[libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

sophie sophie

[libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Hi all,

Christian will migrate the projects in Pootle to Weblate in the next weeks.
For offline translators, would that be a problem for you to have 6.3 on
Weblate and not more in Pootle?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Valter Mura Valter Mura

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Il 25/09/19 15:43, sophi ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> Christian will migrate the projects in Pootle to Weblate in the next weeks.
> For offline translators, would that be a problem for you to have 6.3 on
> Weblate and not more in Pootle?

Hi,

for us no problem.

The only thing I need is, once migration done and before we start to
"really" translate, to have the possibility to manage admin/user rights,
in order to assign correctly them to users.

Ciao
--
Valter
Open Source is better!

Mihkel Tõnnov Mihkel Tõnnov

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Valter Mura (<[hidden email]>), 30. september 2019 kell 00:17:

> Il 25/09/19 15:43, sophi ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Christian will migrate the projects in Pootle to Weblate in the next
> weeks.
> > For offline translators, would that be a problem for you to have 6.3 on
> > Weblate and not more in Pootle?
>
> Hi,
>
> for us no problem.
>
> The only thing I need is, once migration done and before we start to
> "really" translate, to have the possibility to manage admin/user rights,
> in order to assign correctly them to users.

 Hi,

Will there be a way to download and upload many/all files at once on
Weblate, as it can be done on Pootle?
If "yes", then OK by me.
If "no", then it's a problem, as I'm in the middle of some
terminology/consistency work across the translation (UI/help), with many
files being changed.
Additionally, on a quick glance, I didn't find an option to download the
templates (.pot's). I kinda need those for my (offline) workflow.

Also +1 to what Valter said about managing the rights.

Best regards,
Mihkel
Estonian one-man-team

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Hi Valter,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM Valter Mura <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 25/09/19 15:43, sophi ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Christian will migrate the projects in Pootle to Weblate in the next weeks.
> > For offline translators, would that be a problem for you to have 6.3 on
> > Weblate and not more in Pootle?
>
> The only thing I need is, once migration done and before we start to
> "really" translate, to have the possibility to manage admin/user rights,
> in order to assign correctly them to users.

Does your team really change that frequently that you need to do it
yourself/that going through Sophie or other admins as an intermediate
step doesn't work for you?

Or do you ask because your current team members don't have the correct
privileges?

ciao
Christian

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Hi *,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:11 AM Mihkel Tõnnov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Valter Mura (<[hidden email]>), 30. september 2019 kell 00:17:
>
> Will there be a way to download and upload many/all files at once on
> Weblate, as it can be done on Pootle?
> If "yes", then OK by me.

"Yes", but not via weblate ui, but via the repository
https://github.com/LibreOffice/translations-weblate
At least until we patched that into weblate, but I wouldn't count on
that in the next month or two...

> If "no", then it's a problem, as I'm in the middle of some
> terminology/consistency work across the translation (UI/help), with many
> files being changed.
> Additionally, on a quick glance, I didn't find an option to download the
> templates (.pot's). I kinda need those for my (offline) workflow.

Those are also in the abovementioned repo.

> Also +1 to what Valter said about managing the rights.

Same question to you then. Do you ask because current permissions are
not correct or because you have high fluctuation in your team?

ciao
Christian

Mihkel Tõnnov Mihkel Tõnnov

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Christian Lohmaier (<[hidden email]>), 30. september
2019 kell 16:02:

> Hi *,
>
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:11 AM Mihkel Tõnnov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Valter Mura (<[hidden email]>), 30. september 2019 kell
> 00:17:
> >
> > Will there be a way to download and upload many/all files at once on
> > Weblate, as it can be done on Pootle?
> > If "yes", then OK by me.
>
> "Yes", but not via weblate ui, but via the repository
> https://github.com/LibreOffice/translations-weblate
> At least until we patched that into weblate, but I wouldn't count on
> that in the next month or two...

What about batch *up*loading? If there's no way for that in Weblate, I see
two possibilities, neither of which is exactly good:
a) committing the files to GitHub directly - but won't they then get
overwritten again by whatever is on Weblate?
b) removing Estonian from Weblate and committing to GitHub directly - but
then there's no easily accessible public overview of the state of things.
How is this solved for the few other teams who translate offline?

> If "no", then it's a problem, as I'm in the middle of some
> > terminology/consistency work across the translation (UI/help), with many
> > files being changed.
> > Additionally, on a quick glance, I didn't find an option to download the
> > templates (.pot's). I kinda need those for my (offline) workflow.
>
> Those are also in the abovementioned repo.
>
> > Also +1 to what Valter said about managing the rights.
>
> Same question to you then. Do you ask because current permissions are
> not correct or because you have high fluctuation in your team?

There is literally no fluctuation in my team, only me :) / :(
The reason for asking is that in Pootle I have set that any (not
necessarily even logged in) users can make suggestions, in case someone
finds an error in translation or has an improvement idea. This possibility
has also been used a few times. If this can be set up like this also in
Weblate by Sophie or anyone else, then fine by me.
In addition, I presume that if someone requests to join my language team,
that request would then be passed to me for approval, so I can make sure
the applicant has needed level of language skills, agree on
style/terminology, etc.

Best regards,
Mihkel

F Wolff F Wolff

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

I haven't had time yet to try Weblate.

Like others I would like to make sure it is possible to download and upload
files to enable offline translation. Can someone please summarise what is
possible on Weblate?

Thanks
Friedel

Op Wo. 25 Sep. 2019 om 15:43 het sophi <[hidden email]> geskryf:

https://fwolff.net.za/

Mihkel Tõnnov Mihkel Tõnnov

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

F Wolff (<[hidden email]>), 2. oktoober 2019 kell 20:22:

> I haven't had time yet to try Weblate.
>
> Like others I would like to make sure it is possible to download and upload
> files to enable offline translation. Can someone please summarise what is
> possible on Weblate?

On Weblate itself, download/upload only works one file at a time.
However there is https://github.com/LibreOffice/translations-weblate which
at least allows to batch *download* via a Git client.
Possibilities for batch *upload* are still unclear, it seems.

HTH,
Mihkel

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 7:45 PM Mihkel Tõnnov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christian Lohmaier (<[hidden email]>), 30. september 2019 kell 16:02:
>
> What about batch *up*loading? If there's no way for that in Weblate, I see two possibilities, neither of which is exactly good:
> a) committing the files to GitHub directly - but won't they then get overwritten again by whatever is on Weblate?

They wouldn't get overridden by weblate, rather weblate would error
out with a merge error that I would then have to fix, and I'd rather
tend to avoid that :-)

> b) removing Estonian from Weblate and committing to GitHub directly - but then there's no easily accessible public overview of the state of things.
> How is this solved for the few other teams who translate offline?

Thats even worse, then you wouldn't get the sanity-checks done by
weblate and similar and likely will mess with my process of updating
templates and committing to source again as well.

but there's option
 c) for those projects really wanting to upload all at once: use the
weblate client program and use a script to automate the upload using
the API:
https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-3.8/wlc.html

> There is literally no fluctuation in my team, only me :) / :(
> The reason for asking is that in Pootle I have set that any (not necessarily even logged in) users can make suggestions, in case someone finds an error in translation or has an improvement idea. This possibility has also been used a few times. If this can be set up like this also in Weblate by Sophie or anyone else, then fine by me.

Sure, that can be setup. so to confirm: you want anyone, including
anonymous users without any login to be able to make suggestions?

> In addition, I presume that if someone requests to join my language team, that request would then be passed to me for approval, so I can make sure the applicant has needed level of language skills, agree on style/terminology, etc.

yes, basically it is handled with pootle as well for cases where
people don't find the admin-interface for it or where the old contact
is no longer active.

ciao
Christian

Sveinn í Felli-2 Sveinn í Felli-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Þann 4.10.2019 10:16, skrifaði Christian Lohmaier:
>   c) for those projects really wanting to upload all at once: use the
> weblate client program and use a script to automate the upload using
> the API:
> https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-3.8/wlc.html

This is interesting. I guess that those who are susceptible to use batch
upload/download are mostly language coordinators with some scripting
experience. We could of course share our scripts here.

best,
Sveinn í Felli

sophie sophie

Le 04/10/2019 à 12:33, Sveinn í Felli a écrit :
> Þann 4.10.2019 10:16, skrifaði Christian Lohmaier:
>>   c) for those projects really wanting to upload all at once: use the
>> weblate client program and use a script to automate the upload using
>> the API:
>> https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-3.8/wlc.html
>
> This is interesting. I guess that those who are susceptible to use batch
> upload/download are mostly language coordinators with some scripting
> experience. We could of course share our scripts here.

That's a good idea :) maybe best would be to store them in the 10n part
of the wiki?
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Foundation coordinator
The Document Foundation

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Migrating 6.3 project to Weblate

Hi Sophie, *,

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 1:36 PM sophi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 04/10/2019 à 12:33, Sveinn í Felli a écrit :
> > Þann 4.10.2019 10:16, skrifaði Christian Lohmaier:
> >>   c) for those projects really wanting to upload all at once: use the
> >> weblate client program and use a script to automate the upload using
> >> the API:
> >> https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-3.8/wlc.html
> >
> > This is interesting. I guess that those who are susceptible to use batch
> > upload/download are mostly language coordinators with some scripting
> > experience. We could of course share our scripts here.
>
> That's a good idea :) maybe best would be to store them in the 10n part
> of the wiki?

As I like perl better than python, I wrote a helper script that will
take care of downloading multiple files
https://gist.github.com/cloph/76d4c22f0e0d8c81c55a8acab98c3311

copying the builtin help here for reference.

Usage:
    weblate-download.pl is used to download multiple po files for a project
    from TDF's weblate server. Downloading will replicate the directory
    structure as used in the repository. Note that anonymous access is
    restricted to 100 requests/day.

    Examples (use --help to see all options):

    "weblate-download.pl -t /tmp/pofiles -p libo_help-master -l fr"
    "weblate-download.pl -k -l vec -f dictionaries"

    All options names are case-insensitive and can be abbreviated as long as
    the prefix is still unique

    --target=/path/to/save/to
        the target directory (will be created if it doesn't exist already) to
        use for the download

        defaults to /var/tmp/weblate-download

    --project=project
        the project to process - either "libo_ui-master" or "libo_help-master"
        defaults to libo_ui-master

    --language=lang
        the language to download, required.

    --filter=componenteprefix
        optional option to restrict the download to only those components that
        start with "componentprefix"

    --verbose
        optional switch to output more progress information

    --keyfile[=fileWithApiKey]
        optional switch to enable authenticated API access. If "--keyfile" is
        specified without a pathname, it defaults to ~/.config/tdf-weblate

        If the option is not specified, anonymous access is used (restricted
        to 100 requests/day) The file should contain just your personal API
        key (found in weblate → profile-icon → settings → API access)

    --overwrite
        optional switch to overwrite already existing files. If not specified,
        download will be skipped for existing files.

        Use at your own risk.

    --help
        show this help

ciao