.libreoffice.org.

There appears to be a Welsh website translation at 100%;
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cy/

In the Welsh LibreOffice programs, the "About Us" window has a "Website"
button which links to the "Page not found" at http://cy.libreoffice.org/.

Hwyl,

Aled

On 07/03/2014 18:00, Sophie wrote:

> Hi Mihovil,
> Le 07/03/2014 18:48, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :
>> Hello all,
>>
>> New LO website is live now so I have question.
>> Will we be able to localize it (on libreoffice.org, not those team
>> libreoffice pages)?
> Yes, we will be able to localize the site
>> Are there any plans for localized websites (like Mozilla has for
>> Firefox, Thunderbird etc.)?
> there is already localized websites, it seems that I don't understand
> your question :)
> I'll have a look this weekend but Florian has already created the task
> on redmine https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/232
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] LibreOffice website localization?

Hello Aled,

2014.03.08 23:33, Cymrodor wrote:
> I don't understand why there's no localised Welsh (Cymraeg) site at
> cy.libreoffice.org.
>
> There appears to be a Welsh website translation at 100%;
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cy/

I mentioned this on a couple occasions previously. This small project on
Pootle only covers localization of certain aspects of the website, such
as the Downloads and Donations modules. To actually get your locale a
website, you have to follow the instructions at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/NewWebsiteNLT .

Regards,
Rimas